HELP! (Urgent) "Corrupted Project File"

Post general topics related to Nuendo 6 here.
Brandy

HELP! (Urgent) "Corrupted Project File"

Post by Brandy » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:25 pm

I have a problem.

I just had to quit Nuendo because of some reasons and it seems that ctr-s was not executed - it was autosaving in that moment as it seems - so I quited Nuendo without manual saving - so the last NPR is 5hours old and I lost very good and creative work.

I used a freeware tool to restore the deleted backup files and well, with success - I have all the .bac files!

I was happy in the first moment but Nuendo is not able to open them - file size seems to be fine etc - but "xy.bac is corrupted and can not be loaded"....

What to do?

I feel that my work is there, that all is fine - but I can not open the bac files... Steinberg support closed for today... damn..
Christoph Brandes | Iguana Studios | Freiburg/Germany | Facebook | C8 - N6.5 - WL8 and lots of stuff like that | still originally registered in deepest 2001

Rotund

Re: HELP! (Urgent) "Corrupted Project File"

Post by Rotund » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:53 pm

Have you tried changing the file extension from bak to npr?
Make a copy of the file first and put it somewhere safe just in case.

I don't use Auto save at all for this very reason.
Plus the interruptions of work every time auto save kicks in.
Would drive me insane.

I save often and use a naming scheme.
Second nature now.
Inboard:
Win7Pro 64Bit, i7 3770k, Gigabyte Z77-UHD5, 12gb Corsair (1600Mhz), Nuendo+Nek 6.5, Reaper 4.591, Samplitude Pro X2, Studio One 3.5, CD Architect 5.2, Raydat, UAD PCIe Quad+Duo, UM-3EX, Glyph eSata Audio Drive, 6TB Storage, U-He ACE, Zebra 2, Arturia V Collection 4, Korg Legacy (MS-20, MonoPoly, Wavestation, M1), N.I. Monark, Roland SH-2, Portico 5043/5033.

Outboard:
AKG 414-B XLII (Matched Pair), AKG D 112, Neumann TLM-193, GrooveTubes GT-66, Shure SM-81 (Pair), Sennheiser e604 (3pack), SM-57 (Many), Beta SM-57, AT-3035, Many More, Audient ASP-880, Saffire Pro 40, ADA-8200, Panasonic DA-7, Event 20/20p, Alesis Monitor One, Philips MMS321 Multimedia Speakers, TLAudio, HHB, JoeMeek, dbx, Original Moog Model D, Moog Sub 37, Moog Minitaur, Moog Slim Phatty, OB-6 Desktop, DSI Prophet Rev2 8 Voice, Roland Integra 7, Roland JD-XI, Triton Le, Boss Dr. Rhythm DR-55, Sound Gizmo, Acoustic Drum Kit, Fender Stratocaster (USA), Ibanez EXSeries Bass, Laney VC-30.

Brandy

Post by Brandy » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:21 am

Thanks Rotund! I am doing it exactly like you recommended now - like I just wrote in another thread:

Well - for now I disabled autosave - and it has some real advantages:

Auto-save does not block my DAW in a critical moment (after hitting stop to hear something again)
Instead of that I am NOT interrupted in my flow anymore
I can hit ctrl-s while I am actually listening to something, because playback is not interrupted during those 50 sec

Regarding the bac file... well, I tried of course everything. Renaming etc.. Cubase... Nuendo on the Mac.. I even sent that file to E.Doll - it seems that these files were "zeroed out" - size etc is fitting (about 85MB in this case) - I checked in a Hexeditor - while a working file has a lot of bullsh*t in it that bac file had only Zeros ... though I have no clue about Hexeditor stuff it seems to me that those files are NOT identically/similar :)

Learned my lesson.
Christoph Brandes | Iguana Studios | Freiburg/Germany | Facebook | C8 - N6.5 - WL8 and lots of stuff like that | still originally registered in deepest 2001

Mpoojari

Post by Mpoojari » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:11 am

Rotund wrote:
Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:53 pm
Have you tried changing the file extension from bak to npr?
Make a copy of the file first and put it somewhere safe just in case.

I don't use Auto save at all for this very reason.
Plus the interruptions of work every time auto save kicks in.
Would drive me insane.

I save often and use a naming scheme.
Second nature now.
Hey Rotund,

You saved my day mate! Can't thank you enough!
Never knew one could load the backup files simply by renaming .bak to .npr!
Feel like a jackass!

@Brandy : I know this is an old post but I hope you managed to fix the project file! Thanks for posting!

Regards,
Matt

Return to “General”