Steinberg's dongle alternative coming

General discussions on songwriting, mixing, music business and other music related topics.
jaslan
Grand Senior Member

Re: Steinberg's dongle alternative coming

Post by jaslan » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:17 pm

comsax1 wrote:Thanks for the reply, I realize that I can't have licenses on two dongles, I was asking if I transfer the licenses to the new dongle of course the old one, while still functional will be empty. It seems to me that if I lost the new one I still have the old one and could install the ZDT license on the old one.
Yes. If you have a spare dongle, the ZDT should be very quick and easy since you don't have to wait on a new dongle. Sorry I misunderstood you.
Cubase Pro 10. Core-i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, Windows 10. UR44. M-Audio Axiom Pro 61. Fishman TriplePlay. Komplete 11 Ultimate. Jamstix 4. Absolute VST3. 418 Carrier Landings.
SoundCloud

comsax1

Post by comsax1 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:10 pm

Thanks
Ross Humphries
Cubase Pro 10.30
AKAI EWI 5000
Halion 6
Ozone 7 Advanced
Neutron Advanced
Arturia SEM v2
Korg Legacy M1
Padshop Pro
Steinberg UR28M
UR44
Lenovo Idea-Pad Y560p
i7 2630QM, 16Gigs Crucial DDR3
1TB Seagate hybrid HDD
Samsung 850 Evo msata SSD

lucvg

Post by lucvg » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:53 pm

My dongle was in the back of the desktop, suddenly the plastic was broken and no more connection was made, broke down all by it self,
sturdy material? no metal would be a better idea,
I phoned steinberg, they said, we have a zero wait policy, break this one to unrepairable condition, make a picture and send it by email to us.
When we receive this email, we will send you another the same day, but do it now or you need to wait 3 days because of the weekend, I made the picture sended it, and they never sended the dongle they promised ...
I phoned them I will buy one here in the shop, because without a 2 nd dongle you get no activation ..., so there is no zero downtime ...
It took 6 days my friends to get the activation for the new dongle that I had already for days but
they where so busy with all the new Cubase 8 activations they said, kind support but kind of very very slow too. :roll:

C.LYDE101

Post by C.LYDE101 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:55 pm

Reiknir wrote:
C.LYDE101 wrote:Not as anal as usb dongle on laptop... once-off connection, and you're sorted. The point being that UVI knows what affects the bottom line, paying user's going elsewhere.
In some case they may, but they loose customers like myself that need to use more than one computer, it is a question of functionality.

Besides having a dongle on my laptop is a minor inconvenience, not a major show stopper, which is what always makes me wonder about those anti dongle posts .... when evaluating some piece of software the minor inconvenience becomes a major factor in peoples purchase decisions over and above functionality?

Imagine if you were a tradesman in something other than music and would refuse to do certain jobs or service certain equipment because you do not like the dongle that came with the software. How impressed would your customers be?
I make more money, not making music, and the software I use dwarf's the cost of Cubase/Nuendo many times over... guess what ..not a dongle in sight. :roll:

Bottom-line, it's the actual SALE of licenses that drives the software business, and if your paying users are dissatisfied - it would make good business to find ways to meet their requirements.
The objective of good design, whether products or services, is to …satisfy customers by meeting their actual or anticipated needs and expectations.

Benutzername

Post by Benutzername » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:41 pm

C.LYDE101 wrote:I make more money, not making music, and the software I use dwarf's the cost of Cubase/Nuendo many times over... guess what ..not a dongle in sight. :roll:
Same here. My laptop at work is loaded with 30,000€ worth of software (CAD/CAM) and there is no dongle in sight. Everything is tied to this computer with a simple software license. This works beautifully and there is the option to use a dongle if I wanted to. But this is a laptop so a dongle makes no sense at all (same with Cubase).

Maybe they should look at the new MacBook, that doesn't even have a classic USB port anymore. But Steinberg is the main user and the vendor of the dongle at the same time so I doubt that they will drop it anytime soon, no matter how much it annoys the users.

Mauri

Post by Mauri » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:33 am

"But Steinberg is the main user and the vendor of the dongle at the same time so I doubt that they will drop it anytime soon, no matter how much it annoys the users."

What would really annoy Steinberg, is cracked copies of Cubase, and other of their products, all over the net.
'Anyone seen those recently?

For me, the dongle is fine, especially when re-installing the whole setup. I do understand we don't all work the same way.
Cubase Pro 10 x64 with jBridge | WaveLab Elements 9.5 | i7 5930K @ 4.7GHz (stable) | ASUS X99 Pro | 32GB RAM | | W10 x64 Dual Boot on 2 SSDs plus 3 SSDs for samples and project/audio files | Fractal Design Define R5 case | Noctua NH-D15 | ASUS GeForce GT 730 2GB silent | Vox ToneLab SE | Mackie HR624 MKII | 2 x UAD2 Solo PCIe | RME HDSPe AIO | 2 x 24" LED monitors...

monsterjazzlicks

Post by monsterjazzlicks » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:22 am

Hi,

Oh well, my THIRD dongle has just broken in the exact same way that the last TWO did! Another 15 Euros down the pan!

Why can't they make a durable one with (say) a metal chassis!?

Cheers,

Paul
IMG_1.jpg
IMG_1
(1.3 MiB) Not downloaded yet
IMG_2.jpg
IMG_2
(1010.88 KiB) Not downloaded yet
IMG_3.jpg
IMG_3
(922.47 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Fender Rhodes Suitcase, Fender Rhodes Stage, Hohner E7 Clavinet, Mini Moog Model D, Multi Moog, Yamaha DX7 (Mk1) & DX21, Korg Poly 61, Roland Juno 6.

Mackie SRM 350 (pair), Fender DeVille, Yamaha HS7 (pair), BeyerDynamic DT880 Headphones, Pro (250 Ohm).

Sibelius 7, Cubase Artist 8, HALion Sonic SE , HALion Sonic 2, HALion 5, Grand SE, Grand 3, Groove Agent 3, Arturia V_Collection, EZ2 Drummer, Steinberg CI2+ Interface, Lexicon MX300, Midi Sport 2x2.

Dell Inspiron 3737, Windows 10 Professional, 1.70gHz, 16GB RAM, 64-bit, Intel Core i3.

distante

Post by distante » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:18 pm

I got my wrapped induck tape exactly to avoid that
Hear and See Rock Songs maded with Steinberg's UR824 and Cubase 7: bit.ly/CorazonTRM ("Corazón") and bit.ly/AnimalTRM ("Animal")

Do you want to show your music or any audio work made with Cubase? fb.com/groups/Made.With.Cubase/

My Stuff:
UR824 and Cubase PRO 8.0.20 on Windows 8.1 64bits / 16GB RAM / Core i7 4790K / GTX970 4GB VRAM )
*Always the latest version available.
A bunch of Mics, Pres and Toys, Plugins and Heart

monsterjazzlicks

Post by monsterjazzlicks » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:00 pm

Hi,
distante wrote:I got my wrapped induck tape exactly to avoid that
Fair enough, but the customer should not be required to do this procedure.

Ta,

Paul

Benutzername

Post by Benutzername » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:04 pm

monsterjazzlicks wrote:Hi,
distante wrote:I got my wrapped induck tape exactly to avoid that
Fair enough, but the customer should not be required to do this procedure.
Maybe Steinberg should put some duct tape into the box when they ship the dongle?

Ed Doll
Site Admin

Post by Ed Doll » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:10 pm

In the course of this year, we will introduce new and shorter USB-eLicensers which should be more robust.
Ed Doll, Support Manager
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany

Connect with Steinberg on Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram and SoundCloud!

monsterjazzlicks

Post by monsterjazzlicks » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:36 pm

Ta Ed,
Ed Doll wrote:In the course of this year, we will introduce new and shorter USB-eLicensers which should be more robust.
That's good to hear thanks. I personally don't mind the idea of a DONGLE and I am totally against CRACKED copied software etc. But unfortunately I have found the current USB to be very flimsy and unreliable.

So, any idea as to when the NEW DESIGN may be released please?

Best,

Paul
Last edited by monsterjazzlicks on Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

distante

Post by distante » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:38 am

Ed Doll wrote:In the course of this year, we will introduce new and shorter USB-eLicensers which should be more robust.
Any tip of around what month this will happen?
Hear and See Rock Songs maded with Steinberg's UR824 and Cubase 7: bit.ly/CorazonTRM ("Corazón") and bit.ly/AnimalTRM ("Animal")

Do you want to show your music or any audio work made with Cubase? fb.com/groups/Made.With.Cubase/

My Stuff:
UR824 and Cubase PRO 8.0.20 on Windows 8.1 64bits / 16GB RAM / Core i7 4790K / GTX970 4GB VRAM )
*Always the latest version available.
A bunch of Mics, Pres and Toys, Plugins and Heart

Leonard_A

Post by Leonard_A » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:38 pm

Badass metal dongle
Windows 10 Pro | Cubase Pro 10 | Ableton Live 10 Suite | Pro Tools 2018| WaveLab Elements 9 | Cubasis | HALion 6 | Groove Agent 5| NI Massive | Xfer Serum | Vacuum Pro | Lennar Sylenth1 | UVI Falcon | CC121 | PUSH 2 | UR28M | HS7 monitors | DT770 | DT1990

jaslan
Grand Senior Member

Post by jaslan » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:38 pm

Is it not reasonable to assume that if Ed could have been more specific than "in the course of this year...", he would have? :?
Cubase Pro 10. Core-i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, Windows 10. UR44. M-Audio Axiom Pro 61. Fishman TriplePlay. Komplete 11 Ultimate. Jamstix 4. Absolute VST3. 418 Carrier Landings.
SoundCloud

monsterjazzlicks

Post by monsterjazzlicks » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:41 pm

Hi,
jaslan wrote:Is it not reasonable to assume that if Ed could have been more specific than "in the course of this year...", he would have?
Well even first half or second half would be extremely helpful. I am DONGLE-LESS at the moment and the next one I purchase will be NUMBER 4 (in only 3 x years)!

Paul
Last edited by monsterjazzlicks on Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ed Doll
Site Admin

Post by Ed Doll » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:42 pm

It's going to be the second half of this year.
Ed Doll, Support Manager
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany

Connect with Steinberg on Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram and SoundCloud!

monsterjazzlicks

Post by monsterjazzlicks » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:43 pm

Hi Ed,
Ed Doll wrote:It's going to be the second half of this year.
Thanks very much indeed.

Paul

(Mmm, it appears that some of my posts on this topic have been removed this evening!?).

Leonard_A

Post by Leonard_A » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:38 am

6 years with the same dongle. Not issue here
Windows 10 Pro | Cubase Pro 10 | Ableton Live 10 Suite | Pro Tools 2018| WaveLab Elements 9 | Cubasis | HALion 6 | Groove Agent 5| NI Massive | Xfer Serum | Vacuum Pro | Lennar Sylenth1 | UVI Falcon | CC121 | PUSH 2 | UR28M | HS7 monitors | DT770 | DT1990

thermionic

Post by thermionic » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:11 pm

Sturdier dongles could result in damaged USB ports/cards/ hubs etc. Expensive to repair on a laptop. I bought a USB utility pack from Aldi a few years ago, it included a short USB extension cable, from which my dongle has dangled since. I've had at least one incident since then which may have resulted in a broken dongle/damaged USB socket, but the dongle is still intact.

monsterjazzlicks

Post by monsterjazzlicks » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:32 pm

Hi,

My USB EXTENSION (from eBay costing 1GBP) arrived today. I thought this may be of help/use to others on the forum.
USB1.jpg
USB1
(382.81 KiB) Not downloaded yet
USB2.jpg
USB2
(342.43 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Just need to wait for the new dongle design to be released now. This and the extension lead should hopefully be a suffice and reliable combination. Hopefully the new release will be shortly after June.

Cheers,

Paul
Last edited by monsterjazzlicks on Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

monsterjazzlicks

Post by monsterjazzlicks » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:35 pm

Hi,
thermionic wrote:Sturdier dongles could result in damaged USB ports/cards/ hubs etc. Expensive to repair on a laptop. I bought a USB utility pack from Aldi a few years ago, it included a short USB extension cable, from which my dongle has dangled since. I've had at least one incident since then which may have resulted in a broken dongle/damaged USB socket, but the dongle is still intact.
Is ALDI the wisest choice of store to purchase computer-ware from!?

Paul
Last edited by monsterjazzlicks on Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Strophoid
Grand Senior Member

Post by Strophoid » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:45 pm

Not necessarily, but for something as low-value as a USB extension lead it's fine and probably dirt cheap.
Software: Steinberg Cubase Pro 8 64-bit.
Hardware: Intel i5 6600, 16Gb DDR3, Win7 64-bit
Mackie Onyx 1620i - Steinberg Midex 8 - Steinberg CC121.

My humble contributions to what could be considered music.

Woodcrest Studio

Post by Woodcrest Studio » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:07 pm

monsterjazzlicks wrote:Hi,

My USB EXTENSION (from eBay costing 1GBP) arrived today. I thought this may be of help/use to others on the forum.
USB1.jpg
USB2.jpg
Just need to wait for the new dongle design to be released now. This and the extension lead should hopefully be a suffice and reliable combination. Hopefully the new release will be shortly after June.

Cheers,

Paul
Paul, I was looking at your pictures and I couldn't help but notice all the chewing gum wrapped around your USB dongle. what's up with that?

thermionic

Post by thermionic » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:17 pm

monsterjazzlicks wrote "Is ALDI the wisest choice of store to purchase computer-ware from!? I wasn't advising anyone to get their extension lead from Aldi Paul, even though there's nothing wrong with Aldi products. I don't think I'd have advised getting the cable from eBay though...

Still, I'm glad you were receptive to my post and have adopted my idea.

Return to “Steinberg Lounge”