Win 7, 8 End of life

General discussions on songwriting, mixing, music business and other music related topics.
Suprawill1
Senior Member
Posts: 1007
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:56 am
Contact:

Re: Compatibility with previous Windows versions no longer maintained

Post by Suprawill1 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:18 am

-steve- wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:46 pm
On the same token, this topic should not devolve into a discussion simply about Windows 10, whether it's spyware, its moral and political implications or any of that. Those are perfectly valid subjects, but have little to do with what OSes are supported by Steinberg products.
Not trying to be a rebel but the discussion isn't simply about W10 but the opening topic makes it a 50/50 discussion.
The fact of its moral and political implications is the reason why certain users "don't " want to migrate to it, so that makes it a valid argument. I understand the advancement of technology and always have been for it but in the same breath, it has forced upgrades on some of those who didn't need or couldn't afford it.

I've been lucky to have all my versions of Cubase and whatever OS's I've used them on run pretty near flawlessly.
I appreciate this DAW and all it has to offer but I will unfortunately have to stay with the latest version that will run on W7 Pro. That's not to say future versions won't run on 7 but just won't be supported. It's just unfortunate that eventually, I will run into a wall with compatibility. Until I do, it's W7. :)
Home built Cooler Master tower - ASUS Prime Z270 MB - Intel Core i7 6700K@4.2G - CM Hyper 212 EVO Cooler - Corsair CX750M PSU - 32G G.Skill Ripjaw V - Dual 24" Monitors - Cubase Pro 10 - Windows 7 Pro 64 - Samsung 960 EVO NVMe - Samsung 850 EVO SSD - Roland Studio Capture Interface - X Touch Controller - Halion 5 - Halion Sonic 2 - Addictive Drums 1&2 - Melodyne 4 - Serato - Kore - Kontact - Morphology Etc Etc

misiek55
New Member
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:39 pm
Contact:

Win 7, 8 End of life

Post by misiek55 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:50 pm

Hello All

Here is my experience updating from W7 to W10
Except the fact that I had to wipe out all my apps the whole process was relatively easy, it was fortunate that my personal files cope over with no problems , now - if you have legitimate cope of W7 you can still upgrade to W10 for free as I did
I spent all night reinstalling this and that ....Looks great works great ! Since all my apps where gone I have to reinstall Cubase
Somehow I had a feeling that whole process will turn ugly when it come to Cubase
Cubase fails again !!! Groove Agent Se, Halion Se and any other "SE" VSTi which came as a freebe dont work anymore ( they where perfectly good in Win7) but now they all missing sound files - just to test it I did create new track and add Halion Se as a rack instrument ,the track was created but there is no presets and no sounds inside - only empty GUI ???
I try to reinstall missing instruments half a dozen times ,spend hours on this forum looking for quick fix but no matter what I did I couldn't make it work :shock:
Anybody had experience the same problems after reinstalling CB10 Pro ?
Any ideas how to fix it ?

Thanks for your help

dawtuition.com
New Member
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Compatibility with previous Windows versions no longer maintained

Post by dawtuition.com » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:26 am

skijumptoes wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:25 am
dawtuition.com wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:26 pm
Just like Windows 10 will be around forever, so will win 7. Rethink this one Steinberg, honestly rethink it.
You going to lose ALOT of customers.
Don't be so silly, they will lose far more active customers if they're not evolving the product. Plus they will fail to attract new customers. You won't suddenly lose the ability to run Cubase 10.0.x and it won't deteriorate in any way.

If you're happy to stick with a 10 year old OS, then why is it so hard to use a 1-2 year old DAW once C10.5 and C11 comes out? You either want progression or not, and no-one is being forced to upgrade - if you want to stick with what you have, then do so. If you want improvements then upgrade, it's a very simple logic, and takes a matter of hours. You're months away from running an insecure/exploitable OS which will start to lose online services radically - which isn't great if you're running a cloud service for archive/backup or frequently going online with it.

Actually, you probably aren't using online/cloud as you've mentioned fear of being spied on.

If you're scared of Win 10 and Cortana, then best cut your bank and store cards up, wear a bag on your head when you're walking or driving, blank your numberplate, throw your phone off a cliff, cancel your internet and cover your house in a foil dome to prevent any hardware directly seeking a wifi/4g signal to track activity.
Then let me apologise on behalf of the majority of users and businesses still using Windows 7 and the European Union as a whole who still have Privacy concerns with Microsoft Windows 10, most recently the Dutch. Silly Billies!

gamelany
Member
Posts: 235
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:34 pm

Re: Compatibility with previous Windows versions no longer maintained

Post by gamelany » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:52 am

If you suspect Win10 then use "O&OShutUp10".
SW: Win10 (64) , Cubase Pro (latest), WaveLab Pro (latest), GA5, AD2
HW: Intel i5/3.2GHz/16GB/Asus/SSD, Delta2496, Mackie Mixer

skijumptoes
Member
Posts: 433
Joined: Tue May 07, 2019 9:51 pm
Contact:

Re: Compatibility with previous Windows versions no longer maintained

Post by skijumptoes » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:31 am

dawtuition.com wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:26 am
Then let me apologise on behalf of the majority of users and businesses still using Windows 7 and the European Union as a whole who still have Privacy concerns with Microsoft Windows 10, most recently the Dutch. Silly Billies!
Majority? It's a rapidly falling minority vs Win 10.
But regardless of your conspiracy fuelled fears, if you want progression then update, if you don't, then sit on an outdated 10 year old OS - choice is yours, it's very simple, and no-ones gonna come knocking on your door to take away the C10 license.
Personally, I'd rather be in the hands of a company who are audited and regulated in the country i live rather than being at risk of exploitation from faceless BlueKeep style worms. Senseless to me to leave a business so globally exposed like that, i couldn't even pass security audits running a dead OS, and therefore would lose trade that required such compliance.

dawtuition.com
New Member
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Compatibility with previous Windows versions no longer maintained

Post by dawtuition.com » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:07 pm

gamelany wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:52 am
If you suspect Win10 then use "O&OShutUp10".
Good Tip, cheers for sharing.

dawtuition.com
New Member
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Compatibility with previous Windows versions no longer maintained

Post by dawtuition.com » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:32 pm

skijumptoes wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:31 am
dawtuition.com wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:26 am
Then let me apologise on behalf of the majority of users and businesses still using Windows 7 and the European Union as a whole who still have Privacy concerns with Microsoft Windows 10, most recently the Dutch. Silly Billies!
Majority? It's a rapidly falling minority vs Win 10.
But regardless of your conspiracy fuelled fears


Every time someone uses the "conspiracy" word they lose the argument.

Fun Fact, Windows 7 owns an astonishing 36.4% of the desktop OS market, Windows 10, 44.1 % that's only 8% up on 7 with Jan2020 what 5 months away??

(Info from NetMarketShare)

That's potentially 36.4 % of customers ready to look at alternative solutions. (and there are many) hence why other devs in this market place are holding off ditching Windows 7 until the time is right for its CUSTOMERS.

Good luck

skijumptoes
Member
Posts: 433
Joined: Tue May 07, 2019 9:51 pm
Contact:

Re: Compatibility with previous Windows versions no longer maintained

Post by skijumptoes » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:19 pm

dawtuition.com wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:32 pm
Every time someone uses the "conspiracy" word they lose the argument.
Sorry i didn't realise we were having a winner/loser argument here - i'm just offering up an unbiased logical view as to why progression for Steinberg will not lose them business.

I service around 80-90 machines a year and i'd be shot if they were left on Win 7, would lead to a fail on each security audit placed on us, which in turn leads to failure to comply with customer regulations, which puts into question any existing trade contracts. If i turned round and said "hmmm, i don't trust Microsoft" i don't think that'd go down too well.
Fun Fact, Windows 7 owns an astonishing 36.4% of the desktop OS market, Windows 10, 44.1 % that's only 8% up on 7 with Jan2020 what 5 months away??
Then you agree that Win 7 isn't the majority then - great!

I don't know if you realise, but those figures are back from Jan 2019 sol hold no relevance to being 5 months away - but you've linked them somehow?. Furthermore, based on those old figures, Win 10 'was' 8% more popular across 'ALL' OS's, in direct comparison to Win 7 it 'was' almost 20% up on Win 7, and rising hugely:-

I don't mean to hit you with facts as i know you have a winner/loser mentality going on, but for reference here's the CURRENT figures in Europe for windows OS:-
https://gs.statcounter.com/windows-vers ... 807-201908

As i keep saying, If you want progression, then upgrade. If you don't, then sit happy in obsolescence. That's your choice.

dawtuition.com
New Member
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Win 7, 8 End of life

Post by dawtuition.com » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:43 pm

its still 25 percent of the market in 2019 and they practivly gave it away FREE!

No trust in the product, not me, not my mum but entire groups of nations.

it is without a doubt a bad business decision to ditch win 7 until ALL the privacy issues related to Win 10 are resolved. Period!

skijumptoes
Member
Posts: 433
Joined: Tue May 07, 2019 9:51 pm
Contact:

Re: Win 7, 8 End of life

Post by skijumptoes » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:04 pm

Win 10 privacy is nothing to do with Steinberg, they are a business - why plough money into supporting a dead, soon to be highly exploitable/unsafe OS that will hold your product back because a few conspiracy nutcases believe some articles and hearsay they read online. If you're that scared just unplug from the internet.

What exactly are you afraid of? If you use the internet your activity is being tracked by FAR shadier organisations anyway.

Despite the world and their mother trying to backward engineer Microsofts IP, I've not seen one case where MS have been charged for Win 10 illegally spying on it's users, maybe you have? If so, it's news to me.

All the tracking data is clearly outlined on their website, and you can turn off most of it anyway. We live in an age where data collection is just part of our daily acceptance and usage of software and it'll be happening to you in Win 7 right now too, your ISP has much also.

User avatar
MattiasNYC
Grand Senior Member
Posts: 3879
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:27 am
Contact:

Re: Win 7, 8 End of life

Post by MattiasNYC » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:25 pm

dawtuition.com wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:43 pm
it is without a doubt a bad business decision to ditch win 7 until ALL the privacy issues related to Win 10 are resolved. Period!
I doubt you can find even one case where an end user has been harmed by MS' use of telemetry. People keep talking about "privacy issues" but in reality they have close to no idea what, if anything, is being collected and how it's handled.

It's just a "thing" that people say about MS just like how people for years kept telling me how iOS was so much more secure, just like OSX... which... apparently not...

The truth is that as soon as you get yourself a smartphone and start accepting access to your data to get that ecosystem going - regardless of whether it's Android/Google or iOS/Apple - you're going to be subject to the same or equally bad "privacy issues" as with Windows 10...

.. but hey, we can always disconnect completely and live in a nice cottage in the woods somewhere...

PS: Mods - did you delete a post of mine? I could have sworn I wrote one like yesterday with a link to current marketshares..
Nuendo 7.1.4 / Lynx TWO-B / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Ryzen 1700 3.7GHz (oc) / 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200MHz / Nvidia GTX 660 / ASUS x370-A mobo/ 500GB WD Blue system drive / Crucial BX100 250GB SSD media / spinners for library/backup ::::: iZotope RX / Phoenixverb Surround / DaVinci Resolve / Faderport / Applied Acoustics UltraAnalog / my pet pony Frank

Rhino
Member
Posts: 323
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:20 am
Contact:

Re: Win 7, 8 End of life

Post by Rhino » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:22 pm

MattiasNYC wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:25 pm
I doubt you can find even one case where an end user has been harmed by MS' use of telemetry. People keep talking about "privacy issues" but in reality they have close to no idea what, if anything, is being collected and how it's handled
the very nature of catastrophic data leaks is they are not known in advance, and once they get known, it's too late. :shock: *
they can't abuse or leak what they don't have ...
point is, my data is nobody's business but my own, period. :arrow:
doesn't mean I'm old and in the way,
I'm pretty much on top of cutting edge technology, where it benefits me, especially for DAW use.
that's why I use Cubase Pro, on a physically offline DAW.
no online OS required for any of that.
I have other machines, online behind a firewall.

and I'm smart enough to get by with dumb phones, that do their single core job way better than any iPhoneHome. :P

peace,
Rhino

* Adobe, Farcebook / Cambridge Analytica, Google, to only name three of the bigger (known :!: ) scandals - need I say more ?
proud to say, none of these affected me, as I never was in bed with them ...
When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say.
(George R.R. Martin)

User avatar
jaslan
Grand Senior Member
Posts: 3317
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Win 7, 8 End of life

Post by jaslan » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:01 pm

If you use a bank or have a job, your most critical personal information is already at risk anyway.
I’m not sure what being hyper-paranoid about MS will change.
They might share that you like classic rock with Amazon?
All that stuff can be turned off anyway.
Cubase Pro 10. Core-i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, Windows 10. UR44. M-Audio Axiom Pro 61. Fishman TriplePlay. Komplete 11 Ultimate. Jamstix 4. Absolute VST3. 418 Carrier Landings.
SoundCloud

User avatar
MattiasNYC
Grand Senior Member
Posts: 3879
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:27 am
Contact:

Re: Win 7, 8 End of life

Post by MattiasNYC » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:37 am

Rhino wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:22 pm
MattiasNYC wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:25 pm
I doubt you can find even one case where an end user has been harmed by MS' use of telemetry. People keep talking about "privacy issues" but in reality they have close to no idea what, if anything, is being collected and how it's handled
the very nature of catastrophic data leaks is they are not known in advance, and once they get known, it's too late. :shock: *
So in other words your complaint is just like all others I've seen where people are complaining about a lack of privacy regarding MS' products, yet nobody seems to be able to point to concrete examples of what I mentioned.
Rhino wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:22 pm
point is, my data is nobody's business but my own, period. :arrow:
100 bucks says you probably don't know what data they request from your Win 10 Pro machine if you set telemetry gathering to an absolute minimum, or if that data is anonymized and then sent. After all, there's nothing to be concerned about if the data is anonymous.
Rhino wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:22 pm
I'm pretty much on top of cutting edge technology, where it benefits me, especially for DAW use.
that's why I use Cubase Pro, on a physically offline DAW.
no online OS required for any of that.
I have other machines, online behind a firewall.

and I'm smart enough to get by with dumb phones, that do their single core job way better than any iPhoneHome. :P

peace,
Rhino

* Adobe, Farcebook / Cambridge Analytica, Google, to only name three of the bigger (known :!: ) scandals - need I say more ?
proud to say, none of these affected me, as I never was in bed with them ...
I got my Yahoo account hacked into. Don't see many DAW users complaining about Yahoo. Or Apple's products.

Yeah, if you want to disconnect from everything and just go lo-fi then fine. I just find it annoying that people keep harping about Win 10 and privacy concerns yet don't seem to talk about all the other companies that actually have a track record of getting hacked - or even worse; misusing information. To my knowledge you can turn off a large amount of the telemetry MS would like to get, and what you're left with actually makes your computer experience better. I bet you a fair amount of people that complain about privacy issues are the same people that would complain if their computer got infected due to not having the firewall updated (requires a connection and telemetry data to work) or would complain if software/drivers etc get out of whack and stops working properly (requires a connection and telemetry data to work).
Nuendo 7.1.4 / Lynx TWO-B / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Ryzen 1700 3.7GHz (oc) / 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200MHz / Nvidia GTX 660 / ASUS x370-A mobo/ 500GB WD Blue system drive / Crucial BX100 250GB SSD media / spinners for library/backup ::::: iZotope RX / Phoenixverb Surround / DaVinci Resolve / Faderport / Applied Acoustics UltraAnalog / my pet pony Frank

Suprawill1
Senior Member
Posts: 1007
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:56 am
Contact:

Re: Win 7, 8 End of life

Post by Suprawill1 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:17 am

MattiasNYC wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:37 am

So in other words your complaint is just like all others I've seen where people are complaining about a lack of privacy regarding MS' products, yet nobody seems to be able to point to concrete examples of what I mentioned.



I got my Yahoo account hacked into. Don't see many DAW users complaining about Yahoo. Or Apple's products.

Yeah, if you want to disconnect from everything and just go lo-fi then fine. I just find it annoying that people keep harping about Win 10 and privacy concerns yet don't seem to talk about all the other companies that actually have a track record of getting hacked - or even worse; misusing information.
Cubase users don't complain about yahoo, Apple products or other companies because they can still run Cubase without them.
But, in another update or two, they won't be able to run Cubase unless they have Win10 and that's why people keep harping about it.
I believe I have listed a valid example of why I don't trust Win10 alone and that's why I'm working on a dual boot system.

My example from a previous post goes as follows:

I don't want to concede to a system where I am no longer allowed to filter which updates I don't want.
I can understand having to upgrade an OS to accommodate the program but I'm not willing to lose other programs that are important to me in the same process because of some incompatible updates that don't work with everyone. I'm not just talking CB but other programs as well.
If you have to suck up any updates MS throws at you regardless of the consequences, then that's not "support".
When I had to uninstall windows updates to avoid conflicts, it was with then, up to date programs including current versions of Cubase. If in W10 I am not allowed to do this then I refuse to trust this OS alone.
Home built Cooler Master tower - ASUS Prime Z270 MB - Intel Core i7 6700K@4.2G - CM Hyper 212 EVO Cooler - Corsair CX750M PSU - 32G G.Skill Ripjaw V - Dual 24" Monitors - Cubase Pro 10 - Windows 7 Pro 64 - Samsung 960 EVO NVMe - Samsung 850 EVO SSD - Roland Studio Capture Interface - X Touch Controller - Halion 5 - Halion Sonic 2 - Addictive Drums 1&2 - Melodyne 4 - Serato - Kore - Kontact - Morphology Etc Etc

skijumptoes
Member
Posts: 433
Joined: Tue May 07, 2019 9:51 pm
Contact:

Re: Win 7, 8 End of life

Post by skijumptoes » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:42 am

Suprawill1 wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:17 am
I don't want to concede to a system where I am no longer allowed to filter which updates I don't want.
Then you'll need to go linux and find a DAW that works for you, as the other alternative (MacOS) is even more stricter, running a 10 year old OS is a HUGE life vs what Mac users have to keep up with.

If you don't want to update, that's your choice. The rest of us wants software that is progressive in supporting modern hardware/tech and be the best that it can be - i have zero maintenance with Win 10, coming from a long time user with Mac's i was expecting it to be hardwork but it's been fantastic, and i can only put that down to the telemetry data that goes into improving the product, compatibility, security and stability..... So why an earth would i drag my feet in the ground if they put out an update to improve my system?

The sad fact is that you've bought into all the anti-microsoft sentiment and let it somehow build into an obstacle that you must steer around - yet there's no fact around any of it., it's just good old fashioned FUD in motion.

User avatar
MattiasNYC
Grand Senior Member
Posts: 3879
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:27 am
Contact:

Re: Win 7, 8 End of life

Post by MattiasNYC » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:13 pm

Suprawill1 wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:17 am
MattiasNYC wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:37 am

So in other words your complaint is just like all others I've seen where people are complaining about a lack of privacy regarding MS' products, yet nobody seems to be able to point to concrete examples of what I mentioned.



I got my Yahoo account hacked into. Don't see many DAW users complaining about Yahoo. Or Apple's products.

Yeah, if you want to disconnect from everything and just go lo-fi then fine. I just find it annoying that people keep harping about Win 10 and privacy concerns yet don't seem to talk about all the other companies that actually have a track record of getting hacked - or even worse; misusing information.
Cubase users don't complain about yahoo, Apple products or other companies because they can still run Cubase without them.
But, in another update or two, they won't be able to run Cubase unless they have Win10 and that's why people keep harping about it.
Ok, that's a fair point.
Suprawill1 wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:17 am
I believe I have listed a valid example of why I don't trust Win10 alone and that's why I'm working on a dual boot system.

My example from a previous post goes as follows:

I don't want to concede to a system where I am no longer allowed to filter which updates I don't want.
I can understand having to upgrade an OS to accommodate the program but I'm not willing to lose other programs that are important to me in the same process because of some incompatible updates that don't work with everyone. I'm not just talking CB but other programs as well.
If you have to suck up any updates MS throws at you regardless of the consequences, then that's not "support".
When I had to uninstall windows updates to avoid conflicts, it was with then, up to date programs including current versions of Cubase. If in W10 I am not allowed to do this then I refuse to trust this OS alone.
Well I just disagree with what you imply. You imply that using Windows 10 will put you in that position, but I maintain that's not the case. Why? Because the non-feature security "quality" updates on patch-Tuesday aren't really known to break anything that is properly created and supported. In other words no software or hardware that's correctly managed will break because of the Tuesday security patches. Not only that, but if you're worried about it you can defer those for 30 days.

So what about the feature updates? Well, the feature updates I've deferred for 365 days!

So I basically have a full year (!) before I choose to update, which in turn means that everyone that made a product (in my computer) that needs to be OS compatible also has a year to get their stuff together.

At the end of the day, if I'm so concerned about compatibility then I'm going to choose companies that respond correctly and swiftly to changes in the OS, and that means within a year.

So I disagree that we're sort of forced to suffer the risk of our system not running - IF we set our Win10Pro up correctly, which is very easy to do.
Nuendo 7.1.4 / Lynx TWO-B / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Ryzen 1700 3.7GHz (oc) / 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200MHz / Nvidia GTX 660 / ASUS x370-A mobo/ 500GB WD Blue system drive / Crucial BX100 250GB SSD media / spinners for library/backup ::::: iZotope RX / Phoenixverb Surround / DaVinci Resolve / Faderport / Applied Acoustics UltraAnalog / my pet pony Frank

Suprawill1
Senior Member
Posts: 1007
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:56 am
Contact:

Re: Win 7, 8 End of life

Post by Suprawill1 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:34 am

MattiasNYC wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:13 pm


Well I just disagree with what you imply. You imply that using Windows 10 will put you in that position, but I maintain that's not the case. Why? Because the non-feature security "quality" updates on patch-Tuesday aren't really known to break anything that is properly created and supported. In other words no software or hardware that's correctly managed will break because of the Tuesday security patches. Not only that, but if you're worried about it you can defer those for 30 days.

So what about the feature updates? Well, the feature updates I've deferred for 365 days!

So I basically have a full year (!) before I choose to update, which in turn means that everyone that made a product (in my computer) that needs to be OS compatible also has a year to get their stuff together.

At the end of the day, if I'm so concerned about compatibility then I'm going to choose companies that respond correctly and swiftly to changes in the OS, and that means within a year.

So I disagree that we're sort of forced to suffer the risk of our system not running - IF we set our Win10Pro up correctly, which is very easy to do.
I have built a computer soley for recording purposes since W10 was first presented. This minimized the amount of programs I have involved.
The first program I installed was Cubase and any others following are from reputable companies including Celemony XLN and Yamaha who are all in corporation with each other.
When W10 first came out, they specifically stated that all updates were going to be installed without permission of the user and none could be uninstalled. They spoke of no deferring for any time let alone 30 or 365 days.
MS snuck W10 installation updates into Win7 daily updates and if you didn't comb through all of them, you wouldn't see it. It would update you to W10 without your permission. It happened to people I know including my uncle. That left a bad taste in my mouth about MS. In fact, they had been sued for such a gesture.
If they have since changed their protocol, I wouldn't have known it because I don't have W10 installed. Being as I don't fully trust this version until proven on my system, I am integrating a dual boot system so I will have W7 to fall back on. It's a prudent move on my part.
I'm not saying that W10 won't run more efficiently but until I deem my circumstances safe with it, it will be this way. I do a lot of studio work and can't afford spending significant time having to track down inadvertent technical problems. I've had enough experience to not make choices soley on someone's word, including or even especially the distributor's.
Home built Cooler Master tower - ASUS Prime Z270 MB - Intel Core i7 6700K@4.2G - CM Hyper 212 EVO Cooler - Corsair CX750M PSU - 32G G.Skill Ripjaw V - Dual 24" Monitors - Cubase Pro 10 - Windows 7 Pro 64 - Samsung 960 EVO NVMe - Samsung 850 EVO SSD - Roland Studio Capture Interface - X Touch Controller - Halion 5 - Halion Sonic 2 - Addictive Drums 1&2 - Melodyne 4 - Serato - Kore - Kontact - Morphology Etc Etc

Suprawill1
Senior Member
Posts: 1007
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:56 am
Contact:

Re: Win 7, 8 End of life

Post by Suprawill1 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:46 am

skijumptoes wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:42 am

Then you'll need to go linux and find a DAW that works for you, as the other alternative (MacOS) is even more stricter, running a 10 year old OS is a HUGE life vs what Mac users have to keep up with.

If you don't want to update, that's your choice. The rest of us wants software that is progressive in supporting modern hardware/tech and be the best that it can be - i have zero maintenance with Win 10, coming from a long time user with Mac's i was expecting it to be hardwork but it's been fantastic, and i can only put that down to the telemetry data that goes into improving the product, compatibility, security and stability..... So why an earth would i drag my feet in the ground if they put out an update to improve my system?

The sad fact is that you've bought into all the anti-microsoft sentiment and let it somehow build into an obstacle that you must steer around - yet there's no fact around any of it., it's just good old fashioned FUD in motion.
Never said I didn't want to update. I'm implying that I don't trust this version of MS alone without testing first. That's why I'm integrating a dual boot system so I'll have W7 to fall back on till I know my system is trouble free.

I have not bought into the anti-microsoft sentiment. My claims are from personal indulging and there's plenty of fact around it.
It's just good old fashion experience in motion. :)
Home built Cooler Master tower - ASUS Prime Z270 MB - Intel Core i7 6700K@4.2G - CM Hyper 212 EVO Cooler - Corsair CX750M PSU - 32G G.Skill Ripjaw V - Dual 24" Monitors - Cubase Pro 10 - Windows 7 Pro 64 - Samsung 960 EVO NVMe - Samsung 850 EVO SSD - Roland Studio Capture Interface - X Touch Controller - Halion 5 - Halion Sonic 2 - Addictive Drums 1&2 - Melodyne 4 - Serato - Kore - Kontact - Morphology Etc Etc

User avatar
MrSoundman
Senior Member
Posts: 2408
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:27 am
Contact:

Re: Win 7, 8 End of life

Post by MrSoundman » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:49 am

Could I make the absolutely radical suggestion that you don't leave your music computers connected to the internet? Problem solved.
Windows 10 • Cubase 10.5.0 • WaveLab 10.0.0 • SpectraLayers 6.0.20 • HALion 6.3.1 • Groove Agent 5.0.20 • Midex

skijumptoes
Member
Posts: 433
Joined: Tue May 07, 2019 9:51 pm
Contact:

Re: Win 7, 8 End of life

Post by skijumptoes » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:36 pm

Problem solved - if you're not collaborating with people online, backing up remotely, or using online sample libraries or software that requires online access.

How do you deal with GAS mid-session too if you're not online?! Lol

User avatar
MattiasNYC
Grand Senior Member
Posts: 3879
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:27 am
Contact:

Re: Win 7, 8 End of life

Post by MattiasNYC » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:41 pm

Suprawill1 wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:34 am
When W10 first came out, they specifically stated that all updates were going to be installed without permission of the user and none could be uninstalled. They spoke of no deferring for any time let alone 30 or 365 days.
MS snuck W10 installation updates into Win7 daily updates and if you didn't comb through all of them, you wouldn't see it. It would update you to W10 without your permission. It happened to people I know including my uncle. That left a bad taste in my mouth about MS. In fact, they had been sued for such a gesture.
If they have since changed their protocol, I wouldn't have known it because I don't have W10 installed.
Well it's been over four years since W10 came out...
Nuendo 7.1.4 / Lynx TWO-B / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Ryzen 1700 3.7GHz (oc) / 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200MHz / Nvidia GTX 660 / ASUS x370-A mobo/ 500GB WD Blue system drive / Crucial BX100 250GB SSD media / spinners for library/backup ::::: iZotope RX / Phoenixverb Surround / DaVinci Resolve / Faderport / Applied Acoustics UltraAnalog / my pet pony Frank

User avatar
MattiasNYC
Grand Senior Member
Posts: 3879
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:27 am
Contact:

Re: Win 7, 8 End of life

Post by MattiasNYC » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:50 pm

MrSoundman wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:49 am
Could I make the absolutely radical suggestion that you don't leave your music computers connected to the internet? Problem solved.
I actually think that while that seems to make sense people end up making a few concessions that aren't that great.

Like Skijump wrote online collaboration is pretty important these days, to a lot of people, and so it requires a connection at some point. In my case there's no time to load files over to the 'internet computer' to upload, or vice versa, because my time is precious when I work. It may sound silly, but I really do sometimes work on extremely tight deadlines. Moving several GB of data over to a drive onto another computer is just another step I don't want to take.

In addition to that one way to look at it is that it's "neater" to have one computer you're working on and it contains all that you need, and that includes access to messaging and email and again the internet for data transfer. So even just looking at mail is more convenient on the same computer. And depending on what software I'm using I'm often copy-pasting timecode from an email with mix notes into my DAW. It's a bit faster than typing (even though I type fast). Of course the other way of looking at it is that you now have the one computer that's 'messy' because all of these apps are running, but to each their own.

Lastly I'd say that there's another tradeoff worth considering: People talk about the 'safety' of their system and their ability to do work on it. Well assuming that there is collaboration or sharing taking place, and installation or use of software on the DAW computer that is offline, you're actually still subjecting the computer to data from outside. So while MS won't be the one messing with your system, you're still at risk of getting malware. Windows 10 Pro's security updates help prevent that by updating the security features in the OS. If you don't update the OS you're not getting the latest patches.

So while you're avoiding MS you might be increasing your risk from other sources. And of course, a malware attack can be just as bad or worse than an MS update that messes with some driver.

Both of those scenarios are probably unlikely though.
Nuendo 7.1.4 / Lynx TWO-B / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Ryzen 1700 3.7GHz (oc) / 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200MHz / Nvidia GTX 660 / ASUS x370-A mobo/ 500GB WD Blue system drive / Crucial BX100 250GB SSD media / spinners for library/backup ::::: iZotope RX / Phoenixverb Surround / DaVinci Resolve / Faderport / Applied Acoustics UltraAnalog / my pet pony Frank

User avatar
MattiasNYC
Grand Senior Member
Posts: 3879
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:27 am
Contact:

Re: Win 7, 8 End of life

Post by MattiasNYC » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:59 pm

skijumptoes wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:36 pm
How do you deal with GAS mid-session too if you're not online?! Lol
THE primary concern!!!
Nuendo 7.1.4 / Lynx TWO-B / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Ryzen 1700 3.7GHz (oc) / 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200MHz / Nvidia GTX 660 / ASUS x370-A mobo/ 500GB WD Blue system drive / Crucial BX100 250GB SSD media / spinners for library/backup ::::: iZotope RX / Phoenixverb Surround / DaVinci Resolve / Faderport / Applied Acoustics UltraAnalog / my pet pony Frank

Suprawill1
Senior Member
Posts: 1007
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:56 am
Contact:

Re: Win 7, 8 End of life

Post by Suprawill1 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:59 pm

MattiasNYC wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:41 pm


Well it's been over four years since W10 came out...
Yes, and I have it. Just hadn't installed it. You'd have to be following up on it to know of any changes in their protocol.
It's good to know the info you gave me. I'm still going to dual boot in the meantime.
Home built Cooler Master tower - ASUS Prime Z270 MB - Intel Core i7 6700K@4.2G - CM Hyper 212 EVO Cooler - Corsair CX750M PSU - 32G G.Skill Ripjaw V - Dual 24" Monitors - Cubase Pro 10 - Windows 7 Pro 64 - Samsung 960 EVO NVMe - Samsung 850 EVO SSD - Roland Studio Capture Interface - X Touch Controller - Halion 5 - Halion Sonic 2 - Addictive Drums 1&2 - Melodyne 4 - Serato - Kore - Kontact - Morphology Etc Etc

Post Reply

Return to “Steinberg Lounge”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests