Hey!

General discussions on songwriting, mixing, music business and other music related topics.
NorthWood MediaWorks

Hey!

Post by NorthWood MediaWorks » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:13 pm

Been quite some time since I read/wrote in here... life changes have kept me busy, setting my sights on retirement in the next 6-12 months, need to get down to some music making again. I have 8.5pro, do I really need to upgrade to 10.5? I have been mostly ITB for ages, and I see one or two features that appeal... better starting reading some more I guess.

Anyway, just wanted to say hello again, I see some familiar names and lots of new ones. 8-)

Cheers.

Robin

swamptone

Re: Hey!

Post by swamptone » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:34 pm

Howdy Robin! I don't get around here much these days, so it was nice to see your post. Are you still doing the long distance commute?

Best Wishes to you and yours for the Holidays!
formerly known as prism

Mauri

Post by Mauri » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:33 pm

Greetings from Australia, Robin, nice to 'see' you, I hope you've been well!

C10.5 has been getting quite a mixed welcome here, in my case it seems to be causing huge CPU spikes, audio in a project, with only several MIDI tracks, gets garbled after a time when looping and recording over a section in the project.
C10.0.50 works just fine with the same project, and doing the same thing.

I hope you and yours have a very happy Christmas, 'hope that's ok, I'm too damn old to be PC...

Mauri.
Cubase Pro 10.5 x64 with jBridge | WaveLab Elements 9.5 | i7 5930K @ 4.6GHz (stable) | ASUS X99 Pro | 32GB RAM | | W10 x64 Dual Boot on 2 SSDs plus 3 SSDs for samples and project/audio files | Fractal Design Define R5 case | Noctua NH-D15 | ASUS GeForce GT 730 2GB silent | Vox ToneLab SE | Mackie HR624 MKII | 2 x UAD2 Solo PCIe | RME HDSPe AIO | 2 x 24" LED monitors...

Nickeldome

Post by Nickeldome » Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:55 pm

Welcome back! You don't need to do anything if you can do what you want to in 8.5pro? A lot has changed since 8.5 but if you need an upgrade is up to you? For one 'big' thing ...32bit plugins are not supported anymore. So if you have precious gems that are only available in 32 bit be prepared for that!

I had kind of a phase probably similar to yours some years back where I totally abandoned music creation/production. But since 2013 or so I'm fully up and running again. :)

I can tell you it really helps to read in and follow the forums (Steinberg, KVR, Gearslutz, etc) and maybe other useful stuff. It will take you a while to get back into the 'flow' but you'll get there if you really want to?
Cubase Pro - Wavelab Pro (always latest version) Windows 10 Pro 64bit / Asus TUF Mark 1 X299 / i9-7900X (at 4.3 GHZ) / 64GB RAM / Geforce GTX 1060 6G / System drive Samsung M.2 1TB 960Pro / Kontakt drives 3 x 1TB Samsung Evo / Project/Audio/Archive drive 10TB Seagate Ironwolf - Audio interface: Roland UA-1610 / External gear: Kawai MP11 / Kurzweil PC88 / Sequential Circuits Prophet 5 / Roland JV1080 / Roland D50 / Korg 01/W / Elka EK22 – Midi controllers: Roli Seabord Rise 49, SoundQuest 8port-SE / Nektar Panorama P1 / Roland Octopad II / Akai MPD18 - Main VST's: Kontakt 6 / Padshop Pro / Spectrasonics Omnisphere 2.6, Trillian & Keyscape / Arturia V-collection / FXpansion BFD 3 / Toontrack Superior Drummer 3
All time user of Cubase since Atari V2 (around 1990)

Stephen57

Post by Stephen57 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:39 am

NorthWood MediaWorks wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:13 pm
Been quite some time since I read/wrote in here... life changes have kept me busy, setting my sights on retirement in the next 6-12 months, need to get down to some music making again. I have 8.5pro, do I really need to upgrade to 10.5? I have been mostly ITB for ages, and I see one or two features that appeal... better starting reading some more I guess.

Anyway, just wanted to say hello again, I see some familiar names and lots of new ones. 8-)

Cheers.

Robin
I think you'd like what 10.5 offers, but you'd also likely find that there have been some changes you may not like. A review of the threads going back to the Ver 10 roll out will show you -- right-click menu changes, tool bar and transport (F2) also changed, some other issues with the GUI and plug-in scaling, etc. Also, Ver 10.5 only supports Windows 10 (if you're on the mac, I'd check versions and so on because I think there have been some issues with that as well).

I'm still on Cubase Pro Ver 10.0.4 and think that it's better than Pro 9.5 even with some of the undesirable changes that were introduced with Ver 10. For me, the improvements outweighed any negative changes made with this version.

I tend to be a slower adopter and wait for others to "take the hit" on early releases.

Anyway, your posts have always been helpful and informative. Good luck with things.
-------------------------------------------------------
DAW: Cubase Pro 10 (Main), Cubase Pro 9.5 (Backup); PC: HP Z230, i5 CPU quad-core 3.5 Ghz, 16 Gigs RAM; OS: Win 7 Pro 64-bit; Audio Converters, Scarlett 2I4, Zoom UCR-8; USB MIDI Controller, Akai Advance 49. VST-Is: Spectrasonics Omnisphere 2.5, Stylus RMX; Air Music: Hybrid, Transfuser 2, Vacuum Pro, Velvet, Xpand2; Novation: Bass Station; Sonovox Grand Piano; Rack: Proteus 2000, Korg 03R/W, Yamaha TG 33. Monitoring with KRK Rokit 8/G3, Tannoy PBM 6.5 II, Mics. Scheops, Sennheiser, Rode, Lectrosonics RF, etc.

Help with Cubase:
Documentation: https://steinberg.help/
Location/file paths of presets in Cubase and Nuendo: https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... nd-Nuendo-
Preferences: https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... and-Nuendo

Return to “Steinberg Lounge”