How do I get the cursor to stay where I stop it?

Post general topics related to Nuendo 6 here.
Keyplayer

How do I get the cursor to stay where I stop it?

Post by Keyplayer » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:19 pm

I can't remember which preference will make the cursor STAY wherever I stop it. It keeps going back to wherever I started playing. I checked prefs and the transport menus. So far, no luck.

Can you tell me what to select/de-select?

Thanks!
Nuendo 1.0 - 8.2 |VST Studio Connect Pro | Windows 10 Pro | Intel i7 - 5820K CPU @ 3.30 | 64-bit OS | 32GB of RAM |RME HDSPe RayDAT | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti Video Card | Euphonix MC Control, 2 Mix & Transport | Xkeys | iConnectivity mi10 MIDI Interface | UAD-2 Octo Core with UAD-1 Legacy Ultra Pak | Isotope RX4 | Melodyne 3.2 | Voxengo Plugins | Real Guitar | B4 II | EZ Drummer | Drumagog 4 | Virtual Guitarist 2 | Korg, Roland, Kurzweil Synths | Apogee Big Ben | 32 Channel Panasonic DA-7 desk | Equator D5 (5.1) & Mackie 824 (St.) monitors | VS-1680 & 880 HDR's |

fenderchris

Re: How do I get the cursor to stay where I stop it?

Post by fenderchris » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:47 pm

Keyplayer wrote:I can't remember which preference will make the cursor STAY wherever I stop it. It keeps going back to wherever I started playing. I checked prefs and the transport menus. So far, no luck.

Thanks!
Try unchecking 'Return to start position on stop' on Preferences/Transport
Chris

The Archers - give it a rest already!
I
Windows-7 Pro 64-bit, i7 Quad core 2.66 15GB ram, Nuendo-8.2.0 64-bit, Wavelab-6, 2x MR816CSX, RME FireFace UFX, SmartAV Tango-1 + 12-fader expansion, MOTU Express 128, UAD-2 Quad, Lexicon PCM-91, Lexicon MPX-550, TC-Fireworx, Halion-5, Halion Sonic 2, Kontakt-5, Roland V-Drums TD-20X
Cubase iC Pro for iPhone and Android (killed by its parents at birth)
Omnisphere, Trillian + loads of real instruments.

Keyplayer

Post by Keyplayer » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:51 pm

fenderchris wrote:
Keyplayer wrote:I can't remember which preference will make the cursor STAY wherever I stop it. It keeps going back to wherever I started playing. I checked prefs and the transport menus. So far, no luck.

Thanks!
Try unchecking 'Return to start position on stop' on Preferences/Transport
Thanks, that did it! :mrgreen:
Nuendo 1.0 - 8.2 |VST Studio Connect Pro | Windows 10 Pro | Intel i7 - 5820K CPU @ 3.30 | 64-bit OS | 32GB of RAM |RME HDSPe RayDAT | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti Video Card | Euphonix MC Control, 2 Mix & Transport | Xkeys | iConnectivity mi10 MIDI Interface | UAD-2 Octo Core with UAD-1 Legacy Ultra Pak | Isotope RX4 | Melodyne 3.2 | Voxengo Plugins | Real Guitar | B4 II | EZ Drummer | Drumagog 4 | Virtual Guitarist 2 | Korg, Roland, Kurzweil Synths | Apogee Big Ben | 32 Channel Panasonic DA-7 desk | Equator D5 (5.1) & Mackie 824 (St.) monitors | VS-1680 & 880 HDR's |

Dog and Pony

Post by Dog and Pony » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:47 am

I alter this behavior so often that I assigned it a key command, command + R. john.
5 systems with N7, N8, Cubase 9.5, Nuage, Artist Series, Faderport 16, Windows 10, MacOSX 10.12 and many more toys.

Sunshy

Post by Sunshy » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:31 am

Great idea!
N 7 Cubase 9.5.1
Intel Core I7-3930K Sandy Bridge 3.8, 64 GB Corsair RAM, Itel 330 Series SSD Drive for OS, Win 10 Pro 64 bit, UAD-1s, RME UFX, UR824, UR28M, CMD-PD, CC 121, Blackmagic Intensity Pro

Oliver.Lucas

Post by Oliver.Lucas » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:51 am

Unfortunately this does not work in edit mode. Playback will always start from the highlighted event.

I still hope for a fix.
Latest Nuendo on various Macs
Main machine: Hexacore 3.3 Cheese grater with USB3 and RME Raydat, 48GB RAM, Radeon HD 7970, Caldigit FASTA USB C, Intensity Pro, PT HD 11, macOS 10.13

lukasbrooklyn

Post by lukasbrooklyn » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:32 am

Dog and Pony wrote:I alter this behavior so often that I assigned it a key command, command + R. john.
i got two separate KC's, one for stop&return, the other for just stop and stay put.

the preferences are set to not return to start position on playback, and the keycommand to stop&return triggers a macro that has these (3) commands in it:

preferences - transport - return to start position on top
transport - stop
preferences - transport - return to start position on top (*to toggle the behaviour back to the initial setting)
system// i7 4930k, w7 x64, c7.5.4, (c8)
audio// RME HDSP, SSL duende, audeze lcd-2, klein&hummel o300, adam s2x, lavry DA, avantone mixcubes, EL Fatso ...

http://www.lukasturza.com // http://www.snapmastering.com // music production / mixing / mastering [hybris, upbeats, noisia, rem koolhaas, czech television, havas, ogilvy, ...]

cubendo supercharged workflow ideas/threads of possible interest:
http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtop ... 81&t=63450
http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtop ... 81&t=38182
my supercharged workflow videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ellGhSdmXfk

Fredo
External Moderator

Post by Fredo » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:00 am

Oliver.Lucas wrote:Unfortunately this does not work in edit mode.
You are probably going to disagree with me, and probably you have developed a specific workflow ...
But Edit mode is build specificly for moving events/edits around in sync with video.
So normal "playback" (timeline moves over cursor or vice versa) is per definition not needed/wanted in Edit Mode.
Reason why the cursor disspears in Edit Mode.

Fredo

Oliver.Lucas

Post by Oliver.Lucas » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:45 am

Yes, I disagree but meditation gives me enough strength not to get too frustrated over it.
Latest Nuendo on various Macs
Main machine: Hexacore 3.3 Cheese grater with USB3 and RME Raydat, 48GB RAM, Radeon HD 7970, Caldigit FASTA USB C, Intensity Pro, PT HD 11, macOS 10.13

Dog and Pony

Post by Dog and Pony » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:54 pm

i got two separate KC's, one for stop&return, the other for just stop and stay put.

the preferences are set to not return to start position on playback, and the keycommand to stop&return triggers a macro that has these (3) commands in it:

transport - stop
preferences - transport - return to start position on top (*to toggle the behaviour back to the initial setting)

Why two KC's for that? Here, if "Prefs - Transport - Return to Start Position on Stop" is active then it does what it says, if not then the cursor stays where I hit "Stop". Is there an alternate functionality you are getting out of the macro that I'm missing? john.
5 systems with N7, N8, Cubase 9.5, Nuage, Artist Series, Faderport 16, Windows 10, MacOSX 10.12 and many more toys.

Keyplayer

Post by Keyplayer » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:20 pm

Dog and Pony wrote:I alter this behavior so often that I assigned it a key command, command + R. john.
Yep that IS a great idea!! Especially considering that I never seem to be able to get the pre-roll to function properly for me when I want to apply a rehearse mode.

I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong there.
1) I activate the pre-roll icon.
2) I set the amount for 2 bars before the start section
3) I hit play and it plays.
4) I hit stop and it does not go back to 2 bars before the start section.
Nuendo 6.5_ Pre-Roll on Transport.jpg
(40.24 KiB) Not downloaded yet
I tried punching in 2.0.0 for the 2 bars before. That didn't work. Then I tried setting 49.0.0 to start 2 bars before the bar 51 start point. But it wouldn't accept the number. Can anybody tell me how to get this to work?

Meanwhile, this on/off start point function is a GREAT work-around! Thanks a lot!

lukasbrooklyn

Post by lukasbrooklyn » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:42 pm

Dog and Pony wrote:

transport - stop

Why two KC's for that? Here, if "Prefs - Transport - Return to Start Position on Stop" is active then it does what it says, if not then the cursor stays where I hit "Stop". Is there an alternate functionality you are getting out of the macro that I'm missing? john.
just an example...

the added functionality is that i have two discreet keys set up to do these two different things with. let's say i'm auditioning a piece of music and spot a mistake, i'll use the respective keycommand to stop and not return; then zoom in and work on the arrange from there. if i'm sound-designing for instance, i'll usually want to always start auditioning from the same spot. then i'll be using the other key. (i could use markers to some extent for this, but this is faster...)
audio// RME HDSP, SSL duende, audeze lcd-2, klein&hummel o300, adam s2x, lavry DA, avantone mixcubes, EL Fatso ...

http://www.lukasturza.com // http://www.snapmastering.com // music production / mixing / mastering [hybris, upbeats, noisia, rem koolhaas, czech television, havas, ogilvy, ...]

Getalife2

Post by Getalife2 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:31 pm

Here's how I deal with this:

1. Transport is set with 'Return to start position on stop" unchecked. So it stays where I hit Stop.
2. With that setting, the first Stop stays put, but a second press of the Stop command will return the cursor to your last Start position. It becomes intuitive to hit Stop either once or twice, depending on your need in the moment.
3. I also have a single key KC set for "Play from last Start Position" to combine all at once, which I use often.

This combo gets me where I want to Play quickly.
i7 5960X/32 GB at 4.3GHz with x7 SSDs - Win 7/64 - 2x RME MADI - 3X UAD-2 Quad - VEP

lukasbrooklyn

Post by lukasbrooklyn » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:53 pm

Getalife2 wrote:Here's how I deal with this:

1. Transport is set with 'Return to start position on stop" unchecked. So it stays where I hit Stop.
2. With that setting, the first Stop stays put, but a second press of the Stop command will return the cursor to your last Start position. It becomes intuitive to hit Stop either once or twice, depending on your need in the moment.
3. I also have a single key KC set for "Play from last Start Position" to combine all at once, which I use often.

that's good too.

Rickard

Post by Rickard » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:28 pm

I do exactly what getalife2 does with stop. And It becomes intuitive (or frustrating when I can't do it in another program).

Dean
Win10|i7|12gig ram|Orion 32+ with Madiface USB|N7 + Nek|PT10 HD|UAD Quad x2| UM-3EX|Midex 8|Mackie Control + 2 extenders|too many mics and preamps to list

Sunshy

Post by Sunshy » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:00 am

I like this idea. But I'm a bit unclear. What do you use for the key command?
N 7 Cubase 9.5.1
Intel Core I7-3930K Sandy Bridge 3.8, 64 GB Corsair RAM, Itel 330 Series SSD Drive for OS, Win 10 Pro 64 bit, UAD-1s, RME UFX, UR824, UR28M, CMD-PD, CC 121, Blackmagic Intensity Pro

iBM

Post by iBM » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:20 am

That's how I deal with it as well.

To hit Stop once or twice becomes second nature.
TSR - Now a division under The Tower Studio Suite - Run by my uncles nephew

Win7/Win8 x64 | Intel i5 2500/3570K | 16 GB RAM | MOTU PCIe-424 w/ 24io x 2 / 2408 / 308
Cubase 6.5/7.5 - Nuendo 5.5 | CC121 | Slate Digital | Softube | Sonnox | SoundToys |
Eventide | Exponential Audio | Boz' Digital Lab | +++
Dynaudio BM15A | Focusrite ISA430 | Universal Audio LA-610SE/2-610/8110 |
TLAudio 5052/C1/PA-1 | TC Electronics R4000/M3000/M-One/D-Two | +++

Keyplayer

Post by Keyplayer » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:56 pm

Yep, that works. Thanks for the tip! 8-)

Getalife2

Post by Getalife2 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:56 pm

Sunshy wrote:I like this idea. But I'm a bit unclear. What do you use for the key command?
You can assign a key command for the function "Play from last Start Position" or something close to that. Sorry, I'm not in front of a DAW.
i7 5960X/32 GB at 4.3GHz with x7 SSDs - Win 7/64 - 2x RME MADI - 3X UAD-2 Quad - VEP

Sunshy

Post by Sunshy » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:37 am

Getalife2 wrote:1. Transport is set with 'Return to start position on stop" unchecked. So it stays where I hit Stop.
2. With that setting, the first Stop stays put, but a second press of the Stop command will return the cursor to your last Start position.
Step 2 is where I get lost. This insinuates that you're pressing the same button (key command) twice but it's performing two different tasks?

Or are you using the Spacebar to "Transport - start/stop" and another separate key command for the "Return to start position" macro?
N 7 Cubase 9.5.1

iBM

Post by iBM » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:06 am

By using the nr pads:

Enter = Play
0 = Stop (stops where you are), Hit 0 again = Jumps to last started
Comma = Goes to project start
TSR - Now a division under The Tower Studio Suite - Run by my uncles nephew

Win7/Win8 x64 | Intel i5 2500/3570K | 16 GB RAM | MOTU PCIe-424 w/ 24io x 2 / 2408 / 308
Cubase 6.5/7.5 - Nuendo 5.5 | CC121 | Slate Digital | Softube | Sonnox | SoundToys |
Eventide | Exponential Audio | Boz' Digital Lab | +++
Dynaudio BM15A | Focusrite ISA430 | Universal Audio LA-610SE/2-610/8110 |
TLAudio 5052/C1/PA-1 | TC Electronics R4000/M3000/M-One/D-Two | +++

Getalife2

Post by Getalife2 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:37 am

Sunshy wrote:
Step 2 is where I get lost. This insinuates that you're pressing the same button (key command) twice but it's performing two different tasks?

Yes. After you uncheck that preference, you hit Numeric Keypad "0" once and the Transport stops and stays where the Transport currently is. Hit "0" a second time and the Transport will return to where it was the last time you hit Play.

Two different, but very logical, functions for the same key. This assumes you have a numeric keypad on your QWERTY. If not, I would grab a bluetooth or USB numeric keypad for use with Nuendo. Just too useful to do without.

Sunshy

Post by Sunshy » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:50 pm

OK, i got it to work. This is so great. Wish I would have known about this behavior a long time ago. Nuendo is so "deep."
N 7 Cubase 9.5.1

wosstudio

Post by wosstudio » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:25 am

Negative fo rme. I load up a file plant the cursor somewhere into the song, hit ENTER to play. Hit "0" to stop and cursor jumps to beginning of the file. Repeat the process and this time the cursor stays where I stop. This is really irritating.

Found a thread that said to right click the stop button in the transport control. I see the check boxes and I have unchecked both of them and it s just ignores that setting.

Help! This is ruining my workflow.

mbira

Post by mbira » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:52 pm

lukasbrooklyn wrote:
Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:32 am

transport - stop
Years later, but thank you for this!
Cubase Pro - usually the latest version | Cubase Elements (because of the damn dongle) | Wavelab Pro | Dorico 2 Pro | Laptop: Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 G RAM, OS 10.10| Studio computer: 2012 12 core Mac Pro Tower 64 G RAM | Apollo 16 Firewire

Return to “General”