How do I get the cursor to stay where I stop it?

Yes, I disagree but meditation gives me enough strength not to get too frustrated over it.

i got two separate KC’s, one for stop&return, the other for just stop and stay put.

the preferences are set to not return to start position on playback, and the keycommand to stop&return triggers a macro that has these (3) commands in it:

preferences - transport - return to start position on top
transport - stop
preferences - transport - return to start position on top (*to toggle the behaviour back to the initial setting)

Why two KC’s for that? Here, if “Prefs - Transport - Return to Start Position on Stop” is active then it does what it says, if not then the cursor stays where I hit “Stop”. Is there an alternate functionality you are getting out of the macro that I’m missing? john.

Yep that IS a great idea!! Especially considering that I never seem to be able to get the pre-roll to function properly for me when I want to apply a rehearse mode.

I can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong there.

1. I activate the pre-roll icon.
  2. I set the amount for 2 bars before the start section
  3. I hit play and it plays.
  4. I hit stop and it does not go back to 2 bars before the start section.

I tried punching in 2.0.0 for the 2 bars before. That didn’t work. Then I tried setting 49.0.0 to start 2 bars before the bar 51 start point. But it wouldn’t accept the number. Can anybody tell me how to get this to work?

Meanwhile, this on/off start point function is a GREAT work-around! Thanks a lot!

just an example…

the added functionality is that i have two discreet keys set up to do these two different things with. let’s say i’m auditioning a piece of music and spot a mistake, i’ll use the respective keycommand to stop and not return; then zoom in and work on the arrange from there. if i’m sound-designing for instance, i’ll usually want to always start auditioning from the same spot. then i’ll be using the other key. (i could use markers to some extent for this, but this is faster…)

Here’s how I deal with this:

1. Transport is set with 'Return to start position on stop" unchecked. So it stays where I hit Stop.
  2. With that setting, the first Stop stays put, but a second press of the Stop command will return the cursor to your last Start position. It becomes intuitive to hit Stop either once or twice, depending on your need in the moment.
  3. I also have a single key KC set for “Play from last Start Position” to combine all at once, which I use often.

This combo gets me where I want to Play quickly.

that’s good too.

I do exactly what getalife2 does with stop. And It becomes intuitive (or frustrating when I can’t do it in another program).

Dean

I like this idea. But I’m a bit unclear. What do you use for the key command?

That’s how I deal with it as well.

To hit Stop once or twice becomes second nature.

Yep, that works. Thanks for the tip! :sunglasses:

You can assign a key command for the function “Play from last Start Position” or something close to that. Sorry, I’m not in front of a DAW.

Step 2 is where I get lost. This insinuates that you’re pressing the same button (key command) twice but it’s performing two different tasks?

Or are you using the Spacebar to “Transport - start/stop” and another separate key command for the “Return to start position” macro?

By using the nr pads:

Enter = Play
0 = Stop (stops where you are), Hit 0 again = Jumps to last started
Comma = Goes to project start

Yes. After you uncheck that preference, you hit Numeric Keypad “0” once and the Transport stops and stays where the Transport currently is. Hit “0” a second time and the Transport will return to where it was the last time you hit Play.

Two different, but very logical, functions for the same key. This assumes you have a numeric keypad on your QWERTY. If not, I would grab a bluetooth or USB numeric keypad for use with Nuendo. Just too useful to do without.

OK, i got it to work. This is so great. Wish I would have known about this behavior a long time ago. Nuendo is so “deep.”

Negative fo rme. I load up a file plant the cursor somewhere into the song, hit ENTER to play. Hit “0” to stop and cursor jumps to beginning of the file. Repeat the process and this time the cursor stays where I stop. This is really irritating.

Found a thread that said to right click the stop button in the transport control. I see the check boxes and I have unchecked both of them and it s just ignores that setting.

Help! This is ruining my workflow.

Years later, but thank you for this!

no worries!

Just to confirm, with “Return to start position on stop” in preferences unchecked, (and without setting up any key commands), here’s what happens:

When event is highlighted and you hit play, it plays. When you hit stop, it goes back to beginning of event.

When event is not highlighted and you hit play, it plays. When you hit stop, it stops where you are, and if you hit play again, it starts from there. But, if rather than hit play, you hit stop, playhead goes back to where you most recently started and stops there.

Exactly the answer I came here looking for. As you say, with “Return to Start Position on Stop” toggled off but with a Marker selected (so Description/ID/Start in the status line at the top left), hitting Space during playback would return me to the Marker; when I clicked away from any specific object (so I had “No Object Selected” in the status bar at the top), play stopped where it was, which was what I wanted to do.

Many thanks :slight_smile:
Al