Is it possible to edit/alphabetize the mp3 genre field?

For users of legacy Steinberg Cubase software
enjneer

Re: Is it possible to edit/alphabetize the mp3 genre field?

Post by enjneer »

+1

Would love to be able to add all id3 tags, actually
http://dahlhousestudios.com
Mac Pro 2008 (3.1); 14G RAM; GeForce GT 120 512M
OSX 10.9
FireFace 800
UAD 2 Duo
Bryston 4B
Yamaha NS-10Ms
Presonus Central Station
Cubase 7; 7.5; 8 64-bit
Wavelab 7

Sunshy

Post by Sunshy »

+ a billion. The random list is just plain silly.
N 10 Cubase 10
Intel Core I7-3930K Sandy Bridge 3.8, 64 GB Corsair RAM, Itel 330 Series SSD Drive for OS, Win 10 Pro 64 bit
RME UFX, UR28M, CC 121, Blackmagic Intensity Pro

Puma0382

Post by Puma0382 »

SteveInChicago wrote:I would bet that this was a 3rd party module from a vendor that no longer exists, or who no can longer do business with SB, so if the devs were to do something substantial here they might have to code the whole mp3 export process.

Anyway, I wonder if they could just change the Genre field to a plain text field that we could use or leave blank at will.

So +1(?)
Yes. That all sounds completely plausible Steve; not (as I naively thought) any quick 'one hour' of dev time to fix... Though, I think the same might go for your suggestion of 'just' trying to change the Genre field to a plain text field. A good idea none the less...

But of course, why not put a bit of effort in and extend its functions, like the ability to add album art (as someone else suggested) - would be great to just do this right there while you're on it, as part of the export...

I dream on...

Oh, and a +1
System 1:- Win10 64bit, Gigabyte H81M m/board, Intel i7 4790 3.6Ghz, 16Gb RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti, 2 x 22" HD monitors; Steinberg UR44; Cubase Pro v10.5.20 (and C11 testing), WaveLab Pro v10.0.40, Studio One v4.6.1, Dorico Elements v3.5.10, Addictive Drums 2, Komplete 12, StylusRMX

System 2:- Win10 32bit, Q6600 2.4 Ghz, 4Gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS, Delta 1010LT; Cubase Pro v8.0.40, WaveLab Pro v9.1.0, Komplete10, StylusRMX

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- »

You might be right about the possibility of it being just as much trouble to change the text field property...

In fact, I don't think a change can be done in one hour in software like Cubase- there is a whole team involved, and every change has to go through a process- even if the change itself takes just a few minutes, there are other steps that have to happen before it gets released into the actual code that's included in an update.

Luis Dongo

Post by Luis Dongo »

Hi guys,

just to chime in. That list doesn't come from us, but it is a standard list shared by almost evey music program. Each genre occupies 1 byte (out of the 128 bytes from the ID3-Tag) which corresponds to an "ID-number" that defines in which order those genres are shown, i.e. in Cubase.

This also facilitates the compatibility with different programs, i.e. you want the same genre being shown in iTunes and in Winamp.

You can check that list here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ID3#List_of_genres

Hope this helps!
Luis Dongo
Marketing Manager - Pro Audio

Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany
Connect with Steinberg on Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram and SoundCloud.

GargoyleStudio

Post by GargoyleStudio »

+1 It'd be nice to have it sorted alphabetically though, after all we're humans we don't really care about the ID number or it's order. And also the Winamp extensions included perhaps?

Mike.
[Win10x64 latest, Cb10.5 latest, MOTU PCIe, UAD2, Waves, Soundtoys, O9N, Arturia, Omnisphere]

enjneer

Post by enjneer »

Luis Dongo wrote:Hi guys,

just to chime in. That list doesn't come from us, but it is a standard list shared by almost evey music program. Each genre occupies 1 byte (out of the 128 bytes from the ID3-Tag) which corresponds to an "ID-number" that defines in which order those genres are shown, i.e. in Cubase.

This also facilitates the compatibility with different programs, i.e. you want the same genre being shown in iTunes and in Winamp.

Hope this helps!
Well, that kind of settles that! Genres don't show up alphabetically for me in other apps either. Now I know why.

Thanks Louis.
http://dahlhousestudios.com
Mac Pro 2008 (3.1); 14G RAM; GeForce GT 120 512M
OSX 10.9
FireFace 800
UAD 2 Duo
Bryston 4B
Yamaha NS-10Ms
Presonus Central Station
Cubase 7; 7.5; 8 64-bit
Wavelab 7

freejay

Post by freejay »

Hope this helps!
Sorry, but there is still NO reason to display the genres not alphabetically! You only have to store the name-id relationship somewhere else but not use the ID of the list-box. This could be programmed in 5 minutes. Please do it! It is extremely annoying unsorted...

PS: I'm a software developer, I don't speculate here... ;-)
Cubase 9.0.10, UR22mkII, Windows 10, Online, Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, Intel i7-6700K, 16 GB Kingston, (currently) onboard graphics, ehm - anything else anyone would like to know?... ;-)

Puma0382

Post by Puma0382 »

Thank you for chiming in... ;-)

Just to clarify - no one is somehow asking Steinberg to rail against 'Standards', or that the numerical ID tied to a specific genre name field be disrupted/destroyed. SB aren't being asked to break cross-application compatibility. The ID-number will always remain tied to its proper/corresponding genre name, as per the Wiki article.

What is being asked, is for people at Steinberg with courage and strong backs, to toil on behalf of us musicians and devise a scheme that sets out to present this list to the user, in alphabetical order according to the genre name field. To make it useable. That's all.

(or a method/way/mechanism for the user to sort the list themselves - oh dear, all of a sudden that's now sounding like so much more work...)

As someone else pointed out, this should be for the humans..!!
System 1:- Win10 64bit, Gigabyte H81M m/board, Intel i7 4790 3.6Ghz, 16Gb RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti, 2 x 22" HD monitors; Steinberg UR44; Cubase Pro v10.5.20 (and C11 testing), WaveLab Pro v10.0.40, Studio One v4.6.1, Dorico Elements v3.5.10, Addictive Drums 2, Komplete 12, StylusRMX

System 2:- Win10 32bit, Q6600 2.4 Ghz, 4Gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS, Delta 1010LT; Cubase Pro v8.0.40, WaveLab Pro v9.1.0, Komplete10, StylusRMX

Rotund

Post by Rotund »

Maybe a simple text search function could be added to the genre field?
Inboard:
Win7Pro 64Bit, i7 3770k, Gigabyte Z77-UHD5, 12gb Corsair (1600Mhz), Nuendo+Nek 6.5, Reaper 4.591, Samplitude Pro X2, Studio One 3.5, CD Architect 5.2, RME Raydat, UAD PCIe Quad+Duo.

Outboard:
Moog Model D (Vintage), Sub 37, Minitaur, Slim Phatty, DSI OB-6 Desktop, Prophet Rev2 8 Voice, Roland Integra 7, SE-02, Korg Prologue 16, Triton Le, Boss Dr. Rhythm DR-55, Sound Gizmo.

curteye
External Moderator

Post by curteye »

Hope this helps!

Thank you thank you thank you Luis; for the 'official' answer;
and it only took 2 and a half years. :) :) :)

Better late than never tho'.

Next question:

As a solution to this somewhat 'vexing' prob,
is there anything Steiny can/will do to help us/its users;
or
is this 'standard' of which you speak now somehow 'set in stone'?

as Puma0382 posted:
What is being asked, is for people at Steinberg with courage and strong backs, to toil on behalf of us musicians and devise a scheme that sets out to present this list to the user, in alphabetical order according to the genre name field. To make it useable. That's all.
(or a method/way/mechanism for the user to sort the list themselves
Personally I would settle for the generic answer: 'we are woikin' on it'.

Mahalo again to you.
{'-'}
Last edited by curteye on Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.
If yer gear ain't breakin down, you aint workin' much.

iMac 5K 4.2Gz 16GB
MBP 3.0Gz......16GB

On the side of a volcano in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

Prock
Grand Senior Member

Post by Prock »

Hope this helps!
Interesting... Thanks!

Regards. 8-)
PRock Studio

DAW: Cubase Pro 11, OS: Win 10 Pro x64, CPU: Intel Core i7 4700K @ 4.0GHz, RAM: 32GB/DDR4/2800MHz, Graphics: 4GB GeForce GTX 960, Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon, AI: PreSonus Studio 192 Mobile, Mic Preamp: PreSonus TubePre, Headphone Amp: PreSonus HP4, Studio Monitors: Mackie MR5, 3rd Party VSTs: GSi VB3-II, SampleTank 3, Amplitube 4, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, EZDrummer 2

https://soundcloud.com/prockstudio

Luis Dongo

Post by Luis Dongo »

Hi there,

I'm sorry if my last post wasn't clear enough. What I meant by "that list doesn't come from us" is that the mp3 encoder in Cubase (including the ID3-Tag availability) wasn't developed by us, but it is a 3rd party component (which is the main reason why Artist and Elements customers have to buy the licese separately) that we have integrated in Cubase as it is. So re-writing it just to change the order in which the genres are shown would be much more complicated and complex than one might think.

And I'm sorry Curteye, but I can't even say "we are working on it", because I don't think we can actually do anything about it for now.

All the best
Luis Dongo
Marketing Manager - Pro Audio

Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany
Connect with Steinberg on Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram and SoundCloud.

curteye
External Moderator

Post by curteye »

Got it!

As always, thanks for the info.
{'-'}
If yer gear ain't breakin down, you aint workin' much.

iMac 5K 4.2Gz 16GB
MBP 3.0Gz......16GB

On the side of a volcano in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

skillet

Post by skillet »

Luis Dongo wrote:Hi there,

I'm sorry if my last post wasn't clear enough. What I meant by "that list doesn't come from us" is that the mp3 encoder in Cubase (including the ID3-Tag availability) wasn't developed by us, but it is a 3rd party component (which is the main reason why Artist and Elements customers have to buy the licese separately) that we have integrated in Cubase as it is. So re-writing it just to change the order in which the genres are shown would be much more complicated and complex than one might think.

And I'm sorry Curteye, but I can't even say "we are working on it", because I don't think we can actually do anything about it for now.

All the best
Thanks for the info, that is too bad the list is so crazy to find anything, at least you can double press the start letter to jump to the next genre that starts with that letter. It doesn't seem to have multiple generes that iTunes has for some reason.
macOS 10.14.6 | Mac Pro (Late 2013) | Processor: 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 | Memory: 32 GB 1866 Mhz DDR3 ECC

Cubase 10.5.20 | Nuendo 10.2 | WaveLab Pro 10 | Pro Tools 20.3 | Logic 10.4.8

Audio Interface: Steinberg UR44 | MIDI Interface:MOTU MIDI Timepiece AV; MIDIMan 1x1 | MIDI Keyboard: Alesis QS8.2; Kork Nano Key | Control Surface: MCU (Mackie Control Universal); Korg Nano Kontrol; PreSonus FaderPort; Shuttle Pro 2; CC 121; FD Fader Controller; Softube Console 1

Return to “Older Cubase versions”