Steinberg Online Survey - Dear Steinberg

General discussions on songwriting, mixing, music business and other music related topics.
Carvin Man

Steinberg Online Survey - Dear Steinberg

Post by Carvin Man » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:52 pm

Please do NOT make Cubase into a Web-shop app... Please do NOT make our recording software into a fully fledged online store... PLEASE!!!

The nature of these questions didn't exactly hide what actual plans Steiberg are working on IMO.

All I want is a lean mean recording and mixing machine...

You have many areas you could improve immensly, starting with the mixer (being able to move tracks within the mixer is high on my list +++)

Manike

Re: Steinberg Online Survey - Dear Steinberg

Post by Manike » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:16 pm

I agree with you.

However I think they need a way to highlight the additional vst's and plugins they have available on their website which I don't think gets alot of viewing like the yamaha vintage collection etc.
8-Core Trashcan Mac Pro : Mojave : Cubase10.0.40 : MOTU828x : Nektar P6 :
Macbook pro : Mojave
http://www.manikemusic.com

Romantique Tp
External Moderator

Post by Romantique Tp » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:18 pm

This will likely be developed by the same people behind VST Connect and VST Transit. You know, the people who specialize at this kind of stuff, not anyone with the technical knowledge to make it possible to move tracks in the mixer without breaking or corrupting a project. Cubase isn't made by a single person.

Like VST Connect and VST Transit, this will most definitely be a separate plugin that wont change anything at all if you don't use it.

Please stop panicking over nothing.
Every time someone says "it must be easy to add/fix", a programmer dies.

Cubase Pro and Wavelab Pro (latest), Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, MSI Z87-G45 GAMING, i5 4690k, GeForce GTX 760, almost every Steinberg plugin and expansion, Trilian, Komplete 10, etc etc etc etc

hjwinge

Post by hjwinge » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:46 pm

Agreed. Big no to stores and subscriptions.
Main studio: Cubase pro 9.5 and c pro 10, Wavelab 9.5, macpro middle 2012, saffire pro 40, waves 9 and 10, t-racks, plugin alliance, superior drummer and komplete, and more. Mackie D8B with probox DAW controller (MCU protocoll and Generic remote)

Classroom: imac with Cubase elements 10, saffire pro 40, behringer x32 as DAW controller MCU or MIDI/generic remote

Lasso

Post by Lasso » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:26 pm

The idea of having AI do all the dirty creative work is kinda neat though
2015 MBP Retina @ 2,8 gHz, High Sierra, Cubase Pro 10, WaveLab Pro 9, UAD Apollo Twin, UAD Apollo Satellite Quad TB

James K

Post by James K » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:59 am

What would be worse is a subscription based monthly fee to own/use Cubase. I'd go back to tape before I pay that!
27 in - iMac 2011 , 16 Gigs RAM ,
Sierra Cubase Pro 10.0.20
Mavericks Cubase Pro 9.5.5
UR28M
CC121

MattiasNYC
Grand Senior Member

Post by MattiasNYC » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:45 am

what survey?
Nuendo 7.1.4 / Lynx TWO-B / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Ryzen 1700 3.7GHz (oc) / 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200MHz / Nvidia GTX 660 / ASUS x370-A mobo/ 500GB WD Blue system drive / Crucial BX100 250GB SSD media / spinners for library/backup ::::: iZotope RX / Phoenixverb Surround / DaVinci Resolve / Faderport / Applied Acoustics UltraAnalog / my pet pony Frank

alexis
Grand Senior Member

Post by alexis » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:47 am

Romantique Tp wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:18 pm

Like VST Connect and VST Transit, this will most definitely be a separate plugin that wont change anything at all if you don't use it.

Please stop panicking over nothing.
You write as if you're certain - why?
Alexis

-Cubase "Safe Start Mode" (CTRL-ALT-SHIFT)
-Get variable-tempo audio to follow a grid here,
-Replacing freely-timed section into a variable tempo project

Cubase 9.0.20; i5-4570 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM; W10 Pro 64-bit on Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256GB; Seagate 1TB SATA 600 Audio; UR28M; Motif8; UAD-2 Solo; Jamstix 3.6; RevoicePro3.3; EZDrummer 2

Romantique Tp
External Moderator

Post by Romantique Tp » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:19 am

Everything that's able to connect to the internet in Cubase is a separate plugin, including the hub. It would make absolutely no sense to integrate this (a store and downloader) out of all things directly into Cubase.
Every time someone says "it must be easy to add/fix", a programmer dies.

Cubase Pro and Wavelab Pro (latest), Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, MSI Z87-G45 GAMING, i5 4690k, GeForce GTX 760, almost every Steinberg plugin and expansion, Trilian, Komplete 10, etc etc etc etc

Carvin Man

Post by Carvin Man » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:44 am

MattiasNYC wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:45 am
what survey?
I got a mail from Steinberg about the survey.... some days ago.

Manike

Post by Manike » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:32 pm

I don't mind the idea of a rent to purchase system where once you've paid off the amount you own the product
8-Core Trashcan Mac Pro : Mojave : Cubase10.0.40 : MOTU828x : Nektar P6 :
Macbook pro : Mojave
http://www.manikemusic.com

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:55 pm

MattiasNYC wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:45 am
what survey?
By the way, the survey is available on the website: https://www.steinberg.net/en/newsandeve ... -4650.html
independent manufacturer rep
cubase pro, nuendo, and dorico pro; latest versions
windows pro 10 | i7-3770k | ga-77x-ud5h | 32 Gb | UR-RT2 | k-mix audio interface
hp spectre x360 2018 | 16 Gb

Tommy-boy

Post by Tommy-boy » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:43 pm

Carvin Man wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:52 pm
Please do NOT make Cubase into a Web-shop app... Please do NOT make our recording software into a fully fledged online store... PLEASE!!!

The nature of these questions didn't exactly hide what actual plans Steiberg are working on IMO.

All I want is a lean mean recording and mixing machine...

You have many areas you could improve immensly>
+1. I do not want a web shop app or rental either. And I need core functionality more than bells and whistles.

Tom

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:22 pm

SB has said many times they will not go to a subscription payment model.
independent manufacturer rep
cubase pro, nuendo, and dorico pro; latest versions
windows pro 10 | i7-3770k | ga-77x-ud5h | 32 Gb | UR-RT2 | k-mix audio interface
hp spectre x360 2018 | 16 Gb

ColinPark

Post by ColinPark » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:42 pm

Lasso wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:26 pm
The idea of having AI do all the dirty creative work is kinda neat though
Totally agree. The state of music making today -- what I call "the DAW cultures" -- is that there's little to no money available to hire talent. I'm fascinated by these cultures, but have only speculated about them in private. My speculations follow...

Some DAW operators are reclusive. If you think about starting a band, then you must think about finding people to be in it, finding rehearsal space, harmonizing your workflow and career objectives with the others in the band, the logistical overhead of playing gigs (if you can get them), what to do about expenses and revenues (if any), and on and on and on. It makes being a hermit look good in terms of time-saving alone. But then the hermit has to do all of these jobs that fellow band members would have done. Even if you can write and arrange all the music, then play and record all of the instrument and vocal tracks, then mix and master it, how do you share it with the world? Back to the band, I guess.

Another DAW sub-culture is rooted in production. From what I've gathered, there's very money to be made in production because there's little money coming into anyone's pockets; with a few exceptions, mostly in the upper echelons of the commercial world. Those studios are exceptional in their personnel, equipment, and acoustics. Time pressure is always a factor.

No matter how you slice it, music creators are spread thin. The hermits are over-extended, the bands are distracted away from all things DAW, and the producers are hurried. Many would-be producers can't gain experience in a paid apprenticeship. They wind up self-taught, struggling with whatever books, you-tubes, forums, and unpaid jobs they can find.

Consequently. a lot of badly produced music is inevitable. AI offers a bit of help. It could reduce rookie mistakes coming from the teeming hordes of rookies. (BTW, I count myself in one of those hordes.) For the decent producers, it could save time. I'm amazed at what iZotope has done with Neutron and Ozone. I'd say they're on the right track to addressing these serious problems that are not going to go away.

Nobody is saying that AI is the ultimate answer. We'd all prefer to have golden ears. Maybe AI would inhibit the learning of that. I don't know if that's true for everyone. In any case, I think AI can only help.
Win 10 (64 bit), 3.5GHz i7-4770K, 32GB RAM, Sabertooth Z87, Samsung SSD 850 Pro 512GB, RME fireface UFX, Novation 61SL MkII keyboard controller, Yamaha HS7 monitors. Cubase Pro 10.0.40], HALion 6, HALion Symphonic Orchestra, Dark Planet; Ozone 8 Adv, Neutron 3 Adv, Rx7 Std; Sonarworks Ref 4; Melodyne Essential 4.2.2.004

Return to “Steinberg Lounge”