[FR] - sample processing

All feature requests and suggestions for upcoming HALion releases.
Cantankerous

[FR] - sample processing

Post by Cantankerous » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:25 pm

I am really hopeful that the sample aspect of HALion can be furthered improved. Although HALion 5 certainly offered us some fantastic sample processing additions, it has mainly been an update for the synth and presets side of things. One of the most solid additions of sample processing would be the ability to do the following to a loaded sample:

cut, paste, copy, delete, trim, crop, normalize, remove DC offset etc.

HALion currently lacks any sort of this processing and it really has Kontakt with a leg up in this regard. Being able to load a sample and keep everything self contained within the sampler itself, would be a God send, not only for standalone users, but also for those who may not have a fully compatible drag and drop daw between the sequencer and HALion, or for the simple fact, of "why should you need to spend the time doing this?"

Please consider some additional sample processes in an upcoming update, to aid in filling in the rather huge gap in this regard, currently presented from HALion.
Asus P8P67
8GB G.Skill DDR3-1600 7-8-7-24
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Echo Audiofire8
Virus Ti Desktop
Novation 49SL MKII
UAD-2 Quad x 2
CUBASE 7.5
HALion 5

JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Re: [FR] - sample processing

Post by JMCecil » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:27 pm

+ one ... and of course the idea of simply sampling to go with it
cpu:i7 6950x - RAM:128gb - OS:Win 10 - Interfaces:Lynx Aurora, Komplete Audio 6 - MIDI:Midisport 4x4, Quadra Thru
Steiny Suff: CMC:FD,CH,TP,QC,PD | Wavelab 9 | Cubase VST-32->9 | H5, GA4, HSO, Padshop Pro, Cubasis, iC Pro

beerbong

Post by beerbong » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:45 pm

to add to this, one of the hassles is the inability to double-click select in between locators in the sample displays. In Slice mode that works but not in Main or Loop
BB - Intel Quad/RME/Nvidia Video, RME Raydat, Win10 Home
Cubase 8.5 64 bit / Cubase 9.5 / Wavelab Elements

Cantankerous

Post by Cantankerous » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:02 pm

beerbong wrote:to add to this, one of the hassles is the inability to double-click select in between locators in the sample displays. In Slice mode that works but not in Main or Loop
I would love for this too. Currently, samples load with the left and right locators, both set, hard left. I would love to double click and have the locators automatically set themselves for start and end points around the waveform.
Asus P8P67
Echo Audiofire8
Virus Ti Desktop
Novation 49SL MKII
UAD-2 Quad x 2
CUBASE 7.5
HALion 5

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:06 pm

Cantankerous wrote:
beerbong wrote:to add to this, one of the hassles is the inability to double-click select in between locators in the sample displays. In Slice mode that works but not in Main or Loop
I would love for this too. Currently, samples load with the left and right locators, both set, hard left. I would love to double click and have the locators automatically set themselves for start and end points around the waveform.
I'm not sure what you mean, but can't you do that with: select the desired part -> richt click -> selection -> set sample start/end to selection?

Cantankerous

Post by Cantankerous » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:15 pm

Niles wrote:
Cantankerous wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean, but can't you do that with: select the desired part -> richt click -> selection -> set sample start/end to selection?
correct, you can, but I would rather avoid having to manually select the selection tool, highlight the waveform, then right click, context menu dig for this function, that could be done much quicker. Perhaps a key command for this would be in order, to go along with my thread here:

http://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewtopi ... 97&t=45560
Asus P8P67
Echo Audiofire8
Virus Ti Desktop
Novation 49SL MKII
UAD-2 Quad x 2
CUBASE 7.5
HALion 5

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:30 pm

Cantankerous wrote:correct, you can, but I would rather avoid having to manually select the selection tool, highlight the waveform, then right click, context menu dig for this function, that could be done much quicker.
Yeah modifier + click or a KC is a welcome addition!
You do know you can set a few key commands via -> Options -> Edit -> Key Commands button?

Cantankerous

Post by Cantankerous » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:47 pm

Yes, but have you actually gone through and seen what options are available to set up as key commands? Next to squat. Barely anything that can be set up as key commands are actually present as an assignable option, hence my FR thread, asking for more options to be opened up to being able to be assigned as key commands. The list is far too small considering what HALion is capable of and all the features it has at its disposal.
Asus P8P67
Echo Audiofire8
Virus Ti Desktop
Novation 49SL MKII
UAD-2 Quad x 2
CUBASE 7.5
HALion 5

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:55 pm

Cantankerous wrote:Yes, but have you actually gone through and seen what options are available to set up as key commands? Next to squat.
True, but you CAN set a KC for "Set sample start/end to selection" and "Range Selection" tool.
So marking the start and end can be done very quick.

No1DaBeats

Post by No1DaBeats » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:20 pm

+1 for this

It's a nice feature to set up an external wave-editor..
But the stuff that's really basic like normalizing should be covered.
Surface Book 2 (i7 16GB), Steinberg UR28M, Yamaha KX 49, Steinberg CMC CH, PD, TP & QC, Cubase Pro 9, WaveLab 8.0.2, Halion 6, Groove Agent 4

------

Life is too short for realtime-bouncing..

Cantankerous

Post by Cantankerous » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:42 am

No1DaBeats wrote:+1 for this

It's a nice feature to set up an external wave-editor..
But the stuff that's really basic like normalizing should be covered.
Yes, processing back and forth between an external editor and HALion is just an extra step that is time consuming. I also can't stand how destructive it is. It actually wants to overwrite the original sample upon loading back into HALion which is a shame. I will never use it for this reason, as I don't want the original sample permanently touched at all, but instead, just the instance that is loaded into HALion itself for that current project. If they do include any additional processing in HALion such as normalizing, remove dc offset etc, it should be non destructive to the original file and only be applied to the one loaded for that current project.
Asus P8P67
Echo Audiofire8
Virus Ti Desktop
Novation 49SL MKII
UAD-2 Quad x 2
CUBASE 7.5
HALion 5

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:16 pm

Cantankerous wrote:Yes, processing back and forth between an external editor and HALion is just an extra step that is time consuming. I also can't stand how destructive it is. It actually wants to overwrite the original sample upon loading back into HALion which is a shame.
I think this is a very nasty flaw. Because when you choose "Keep Backup" after editing in an external editor the original file is indeed being overwritten and the backup file is stored in the temporary directory. When you don't pay attention and copy it out to it's original location before leaving Halion, your file is gone!

Edit: I just see now (after sending in a support ticket) Halion writes .bak files in the original directory containing the original file. Nevertheless I would rather see it writes a version x and leave the original untouched by default.

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”