Cubasis shifting all imported MIDI down 2 octaves and all MIDI out up 2 octaves

I’m importing midi files into Cubasis and all of the note data is shifted down by two octaves. When I connect Cubasis to another app or external hardware all note data is shifted up by two octaves.

Can anyone confirm this? Am I crazy?

Hi AB2010,

Thanks for your message.

So far we have not seen this problem.
Please check to import various MIDI files, to find out if the problem is related to the file.

Thanks,
Lars

Hi Lars,

I can sort of understand how different apps import midi differently. I’ve seen that before. It would be helpful if Cubasis could handle all midi notes from 0 to 127. I’m importing midi files with notes between zero and 24 and those are being shifted below the bottom of the timeline. I can’t even edit those.

As far as midi output from Cubasis, if I configur any other app to receive midi from Cubasis or send midi out to external gear the note data comes out shifted one octave up. Try it yourself. Create a simple project that sends a C4 (midi note at 60) to another app it will receive it as C5 (midi note 72).

Can you test this out with some external hardware?

Hi AB2010,

Please provide a MIDI file that shows the issue (please upload via DropBox or similar and share the link via PM).
Regarding MIDI output different apps use different key labelling schemes.

Best,
Lars

PM sent.

Thanks AB2010, received and shared it with the team.

Best,
Lars

Thanks for looking into it. There is a free MIDI tool for iOS called MIDI Wrench that allows you to look at the ACTUAL MIDI data being sent out from an app.

Configuring a MIDI track in Cubasis to send MIDI out to MIDI Wrench and then monitoring that data from MIDI Wrench confirms that all note data is shifted up by 2 octaves.

You can re-create this quite easily by creating a new Cubasis project, creating a MIDI track and placing a note on C4. Have Cubasis loop continuously over that note. Make sure Cubasis is set to have background audio set to on. Set the MIDI output to MIDI Wrench. Switch over to MIDI Wrench as Cubasis loops over the C4 and you will see Cubasis sending that note out as a C6.

Hi AB2010,

Please give the following steps a try:

• Close the MIDI editor
  • Make sure the MIDI event in the arrange window is selected
  • Tap “Transpose” in sub menu bar, choose two octaves and confirm the change

Thanks,
Lars

Thanks Lars,

This does move the MIDI note data up into a usable area of the editor BUT … it does not address the issue of all note data leaving Cubasis being shifted by 2 octaves. So by transposing the info back up I can edit it, but I still can’t use it because it is being transmitted two octaves up.

Hi AB2010,

Thanks for your message.

The topic has been added to the list.
We might consider to change the behaviour in the future.

Best,
Lars

“We might consider” changing a complete nonsense behavior?
Or does the present status make ANY sense whatsoever? :wink: