recording chamber music

Hah! I set the mics up at 110 degrees, with their heads spaced 170 mm’s apart. I put this configuration up about 2 feet above the conductor’s head, maybe a little less, hard to judge, about ten or twelve feet back. The mics were AT-4041’s. I had recorded the dress rehearsal, and I thought the stereo separation was very realistic compared to what I heard, sitting in the front row. And it worked with the piano soloist in the second piece. The piano was front and center on the stage with the top fully up, and I had been worried that the piano would dominate at that distance, but it did not, I assume, owing to the fact that the mics were high above.

The recording I got was full of detail, and not a lot of hall sound; I guess due to the fact that they are cardiods.

My mix added reverb, normalized the volume, had a few minor eq tweaks (done by ear comparing with the Detroit Symphony on the same piece), and had a hard limiter. I had noticed that every time a bass drum hit, there was 7db on the table, so that’s why I had the hard limiter.

And here you have an example of what I got (which I had posted in my other thread):
https://soundcloud.com/incontinentals/tchaikovsky-symphony-no-5-ext