I am starting to get upset with WL 8.5.3

All topics on WaveLab 8 and WaveLab Elements 8
Steven

Re: I am starting to get upset with WL 8.5.3

Post by Steven »

I use here the same soundcard with the latest drivers and it works perfect with Wavelab 8.5.3.
What settings do you use ? (SR, clocksource )

Steven
Steven Wielink
Excellent Recordings
Holland

Thomas W. Bethel

Post by Thomas W. Bethel »

Vocalpoint wrote:
Thomas W. Bethel wrote:Yes it is an RME HDSP 9632 bought from these people http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ ... dJrMBEg..I moved it over from the other computer.
What RME driver are you using with the new box?

VP
This one http://www.rme-audio.de/download/driver ... in_410.zip it is the most current one I know of. Is there a better one?
Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.
Room With a View Productions
http://www.acoustikmusik.com/

Doing what you love is freedom.
Loving what you do is happiness.

Celebrating 25 years in business in 2020

Vocalpoint

Post by Vocalpoint »

Thomas W. Bethel wrote:This one http://www.rme-audio.de/download/driver ... in_410.zip it is the most current one I know of. Is there a better one?
That's the one I am running. And I still get crashes, freezes etc. If you are hoping to "fix" this yourself - I would not invest too much time in it.

This is a discussion for PG to have with folks at RME - because as I have stated in many a thread response already - WL is not or cannot communicate sample rate changes correctly with the latest RME drivers. I have been fighting the same for several years now.

I notice that you are 44.1/24bit. If you want to get work done - suggest a standard of 44.1/16bit and you will probably be fine.

Until PG and RME get their heads together on this - nothing will change. Unfortunately.

Sadly - I can have files of all kinds of sample rates and bit depths open in Studio One Or IzoTope RX Advanced and never see any issues. The rates/depth switches perfectly every time. Only in WL does everything freeze hard.

VP
Bruce McDonald
Vocalpoint Studios
Calgary, AB Canada

Thomas W. Bethel

Today

1. Wavelab cannot support the plugin INSIGHT and will close. Only the edit window open

2. Wavelab cannot continue due to a problem with the plugin FAB Pro L. Only the edit window open

3. Wavelab crashed today playing a file with no plugins and no warning. 44.1 16 bit Wav file

These problems are all on a clean machine with nothing extra running on it. There has to be a MAJOR fix and soon.

It is beginning to look like WL does not play well with other developer's plugins and that is not acceptable in today's world.

I am running Sound Forge on the same machine as well as Samplitude and Audition with none of these problems.

How can I go back to 8.5.2 and make sure I have all the "junque" off my machine left over from 8.5.3 with out doing a fresh install of Windows 7.

Personal Note: PG can you please get this fixed before spending a lot of time on 9.0?? - Thanks in advance!!!

What a royal mess.
Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.

PG

Post by PG »

I have no clue what this happens to you. This is not a general problem.
If you run in 32 bit, can you try in 64 bit, or reciprocally?
And what about a crash log?
Philippe

Thomas W. Bethel

PG wrote:I have no clue what this happens to you. This is not a general problem.
If you run in 32 bit, can you try in 64 bit, or reciprocally?
And what about a crash log?
I have the crash log and can post it. it is like WL is possessed. I have been with WL since version 1.6 and never had all the problems I am having now. The last stable version for me was Version 6. Thanks for your concern.
Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.

Justin P

Post by Justin P »

Are you able to at least temporarily try another sound card or interface to rule out the RME?

It seems like that could be a factor at this point.
https://www.mysteryroommastering.com/https://www.justincarlperkins.com/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/WaveLab/

iMac Pro 3.0GHz 10-Core • 64GB RAM • SSD for OS and audio • MacOS 10.14.6
Mac Mini 3.2 GHz Intel Core i7 (6-Core) • 32GB RAM • SSD for OS and audio • MacOS 10.14.6

RME AES HDSPe, MUTEC MC-3+ Smart Clock USB, Grace m905, Grace m900

PG

Post by PG »

I have the crash log and can post it.
Try adding it in a PM.
Philippe

Thomas W. Bethel

Jperkinski wrote:Are you able to at least temporarily try another sound card or interface to rule out the RME?

It seems like that could be a factor at this point.
Well here is the problem. My sound card works well with Audition, Sound Forge, Samplitude and even Adobe Premier. If it is the card I would think I would have problems with other programs as well. Everything is "rock steady" in those other programs. I do have some other interfaces I can try but....there is just something that is not quite right with WL at the present time. Thanks for the insight.
Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.

Thomas W. Bethel

PG wrote:
I have the crash log and can post it.
Try adding it in a PM.
PM Sent. Thanks!
Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.

Raphie

Post by Raphie »

It seems, though this might not be what you want to hear, there IS actually something wrong with your system
Being on 8.5.3 I don't recognize ANY of these issues. Maybe your memory is bad, system bios too tightly timed, videocard issues, interupt sharing problems. I don't know it can be many things.
Are u using RME ASIO or directX / MME ?

Things to check:
Have you got all latest windows updates?
Have you got all drivers covered with Windows WHQL drivers?
Is you BIOS configured to BIOS DEFAULTS?
Did u already uninstall WL and removed all prefences folders manually?
Did you run ccleaner?

The answer is in your system (or it's configuration) what you describe is NOT Wavelab.
Analogue Mastering
MSI raider X299 - Intel i9 7940 - MSI Gaming X 1070GTX 8GB - SAMSUNG 970 PRO 1TB - OCZ RD400 nvme SSD - 32gB DDR4-4400
Windows 10 x64 1909 - Cubase Pro 10.5x - Wavelab Pro 10.x
RME MadiFX and racks full of outboard

Everything you need to know about remote control editors

Thomas W. Bethel

Thanks for your reply.

If you read my posts this is on a brand new computer with all the updates done. The memory is brand new and after running the memory check program for 24 hours it could find no problems. The video card is brand new and is a NVIDIA 840 with all the latest updates.

I am not having any problems with audio on any other DAW on this computer just WL.

The BIOS is set for "normal" "safe" operation.

This was a clean install of WL strait off the net.

I am not the only one who is having problems with WL at the present time.

Thanks for all the insights. I have been a loyal WL user since version 1.6 and have been building computers for over 20 years and using them for 30.

Thanks again!
Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.

Raphie

Re: I am starting to get upset with WL 8.5.

Post by Raphie »

Reading your first post again, it seems to be your Geforce.
Can you uninstall the Geforce driver (and also remove it) forcing windows to use the "standard vga" and see if that solved the problem?
Analogue Mastering
MSI raider X299 - Intel i9 7940 - MSI Gaming X 1070GTX 8GB - SAMSUNG 970 PRO 1TB - OCZ RD400 nvme SSD - 32gB DDR4-4400
Windows 10 x64 1909 - Cubase Pro 10.5x - Wavelab Pro 10.x
RME MadiFX and racks full of outboard

Everything you need to know about remote control editors

Justin P

Post by Justin P »

Thomas W. Bethel wrote:Thanks for your reply.

I am not having any problems with audio on any other DAW on this computer just WL.

Thanks again!
I'm not suggesting that the sound card is defective, but maybe the RME and/or it's drivers are not playing nice with WL 8.5 just as there are some known 3rd part plugins that do not play nice with WL.

Considering all the time you have put into resolving this, I think it would be worth trying another interface (even the built-in computer output) to see if the crashes and issues still happen.
https://www.mysteryroommastering.com/https://www.justincarlperkins.com/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/WaveLab/

iMac Pro 3.0GHz 10-Core • 64GB RAM • SSD for OS and audio • MacOS 10.14.6
Mac Mini 3.2 GHz Intel Core i7 (6-Core) • 32GB RAM • SSD for OS and audio • MacOS 10.14.6

RME AES HDSPe, MUTEC MC-3+ Smart Clock USB, Grace m905, Grace m900

Rat

Post by Rat »

Tom ... Could I suggest rolling back your RME driver to the last version that produced a stable system for you?

Also, having previously reported that I could force a repeatable white screen/crash I must now report that this is not the case.

Try as I have ... I am simply unable to get WL to be anything other than rock solid.

So, no crash dumps from me.
Regards

Paul

Paul Rat Blakey
12th & Vine Post

Studio: Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 7700 Quad Core LGA 1151 3.6 GHz CPU, 32 GB RAM, Gigabyte Z270M-D3H LGA 1151 mATX Motherboard, 2 x SSD (system and session drives), RME HDSPe AIO, Mytek converters

Laptop: Windows 10 Pro, Razer Blade Gaming Intel Core i7 8750H 6 cores/12 threads 4.1GHz CPU, 16 GB RAM SSD & HHD Denon DA10

WaveLab 9.5 and 10 Pro current release, iLok, Weiss

LutzR

Post by LutzR »

I am also using the HDSP9632, though not with the latest driver: I am having no problems with version 3.32 - WL works very stable. So, maybe it would be worth to try an older RME driver version.
Lutz
Wavelab 8.5.2 / Windows 7 / Intel Core i7 / 3,5 GHz / 16 GB RAM / Algorithmix / Waves / PSP / Voxengo...

Thomas W. Bethel

Today I was working with a restoration client. I did the recording off the record onto WL using my RME card and my Benchmark ADC!. Everything was OK with the intake. I started to use Izotope RX4 Advanced. I processed the file and it worked perfectly. Then I tried to save the file, I had checked the option of processing in place, but instead of WL saving the file when I said to "save as" it hung up and then crashed. I had to turn the computer off and then restart it. My restoration client was looking at me with the "what the heck are you doing" look on her face. NOT GOOD! From there it was all downhill. Lock up after lock up when using Fab Filter or Izotope plugins. I finally got the work done and I was glad it was done.

We have been using WL a lot over the past two weeks and no problems. Why it decided to go berserk today is anyone' guess.

I was going to switch over to Audition today to get through the sessiion but I don't like that is is constantly "buffering" on playback when un the "preview mode.

I need to find a working DAW. Suggestions??? Thanks!
Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.

Arjan P

Post by Arjan P »

It's probably not what you want to hear, and it must be awful experiencing crashes with clients present, but the suggestions in the previous posts about your audio interface could have some value.
--- "If anyone owes it all to Bach, it's God" - Emil Cioran ---
SOFT: (All 64 bit) | WaveLab 10.0.30 | Cubase 10.0.60 | HALion 6.0 | Win10 Pro - SoundCloud
HARD: i7-950 | Asus P6TD | 30GB | Tascam DM-3200 | DigiMax48 | Midisport 8x8 - SoundByte Studio

Rat

Post by Rat »

Thomas W. Bethel wrote:I need to find a working DAW. Suggestions??? Thanks!
Try ProTo*ls First. It is free although you will need an iLok. At least this will let you see if it is in fact something in your system.

I can tell you from direct experience that an recent version of PT does not always play well with RME either.
Regards

Paul

Paul Rat Blakey
12th & Vine Post

Studio: Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 7700 Quad Core LGA 1151 3.6 GHz CPU, 32 GB RAM, Gigabyte Z270M-D3H LGA 1151 mATX Motherboard, 2 x SSD (system and session drives), RME HDSPe AIO, Mytek converters

Laptop: Windows 10 Pro, Razer Blade Gaming Intel Core i7 8750H 6 cores/12 threads 4.1GHz CPU, 16 GB RAM SSD & HHD Denon DA10

Thomas W. Bethel

Rat wrote:
Thomas W. Bethel wrote:I need to find a working DAW. Suggestions??? Thanks!
Try ProTo*ls First. It is free although you will need an iLok. At least this will let you see if it is in fact something in your system.

I can tell you from direct experience that an recent version of PT does not always play well with RME either.
All my other DAW programs work with my RME sound card with out any problems. I have Audition, Sound Forge, Samplitude, Audacity and even the stand alone version of Ozone 6 works. None of them lock up.

The other problem that I experienced yesterday was that when I would process a small part of a file using RX-4 then I could not work on another part of the same file. I use to do this with no problems in WL 6. There is something that has changed recently in the 8.5.3 build that is causing problems. Maybe NOW would be a good time for someone to look into what has changed that is causing all these problems...

I did find out one interesting bit of information over the past couple of weeks. When I originally started up my computer after the build with my RME card installed Windows 7 went out and found a driver and put it in but it was NOT the current driver on the RME site so I "upgraded" my card to the current version. It seemed, until yesterday, more stable.

Thanks again for all the commiserations and help.
Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.

Thomas W. Bethel

Arjan P wrote:It's probably not what you want to hear, and it must be awful experiencing crashes with clients present, but the suggestions in the previous posts about your audio interface could have some value.
Thanks as always for your sage advice.

I will try WL with another device but a DAW should not be sound card unfriendly IMHO.

Is it so hard for someone with PGs rep to contact RME and get this figured out. Since all my other DAWs work will with my RME card it must be something in the way that WL interacts with the sound card that makes it unstable. I am NOT the only one who is having problems with their RME and WL.
Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.

Rat

Post by Rat »

You asked for a 'working DAW' ... and you mentioned Audition is not behaving for you.

Whilst it is not my fav DAW by a long stretch, PT has a very large user base. You would expect it to 'work' and if it doesn't then that might suggest something about your hardware build/component choice.
Regards

Paul

Paul Rat Blakey
12th & Vine Post

Steven

Post by Steven »

I have two DAW's with the same RME cards wich worked with WL 8.5.3.

Never had any problemsit works flawlessly here witth older drivers and the latest. It seems that the problems are not on the side of WL.

Isn't it a setting in the BIOS or something?

Steven
Steven Wielink
Excellent Recordings
Holland

Vocalpoint

Post by Vocalpoint »

Thomas W. Bethel wrote:When I originally started up my computer after the build with my RME card installed Windows 7 went out and found a driver and put it in but it was NOT the current driver on the RME site so I "upgraded" my card to the current version.
This is not possible as Windows Update will not (and does not) contain any RME drivers. Whatever Windows "got" was most likely some bone simply Directsound driver or something to allow Windows to make some noise. But even that seems far fetched.

If Windows DID find something out there - then maybe you did not disable your onboard audio interface (on the motherboard) prior to installing Windows 7 and then Windows Update "found" something for this "other" interface. Leading me to believe you may possibly have two audio interfaces active now.

I just built my new DAW (Windows 10) in August and Windows found nothing for my RME card. But I ensured ALL onboard devices - except my network interface were disable in the BIOS. Same deal when I ran Windows 7.

The RME card must be handled manually by installing it's unique drivers direct from RME - using their installer.

But if you also have the motherboard audio active - that can (and did) cause issues for me. You may want to carefully check this out...

VP
Bruce McDonald
Vocalpoint Studios
Calgary, AB Canada

Transistor

Post by Transistor »

Tom, I see that your RME card is PCI (not PCIe). Do note that even though you MB has a (three in your case) PCI slots, they are _emulated_ (or bridged). I have no idea if this is the cause of your troubles, but would it be possible to borrow the PCIe version of your card to see if it works better?

FWIW: I chucked out my PCI RME HDSP three years ago and replaced it with its PCIe counterpart. It runs flawlessly with my now 12? years old Multiface1, used as an ADAT bridge to my Mytek.

r,
j,
i7-5820K/16384/Win10
CPro 10.5.12 / WLPro 10.0.20 / SpectralayersPro 6.0.2
Studio: RME HDSPe AES / Mytek 8x192 / Midex8 / (+ Aurora 8)
Mobile: CAI & WLElements [latest versions] / RME Babyface
Plugins. Hardware.

Return to “WaveLab 8 | WaveLab Elements 8”