Cubase for Linux

General discussions on songwriting, mixing, music business and other music related topics.
MrSoundman

Re: Cubase for Linux

Post by MrSoundman » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:19 pm

Lots of software under Linux uses hardware protection; that's not a problem for Linux users as there are commercial solutions that require licensing -- even variants of the OS itself, where people opt to pay for support. The only problem I see in fact, is porting the eLicenser software to Linux, but OSX is sufficiently similar that I don't think that would be impossible.
Windows 10 • Cubase 9.5.50 • WaveLab 9.5.50 • SpectraLayers 6.0.10 • HALion 6.3.0 • Groove Agent 5.0.10 • Midex

Raphie

Post by Raphie » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:24 pm

I think it's all good, as long as windows dev doesn't suffer. I'm merely having a bit of fun ;)
Analogue Mastering
MSI raider X299 - Intel i9 7940 - MSI Gaming X 1070GTX 8GB - OCZ RD400 nvme SSD - 16GB DDR4-3000
Windows 10 x64 up to date - Cubase Pro 9.5x - Wavelab Pro 9.5x
RME MadiFX and racks full of outboard

Everything you need to know about remote control editors

raino
Grand Senior Member

Post by raino » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:38 pm

MrSoundman wrote:
Raphie wrote:would you pay €600 for a Linux version?
No, but I wouldn't have to; I have a license that entitles me to run Cubase on all platforms for which the product is available.
Exactly. So you would contribute $0 (or €0) of new revenue to Steinberg to offset their increased cost to develop and support Cubase on Linux. This is precisely the reason it will never happen - it doesn't make economic sense.
rodger

Cubase Pro 10.0.40, Win10 Home, Halion6, BFD3, GPO, Komplete Ultimate 9, Waves Gold, Misc. other

i7 4771 Haswell Processor 3.5GHz, ADK LGA1150, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX970, RME Fireface 400, 2x UAD-2

Mr. Beer

Post by Mr. Beer » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:48 pm

Can I get a version compiled for my DEC Alpha AXP?
My wife said I was delusional, I almost fell off my unicorn laughing.

MrSoundman

Post by MrSoundman » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:23 pm

Raphie wrote:I'm merely having a bit of fun ;)
Me too, to an extent .... ;)
Windows 10 • Cubase 9.5.50 • WaveLab 9.5.50 • SpectraLayers 6.0.10 • HALion 6.3.0 • Groove Agent 5.0.10 • Midex

MrSoundman

Post by MrSoundman » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:24 pm

Mr. Beer wrote:Can I get a version compiled for my DEC Alpha AXP?
Of course, as soon as Steinberg open-source it!

MrSoundman

Post by MrSoundman » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:27 pm

raino wrote:
MrSoundman wrote:
Raphie wrote:would you pay €600 for a Linux version?
No, but I wouldn't have to; I have a license that entitles me to run Cubase on all platforms for which the product is available.
Exactly. So you would contribute $0 (or €0) of new revenue to Steinberg to offset their increased cost to develop and support Cubase on Linux. This is precisely the reason it will never happen - it doesn't make economic sense.
... so do you, as a Windows user, contribute zero to the cost of maintaining Cubase for Mac? If we were to successfully campaign for the Mac version to be scrapped, would the Windows version become cheaper?

Oedipus Driftpunch

Post by Oedipus Driftpunch » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:56 pm

Cubase for Abacussssssssss

Patanjali

Post by Patanjali » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:18 am

MrSoundman wrote:... so do you, as a Windows user, contribute zero to the cost of maintaining Cubase for Mac?
At this stage, neither target OS is a green-fields proposition, with a long history of interactive development between them, which has worked because they both have been offering fairly much the same facilities.

Adding Linux brings the need for a whole lot of nuts and bolts issue handling, whereas the other two OSs are covered by existing staff.

However, the main problem with multi-platform development is when the facilities provided by each starts having major gaps, because then the product becomes limited to only what is common amongst them.

Touch is a case in point, where to cater for large screens, Cubase would need to be sophisticated enough to provide dead areas between controls for placing fingers for fine-control stabilisation, without triggering off mouse-sensitive functions. Such OS-catering would require more modularisation of Cubase so that there are several functional blocks from which OS-specific versions and users could pick. Or SB could bypass catering for large touch screens per se in favour of iC Pro type apps, with multiple W10 version instances -- with different functions or banks of channels in each -- being able to be run on each touchscreen. Each instance could have a wide dead-to-touch border, equivalent to the bezels on tablets and phones, which makes it easier to use touch on them.

SB would be asking themselves whether taking on another OS is a good use of resources at a time when the existing OSs are going through major changes, some of which are divergent, and thus require resources just to keep both their current user-bases [relatively] happy.

Depending upon how they handle the challenges those OS changes bring, SB might end up being in a better position -- architecture-wise -- to handle adding a new OS.
Patanjali
Comp: i7-4930K : Asus P9X79-E WS : 32GB : GTX 1050 : SSDx7 : UAD2Q : TCL 49C2US x2.
HW: YRG : uKEY2 : UR44.
SW: Dual boot Win10P : Cubase 8.0.30 Pro 64 : RX4Adv : Ozone6Adv : Goliath/SO/Pianos/Gypsy/SV : Sup.Drum 2

Raphie

Post by Raphie » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:14 pm

Repeat after me: "there is NO MONEY in Linux"
Analogue Mastering
MSI raider X299 - Intel i9 7940 - MSI Gaming X 1070GTX 8GB - OCZ RD400 nvme SSD - 16GB DDR4-3000

MrSoundman

Post by MrSoundman » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:57 pm

Raphie wrote:"there is NO MONEY in Linux"
Of course not, Linux is free and open source.

Some of us who've paid for a Cubase license would like to see a version compiled for Linux, that's all.

Raphie

Post by Raphie » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:17 pm

MrSoundman wrote:
Raphie wrote:"there is NO MONEY in Linux"
Of course not, Linux is free and open source.

Some of us who've paid for a Cubase license would like to see a version compiled for Linux, that's all.
this topic is getting ridicilous :)
Analogue Mastering

mroekalea

Post by mroekalea » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:16 pm

Question is legitime, the 5 pages comment not Always OnTopic.
Menoj

If nothing goes right, go left!

Win10, 3930K@3.2Ghz, 32GB, 2 x DELL u2713hm monitors (5120 x 1440), monitoring: ADAM P22A with SUB8, Audient ID14 & Behringer XR18 & Focusrite safire pro 26IO, Cubase 9.5 pro & artist 8.5, wavelab 9.5 elements, HSO, RND Portico 5033, CC121, Cubase IC pro, Halion 6, GA4, VG2, Arturia Analog Lab, TRacks CS grand + all custom elements, BFD3, Amplitube 3&4 (fender, orange, SVX collections, slash), Z3TA+2, HSO library, many Waves plugs, Plugin Alliance plugins (BX, SPL, Maag & Elysia), NI Komplete 11 Ultimate, AIR instrument expansion pack v3, Melodyne Studio v4, Soundtoys 5, Lexicon native PCM reverb bundle, UJAM Virtual Guitarist complete bundle, SoniVox Premium collection, Ezkeys upright & Vintage Fender Jazz basses, Fender Bassman 100, Markbass TTE500 , FMC Neo 2128 cab

swamptone

Post by swamptone » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:48 pm

Wouldn't it make everyone happy if they just made Linux for Windows?
formerly known as prism

Raphie

Cubase for Linux

Post by Raphie » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:26 am

How would that work Cubase for linux, It for sure needs to have a command line, as they want to "compile" a project by typing in a SUDO 200 character command string rather than just press "new"
Ever tried to update something simple as a videodriver in Linux? It's laughable, you need to recompile the whole freaking OS :) linux is for IT support staff with empowerment issues, not for normal people who want to be productive.
Analogue Mastering

MrSoundman

Post by MrSoundman » Tue May 12, 2015 10:45 pm

Another DAW declares support for Linux: 7 Cool New Things About Tracktion

Quick quote: "... with Bitwig Studio, Ardour, Pianoteq, and others all running perfectly well on Linux, one thing I think developers can’t say any more is that it’s “impossible” for commercial music tools to support the OS".

Oedipus Driftpunch

Post by Oedipus Driftpunch » Wed May 13, 2015 3:34 am

Cubase for linux? people have been asking for this even before Linux existed.

I can't see the point. windows works. use it. Make some music

Raphie

Post by Raphie » Wed May 13, 2015 11:47 am

MrSoundman wrote:Another DAW declares support for Linux: 7 Cool New Things About Tracktion

Quick quote: "... with Bitwig Studio, Ardour, Pianoteq, and others all running perfectly well on Linux, one thing I think developers can’t say any more is that it’s “impossible” for commercial music tools to support the OS".
now, that's barely a market leading daw, now is it?
Tracktion was already dead when Mackie owned them and they never ressurrected,
Analogue Mastering

MrSoundman

Post by MrSoundman » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:48 pm

By now most Windows 7 and 8 users will have gotten the friendly reminder from Microsoft that they're to be given a "free" upgrade to Windows 10, that there will be no more "versions" of Windows, rather that it will be a process of continual incremental updates, and that -- wait for it -- Windows 10 Home Edition users won't even be able to disable these automatic updates.

So -- whatever about rescuing abandoned XP users, surely everyone using Windows 7 and 8 should now be (a) at least creating image backups of their OS drives and (b) wondering when will Steinberg finally release Cubase for Linux? :-)

Bramish

Post by Bramish » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:01 pm

Count another vote strenuously in favor of a non-Mac, non-Windows version of Cubase.

Why? 'Cause some of us are getting sick and tired of being herded.

Mac? Apple is the Hotel California of ecosystems. Sure, it all works, yada yada yada. I don't like being forced into a company's profit centers for the rest of my life just 'cause I bought their hardware.

And now Windows is dispensing with all pretense of having any respect for people.

First it was Win8 requiring you create a Microsoft Account. Don't want one, don't need one. It's just another way to get their hooks in you.

Then the shady "seeding" of PCs with their marketing campaign:

http://www.computerworld.com/article/29 ... tices.html

"Microsoft quietly seeds consumer PCs with Windows 10 upgrade 'nag' campaign"

Then, the news that Win10 will force updates on you.

And Cortana - a privacy nightmare:

http://www.infoworld.com/article/293229 ... ction.html

" Cortana. If you let it, Cortana (and its henchman Bing) not only collects every scrap of information about you -- we’re talking Googlian proportions -- but it also analyzes, slices, and dices the data to discern every possible nuance.........Cortana, by default, also intercepts all of your local searches, on your own PC, and sends the results to Bing’s big data bucket."

Software companies - I do not want to have a lifelong intimate relationship with you. Your software is just a screwdriver in my toolbox, not a wedding ring. I do not want you taking over my hardware or dictating what I put on it. I don't want you constantly trying to find out more about me for your marketing database. Or sneaking in "upgrades" that do that.

For these very non-technical reasons, it would be nice to be able to run Cubase, and most other programs, on something other than iOS or Windows, because it's becoming unacceptable to use either.
* Cubase 7.5
* Windows 7, 64-bit

mrkwhlbrk

Post by mrkwhlbrk » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:49 pm

Totally agree, I don't want to have to choose between having my privacy Hoovered by my OS and keeping everything up to date.

If Steinberg forked a version of Linux and developed it as their own OS, they would have something they don't have now: control over an OS that is dedicated to multimedia production. With their industry heft they could make it a new standard OS in music/video production as they did with VST and ASIO.

NorthWood MediaWorks

Post by NorthWood MediaWorks » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:30 pm

I love the idea of a proprietary OS for Cubase. 8-)

MrSoundman

Post by MrSoundman » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:38 pm

NorthWood MediaWorks wrote:I love the idea of a proprietary OS for Cubase. 8-)
It wouldn't be the first time Yamaha have done this .... there was the CX5M back in the eighties. Of course, nobody here is suggesting that Steinberg abandon OSX or Windows -- we're just asking for an option for people who would prefer not to be voice-printed or subjected to handwriting analysis every time they want to record some music.

NorthWood MediaWorks

Post by NorthWood MediaWorks » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:43 pm

MrSoundman wrote:
NorthWood MediaWorks wrote:I love the idea of a proprietary OS for Cubase. 8-)
It wouldn't be the first time Yamaha have done this .... there was the CX5M back in the eighties. Of course, nobody here is suggesting that Steinberg abandon OSX or Windows -- we're just asking for an option for people who would prefer not to be voice-printed or subjected to handwriting analysis every time they want to record some music.
Very cool, I was just getting into Synths around 1982, I remember the FB01 as a budget version of the DX7. I still have a DX7 actually.

Doing a Steinberg compliant variant of Linux which now has great real time kernel support would be great, so it could run Wavelab also. But we are whistling into the grand canyon I fear. :roll:

Richard Herbert

Post by Richard Herbert » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:20 pm

I haven't read this whole thread but a thought that springs to mind is Steinberg discontinuing support of their Android app because they feel it is too time consuming to develop for. Why would they take on another platform that would probably bring very little financial reward and be a support nightmare?

Return to “Steinberg Lounge”