Cubase for Linux

General discussions on songwriting, mixing, music business and other music related topics.
mroekalea

Re: Cubase for Linux

Post by mroekalea » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:33 pm

Yeah but what was all the waiting for 64 bit plugins for? If Linux becomes available we have to wait maybee for 5 or 6 years before all the third party plugs are available, soundcard drivers? Developing 3 platforms? Oh my I suddenly got a pain in my head thinking it over!
Menoj

If nothing goes right, go left!

Win10, 3930K@3.2Ghz, 32GB, 2 x DELL u2713hm monitors (5120 x 1440), monitoring: ADAM P22A with SUB8, Audient ID14 & Behringer XR18 & Focusrite safire pro 26IO, Cubase 9.5 pro & artist 8.5, wavelab 9.5 elements, HSO, RND Portico 5033, CC121, Cubase IC pro, Halion 6, GA4, VG2, Arturia Analog Lab, TRacks CS grand + all custom elements, BFD3, Amplitube 3&4 (fender, orange, SVX collections, slash), Z3TA+2, HSO library, many Waves plugs, Plugin Alliance plugins (BX, SPL, Maag & Elysia), NI Komplete 11 Ultimate, AIR instrument expansion pack v3, Melodyne Studio v4, Soundtoys 5, Lexicon native PCM reverb bundle, UJAM Virtual Guitarist complete bundle, SoniVox Premium collection, Ezkeys upright & Vintage Fender Jazz basses, Fender Bassman 100, Markbass TTE500 , FMC Neo 2128 cab

sycophant

Post by sycophant » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:57 am

swamptone wrote:I would be keenly interested in a powerful Steinberg, turn-key, software/hardware package optimized to run on Linux ...... a Steinberg/Yamaha computer to run Steinberg applications under Linux (or even better, Steinux OS optimized for Cubase/Nuendo) with rock-solid stability and no hardware incompatibility issues. Yes, I would. 8-)
For better or worse, I cannot see that happening unfortunately since there are too many flavors of Linux and the development is not organised like Microsoft or Apple.

Benutzername

Post by Benutzername » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:13 pm

The markt share argument is just a statistical thing. If you look at it at a bigger scale then Linux is actually market leader by far on PCs. PC as in Personal Computer = multi purpose computers for personal use. This includes Android devices, Chromebooks and so on compared against Windows , iOS and OSX devices.

Even if you just count sales for desktop devices and notebooks alone then the statistics will be massively skewed. No Linux user buys a new PC with pre-installed Linux. You almost always get a Windows license with a new computer, even if you don't use it at all. But it will make a point in the statistics while the downloaded Linux ISO will not. I have several unused Windows licenses on my shelf because the target computers were all running Linux in the end.

Internet access logs are a bad source of market share statistics too. Most Linux users will have to pretend to be on Windows (with user agent switchers) because they will only see crippled internet sites when they use their real identity (eg Amazon, Ebay and several other big players). And another thing to keep in mind: Why should a Linux user regularly visit sites that deal with Windows and Mac software only (eg http://www.steinberg.net)? So statistics from these sites won't mean a thing. If you check the statistics of Debian or Ubuntu then they will look totally different.
mroekalea wrote:Yeah but what was all the waiting for 64 bit plugins for? If Linux becomes available we have to wait maybee for 5 or 6 years before all the third party plugs are available, soundcard drivers? Developing 3 platforms? Oh my I suddenly got a pain in my head thinking it over!
Apple's popularity helped Linux a lot in this regard as most vendors now try to create class compliant devices for OSX and especially iOS. These work perfectly fine under Linux too, including extreme low latency out of the box. And many proprietary devices just work without even having to install drivers like on Windows. EG the Steinberg CC121 is just plug and play under Linux (IIRC works with Bitwig, Renoise and REAPER). But you are right. The low end is covered very well and the high end too (with RME and others). In lacks in the middle where many devices need proprietary drivers but the companies don't have the resources to support Linux (although it is not too different to Apple's Unix version in this regard).

However, missing VST plugins are a big problem. Not much because of missing development resources. Many of the popular Plugin frameworks already support Linux-VSTs. So it would be pretty easy for developers to port plugins from other platforms to Linux.

The main problem for VST on Linux is Steinberg's absurd licensing system for the VST SDK. You have to register as a developer and sign a NDA before you are allowed to access it and it is strictly forbidden to redistribute the SDK files to other people. This makes it virtually impossible for the distribution maintainers to automatically build and include VST enabled software in the mainstream distributions. As a result this licensing scheme means that every single user has to register as a developer at Steinberg, download the SDK, compile the DAW from scratch, manually install the DAW and so on. Every single user, one by one. It is possible but very cumbersome. No wonder there is no market for VST plugins on Linux if the open source DAWs are not allowed to use them out of the box.

Same goes for ASIO. It would be pretty easy to write an ASIO wrapper for alsa to simplify porting but the license system is even more restrictive than VST.

dioman_leikari

Post by dioman_leikari » Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:54 pm

+ 100000000

I think that Steinberg should consider this hint.
DAW (SSL Certified), M/B X79, Intel E5-2620, 64 Gb ram DDR3, 8 Tb HDs ,1 HD SSD 500Gb, 2 Nvidia cards (GTX 670), 900watt pfc active, Tuned Windows 7 Pro 64bit, x3 19" lcd displays, 1 master lcd tv 55", Cubase Pro, Digital Perfomer 9, ProTools HD, Sequoia, Live, Logic Pro, Sibelius and Madness.

Raphie

Post by Raphie » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:05 pm

Linux has no ecosystem for audio pro's. Linux is fun if you are a developer or when you where playing with OS/2 during childhood because you hated windows so much.

When you make money with music you want a commercial OS, backed by a bunch of vendors. Not losing time with compiling OS's and tinkering around with settings because NOTHING works straightforward.
Even something simple like updating a driver is a complete pain under Linux
Analogue Mastering
MSI raider X299 - Intel i9 7940 - MSI Gaming X 1070GTX 8GB - OCZ RD400 nvme SSD - 16GB DDR4-3000
Windows 10 x64 up to date - Cubase Pro 9.5x - Wavelab Pro 9.5x
RME MadiFX and racks full of outboard

Everything you need to know about remote control editors

C.LYDE101

Post by C.LYDE101 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:34 pm

MrSoundman wrote:
Granted, there's always the danger that it would divert development resources away from the primary product, but modern software development techniques are such that this is not the problem it used to be. I would also accept that some features might not be portable, and of course many VSTs wouldn't run, but that didn't stop them bringing an iPAD version to market.

Linux can boot from a USB device. Imagine a "next-gen" USB eLicenser with an ADAT port and a bootable Cubase for Linux .... add pres of choice and go on location.
Eh ..no. :geek:

Expert Resource will always be an issue - look at this forum for example, no matter what new functions are conceived - there are always complaints and rants. Would any company willingly open themselves up for a new branch of moaning ninnies? ;)

Android = Linux (close enough anyways) and yet SB have still to complete the work already started on IOS on the Android platform.
My 2c - that should be the next platform of choice, as the installed base is probably 1000x larger than Linux PC users. Hopefully with version 5.0 (Lollipop) and improved audio latency performance, the door is wide open for Steinberg/Yamaha to develop all manner of audio apps ... Korg is killing it on the IOS platform!
The objective of good design, whether products or services, is to …satisfy customers by meeting their actual or anticipated needs and expectations.

C.LYDE101

Post by C.LYDE101 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:43 pm

Benutzername wrote:.

However, missing VST plugins are a big problem. Not much because of missing development resources. Many of the popular Plugin frameworks already support Linux-VSTs. So it would be pretty easy for developers to port plugins from other platforms to Linux.

The main problem for VST on Linux is Steinberg's absurd licensing system for the VST SDK. You have to register as a developer and sign a NDA before you are allowed to access it and it is strictly forbidden to redistribute the SDK files to other people. This makes it virtually impossible for the distribution maintainers to automatically build and include VST enabled software in the mainstream distributions. As a result this licensing scheme means that every single user has to register as a developer at Steinberg, download the SDK, compile the DAW from scratch, manually install the DAW and so on. Every single user, one by one. It is possible but very cumbersome. No wonder there is no market for VST plugins on Linux if the open source DAWs are not allowed to use them out of the box.

Same goes for ASIO. It would be pretty easy to write an ASIO wrapper for alsa to simplify porting but the license system is even more restrictive than VST.
If my memory serves me correct, this is standard industry practice for the primary developers like AVID as well.
http://www.avid.com/US/partners/audio-p ... ev-program
The objective of good design, whether products or services, is to …satisfy customers by meeting their actual or anticipated needs and expectations.

foolomon

Post by foolomon » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:29 pm

Not for nothing, but anyone who is installing Linux on a home PC is probably buying components and building the PC themselves. So the "you get a Windows license but don't use it" argument is hogwash. Linux is hardly the market leader in terms of actively used OS licenses, and I challenge you to provide any sort of statistics to back up that statement since you're claiming that the reams of articles and research that has said over the years how Windows is the leader is wrong.

OSX is built on a varient of Linux, true, but the big difference is in the Window Manager, which differs greatly depending on which flavor of *nix you use. And, let's not kid ourselves: if Steiny supported Linux there would be some geek who hasn't seen daylight in 10 years that wants it supported on Minix or HP-UX or, gawd help us, Ultrix.

Most importantly, the cost of development and support increases for Steinberg so any potential cost savings by avoiding the OS license will be offset by this increase, which you know will be passed to consumers. And, not only that, but you'll also *quiz* off the Windows and OSX users who will feel slighted because they have to foot the bill for the 5 people that want to run Cubase on Linux.

"Just call me Larry."

Lenovo T450 laptop (Windows 7 64-bit + 16GB RAM + 500GB SSD)
AMD-Phenom II based system (Windows 7 64-bit + 8GB DDR3 RAM)
Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 interface

Other hardware: Too much to mention here
Software: Cubase 8.5 Pro; Komplete 9; Melodyne Editor; FabFilter Pro Suite; various VSTs from Blue Cat Audio, Native Instruments (beyond what's in Komplete), Slate, Softube, Sound Toys and Variety of Sound

Stop by and visit!

MrSoundman

Post by MrSoundman » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:20 pm

It never ceases to amaze me the volume of statements that are made about alleged Linux "support problems" without there being any evidence whatsoever -- either way.
Windows 10 • Cubase 9.5.50 • WaveLab 9.5.50 • SpectraLayers 6.0.10 • HALion 6.3.0 • Groove Agent 5.0.10 • Midex

Jarno

Post by Jarno » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:14 pm

foolomon wrote:OSX is built on a varient of Linux, true
Not true. OSX is a Unix variant, Linux is a Unix clone.
foolomon wrote:if Steiny supported Linux there would be some geek who hasn't seen daylight in 10 years that wants it supported on Minix or HP-UX or, gawd help us, Ultrix.
I want Cubase for IRIX! NOW! :P
Cubase 8 Pro/7/4/SX1/VST3.7 | Waves Gold | Melodyne | PC i7-4770/8G/2xSSD/Win7 64 | MacMini | Frontier Tranzport
Tascam DM-4800 | Soundcraft Spirit Studio 16 | dbx231 | Genelec 1032A | KEF C15 | Auratone 5S | Samson S-phone
Yamaha REV500/SPX990 | Alesis Midiverb4 | Roland SDE-330 | Pearl Echo Orbit | Aphex 109 x2 | TL-Audio C5021
Alesis 3630 | AudioLogic MT66 | Joemeek VC1Q | dbx386 | Focusrite VoiceMaster | Line6 PodXt/BassPodXt | Boss GT-3
Roland TD8/TD5/JV2080/SC55 | UseAudio Plugiator | E-mu ProteusXR | Akai S-900/AX73 | M-Audio Keystation
Martin/Taylor/Ortega/ESP/Fender/Line6 guitars/basses | Pearl/Olympic by Premier drumkits | Custom Roland V-drum kit
AKG D112/CK77 | Calrec CM1050C | Earthworks QTC30 | EV RE20/Spherex920 | Neumann M147 | Pearl CR57
Peavey PVM45 | RØDE NT2/NT55 | Sennheiser MD441/MD421/e606 | Shure SM7/SM57/SM58/BETA57/BETA58 ...
... Saeco Odea Giro Espresso machine | BMW Z3 roadster | American Pit Bull Terrier

C.LYDE101

Post by C.LYDE101 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:24 am

MrSoundman wrote:It never ceases to amaze me the volume of statements that are made about alleged Linux "support problems" without there being any evidence whatsoever -- either way.
I believe the issue is more about a new branch of support being required. It's still a OS - so all the usual issues, drivers, displays (GUI) issues, stability under specific use, etc will become a factor sooner or later.

My personnel foray into Linux is not positive - it works..sort of. For most times it was like being in foreign country and all I wanted was a Big Mac with extra cheese, and instead was offered deep sea lobster with lamb chop sides... ;)

MrSoundman

Post by MrSoundman » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:36 pm

C.LYDE101 wrote:I believe the issue is more about a new branch of support being required. It's still a OS - so all the usual issues, drivers, displays (GUI) issues, stability under specific use
These are much the same issues that confronted Steinberg when they decided to support iOS and Android. One of the advantages Linux offers is the potential to provide a complete distribution with the Cubase application pre-installed -- you provide the USB eLicenser and off you go. Imagine a composite USB device that would combine (bootable) storage, audio interface and an eLicenser port, effectively turning any modern computer into a dedicated DAW.
Windows 10 • Cubase 9.5.50 • WaveLab 9.5.50 • SpectraLayers 6.0.10 • HALion 6.3.0 • Groove Agent 5.0.10 • Midex

C.LYDE101

Post by C.LYDE101 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:39 pm

MrSoundman wrote:Imagine a composite USB device that would combine (bootable) storage, audio interface and an eLicenser port, effectively turning any modern computer into a dedicated DAW.

Already done... it's called an iPad :mrgreen:

... now I'd like that to be my Samsung Tablet (8 core + 3 Gb + 64GB FDD)...

.. oh yes eLicenser is not a plus... please... that thing must be dropped, and at least with the Tablet apps there's no requirement or mention :!:

MrSoundman

Post by MrSoundman » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:47 pm

iPAD = dongle :twisted:

C.LYDE101

Post by C.LYDE101 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:19 pm

MrSoundman wrote:iPAD = dongle :twisted:
:lol: :lol:

NorthWood MediaWorks

Post by NorthWood MediaWorks » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:53 am

I would love Cubase on Linux. Bring it on. 8-)
Robin
Visit Northwood Mediaworks!
| Cubase Pro 8.5.20 | Wavelab 8.0.3e | HSO | Padshop Pro | Win10pro 64 | i7 16Gb | UR44 | Angry Wife |
| OSX 10.12.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15 | Loads of Other Stuff |

JohnMcAndrew

Post by JohnMcAndrew » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:03 am

I would just like to see a windows OS that's reliable so i don't have to buy a new mac every three years.
I absolutely hate being tied to that Apple organisation where they are building the new computers less powerful with no upgrade options and charging more money.

If Bill Gates got his act together and made a decent OS that would create more competition for Apple but right now they are winning and getting away with ripping us all off. The Apple contingent will always have an excuse for this obvious forcible upgrading strategy.

This is why i personally would like to see something new like Linux being an option for Cubase. I'd swap over in a second!! I'd love to get rid of all my Apple *flower*!! I'll have to do it in a year or so anyway when they change to "superlightningbolt 5" and change all the connections for all of your monitors and hubs etc so you have to sell those and buy even more Apple gear. Or maybe charge you 50 pounds for an adapter to get your existing stuff to work.

Just saying..........

Woodcrest Studio

Post by Woodcrest Studio » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:08 pm

I don't know what you mean about a reliable windows o.s.

98, XP, and 7 have all been good for me. I did have to do a little tweaking on all of them and the computer is dedicated for AV work.

I do have 2 Mac lappies one for remote recording and one internet and accounting.

I get along with all of them just fine.

NorthWood MediaWorks

Post by NorthWood MediaWorks » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:12 pm

As I have said before, if we can extend to iOS, Android, then Linux should also be included. MacOS is just another variant anyway.
Robin
| Cubase Pro 8.5.20 | Wavelab 8.0.3e | HSO | Padshop Pro | Win10pro 64 | i7 16Gb | UR44 | Angry Wife |

lukasbrooklyn

Post by lukasbrooklyn » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:30 pm

i'd prefer a solid, stable cubase on any of the currently supported systems. following that, make it run on my microwave for all i care.
system// i7 4930k, w7 x64, c7.5.4, (c8)
audio// RME HDSP, SSL duende, audeze lcd-2, klein&hummel o300, adam s2x, lavry DA, avantone mixcubes, EL Fatso ...

http://www.lukasturza.com // http://www.snapmastering.com // music production / mixing / mastering [hybris, upbeats, noisia, rem koolhaas, czech television, havas, ogilvy, ...]

cubendo supercharged workflow ideas/threads of possible interest:
http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtop ... 81&t=63450
http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtop ... 81&t=38182
my supercharged workflow videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ellGhSdmXfk

NorthWood MediaWorks

Post by NorthWood MediaWorks » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:38 pm

lukasbrooklyn wrote:i'd prefer a solid, stable cubase on any of the currently supported systems. following that, make it run on my microwave for all i care.
That would be handy for re-heating the coffee in long sessions 8-)
Robin

swamptone

Post by swamptone » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:52 pm

NorthWood MediaWorks wrote:
lukasbrooklyn wrote:i'd prefer a solid, stable cubase on any of the currently supported systems. following that, make it run on my microwave for all i care.
That would be handy for re-heating the coffee in long sessions 8-)

If you have to "reheat" the coffee, you're drinking too slow! I'm just saying ......... ;)
formerly known as prism

Mr. Beer

Post by Mr. Beer » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:28 pm

Can I get a copy compiled for my IBM AS/400?
Last edited by Mr. Beer on Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My wife said I was delusional, I almost fell off my unicorn laughing.

robw

Post by robw » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:57 pm

NorthWood MediaWorks wrote:I would love Cubase on Linux. Bring it on. 8-)
Oh yeah! I could run it on my HPC system then - 50000 cores, every 12 cores with a Terabyte of SSDs and minimum 64 Gigs of RAM, 10 Petabyte parallel file system.

I'm sure that would handle a few plugins. ;-)
Cubase 10 | Steinberg UR44 | Korg Kronos X
Intel i9 9900K | ASUS Z370 | 64 Gigs RAM | NVIDIA RTX2080
NI Komplete Ultimate Collectors Edition 12 | Steinberg Pad Shop Pro, Halion 6 | Composer Cloud X

NorthWood MediaWorks

Post by NorthWood MediaWorks » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:40 am

I'm sorry Dave, you'll have to wait while I rescan my plugins. :evil:

:mrgreen:

Return to “Steinberg Lounge”