Recording an orchestra

Hope you find something to post, Tommy-boy. Thanks again! I’ll be going into the orchestra recording next weekend with the F4 as primary recording path and H4N Pro as backup system using its internal mics, on the same stand as the AT-4021’s. First time I’ll be without A/C power, so I hope everything works.

My plan is to save up for a better pair of cardioids (Schoeps, Gefell, something in that range, maybe used), hopefully sometime next year. The preamps on the H4N Pro (per specs) are much better than the H4N, so I intend to keep that as the backup to the F4, so I’m fully battery powered. After that, a passive splitter like the ART S8 so that both pairs of mics are feeding both digital recorders. So sticking with ORTF for next couple of years.

And then see where it goes. I want to try A-B, but that means another set of (omni) mics, and the people utilizing me right now are not clamoring for it, or for anything other than what I’m already doing.

And in the meantime, two chamber concerts are coming up this spring. To my understanding, ORTF was developed for a full wide orchestra, and it may not be the optimal solution for a 5-piece wind+piano concert, but I am thinking I’ll set up my AT-4021’s in ORTF, while I’ve got the H4N Pro in its x-y configuration, and see what I get. The stand should be much closer to the front of the group, if I’m understanding what I’m reading. Fortunately, there’s going to be a dress rehearsal I can record.