Page 1 of 2

Search specific words in Mediabay?

Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:02 pm
by Phobic78
apologies if there is an obvious solution to this, but I can't seem to find it in the manual.

Is there any way to search for a specific word in the mediabay? for example, if i want to search for 'ice' in my sound effects, but don't want to have to wade through a thousand sound effects that contain words like 'office', 'police', 'slice' etc. so i guess i need some modifier that searches for 'ice' as a separate word.

any ideas?

thanks,

phobic.

Re: Search specific words in Mediabay?

Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:58 pm
by Phobic78
well, i guess it doesn't do it then. seems like a no brainer feature request for any sound designer with 100k+ sound effects in their library.

any chance of getting this in v6.5?

Re: Search specific words in Mediabay?

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:12 am
by -steve-
Type into the text field - labeled "Search Results"

Or hit the tab key a couple times.

Re: Search specific words in Mediabay?

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:11 am
by Dog and Pony
This has always bugged me.
Type into the text field - labeled "Search Results"
Sorry if I'm being dense but that doesn't seem to make any difference, "ice" still brings up "office" and "wind" still returns "window". John.

Re: Search specific words in Mediabay?

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:19 am
by -steve-
Sorry, I misunderstood.

Use the Logical (not Attribute) search and set the filter to 'equal', and not 'matches' or 'contains'.

It's in the "The Filters section" of the Mediabay chapter in the manual.

Re: Search specific words in Mediabay?

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:29 am
by Elektrobolt
Or perhaps padding with a space before or after would work? This way you don't have to operate elsewhere, but you would need to do the search twice to see all matches (in two batches).

I'd love for MediaBay to have an option to search by regular expressions! That would make your search very easy indeed.

Re: Search specific words in Mediabay?

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:40 am
by -steve-
Interesting idea... but spaces are ignored.

Have you checked out the Logical search in mediabay?

Re: Search specific words in Mediabay?

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:38 am
by Fredo
Mediabay.jpg
(64.39 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Fredo

Re: Search specific words in Mediabay?

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:21 pm
by MattiasNYC
Fredo wrote:
Mediabay.jpg
Fredo
Did you try it?

Re: Search specific words in Mediabay?

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:54 pm
by Fredo
Yes I did.
Did you try it?
And what's your point?

Fredo

Re: Search specific words in Mediabay?

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:18 pm
by MattiasNYC
Fredo wrote:Yes I did.
Did you try it?
And what's your point?

Fredo
Yes I did.

If I type in "wind" after "matches" is selected, I get "window" as well.

Re: Search specific words in Mediabay?

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:50 pm
by Fredo
Try the same with "equals".
Also make sure that you are not searching within attributes that can provide matching results.


Fredo

Re: Search specific words in Mediabay?

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:59 pm
by Phobic78
SteveInChicago wrote:Sorry, I misunderstood.

Use the Logical (not Attribute) search and set the filter to 'equal', and not 'matches' or 'contains'.

It's in the "The Filters section" of the Mediabay chapter in the manual.
thanks for the suggestion, but this seems to only return results that are an exact match, so searching for 'ice' will not identify a sound effect called 'crushing ice' or 'ice pick'.

i'm sure that previous versions of media bay were able to do this, or am i just thinking of pro tools?

also, fredo, thanks for your suggestion but, as lydiot says, i don't think this actually filters out the unwanted words.

Re: Search specific words in Mediabay?

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:19 pm
by -steve-
I was writing this post while Phobic78 was posting his... I'll post anyway.

Indeed, The answer to the OP's question is no, "Equals" (my suggestion, sorry) only matches an entire field, not a single word in a field.

As far as filtering out, you can use booleans, so you can filter out strings thus: -words

Re: Search specific words in Mediabay?

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:14 pm
by MattiasNYC
Fredo wrote:Try the same with "equals".
Also make sure that you are not searching within attributes that can provide matching results.


Fredo
We did. Same results.

If you tried this, did your version of Nuendo omit whatever result was 'longer' (meaning if you type "wind" you do not get "window") ?

Re: Search specific words in Mediabay?

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:16 pm
by MattiasNYC
SteveInChicago wrote:As far as filtering out, you can use booleans, so you can filter out strings thus: -words
This however requires that one knows all of the hits one does not want in advance and type them in, right?

Re: Search specific words in Mediabay?

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:21 pm
by -steve-
Lydiot wrote:This however requires that one knows all of the hits one does not want in advance and type them in, right?
Yep. It's of limited use. There's no filter for Whole Words Only.

Re: Search specific words in Mediabay?

Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:45 am
by Fredo
Hmmm ... I see. Got a point.
I however do not agree that the function should be changed.
What if we could add a space before or after the word?
"Wind "
That would give us the best of both worlds ...

Fredo

Re: Search specific words in Mediabay?

Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:03 pm
by MattiasNYC
Fredo wrote:Hmmm ... I see. Got a point.
I however do not agree that the function should be changed.
What if we could add a space before or after the word?
"Wind "
That would give us the best of both worlds ...

Fredo
Whatever is "standard" in search engines. I seem to recall Google previously allowing "" to ensure you only got what was in quotes, and nothing outside, and I think some search engines default to [space] meaning either [and] or [or] rather than only a word.

In short, intuitively speaking I think space to many would mean "or" or "and" because that's how we type text generally. So I would prefer "". It would also allow us to write things like;

"wind" forest

and get any hit on "wind" and "forest" but no "window" etc. We'd use both "" for making the word exclusively short and [space] to add a second search term.

But whatever is most prevalent is fine by me, or what most users prefer. The function is more important than which character to use in my opinion.

EDIT: I just checked and in MediaBay [space] seems to equal a boolean [+].

Re: Search specific words in Mediabay?

Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:32 pm
by Elektrobolt
Fredo wrote:Hmmm ... I see. Got a point.
I however do not agree that the function should be changed.
What if we could add a space before or after the word?
"Wind "
That would give us the best of both worlds ...

Fredo
I definitely think space should be a factor, so yes. +1

Re: Search specific words in Mediabay?

Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:00 pm
by MattiasNYC
Elektrobolt wrote:
Fredo wrote:Hmmm ... I see. Got a point.
I however do not agree that the function should be changed.
What if we could add a space before or after the word?
"Wind "
That would give us the best of both worlds ...

Fredo
I definitely think space should be a factor, so yes. +1
It already is.

Re: Search specific words in Mediabay?

Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:15 pm
by -steve-
@Lydiot, what does space do?

Re: Search specific words in Mediabay?

Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:15 pm
by MattiasNYC
SteveInChicago wrote:@Lydiot, what does space do?
It appears to function as [and]. So typing "key" in my currently selected database gives me four results, one of which has the word "clock" in it. So then typing "key clock" yields only that result.

Have you tried it?

Re: Search specific words in Mediabay?

Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:32 pm
by -steve-
Yes, I see. I was actually using it for that - without explicitly realizing it's function. Thanks.

Hope to see a Whole Word filter in the future.

Re: Search specific words in Mediabay?

Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:23 pm
by Elektrobolt
Lydiot wrote:
Elektrobolt wrote:
Fredo wrote:Hmmm ... I see. Got a point.
I however do not agree that the function should be changed.
What if we could add a space before or after the word?
"Wind "
That would give us the best of both worlds ...

Fredo
I definitely think space should be a factor, so yes. +1
It already is.
Well, I meant of course in respect to what Fredo suggested, but yes, I see my fault in expressing that. Thank you.