Nuendo Macros work on PC, but not Mac

Post general topics related to Nuendo 6 here.
sjr011

Nuendo Macros work on PC, but not Mac

Post by sjr011 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:15 pm

Hi all. I work for a post house with nearly a dozen licenses of Nuendo 6.5. The machines are a mixture of mac and pc. All 64 bit, and running the latest versions. We've been avid users of Nuendo since version 1.

I have several long macros that I use regularly on the PC in my room, but when I try them on the mac in the same room, no workie. This holds true for other machines in the building as well. Works on PC, but not on the Macs. It'll get about halfway through the macro and just stop. I've tried messing around with the key repeat settings on the keyboard to get more pause between commands to no avail. This has been a problem since Nuendo 5, and I'm finally breaking down and looking for solutions.

Thanks for you help

Chewy Papadopoulos

Re: Nuendo Macros work on PC, but not Mac

Post by Chewy Papadopoulos » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:31 pm

If you want to send the macros over here, I could probably take a look at them, Mac-wise, next week (swamped right now).

Chewy
N10x, C8, Cubasis, Halion, UAD-2s (Quad PCI, Satellite & SOLO/Laptop), Fireface 800, UR-22, MC Control, MacPro 12 core 3.46GHz, 64 Gigs RAM OS 10.14.4; MacBook Pro 4 core, 16 Gigs, OS 10.13.6

lukasbrooklyn

Post by lukasbrooklyn » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:34 pm

a couple suggestions though nothing definitive:

- indeed, in the past, there would be issues with macro commands executing before a previous command in the macro has finished. i haven't experienced that in a long while myself... but the solution would be to add harmless dummy commands inside the macro to slow it down.
- is the macro calling another macro? that can be an issue...
- i've heard from a sb tester who themselves uses a mac that he prefers to use quickeys to pace his commands and passes macros onto nuendo in the form of separate keycommands, because he claims it's more reliable. all irony involved aside, this could mean it could be a mac thing... but one thing i'd also try out of curiosity is to delete all the macros on the mac,and rebuild one command by command, just to see...

overall the macro system is quite horrible, and has remained untouched since the beginning. no previewer, commands sometimes inserting in the wrong places, the screen showing the macro commands tiny and unexpandable... i hope this gets addressed soon. a macro recorder would be most welcome.
Last edited by lukasbrooklyn on Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
system// i7 4930k, w7 x64, c7.5.4, (c8)
audio// RME HDSP, SSL duende, audeze lcd-2, klein&hummel o300, adam s2x, lavry DA, avantone mixcubes, EL Fatso ...

http://www.lukasturza.com // http://www.snapmastering.com // music production / mixing / mastering [hybris, upbeats, noisia, rem koolhaas, czech television, havas, ogilvy, ...]

cubendo supercharged workflow ideas/threads of possible interest:
http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtop ... 81&t=63450
http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtop ... 81&t=38182
my supercharged workflow videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ellGhSdmXfk

MattiasNYC
Grand Senior Member

Post by MattiasNYC » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:40 pm

lukasbrooklyn wrote:- i've heard from a sb tester who themselves uses a mac that he prefers to use quickeys to pace his commands and passes macros onto nuendo in the form of separate keycommands, because he claims it's more reliable. all irony involved aside
I can personally not set that irony aside.
Nuendo 7.1.4 / Lynx TWO-B / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Ryzen 1700 3.7GHz (oc) / 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200MHz / Nvidia GTX 660 / ASUS x370-A mobo/ 500GB WD Blue system drive / Crucial BX100 250GB SSD media / spinners for library/backup ::::: iZotope RX / Phoenixverb Surround / DaVinci Resolve / Faderport / Applied Acoustics UltraAnalog / my pet pony Frank

sjr011

Post by sjr011 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:15 pm

They are not recalling other macros.

Each of the commands in the macros have quick keys, but I refuse to lose the macro functionality and step through one command at a time. That takes tons of my time away. As a dialogue editor, speed is king, and time is money.

I have tried deleting the macros, and re-building each of them, comparing them line for line to the PC. No effect.

I second your complaints about the macro system, and have struggled with each of your listed issues. I have no idea why it hasn't been revamped in any subsequent versions. Audition has done script/favorite recording for a decade. Why not Nuendo? That would greatly simplify the process.

I'll try inserting the dummy commands in between the important ones. Good idea!

sjr011

Post by sjr011 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:19 pm

Chewy Papadopoulos wrote:If you want to send the macros over here, I could probably take a look at them, Mac-wise, next week (swamped right now).

Chewy
appreciate the offer. The macros are very "situation dependent", and it would take a lot of explanation to familiarize you with what I'm trying to accomplish. I don't want to take up too much of your time.

Let me know when things let up, and we'll talk.

Thanks!

sjr011

Post by sjr011 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:31 pm

I tried inserting two dummy commands between each macro command to slow it down. I stepped through the new sequence with the dummy commands to make sure the desired result was still achieved. The sequence worked fine, but not as a macro, once again.

Any other ideas?

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:39 pm

Shot in the dark here- if Logical Editor Presets are involved there might be some differences Mac/PC...
independent manufacturer rep
cubase pro, nuendo, and dorico pro; latest versions
windows pro 10 | i7-3770k | ga-77x-ud5h | 32 Gb | UR44C | hp spectre x360 2018 | 16 Gb

sjr011

Post by sjr011 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:49 pm

SteveInChicago wrote:Shot in the dark here- if Logical Editor Presets are involved there might be some differences Mac/PC...
No Logical Editor Presets. Strictly Macros

Chewy Papadopoulos

Post by Chewy Papadopoulos » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:09 am

sjr011 wrote:The macros are very "situation dependent", and it would take a lot of explanation to familiarize you with what I'm trying to accomplish. I don't want to take up too much of your time.
Hey, in the "what goes around, comes around" department-- I'm always looking to shake up my macro paradigm, and would be plenty interested in seeing how you work. Will be in touch if I survive this week!

Chewy
N10x, C8, Cubasis, Halion, UAD-2s (Quad PCI, Satellite & SOLO/Laptop), Fireface 800, UR-22, MC Control, MacPro 12 core 3.46GHz, 64 Gigs RAM OS 10.14.4; MacBook Pro 4 core, 16 Gigs, OS 10.13.6

Oliver.Lucas

Post by Oliver.Lucas » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:12 pm

I have personally almost given up on the macro side. It was too frustrating to see how often things don't work.
Main machine: Fireface UFX+ 64GB, 2TB Hecacore macmini 10.14.x, egpu
Avid ProTools Ulitimate and S3. A gazillion plugings

Return to “General”