Granular Guitars for Padshop

All topics on Padshop and Padshop Pro
Jan Neddermann
Steinberg Employee

Granular Guitars for Padshop

Post by Jan Neddermann » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:12 pm

Created by sound designer and composer Simon Stockhausen comes our second signature VST Sound Instrument Set Granular Guitars.

Exclusively made for the Padshop Pro and Padshop instruments based on granular synthesis, Granular Guitars spans close to three gigabytes of samples covering acoustic and electric guitars, psaltery, celtic harp and oud. Also included are 260 presets that provide beautiful textures and different approaches to guitar distortion among the many exciting sounds Granular Guitars has to offer.

Simon Stockhausen said: “My love for guitars and other plucked or bowed string instruments is manifested in the sound library of Granular Guitars.”

Read more
http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/so ... itars.html
Jan Neddermann, Steinberg Tech Support
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany

Check out Steinberg on YouTube, Twitter and Facebook!

The Sarge

Re: Granular Guitars for Padshop

Post by The Sarge » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:14 pm

not enough guitars or other bowed instruments heard in the 13 demotracks

but why then calling it GUITARS?
better rename it into "Granular Scapes" or something, that is what the demotracks shows...

so I wouldn´t buy it, coz the "promised" type ins´t that what you get

sorry, but real Guitars granulized would be something, what I could imagine for my ambient-style music :cry:
i7-3770k, Cubase 6.0.7 und Pro8.5, M-Audiophile2496, 2x Midisport2x4, E-MU Orbit + PlanetEarth + Orbit3 + Mo´Phatt + Proteus1-3, Roland M-VS1 + JV1010 inkl.Asia + MC303, Yamaha QS300 + RM1x, Nubert nuPro A-200,
NI KOMPLETE10U + MASCHINE Mk2, Korg Legacy+Analog Collection inkl. MS-20Controller, Arturia V-Collection4, Absolute VST Sound Collection3, u-he Diva & Zebra & HiVE & Bazille & ACE & Repro1, Reveal Sound Spire, Synthmaster
how horny is that then ^^

curteye
External Moderator

Post by curteye » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:22 am

The Sarge wrote:not enough guitars or other bowed instruments heard in the 13 demotracks
but why then calling it GUITARS?
better rename it into "Granular Scapes" or something, that is what the demotracks shows...
so I wouldn´t buy it, coz the "promised" type ins´t that what you get
sorry, but real Guitars granulized would be something, what I could imagine for my ambient-style music :cry:
Agreed.

Omni does most (or very close) of what I heard in the demos.

Nice sounds for sure but just imagine trying to play a simple C major scale with them.
Or anything 'fast'. And many guit players loooove to 'shred'!

However If it is not too expensive ($30.00 or so) I will probably grab it because I never know what a client might like/ask for
but IMHO what is really wanted (at least by me) is an updated modern 64 bit Steiny version of
'Virtual Guitars/Basses' but that does not seem to be possibility.

For now anyway. But never say never.
{'-'}
If yer gear ain't breakin down, you aint workin' much.

iMac i7 2.8Gz 16GB-10.10x...../C5.5/6.5/7.5/CP8
MBP 3.0Gz......16GB-10.10x.../CP8

On the side of a volcano in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

jconstantine

Post by jconstantine » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:12 am

Cubase 7.5 crash every time I try to load the granular guitars...?
The demo license appears and seems to be fine and already did maintenance and repair in the e-licenser.
Any ideas?

TIA
Windows 10 64 ,i7 7700k 4.2 Ghz,32 RAM DDR4,Asus Prime Z270-A ,Nvidia GForce GT710,SSD 250 GB,RME UFX+,RME AIO,Apollo 8,Macbook Air i5 2017,Cubase Pro 9.5.3, Wavelab 9.5, Halion 6, GA4,Pro Tools 12.8, UAD 2, SSL Native, Waves Gold,hardware synths & samplers.
Nektar Panorama P6,Yamaha 01v96i,NS10,Behritone,Genelec 8050a and VXT8

matjones

Post by matjones » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:49 am

All working beautifully here..... i can understand how people might feel mislead a little but i think i'm seeing it 'for what it is'...... (possibly cos i'm not a guitarist... of the 6 string variety) and from time to time i quite enjoy working with soundscapes and more abstract ideas for which this is perfect....... although i've just used one of the patches as an intro to a mad disco/electro hybrid thang we're working on currently...... i could also see this getting some serious usage in something like a horror or suspense film... all depends on what your wants/needs are i suppose but i thought for £31 or so it was a steal :D
Cubase 9.0.20/9.5 Asus P9X79 LE, i7 4820K@ 3.7GHz, 32GB Corsair 1600 RAM, Asus R5 230, RME Multiface II PCIe, SSL Alpha Channel, Duende, UAD2 Solo/Quad, Pod X3 Pro, Slate VCC/VTM/Trigger etc, SoundToys 5, Waves 9, HALion 6, The Grand 3, BFD3 (+ Expansions), WL9.5 elements, Melodyne Studio 4, Arturia VC5, Relab LX480, iZotope MPS,Various toys, Telefunken, Neumann, AKG,Shure Mics, Adam A7X and Avantone monitors, AKG K702, Nektar P6, Warwick, Spector Basses, Gibson Les Paul Studio & loads of other junk.

Minds are like parachutes, they work best when they're open.

biesmusik

Post by biesmusik » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:06 pm

hello,where can i find the presets to granular guitars?
the samples are there, but i cant find the presets...

thanx

best reguards

Stinger64

Post by Stinger64 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:09 pm

On my Windows Vista system the installer installed the presets in the
C:\Users\(My Name)\AppData\Roaming\VST3 Presets\Steinberg Media Technologies\Padshop folder.

Previous to the installation of Granular Guitars all my Steinberg presets (Factory, Factory Pro, Zero Gravity, Granular Symphonies) were installed in the
C:\ProgramData\VST3 Presets\Steinberg Media Technologies\Padshop folder.

BUT after the Granular Guitars installation ... the Padshop Preset Browser would not detect the presets in the ProgramData folder ... so I had to move everything in the ProgramData folder over to the AppData folder so the Padshop Preset Browser would detect all of my Steinberg presets.

I dunno why this happened. I can only speculate.

When installing Granular Guitars I also had to download and update the eLicenser data base ... maybe that had something to do with it ... but my hunch is that with Granular Guitars ... Steinberg might have decided to revise the folder detected by the Padshop Preset Browser. I suppose it could also have to do with Steinbergs desire to coordinate Padshop with Cubase as well ... or maybe it's because I use Vista.

KenB

biesmusik wrote:hello,where can i find the presets to granular guitars?
the samples are there, but i cant find the presets.

Maincat

Post by Maincat » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:12 pm

I'm disappointed with Granular Guitars. Too many patches sound 'samey' and I didn't get the feeling of a guitar being played.

I know Padshop is the platform and by design comes out with some weird results. Some of these I've used. 39 Euros doesn't compare well with other, more musical, soundsets.

So I'll let the demo run out. They may be great for some genres, but for me GG is a miss.
Steve
Cubase Pro 9.5.30, Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit Version 1709, 8 Gig RAM, AMD Phenom II 955 BE X4, 27" Acer LCD, GX460, Steinberg UR242, Yamaha KX8, Nektar LX88, Shure SM58, Yamaha HS50Ms with Yamaha HS8M Sub., Yamaha HPH-MT7W Headphones, Kontakt 5.7.3, The Grand 3.1, Neo Soul Keys, Groove Agent 4, WaveLab Elements 9.5, ASUS Nexus 7 2013, Android 6.0, Cubase IC PRO and lots of other stuff.

Stinger64

Post by Stinger64 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:36 pm

@Maincat

This comment isn't specific to GG nor any other Padshop soundset.

Regarding sameness ... from time to time I get that impression for all Padshop patches and samples regardless of who made them. There's a lot of content within each patch and sample, some of it hidden ... and Padshop can manipulate them to such a degree ... that you're left with a pretty wide range of sounds and tones that can be created from a single patch or sample.

For me it's a question of fluency and imagination. I don't yet have the chops to jump right in and know what to do within Padshop to create what I want to hear ... and when it comes to composition I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to use sequenced and rhythmic patches and patches that are less musical. But still ... the more I play with Padshop the more I'm learning and the more success I have in this regard ... and because of it I'm using Padshop more and more these days.

As to GG ... I think it's fine soundset ... and I enjoy using it as much as any of the other Padshop soundsets!

KenB

biesmusik

Post by biesmusik » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:33 pm

thanx for the support
my padshop havent got the presets but i can import presets from the computer

Return to “Padshop and Padshop Pro”