Nuage Question

Post general topics related to Nuendo 6 here.
Fredo
External Moderator

Re: Nuage Question

Post by Fredo » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:39 am

Big K wrote:is it possible to use or implement something like a voice recognition software?
Using this on a remix of Roxette's - Crash! Boom! Bang!, wouldn't be a good idea ...
:)

Fredo

Big K

Post by Big K » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:46 pm

Yeah! That might be interesting.. lol...

But, seriously... it could be a time saver.
I remember my old spectral recording system. There, e.g., you could klick on a button and enter
a KB shortcut w/o having to go in another menue. That was quite convenient, already.

Now, clicking on a word field and enter the text by speech seems useful to me, too.
Of course, there are many other more important things to implement or to fix....
like larger click areas, no hidden stuff and better recognizable labeling on gray buttons, for example.

Big K, still on 5.5
Nuendo 10, WaveLab 9.5, RME, UAD, PoCo, Win10/64 bit, PC i7 3930K, 16GB RAM, Intensity Pro, Melodyne, Spectrasonics, VSL, All Brainworx,
Genelec 5.1, Quested HQ 210, NS10s, sevaW lla, LAWO, Neumanns, Brauners, Sennheisers, Schoeps, Sony DASH3324S, 42 RUs of classic hardware, professionally build and designed studio acoustics. SB-User since Cubase 2.0, Nuendo 1.5 ...

Bassman

Post by Bassman » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:02 pm

Hehe ... we don't need Nuage anymore.

Now we mix with HoloLens included in Windows 10 ;)

http://www.microsoft.com/microsoft-hololens/en-us

Edit: Windows 10 is free the first year for 7 and 8 users. Hope, Nuendo 7 will run on Win10 ...
Quadcore 3Ghz / 12GB RAM
3 x 250GB HD + 1 x 1 TB HD
1 x UAD-1 / MaXiO XD
Win10 (64Bit) / Nuendo 7 (64Bit) / WLab 9
Bassists come most deeply !

MattiasNYC
Grand Senior Member

Post by MattiasNYC » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:17 pm

Bassman wrote:Hehe ... we don't need Nuage anymore.

Now we mix with HoloLens included in Windows 10 ;)

http://www.microsoft.com/microsoft-hololens/en-us

Edit: Windows 10 is free the first year for 7 and 8 users. Hope, Nuendo 7 will run on Win10 ...
Great; like cocaine for the ADD generation. At least I don't foresee any increased number of traffic accidents... or do I???

(PS: Google Glass anyone?)
Nuendo 7.1.4 / Lynx TWO-B / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Ryzen 1700 3.7GHz (oc) / 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200MHz / Nvidia GTX 660 / ASUS x370-A mobo/ 500GB WD Blue system drive / Crucial BX100 250GB SSD media / spinners for library/backup ::::: iZotope RX / Phoenixverb Surround / DaVinci Resolve / Faderport / Applied Acoustics UltraAnalog / my pet pony Frank

AlexBell

Post by AlexBell » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:34 am

Hi, struggling a bit with the newly bought Nuage...

When you install Tools, it says nothing about Dante Infrastructures in the manual but it seems it won't run without it, is this correct?

I've removed the Dante card after all the trouble started so now I'm back on RME.

(Why isn't there a Nuage forum anywhere...)

Fredo
External Moderator

Post by Fredo » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:05 pm

Yes, the Dante install is part of the packages, just let it install. (Anyway, if you want to avoid installing the Dante stuff, you need to abord the installation).
Don't forget to install the workgroup manager ...

No Dante here, all RME. No problems.

Fredo

AlexBell

Post by AlexBell » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:31 pm

Maybe you can find any clues here Fredo...

When I was finished installing the Nuage system I got into problems from the first time I opened Nuendo.(on a system that's been problem free for 4 years..)

Whenever I play back I get a CPU spike (100%) that lasts for 5 seconds, or more ,freezes all audio and video and this also forces the Nuage to restart on it's own. :?

So I started going backwards again searching for the culprit, and the first attempt was removing Dante and reinstalling RME. That didn't help and in the end I had uninstalled and removed everything and should theoretically be back to the way it was before I started, but the problems are still there. Happens regardless if the project is local or from a server.

So something is still in there making problems, anything you can think of?

Cheers, Alex

Fredo
External Moderator

Post by Fredo » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:39 pm

Not sure I understand you.
So you changed your hardware too? Since you say you have switched to Dante. !?
All this has nothing to do with Nuage.

What you first need to do is create a good working system, either with RME hardware or with Dante hardware.
Once that is running well, then just add Nuage (Workgroup manager & tools), and you are in business.

Are you sure you have selected the correct audio driver in Nuendo?

Fredo

AlexBell

Post by AlexBell » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:10 pm

Because of the problems i removed the Dante audio system, so I'm now using the RME that I've always had.

But this is obviously not the reason for the problems in Nuendo.

I had a good working system, but somewhere in the process of adding Nuage the problems started. ;-)

Fredo
External Moderator

Post by Fredo » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:42 pm

I can only recommend to take one step at the time.
Make sure that your system is working correctly.
*Then* add the Nuage Workstation & Tools.

The Nuage drivers have no relation with your sound system. They do not control any of your hardware, neither do they interfere with it. The Nuage drivers connect the Nuendo software with the Nuage hardware, that's all.
In other words, if you remove your Nuage drivers, your system should perform exactly the same.

Allow me to ask again. Have you chosen the correct audio driver in Device Setup/VST Audio sysstem?

Fredo

AlexBell

Post by AlexBell » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:47 pm

Hi, thanks,

Hammerfall DSP is set as device/ASIO so that is correct I believe?

Fredo
External Moderator

Post by Fredo » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:02 pm

Yeah, that is correct.

Keyplayer

Post by Keyplayer » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:15 pm

New Nuage Question: Does Nuage offer VCA control via the hardware components, even though the VCA features aren't due in the DAW until Nuendo 7?
Nuendo 1.0 - 10 |VST Studio Connect Pro | Windows 10 Pro | Intel i7 - 5820K CPU @ 3.30 | 64-bit OS | 32GB of RAM |RME HDSPe RayDAT | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti Video Card | Euphonix MC Control, 2 Mix & Transport | Xkeys | iConnectivity mi10 MIDI Interface | UAD-2 Octo Core with UAD-1 Legacy Ultra Pak | Isotope RX4 | Melodyne 3.2 | Voxengo Plugins | Real Guitar | B4 II | EZ Drummer | Drumagog 4 | Virtual Guitarist 2 | Korg, Roland, Kurzweil Synths | Apogee Big Ben | 32 Channel Panasonic DA-7 desk | Equator D5 (5.1) & Mackie 824 (St.) monitors | VS-1680 & 880 HDR's |

Fredo
External Moderator

Post by Fredo » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:26 pm

No, there is no DSP of any kind in Nuage.

Fredo

Getalife2

Post by Getalife2 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:58 am

AlexBell wrote:Because of the problems i removed the Dante audio system, so I'm now using the RME that I've always had.

But this is obviously not the reason for the problems in Nuendo.

I had a good working system, but somewhere in the process of adding Nuage the problems started. ;-)
FWIW, I installed Nuage Tools including the Dante install on my existing and perfectly working N6.5 system with RME MADI. No performance problems for me. Nuendo worked exactly as before.

Sorry you're having issues, but I thought it would be helpful to say that the Nuage install kit did not affect my RME based Nuendo system. So it is possible to get there. I would uninstall all of it and go again. Make sure and read all of the install info, if you have not.
N10.0.20 - i7 5960X/32 GB at 4.3GHz with x7 SSDs - Win 7/64 - 2x RME MADI - 3X UAD-2 Quad - VEP

AlexBell

Post by AlexBell » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:32 pm

Hi, I'm still having problems with my system, can't find the reason at all so looks like a total re-install is the only solution.

However I have managed to do some work and testing and therefore have some initial thoughts and remarks. Some are maybe just old habits and workflow and some are grounds for future improvements I hope. Generally of course it looks and feel like a very powerful and flexible tool.

Appreciate any feedback from more experienced users and maybe there are settings or workflows that I've not found yet or misunderstood.

I just made a short list as I went along.. :

The SAVE button: This seems to be locked to a semi- SAVE AS- function, any way to change? I just want to save my current project, I've set up to have 10 backup files per project so it's really unpractical to get an incremental number for every time I hit the save button. (which is a lot...)

EDIT functions: I wish there was a choice to use them un-relative of cursor position, I'm used to the ID controller for 10 years and this was very handy when working on that. Either you were in normal mode or you were in Nuendos EDIT mode, on the Nuage there seems to be an additional Nuage Edit mode, where you first place the cursor and then select the edit you want to perform. It's not too bad when trimming, but clip volume on multiple selected events is annoying when you always have to hover over one of the objects with the cursor. Same goes for moving an event, I'd like to do that regardless of where my cursor is placed, the way it is now I get a bit confused when moving, is the picture synced/snapped to the start of the event or the end, or is it the randomly positioned cursor? I don't know until I press the play button..

Some functions, like import audio for example, seems to disconnect Nuage from Nuendo when they are opened. I still want to be able to play the project or move around when importing new events, or just previewing stuff in the browser for comparison.

On the touch screen there should be a time code visible all the time, regardless of page or function.

And finally, even though you can customize a lot of keys I'd love to see these as permanent hardware functions for even faster editing:

Delete event
Mute/unmute events
prev/next marker
crossfade

Thanks, please have your say.

Cheers

Alex

Jeremiah

Post by Jeremiah » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:12 am

AlexBell wrote: The SAVE button: This seems to be locked to a semi- SAVE AS- function, any way to change? I just want to save my current project, I've set up to have 10 backup files per project so it's really unpractical to get an incremental number for every time I hit the save button. (which is a lot...)
I bound a regular save key to my User Assignable pad "U2" button and on the User Assignable Touch Screen. Easy work around. I do agree with you that I wish the save button was a regular "save" instead of a "save as".
AlexBell wrote:And finally, even though you can customize a lot of keys I'd love to see these as permanent hardware functions for even faster editing:

Delete event
Mute/unmute events
prev/next marker
crossfade
Delete event is already there. Hit the "Cut" button in the edit section, its below "Object Select" and above "Snap"

Mute is already there. Hit the blue "Edit" button. Now look at your touch screen, bottom right where the volume knob is located, the orange button below is mute/unmute.

Prev/Next marker is already there. On the numerical keypad the < and > buttons between "0" and "Enter" [p.s. make sure you have the correct marker track "checked"] Pressing the < and > buttons will work like you always wanted, left and right marker selector.

Crossfade is not on the surface, so i bound it to the COMM user assignable keys. C1 is now my "Locate to Selection" button, or "P" on the keyboard [for you hotkeyers]. C2 is my crossfade button. To program it, select the blue "Comm" button, touch the Nuendo icon on the top left of the touch screen, select the "Communication" tab on the window that pops up, Set category to "Audio" and Command to "Crossfade. If you want the C1 to be like mine, set Category to "Transport" and Command to "Locate to Selection". Close window.. all done!

I hope you find this useful. Feel free to post more questions here. I make an attempt to look at this forum once a week or more if I know people have questions.

Cheers,
Jeremiah Slovarp

AlexBell

Post by AlexBell » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:41 am

Hi, good tip about the "cut" button. As to the others I'm aware of the user assignable keys but like I said I think those functions deserve a permanent button.

At least the way I work, but I guess that's why they're user assignable.... ;-)

Fredo
External Moderator

Post by Fredo » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:18 am

AlexBell wrote:At least the way I work, but I guess that's why they're user assignable.... ;-)

Yeah, that is the main problem which all controllers/consoles suffer from.
"the Way I work ..."
Nobody works in the same way.
Nuage has been designed, mainly for mixing.
If they would have designed it for editing, it would look completely different.
So any choice the designers make is a mistake in someone else's eyes.

A solution would be creating a new, additional Control section, (the width of the panner extention) with editing and other customisable functions. But then again, I don't see much of a market for such a section.

While many people seem to be highly annoyed by "not having it the way they want", I find it very refreshing to learn a, and adapt to, a new tool.

Fredo

Fredo

MattiasNYC
Grand Senior Member

Post by MattiasNYC » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:43 pm

I agree with Fredo here.

To date I have not yet found a controller that can successfully marry the layout preferred for editing with one for mixing. They're just vastly different things. I don't even think I've seen my "dream" controller for editing, and it would actually be shockingly simple, yet it doesn't exist. I'm honestly contemplating building one myself.

But for mixing I really think most of these devices do the job, ranging from 'pretty well' to very very well. I find myself often relying on little more than motorized touch faders when mixing. For one-man-jobs I'd say at least 70% of the sound is determined in the edit, predominantly dialog, and the rest is just a piece of cake relatively speaking. I don't quite "get" some objections people have with controllers missing for example transport functionality, since I use the keyboard for that all the time while editing anyway. I might as well keep using the keyboard for it. Ditto for automation commands (not on PT since not all are found on key commands... eh, any at all actually?).

So in the end it's just a difficult issue of ergonomics, and again I agree with Fredo; economics. Though my hunch is that a generic edit-centric controller could find a market if it worked for both video and audio editors.
Nuendo 7.1.4 / Lynx TWO-B / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Ryzen 1700 3.7GHz (oc) / 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200MHz / Nvidia GTX 660 / ASUS x370-A mobo/ 500GB WD Blue system drive / Crucial BX100 250GB SSD media / spinners for library/backup ::::: iZotope RX / Phoenixverb Surround / DaVinci Resolve / Faderport / Applied Acoustics UltraAnalog / my pet pony Frank

Dog and Pony

Post by Dog and Pony » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:41 pm

This is a place where the Cubase IC Pro app comes in quite handy. You can customize buttons in the app and display two levels of up to 25 buttons each. I have it sitting just to the right of the Nuage edit controller to give me access to more customization. It would obviously work great as an accompaniment to any controller. john.
5 systems with N7, N8, Cubase 9.5, Nuage, Artist Series, Faderport 16, Windows 10, MacOSX 10.12 and many more toys.

AlexBell

Post by AlexBell » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:36 am

Ok, so there's little need for the Mix Console window the way Nuage works, right? How do you easily tell if Q-link is active or not? :-) I've customized the F2 button for the command but there's no visual cue other than opening mix console.

Dog and Pony

Post by Dog and Pony » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:32 pm

Not in front of it right now but I believe the green "link" button on the fader module (right above the Bank arrows) lights up when QLink is engaged.

John.
5 systems with N7, N8, Cubase 9.5, Nuage, Artist Series, Faderport 16, Windows 10, MacOSX 10.12 and many more toys.

Fredo
External Moderator

Post by Fredo » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:25 am

That is correct.

Fredo

AlexBell

Post by AlexBell » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:12 am

Hi, thanks, yes just "found" the link button myself. :-)

But mine doesn't light up if I turn on Q-link? However, does it work the same way as q-link? If that is the case problem solved..

Return to “General”