Cubase for Linux

General discussions on songwriting, mixing, music business and other music related topics.
esaporski

Re: Cubase for Linux

Post by esaporski » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:41 pm

So, I just discovered that Cubase is not built on Qt. Is that true? It would be a hell lot easier to port if it was.

edit: I'm talking about the framework, not QT (QuickTime).

MrSoundman

Post by MrSoundman » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:27 pm

esaporski wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:41 pm
So, I just discovered that Cubase is not built on Qt. Is that true? It would be a hell lot easier to port if it was
What matters is that it's already cross-platform. Mac OS is based on Unix, as is Linux. Windows is the odd one out.
Windows 10 • Cubase 10.0.50 • WaveLab 10.0.0 • SpectraLayers 6.0.10 • HALion 6.3.0 • Groove Agent 5.0.10 • Midex

esaporski

Post by esaporski » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:02 am

MrSoundman wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:27 pm
What matters is that it's already cross-platform. Mac OS is based on Unix, as is Linux. Windows is the odd one out.
But all the libs and third-party stuff they might use to build Cubase may not be fully compatible with Linux, even if they work on macOS (that is Unix-based).
I really wish we could have an official response from Steinberg on how difficult it would be to port it to Linux, to have a more realist view of all the process.

MrSoundman

Post by MrSoundman » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:54 pm

esaporski wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:41 pm
I just discovered that Cubase is not built on Qt. Is that true? It would be a hell lot easier to port if it was
Well, Cubase 9.5 has just been released today and guess what? It IS now based on Qt! :D
Windows 10 • Cubase 10.0.50 • WaveLab 10.0.0 • SpectraLayers 6.0.10 • HALion 6.3.0 • Groove Agent 5.0.10 • Midex

ntsarb

Post by ntsarb » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:29 am

I vote +1 for Linux becoming an option for Cubase. As a matter of fact, applications like Cubase currently prevent me from ditching Windows in favour of Linux.

I've recently caught myself searching for how to build a hackintosh with my PC, to run away from the half baked, buggy Windows 10.

DaveFry

Post by DaveFry » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:57 am

Davinci Resolve ( video editor ) has now added a download option of a CentOS distro iso with Resolve preinstalled and nVidia drivers ready to go .
Way forward maybe ?
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Music is it's own reward .

MrSoundman

Post by MrSoundman » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:15 pm

DaveFry wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:57 am
Davinci Resolve ( video editor ) has now added a download option of a CentOS distro iso with Resolve preinstalled and nVidia drivers ready to go. Way forward maybe ?
.... or, as I alluded to in my original post, a bootable USB device that would incorporate audio interface, eLicenser and storage running a customised Linux. Linux support continues in the latest developer's VST SDK 3.6.9 so it looks like some progress is being made.

uvu

Post by uvu » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:07 pm

It'd be so great if Cubase 10 was also released for GNU/Linux · · · 8-)

shanabit

Post by shanabit » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:27 pm

It would be even greater if Cubase dropped PC and Mac support and ran Linux only IMO.
Non-participating in perpetuity. Enjoy your forum

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:29 pm

shanabit wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:27 pm
It would be even greater if Cubase dropped PC and Mac support and ran Linux only IMO.
Yes, of course. I think I heard one of the devs saying they would be doing just that later in the week. ;)
independent manufacturer rep
cubase pro, nuendo, and dorico pro; latest versions
windows pro 10 | i7-3770k | ga-77x-ud5h | 32 Gb | UR-RT2 | k-mix audio interface
hp spectre x360 2018 | 16 Gb

foolomon

Post by foolomon » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:30 am

shanabit wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:27 pm
-steve- can I troll this? Please, PLEASE???

:mrgreen:

"Just call me Larry."

Lenovo T450 laptop (Windows 7 64-bit + 16GB RAM + 500GB SSD)
AMD-Phenom II based system (Windows 7 64-bit + 8GB DDR3 RAM)
Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 interface

Other hardware: Too much to mention here
Software: Cubase 8.5 Pro; Komplete 9; Melodyne Editor; FabFilter Pro Suite; various VSTs from Blue Cat Audio, Native Instruments (beyond what's in Komplete), Slate, Softube, Sound Toys and Variety of Sound

Stop by and visit!

shanabit

Post by shanabit » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:38 pm

Just voicing what everyone REALLY wants. An OS dedicated to DAWS. Wont ever happen though. Carry on and troll yourselves
Non-participating in perpetuity. Enjoy your forum

raino
Grand Senior Member

Post by raino » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:35 pm

shanabit wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:38 pm
everyone
What are you smoking?
rodger

Cubase Pro 10.0.40, Win10 Home, Halion6, BFD3, GPO, Komplete Ultimate 9, Waves Gold, Misc. other

i7 4771 Haswell Processor 3.5GHz, ADK LGA1150, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX970, RME Fireface 400, 2x UAD-2

Oliver.Lucas

Post by Oliver.Lucas » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:33 pm

If Apple continue to abandon the pro market (e.g. by not releasing a new expandable desktop mac and switching to arm based low cpu power computers) I could actually see a potential for Mac based studios to switch over to linux. Imho it's more realistic than Mac users switching to Win. On the other hand it's an expensive move that could only work if the industry would act and port the entire eco system. I don't see AVID taking that route atm and that means there is no EuCon and that means there are virtually no good affordable and well integrated controllers available. So it probably won't happen although it must say with Apple under Cook it would probably be the best thing that could happen to the pro audio world.
Main machine: Fireface UFX+ 64GB, 2TB Hecacore macmini 10.14.x, egpu
Avid ProTools Ulitimate and S3. A gazillion plugings

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:46 pm

raino wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:35 pm
shanabit wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:38 pm
everyone
What are you smoking?
and did you bring enough for everyone?
independent manufacturer rep
cubase pro, nuendo, and dorico pro; latest versions
windows pro 10 | i7-3770k | ga-77x-ud5h | 32 Gb | UR-RT2 | k-mix audio interface
hp spectre x360 2018 | 16 Gb

MattiasNYC
Grand Senior Member

Post by MattiasNYC » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:19 pm

Oliver.Lucas wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:33 pm
If Apple continue to abandon the pro market (e.g. by not releasing a new expandable desktop mac and switching to arm based low cpu power computers) I could actually see a potential for Mac based studios to switch over to linux. Imho it's more realistic than Mac users switching to Win.
I think I disagree. To my mind there are primarily two things that tie people to Apple products; a) brand perception, and b) eco system.

Once the former is gone I would guess the user would still want the latter, which means Microsoft, not Linux.
Nuendo 7.1.4 / Lynx TWO-B / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Ryzen 1700 3.7GHz (oc) / 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200MHz / Nvidia GTX 660 / ASUS x370-A mobo/ 500GB WD Blue system drive / Crucial BX100 250GB SSD media / spinners for library/backup ::::: iZotope RX / Phoenixverb Surround / DaVinci Resolve / Faderport / Applied Acoustics UltraAnalog / my pet pony Frank

Oliver.Lucas

Post by Oliver.Lucas » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:27 am

MattiasNYC wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:19 pm
Oliver.Lucas wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:33 pm
If Apple continue to abandon the pro market (e.g. by not releasing a new expandable desktop mac and switching to arm based low cpu power computers) I could actually see a potential for Mac based studios to switch over to linux. Imho it's more realistic than Mac users switching to Win.
I think I disagree. To my mind there are primarily two things that tie people to Apple products; a) brand perception, and b) eco system.

Once the former is gone I would guess the user would still want the latter, which means Microsoft, not Linux.
Well, then I'm in a different category.
The Mac has been an extemely hassle free system for me. That's all I want. It get's out of the way and let's me get on with what I need to do to make money in the studio.
Recently I have taken about two weeks to try and see what whould happen if I switched over to win 10 and the sad (for me) conclusion was - It's not an option. It just gets in the way too much for me. Pop ups here, information there, virus updates, Windows is solving this, wait while Windows tries that, Cortana is your new friend, it just never stopped...

This is really important for me. I need to be able to focus when working with the computer. This is why I HATE things like the Steinberg hub so much. I'm sitting in front of my workstation and want to open or create a file and I get tons of icons and "interesting" information about some stuff that I could potentially buy.

I have a linux system installed for private use and it's actually the nicest and most unobstrusive os. I really prefer it over mac and pc for standard user stuff, but there are no serious audio post solutions available. So it's a dilemma - my mac gets old, the pc is my personal definition of a nightmare and linux is not supported by the software I need.
Main machine: Fireface UFX+ 64GB, 2TB Hecacore macmini 10.14.x, egpu
Avid ProTools Ulitimate and S3. A gazillion plugings

MattiasNYC
Grand Senior Member

Post by MattiasNYC » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:03 pm

Oliver.Lucas wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:27 am
Well, then I'm in a different category.
I should have written "many" or "most" people rather than just "primarily". I know what I said doesn't apply to everyone.
Oliver.Lucas wrote:
The Mac has been an extemely hassle free system for me. That's all I want. It get's out of the way and let's me get on with what I need to do to make money in the studio.
Sure, I don't think that's unreasonable at all. It's just one of those things where "hassle free" happens to both Windows and Mac users, so it's certainly possible on respective systems.
Oliver.Lucas wrote:
Recently I have taken about two weeks to try and see what whould happen if I switched over to win 10 and the sad (for me) conclusion was - It's not an option. It just gets in the way too much for me. Pop ups here, information there, virus updates, Windows is solving this, wait while Windows tries that, Cortana is your new friend, it just never stopped...
But a lot of the above can be easily adjusted. You can defer both updates and upgrades by a looong time and thus deal with them on your own schedule. It doesn't have to happen when you don't want it. You can also adjust what notifications if any pop up as well as how Cortana behaves. Win 10 is pretty configurable.

But I'll add what I mentioned on Gearslutz as well, that some people use these computers for a dual purpose. They're not only used for DAW work but also administrative work etc. So I need a computer at home that I can use to check everything from mails/texts, news, weather, up/download files etc, in addition to use my DAW. I really like the live tiles for example which will show me a lot of what I just mentioned at the touch of a single key.

I'll also mention again that some of the new UWP apps are really slick and fast. If I want to reference a surround mix that lives on Netflix for example the Netflix app is super-fast to launch and is very slick. It's not perfect, but in terms of having a nice user experience its quite good and far nicer than running things from a browser.
Oliver.Lucas wrote:
I have a linux system installed for private use and it's actually the nicest and most unobstrusive os. I really prefer it over mac and pc for standard user stuff, but there are no serious audio post solutions available. So it's a dilemma - my mac gets old, the pc is my personal definition of a nightmare and linux is not supported by the software I need.
Whenever I've talked to people about Apple's products it's been the ecosystem and 'value' of their products that's been at the forefront of the decisions (as well as the "just works" argument, which applies to Win users as well). My friends have been *witch* about iPhones now for a while but they won't switch even to Android, because they have iBooks or iPads or MacBooks or Mac Pros etc + iTunes etc and so they don't want to change their phone because it'd change everything. And when I speak to Linux users I'm not getting the sense that Linux has an alternative to that. You get an Apple product and you get into their ecosystem. I got a Win phone + Win 10 desktop / laptop and I get into the MS ecosystem. So, how can I get the same integration on Linux with equally little hassle?

That's what I think many users are concerned with...
Nuendo 7.1.4 / Lynx TWO-B / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Ryzen 1700 3.7GHz (oc) / 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200MHz / Nvidia GTX 660 / ASUS x370-A mobo/ 500GB WD Blue system drive / Crucial BX100 250GB SSD media / spinners for library/backup ::::: iZotope RX / Phoenixverb Surround / DaVinci Resolve / Faderport / Applied Acoustics UltraAnalog / my pet pony Frank

MrSoundman

Post by MrSoundman » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:28 pm

Reaper experimental native Linux builds are now available ... even for the Raspberry Pi. Just sayin' ;)

cubace

Linux

Post by cubace » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:00 pm

I think this is my most wanted request. Add support for linux. Waves has it. and a few others. It have to start somewhere. I can probably not jump on that train yet. That what I wish I could. I need steinberg, spectrasonic, Native Instruments and Fabfilter on the train to say good by to my apple machine.

MattiasNYC
Grand Senior Member

Post by MattiasNYC » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:43 pm

Here's an idea:

1. Create a list of all users who really want to jump to Linux.
2. Create a list of all software they really need before jumping over.
3. Create an account for all those users.
4. Put money into that account.
5. Divide that money up between the software manufacturers who make the needed software after they commit to develop after getting money.

right?

peakae
Grand Senior Member

Post by peakae » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:08 pm

Linux would make sense for Nuendo Live with a bootable eLicenser dongle.
Then again, that would be a support nightmare even with those restrictions .
Cubase Pro 10, Wavelab Elements 9, I7 3770K , win10x64, 16Gb Ram, RME Raydat, Steinberg MR816x, Motu 828mkII, Behringer ADA8200, Yamaha moXF6, Steinberg UR242, Yamaha THR 10, Grace Design m900, CMC TP, CMC CH.

JLM

Post by JLM » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:11 pm

I just wanted to show up here as just another guy requesting a Linux-version of Cubase and the VST-Plugins.

Cubase is the last reason to still keep a Windows PC here - everything else i do with multimedia is already running fine on my Linux systems (Debian/Mint) ;)
Using: Cubase, Halion Symphonic Orchestra, HALion, The Grand, Kontakt, Session Strings Pro, Session Horns Pro, BFD, Padshop, ...
VSTs and Cubase for Linux and my Windows is gone.

MrSoundman

Post by MrSoundman » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:15 pm

Maybe "CubaseXuniL" will be this year's big release :D

MrSoundman

Post by MrSoundman » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:27 pm

I notice that REAPER for Linux is now a reality; the first experimental native builds are available. There's even a topic on their forum about how to run Windows VSTs in the Linux version.

Return to “Steinberg Lounge”