Nuendo 6 estimated release timeframe

General discussions on songwriting, mixing, music business and other music related topics.
etl17

Nuendo 6 estimated release timeframe

Post by etl17 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:19 pm

Is there any tentative timeframe for the release of Nuendo 6 at this point?
Nuendo 8 / Cubase Pro 9 / Wavelab Pro 9 / Windows 10 x64 / Custom build PC 990X, 24GB RAM / RME HDSPe / UAD 2 Quad / PoCo X8 + MkII

Vocalpoint

Re: Nuendo 6 estimated release timeframe

Post by Vocalpoint » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:49 pm

etl17 wrote:Is there any tentative timeframe for the release of Nuendo 6 at this point?
Good luck with this...:)

VP
Bruce McDonald
Vocalpoint Studios
Calgary, AB Canada

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:41 pm

Vocalpoint wrote:
etl17 wrote:Is there any tentative timeframe for the release of Nuendo 6 at this point?
Good luck with this...:)

VP
:D

etl17

Post by etl17 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:09 am

I am considering upgrading my Nuendo 3, but I would hate to have to pay twice to get to Nuendo 6. It would be nice to know if version 6 is around the corner and possibly a "grace" period for getting the N5.5 to N6 upgrade for free.....
Nuendo 8 / Cubase Pro 9 / Wavelab Pro 9 / Windows 10 x64 / Custom build PC 990X, 24GB RAM / RME HDSPe / UAD 2 Quad / PoCo X8 + MkII

MattiasNYC
Grand Senior Member

Post by MattiasNYC » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:28 pm

Nuendo 10.2.2 build 396 / Lynx TWO-B / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Ryzen 1700 3.6GHz (oc) / 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200MHz / Radeon VII / ASUS x370-A mobo/ 500GB WD Blue system drive ::::: iZotope RX 7/ Phoenixverb Surround / DaVinci Resolve

Vocalpoint

Post by Vocalpoint » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:46 pm

etl17 wrote:I am considering upgrading my Nuendo 3, but I would hate to have to pay twice to get to Nuendo 6. It would be nice to know if version 6 is around the corner and possibly a "grace" period for getting the N5.5 to N6 upgrade for free.....
"Grace" periods are generally intended to be a good-faith gesture by a company when a user of said product drops X amount of dollars without really realizing that a new major version will be released so close to their purchase date.

It is not intended to open a blatant window of opportunity whereby a hard date is announced so all the holdouts can dupe the company into giving them a free upgrade.

Steiny does do grace periods to my knowledge but will never let you know when they are....

VP
Bruce McDonald
Vocalpoint Studios
Calgary, AB Canada

etl17

Post by etl17 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:59 pm

Vocalpoint wrote:"Grace" periods are ... not intended to open a blatant window of opportunity whereby a hard date is announced so all the holdouts can dupe the company into giving them a free upgrade.
VP
I don't see why you would consider something like that "duping". The way I see it, this is still revenue attributed to the new version. Once the announcement is made, all Nuendo revenue can be acknowledged as Nuendo 6 revenue. Am I missing something here?

Vocalpoint

Post by Vocalpoint » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:20 pm

etl17 wrote: Am I missing something here?
Yes - you are. You are conveniently ignoring all the "revenue" that you have not contributed while the rest of us have over the upgrades from V3->v6

Let's examine the following scenario:

Suppose the cost to move from Nuendo 3->5.5 today is $299.00 today and then suddenly N6 appears in two weeks and the upgrade is $399.00.

Do you think it's fair that you pay $299.00 today + then snag a Free Upgrade (due to grace period) - while I paid $299.00 a long time ago to upgrade to N5 and then I have to pay another $399 upon the announcement of N6?

Not to mention - my upgrade dollars (along with everyone else who upgraded at the start of the N5 cycle OR way back when...) have logically and directly helped fund ongoing development for the new version while you swoop in at the very last possible moment - drop $299 and then expect a free uptick to the latest and greatest?

Maybe not "duping" but if I have to pay $399 (not to mention the cost of 3->4 and 4->5 and so on) and have supported Nuendo across a long series of upgrades over the years and you have done nothing to help the cause by sitting on V3 for years - but you suddenly get to leapfrog over all of that to N6 - for free - does not sit right with me.

But - that's for Steinberg to decide. If they want to give it away - that's their call. However - I believe they do not.

If it were my company - the "grace" period would only apply to new users who purchased a "full" version at full freight (non-upgrade scenario) at some predetermined time period before the new version was released. Then and only then would I allow a free move to the latest.

I can't be sure but I think Steiny has done this in the past.

VP
Bruce McDonald
Vocalpoint Studios
Calgary, AB Canada

ROCKINROG

Post by ROCKINROG » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:53 am

Unfortunately the cost to go from Nuendo 3 to 5.5 plus the NEK today is over $800.00 ..... I know 'cause I just forked it out at Long & McQuade a week ago. :shock:
Cheers, Roger R Cunningham
Wired Audio & Video Installations

TimoWildenhain

Post by TimoWildenhain » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:46 pm

Hello,

more official information on the availability of Nuendo 6 will be published very soon.
There will also be a grace period. Thanks for your understanding and patience.

Best,
Timo
Timo Wildenhain - Head of Business Unit
Professional Audio Unit
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany
Checkout Steinberg on YouTube, Twitter, Facebook and MySpace!

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:27 pm

TimoWildenhain wrote:Hello,

more official information on the availability of Nuendo 6 will be published very soon.
There will also be a grace period. Thanks for your understanding and patience.

Best,
Timo

Good news! Thanks TImo :D

DG

Post by DG » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:34 pm

Timo, when you are ready to post more information about N6, if would be very helpful to be able to ask specific questions and get some answers about features that are or are not included, and bugs which are or not fixed. I'm not trying to put a dampener on this new version, but for me, upgrading to N5 would have been a waste of time and money, because there was nothing new that I needed. Obviously if N6 is more useful I will wish to upgrade, so by giving early warning I will be able to budget for upgrades to both my studios.

Thanks in advance.

DG
Nuendo 6.07
Intel Xeon 3.0GHz 10 Core 20 Threads
32GB RAM
Windows 7 (x64)Pro
RME Multiface II
Intensity
nVidia GT 640 graphics card

MattiasNYC
Grand Senior Member

Post by MattiasNYC » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:04 pm

DG wrote:Timo, when you are ready to post more information about N6, if would be very helpful to be able to ask specific questions and get some answers about features that are or are not included, and bugs which are or not fixed. I'm not trying to put a dampener on this new version, but for me, upgrading to N5 would have been a waste of time and money, because there was nothing new that I needed. Obviously if N6 is more useful I will wish to upgrade, so by giving early warning I will be able to budget for upgrades to both my studios.

Thanks in advance.

DG
+1

And I'd like to know what "very soon" really means... Friday? Next week? December?
Nuendo 10.2.2 build 396 / Lynx TWO-B / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Ryzen 1700 3.6GHz (oc) / 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200MHz / Radeon VII / ASUS x370-A mobo/ 500GB WD Blue system drive ::::: iZotope RX 7/ Phoenixverb Surround / DaVinci Resolve

etl17

Post by etl17 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:13 pm

Vocalpoint wrote:
Yes - you are. You are conveniently ignoring all the "revenue" that you have not contributed while the rest of us have over the upgrades from V3->v6

Let's examine the following scenario...
I don't mean to be dragging this discussion along, but you are missing the point. I am not expecting to put any use on Nuendo 5.x, I am only interested in Nuendo 6. You've paid for the upgrades to 4 and 5 and I assume that you have put these versions to good use. Otherwise, what was the point? Steinberg is not a charity, they produce products that hopefully their customers purchase because there is some value proposition for them. I don't think that Steinberg (or any other company in the world for that matter) is expecting people to pay for their products just so they can sustain their development efforts. It is always about business value (or it should be). Sorry, I will shut up now.

BTW, thank you Timo for the update.

DG

Post by DG » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:33 pm

etl17 wrote:
Vocalpoint wrote:

Let's examine the following scenario...
I don't mean to be dragging this discussion along, but you are missing the point. I am not expecting to put any use on Nuendo 5.x, I am only interested in Nuendo 6. You've paid for the upgrades to 4 and 5 and I assume that you have put these versions to good use. Otherwise, what was the point? Steinberg is not a charity, they produce products that hopefully their customers purchase because there is some value proposition for them. I don't think that Steinberg (or any other company in the world for that matter) is expecting people to pay for their products just so they can sustain their development efforts. It is always about business value (or it should be). Sorry, I will shut up now.

BTW, thank you Timo for the update.
Actually it's very simple. If you have no intention of using N5, don't buy it. If you do want to use it, it's only fair that you should pay to do so. I have no intention of using N5, so I haven't bought it. What could be more simple? ;)

DG
Nuendo 6.07
32GB RAM
Windows 7 (x64)Pro
RME Multiface II
Intensity

etl17

Post by etl17 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:59 pm

Good point DG. Sorry for making noise about this.

DG

Post by DG » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:07 pm

etl17 wrote:Good point DG. Sorry for making noise about this.
No need to apologise. Discussion is always good.

DG
Nuendo 6.07
32GB RAM
Windows 7 (x64)Pro
RME Multiface II
Intensity

Vocalpoint

Post by Vocalpoint » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:54 pm

etl17 wrote:I don't mean to be dragging this discussion along, but you are missing the point. I am not expecting to put any use on Nuendo 5.x, I am only interested in Nuendo 6. You've paid for the upgrades to 4 and 5 and I assume that you have put these versions to good use. Otherwise, what was the point?
I don't want to drag it out either - but I hope you understand that your original request for a "free" update is a odd one especially if you pay a lot less to move from 3->5.5. That you do not use v4 or v5 still does not justify you getting anything for free. The code/features/etc added in V4 and again in v5 have an intrinsic value - and one that you must pay for if you are making a large jump from v3 to v6.

But now - after seeing the real cost of moving from 3->5.5 ($800.00+) I do not feel so slighted if you qualified for free update during the grace period. $800 is about what we paid in upgrades so the end result is the same - as you would in fact pay for the "value" contained within v4 and v5 - whether you used them or not.
etl17 wrote:I don't think that Steinberg (or any other company in the world for that matter) is expecting people to pay for their products just so they can sustain their development efforts.
Am I reading this right? How would you suppose that Steinberg would pay the bills and their developers if none of us pay for our products? Cash flow is king - and from where I am sitting - this seems to be the only way that Steinberg could sustain development. If we stop paying - money does not flow and code does not get written.

Or do they magically get money from somewhere else?

VP
Bruce McDonald
Vocalpoint Studios
Calgary, AB Canada

etl17

Post by etl17 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:20 am

Vocalpoint wrote:
etl17 wrote:I don't think that Steinberg (or any other company in the world for that matter) is expecting people to pay for their products just so they can sustain their development efforts.
Am I reading this right? How would you suppose that Steinberg would pay the bills and their developers if none of us pay for our products? Cash flow is king - and from where I am sitting - this seems to be the only way that Steinberg could sustain development. If we stop paying - money does not flow and code does not get written.

Or do they magically get money from somewhere else?

VP
I see your points VP. I really don't want to argue this anymore. I feel that somehow we are both big fans of Steinberg (heck I've been with them since the Pro24 days), I currently own Cubase 6.5, Nuendo 3 and a whole bunch of other products from them. However, the whole NEK fiasco and the diminishing delta between Cubase and Nuendo made me to jump ship to Cubase and wait it out until Nuendo had something compelling enough for me again. I by no means expect anybody to give me anything for free. Since I know that Steinberg has the grace period policy, I was merely asking the question. I think of it more as a "pre-order" than a freebie if that makes sense.

Finally, I'm not sure about you, but the only reason that I buy products is because they provide some kind of value to me. I am not interested in paying for a product for the only reason of helping a company stay afloat. Hopefully, this makes more sense now.

Peace! :-)

Vocalpoint

Post by Vocalpoint » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:13 am

etl17 wrote: Finally, I'm not sure about you, but the only reason that I buy products is because they provide some kind of value to me. I am not interested in paying for a product for the only reason of helping a company stay afloat. Hopefully, this makes more sense now. Peace! :-)
Well - I see the "stay afloat" part as being a direct byproduct of us supporting the company. "Value" is a fleeing thing today with many of these companies and I try to support those that use their dollars wisely.

Peace out.

VP
Bruce McDonald
Vocalpoint Studios
Calgary, AB Canada

TimoWildenhain

Post by TimoWildenhain » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:23 am

Hello,

thanks for your comments. I'm happy to share some more info on features and functions in Nuendo 6 in near time (not this week but soon). I'll also share information on pricing. Except one or two update paths, Nuendo 6 will be slightly cheaper than 5 by offering more features at the same time. It will also contain a small but very professional sound effects library of good quality.

Thanks,
Timo
Timo Wildenhain - Head of Business Unit
Professional Audio Unit
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany
Checkout Steinberg on YouTube, Twitter, Facebook and MySpace!

Post by Guest » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:13 pm

Looking forward to getting the info.. :D

Oliver.Lucas

Post by Oliver.Lucas » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:35 pm

TimoWildenhain wrote:Hello,

thanks for your comments. I'm happy to share some more info on features and functions in Nuendo 6 in near time (not this week but soon). I'll also share information on pricing. Except one or two update paths, Nuendo 6 will be slightly cheaper than 5 by offering more features at the same time. It will also contain a small but very professional sound effects library of good quality.

Thanks,
Timo
Looking forward to reading your post...
Main machine: Fireface UFX+ 64GB, 2TB Hecacore macmini 10.14.x, egpu
Avid ProTools Ulitimate and S3. A gazillion plugings
https://aufnahme.myds.me

Marsman

Post by Marsman » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:32 am

TimoWildenhain wrote:information on the availability of Nuendo 6 will be published very soon.
Oh wow!! That´s what I wanted to hear!

And I thought it was pushed back to some time next year.

*whew*

ok, getting credit card ready... where is it... 8-)
Lydiot wrote: And I'd like to know what "very soon" really means... Friday? Next week? December?
very soon sounds to me like "next week".
you know there is always a lot of PR material which needs to be done first so my guess is they are just finishing that ATM
ROCKINROG wrote:Unfortunately the cost to go from Nuendo 3 to 5.5 plus the NEK today is over $800.00 ..... I know 'cause I just forked it out at Long & McQuade a week ago. :shock:
perfect timing, if you have good luck you´re in the grace period and get N6 update for a shipping fee
Nuendo 7 x64 + NEK, Windows 8.1 Professional x64
RME HDSP 9652, Dual Xeon 8-Core, Intel Chipset MB, Special Skills: Vanishing/Mind Manipulation

MattiasNYC
Grand Senior Member

Post by MattiasNYC » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:23 pm

Marsman wrote:
TimoWildenhain wrote:information on the availability of Nuendo 6 will be published very soon.
Oh wow!! That´s what I wanted to hear!

And I thought it was pushed back to some time next year.

*whew*

ok, getting credit card ready... where is it... 8-)
Lydiot wrote: And I'd like to know what "very soon" really means... Friday? Next week? December?
very soon sounds to me like "next week".
Even if it's "next week", or the week after, look at what he actually said:
He didn't say that Nuendo 6 will be available very soon. Who knows when that would be. I mean, I'll remain an optimist, but that's what I was back in the days where the leapfrogging at least appeared to be not so severe, and when I still could find the occasional advertisement of Nuendo in an industry magazine, and there was at least a pretense of two-way communication...

They better nail this version. But with large pieces of code/functionality reprogrammed and given how they release versions with pretty severe bugs I'm curbing my enthusiasm.... for now.

Return to “Steinberg Lounge”