attn. teachers, I need advice

General discussions on songwriting, mixing, music business and other music related topics.
Quiet Bear

attn. teachers, I need advice

Post by Quiet Bear » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:54 am

Hello all.
I am a private music teacher who wishes to introduce my students to DAW usage. At first they would be inputting tracks of audio. I am looking for an inexpensive sequencer to introduce them to multitracking.
I don't want to scare them away with too many things to learn at first. For those with Keyboard skills, MIDI will come later. Most are wind instrument players.
They are all PC users of windows 7 and 10. Any suggestions about using their wind instruments as inputs to a "starter sequencer" would be appreciated. They would start with duets and trios that I would write for them, where they would record each part.
Any and all suggestions would be appreciated, Thank You.
Jack the Quiet Bear.

Stephen57

Re: attn. teachers, I need advice

Post by Stephen57 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:32 am

For that level, it seems lots of the kids start with some version of Garage Band. I don't know the program at all, but I've seen it widely populated on Apple Devices. I think it has enough to give them an easy way to start without the pro features beginners don't need and may even find confusing.

Cubase's entry-level program is also an easy to use basic midi sequencer. So if there's a MIDI lesson plan, it could certainly be used in a classroom or individual instruction setting. Cubase has its quirk about Flat Keys and Flat Notes, but by the time a student is ready to understand Keys, it won't matter that Cubase has some peculiarities about it. Good luck.
-------------------------------------------------------
DAW: Cubase Pro 10 (Main), Cubase Pro 9.5 (Backup); PC: HP Z230, i5 CPU quad-core 3.5 Ghz, 16 Gigs RAM; OS: Win 7 Pro 64-bit; Audio Converters, Scarlett 2I4, Zoom UCR-8; USB MIDI Controller, Akai Advance 49. VST-Is: Spectrasonics Omnisphere 2.5, Stylus RMX; Air Music: Hybrid, Transfuser 2, Vacuum Pro, Velvet, Xpand2; Novation: Bass Station; Sonovox Grand Piano; Rack: Proteus 2000, Korg 03R/W, Yamaha TG 33. Monitoring with KRK Rokit 8/G3, Tannoy PBM 6.5 II, Mics. Scheops, Sennheiser, Rode, Lectrosonics RF, etc.

Help with Cubase:
Documentation: https://steinberg.help/
Location/file paths of presets in Cubase and Nuendo: https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... nd-Nuendo-
Preferences: https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... and-Nuendo

raino
Grand Senior Member

Post by raino » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:08 pm

If you want to start with audio only recording then Audacity might be a good fit. It's free, straightforward and will give them a good sense of what working in a DAW is like without the added complexity of midi & virtual instruments.
rodger

Cubase Pro 10.0.40, Win10 Home, Halion6, BFD3, GPO, Komplete Ultimate 9, Waves Gold, Misc. other

i7 4771 Haswell Processor 3.5GHz, ADK LGA1150, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX970, RME Fireface 400, 2x UAD-2

shanabit

Post by shanabit » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:51 pm

Studio One Prime is FREE and works on Mac or PC
Non-participating in perpetuity. Enjoy your forum

Strophoid
Grand Senior Member

Post by Strophoid » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:46 pm

Cakewalk is also free these days, I'd pick that over Audacity for ease of use.
Garage band is really simple to use but limited to Apple unfortunately.
Software: Steinberg Cubase Pro 8 64-bit.
Hardware: Intel i5 6600, 16Gb DDR3, Win7 64-bit
Mackie Onyx 1620i - Steinberg Midex 8 - Steinberg CC121.

My humble contributions to what could be considered music.

Return to “Steinberg Lounge”