Post by PG » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:39 am

Dear WaveLab users,

please find the WaveLab 8.5 tutorials here: WaveLab tutorials videos

Thanks!
Philippe

Justin P

Re: WaveLab 8.5 videos

Post by Justin P » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:32 pm

These videos are great, thanks for sharing.

Regarding the AAC support:

Are there any iTunes aggregators that are accepting AAC files directly though? It seems that in the US, you still need to submit 16-bit/44.1k and the aggregators handle the conversion to AAC and apply the metadata.

Not that the only use for AAC would be for iTunes sales but it's implied in the video that you can send AAC files directly to iTunes distribution which is something I haven't heard of so far, at least in the US.
http://www.mysteryroommastering.com/http://www.justincarlperkins.com/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/WaveLab/

iMac Pro 3.0GHz 10-Core • 64GB RAM • SSD for OS and audio • MacOS 10.13.4

Daved

Post by Daved » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:21 pm

I don't think aggregators are even ALLOWED to accept AAC's. Apple ingests WAVs for a reason: future-proof delivery. They've upgraded sound quality by doubling sample rate with Plus without needing re-ingests of millions of tracks because of this policy. MfiT does require new masters, but those releases are typically separate titles esp when reissued. So you're right, that's not exactly the benefit or value of AAC export in a DAW like WL8.

AAC delivery allows your clients to approve the sonics of your master for iTunes, albeit not determinative or absolute. If you want an absolute reference, you use the MfiT suite to transcode files, which result in exactly what Apple's batch tools deliver. The problem with that is such tools are mac-only, and AU only. At best a windows user can transcode in iTunes, which is an additional step and kind of a hassle (if you use iTunes for other things you need to reset). So the benefit of AAC export in WL8.5 is that it provides a means of bouncing those ref's that are more than "close enough" without resorting to iTunes or a separate Mac.

The Encoder Checker, otoh, is worth the price of the upgrade by itself. Again it may not be as determinative as the Apple MfiT tool, but I've found that I can deliver in-spec MfiT masters by using WL8's True Peak meter during mastering, so I have no reason to believe it's inferior in use in place of the MfiT AU's. As things stand I can already make acceptable in-spec masters, but with Encoder Checker, I should be able to make better qualitative judgments and trade-offs by ear. This feature provides the functionality of something like Sonnox' Codex Toolbox; I think this is something that any modern mastering DAW should do out of the box. For Mac-based DAWs this is already the case via the (free) MfiT AUs, so there's no need to build. But for everyone else this fills a real need, and is bottom line stuff in modern mastering.
bands.theallnightparty.com

MarcusStaffel

Post by MarcusStaffel » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:11 pm

As you already have some Sonnox plugins integrated in Wavelab. It would be nice if you could integrate the Fraunhofer Pro-Codec from Sonnox into Wavelab too.

That would be a good base for deciding for the best codec and state of the art. And it's comparison mode A/B and random is a good featureset. Why invent the tire a second time?
Nuendo8, Cubase9, Dorico1.0.30, WaveLab9

Return to “WaveLab 8 | WaveLab Elements 8”