Cubase for Linux

General discussions on songwriting, mixing, music business and other music related topics.
foolomon

Re: Cubase for Linux

Post by foolomon » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:16 pm

Mr. Beer wrote:Can is get a copy compiled for my IBM AS/400?
Exactly.

This response wins the Internet.

"Just call me Larry."

Lenovo T450 laptop (Windows 7 64-bit + 16GB RAM + 500GB SSD)
AMD-Phenom II based system (Windows 7 64-bit + 8GB DDR3 RAM)
Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 interface

Other hardware: Too much to mention here
Software: Cubase 8.5 Pro; Komplete 9; Melodyne Editor; FabFilter Pro Suite; various VSTs from Blue Cat Audio, Native Instruments (beyond what's in Komplete), Slate, Softube, Sound Toys and Variety of Sound

Stop by and visit!

raino
Grand Senior Member

Post by raino » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:25 pm

If only I could get Cubase on my Nest thermostat. Now that would rock the house!
rodger

Cubase Pro 10.0.40, Win10 Home, Halion6, BFD3, GPO, Komplete Ultimate 9, Waves Gold, Misc. other

i7 4771 Haswell Processor 3.5GHz, ADK LGA1150, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX970, RME Fireface 400, 2x UAD-2

MrSoundman

Post by MrSoundman » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:32 pm

raino wrote:If only I could get Cubase on my Nest thermostat
My point exactly: Nest is Linux based, so Cubase on Nest = Cubase for Linux!
Windows 10 • Cubase 9.5.50 • WaveLab 9.5.50 • SpectraLayers 6.0.10 • HALion 6.3.0 • Groove Agent 5.0.10 • Midex

Dipmcus

Post by Dipmcus » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:58 am

MrSoundman wrote:1. There is now a competitor in the Linux arena which is taking the XP refugees
Seriously, who in their right mind still cares about Windows XP?
Stuff, lots of it.

MrSoundman

Post by MrSoundman » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:12 pm

Dipmcus wrote:
MrSoundman wrote:1. There is now a competitor in the Linux arena which is taking the XP refugees
Seriously, who in their right mind still cares about Windows XP?
Perhaps you're misunderstanding that point. For people who are still on XP and are looking for an alternative, there are surely many who don't wish to have to go to Windows 7 or 8. If Cubase was available for Linux, it would offer a non-Microsoft alternative on an OS that is secure and maintained, at zero additional cost.

The competitor I was referring to above is Bitwig Studio which is also available on Linux, so clearly somebody believes there's a market there. For someone using Cubase on XP and wishing to move without getting locked into either Apple or Microsoft, Bitwig Studio on Linux is a clear commercial alternative, however they would surely stay on Cubase (and remain Steinberg customers) if there was a version of Cubase for Linux.
Windows 10 • Cubase 9.5.50 • WaveLab 9.5.50 • SpectraLayers 6.0.10 • HALion 6.3.0 • Groove Agent 5.0.10 • Midex

jxm

Post by jxm » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:32 pm

Clearly if someone is still running Cubase on Window XP and is reluctant to upgrade to a current version of Windows or OS X, then they need to re-evaluate their priorities. We are finally in a position where drivers are stable (in most cases) and the OS is cheap or free. Why should we turn back the clock with trying to make this all happen on Linux. Exactly what is wrong with the options we have today (OS X or Windows) ?

FYI - If the Windows Modern interface is to jarring for someone, there is a little key called the "windows key" - when you press it it brings you to the desktop in windows 8+
Cubase 8.5 Pro, UR44, Groove Agent 4, Cubase IC Pro, Cubasis, Artist 7, Cubase Elements 8, NI Komplete 8, Windows 10 Pro Intel 4700K @4.4GHz, IMac Late 2012, Roland QuadCapture, MacBook Pro 15" 2014, Logic Pro X

MrSoundman

Post by MrSoundman » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:52 pm

jxm wrote:Why should we turn back the clock with trying to make this all happen on Linux
The clock wasn't turned back by creating Cubasis on iOS, for example. This is about offering an additional option. Anyone who wants to stay with what they currently have need not feel threatened by the suggestion.

jxm

Post by jxm » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:01 pm

Cubasis was created for a different market. You are comparing Apples to Oranges. I have Cubasis - and it is a nice toy.
Cubase 8.5 Pro, UR44, Groove Agent 4, Cubase IC Pro, Cubasis, Artist 7, Cubase Elements 8, NI Komplete 8, Windows 10 Pro Intel 4700K @4.4GHz, IMac Late 2012, Roland QuadCapture, MacBook Pro 15" 2014, Logic Pro X

MrSoundman

Post by MrSoundman » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:26 pm

Cubase for Linux would be for a different market, namely Linux users. Then we could compare like for like, on OSX, Windows and Linux, much like Bitwig Studio users can. Oh and .... I won't object to you using Cubasis on iOS if you don't object to me using Linux, deal? ;-)

jxm

Post by jxm » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:36 pm

Lets hope that Yamaha continues to keep Cubase rolling along with the low revenues and high development costs in this business. You start spreading your resources too thin, you will likely fail in the long term. I think Cubase is a "work of art" so to speak in this domain and I want their best talent focused on 8.5 - XX.X over the near and long term and not battling the idiosyncrasies of another OS. Especially Linux which is perfectly suited for server side computing but has never taken off on the desktop. Assuming it was implemented on Linux, I wonder how many developers they would need to ensure stability on every flavor of Linux. I think the best you can hope for is Cubasis run on Linux (oops I mean Android).

chi_mike

Post by chi_mike » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:15 am

I haven't read all the replies...but..

Ahh...the ever old Cubase-Linux threads.. :D

They got burned super bad by BeOS and they will NEVER port to ..well... RC Cola when Coke and Pepsi are just fine.
iOS / macOS / tvOS Developer
Presonus Quantum
Presonus Quantum 4848
Akai and Roberts tube preamps / Scully 280 preamps , etc
I used to be dr_funk on the blue forum.
"Code Natively!"

Aziroshin

Post by Aziroshin » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:43 pm

Putting ideological issues aside (companies are run by people with worldviews, too), such as the benefit to society of helping free software platforms thrive and decoupling people from their need for closed source operating systems under centralized, corporate control, there are also practical concerns.

Audio setups are delicate things, and among the most dreadful scenarios is the situation when something "magically" starts working differently, which usually constitutes "not working", because it means things don't go the way you want them to. Maybe even the entire audio workstation stops working altogether. To prevent that, there are people who actually freeze their workstation, rendering the computer in question a mostly monolithic, quite sophisticated instrument or other tool for music production. For those that do it, it is of course advisable to keep those machines off the network and swap equipment with networked computers with sanitization in mind.

This plays into the corner of having control over your machine and what happens to its setup. The Linux ecosystem is known to provide an amount of control and a wealth of options unparalleled in the world of Windows and the Macintosh, which is why it is flourishing in applications that go far beyond from just "servers", ranging from fridges and city information terminals to infrastructure and warships.

A number of people in this thread have stated that they couldn't care less what the underlying operating system was. Whilst some of them might be worried about Steinberg's resources getting spread too thin, the malleability of a Linux environment would make for a system that'd easily hold stable for more than a decade, even across hardware maintenance, enabling the user to run an audio workstation much more dedicated to the task than what Microsoft or Apple are willing to provide in this day and age. It'd also cut down on overall workstation acquisition cost.

This could go as far as Steinberg being able to explore new product lines, from a dedicated Cubase Linux distribution for an out of the box, full blown audio workstation experience (perhaps even a USB dongle based "live" system; just "stick & go") to dedicated hardware driven by their own platform, completely geared towards their customer base and beyond.

Regarding Linux flavour support, no one expects a company to support the entire variety of Linux distributions. Being an extremely healthy, free flowing ecosystem, there are simply too many for any one entity to offer quality support for every single one of them.
Instead, Steinberg could decide to support a distribution that fits their products and customer base the best, and expand to others only if they deem it prudent to do so. A good choice would perhaps be a flavour with stable long term support options.

MrSoundman

Post by MrSoundman » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:44 pm

Welcome to the forum, Aziroshin, and thank you for "getting" the idea of Cubase on Linux!

Cime

Post by Cime » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:42 am

I also have to applaud Aziroshin for that comment!
Let's remember that Linux was initially developed as a derivative to Unix... THE first OS with a GUI - and without that, none of these other OS's would've existed not Amiga, not Windows, not Mac... none!!! The two big brothers (Win and Mac) start with a piece of code called a 'kernel', very much the same as that which all other OS's start off, including Linux. And, as far as the "flavor" (or distro), it really doesn't matter. As long as either 1) the kernel supports the hardware/software - or - 2) there are drivers written compatible to the kernel. For the most part, the Linux kernel is pretty standard across the distro's.
I have contacted Steinberg about this several times and they finally answered me with this: "While this is not in our plans at the moment, it may be something they would consider in the future." Anybody with software experience may already know that the "Android" OS IS, IN FACT, 'Linux' on a mobile device :geek: , yet they ARE developing for Android! THINK!!!
Oh... and, as far as that previous comment about Linux having a lack of market share?! HELLO :idea: , think about it!... it's free!!! You're not going to see shares! And the companies with the 'big shoulders' aren't going to want the consumers to know about 'free' stuff because it takes away from their sales. Which, by the way, we've seen a decline in Win PC purchases with no gain on the Mac side. However, there has been an increase in PAD/Tablet/Phone sails, with the majority of those sales (by unit, not price) going to Android units... so, now, we come full circle - who's got the "market share"?! ;)

CubeDAW

Post by CubeDAW » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:40 pm

Cime wrote:companies with the 'big shoulders' aren't going to want the consumers to know about 'free' stuff because it takes away from their sales.
Which is why Windows 10 is going to be FREE and out this year. I would HATE HATE HATE to use Cubase on an Android pad computer and by the way, I tried the Steinberg Android app and it totally sucks. It is a piece of crap app.

Yes Linux is free but buying a new audio device and midi device is not free. It's VERY expensive. I love my new RME Babyface and my old MOTU midi i/o.

Since so few people use Linux for serious music work, it would be a really stupid business decision to waste time and money on this. Not enough consumer audio devices support it anyway.

When Steinberg releases their first console for the HoloLens, you are going to see a lot of people switching from Apple to Microsoft. If they are smart, Steinberg is working on this now. They are big on skeuomorphism anyway,

mroekalea

Post by mroekalea » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:31 pm

Linux by itself can have a light footprint on resources, but often this means strip down anything you do not need.

Graphics, disk I/O, mathematical calculations run smooth on windows as on Linux. All these operating systems are pretty good these days.

However the support for audio devices, midi devices, dongles, VST, VSTi's, DX, AAX, UA will NOT BE SUPPORTED by the great audio companies! And if they will wait for at least 3 years before enough stable products are available. While I like Linux for server duties like web servers, database servers, I really stay away from it when it comes to advanced tools like DAW and video editing systems.
Menoj

If nothing goes right, go left!

Win10, 3930K@3.2Ghz, 32GB, 2 x DELL u2713hm monitors (5120 x 1440), monitoring: ADAM P22A with SUB8, Audient ID14 & Behringer XR18 & Focusrite safire pro 26IO, Cubase 9.5 pro & artist 8.5, wavelab 9.5 elements, HSO, RND Portico 5033, CC121, Cubase IC pro, Halion 6, GA4, VG2, Arturia Analog Lab, TRacks CS grand + all custom elements, BFD3, Amplitube 3&4 (fender, orange, SVX collections, slash), Z3TA+2, HSO library, many Waves plugs, Plugin Alliance plugins (BX, SPL, Maag & Elysia), NI Komplete 11 Ultimate, AIR instrument expansion pack v3, Melodyne Studio v4, Soundtoys 5, Lexicon native PCM reverb bundle, UJAM Virtual Guitarist complete bundle, SoniVox Premium collection, Ezkeys upright & Vintage Fender Jazz basses, Fender Bassman 100, Markbass TTE500 , FMC Neo 2128 cab

MrSoundman

Post by MrSoundman » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:58 pm

mroekalea wrote:However the support for audio devices, midi devices, dongles, VST, VSTi's, DX, AAX, UA will NOT BE SUPPORTED by the great audio companies!
Once again, a sweeping statement for which there is absolutely no supporting evidence. Since the spread of iOS, almost every audio device brought to market is class-compliant, meaning it will work out-of-the-box in Linux as well.

If major companies choose not to support their devices, then there is a much larger open-source support network out there. Personally, I simply don't buy peripherals if the manufacturer is actively blocking the development of open-source drivers under Linux. If others don't care about that, then fine ... none of it presents a reason against offering Cubase for Linux as an option for others.

Regarding the "market share" argument, Microsoft are about to give away their next OS free, so technically it's hard to argue that it will have any market share (market = $$$) .... by that rationale Steinberg should stop development of Cubase for Windows 10 as it will have effectively zero "market share".

CubeDAW

Post by CubeDAW » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:00 pm

Graphical software is about to undergo a revolution. When your virtual high definition monitor is the the size of your entire wall, you won't have to switch windows anymore. The HoloLens is going to change everything.

Jarno

Post by Jarno » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:41 am

Cime wrote:Unix... THE first OS with a GUI
Wow! Didn't know that. As far as I know the first GUI systems for Unix were W and SGI IRIS (both 1983). Before them there were GUIs in Xerox systems (Alto 1973, Star 1981) and even Apple Lisa shipped before first IRIS system (W never really was widely available). What am I missing?
Cubase 8 Pro/7/4/SX1/VST3.7 | Waves Gold | Melodyne | PC i7-4770/8G/2xSSD/Win7 64 | MacMini | Frontier Tranzport
Tascam DM-4800 | Soundcraft Spirit Studio 16 | dbx231 | Genelec 1032A | KEF C15 | Auratone 5S | Samson S-phone
Yamaha REV500/SPX990 | Alesis Midiverb4 | Roland SDE-330 | Pearl Echo Orbit | Aphex 109 x2 | TL-Audio C5021
Alesis 3630 | AudioLogic MT66 | Joemeek VC1Q | dbx386 | Focusrite VoiceMaster | Line6 PodXt/BassPodXt | Boss GT-3
Roland TD8/TD5/JV2080/SC55 | UseAudio Plugiator | E-mu ProteusXR | Akai S-900/AX73 | M-Audio Keystation
Martin/Taylor/Ortega/ESP/Fender/Line6 guitars/basses | Pearl/Olympic by Premier drumkits | Custom Roland V-drum kit
AKG D112/CK77 | Calrec CM1050C | Earthworks QTC30 | EV RE20/Spherex920 | Neumann M147 | Pearl CR57
Peavey PVM45 | RØDE NT2/NT55 | Sennheiser MD441/MD421/e606 | Shure SM7/SM57/SM58/BETA57/BETA58 ...
... Saeco Odea Giro Espresso machine | BMW Z3 roadster | American Pit Bull Terrier

mroekalea

Post by mroekalea » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:46 pm

Well there is more, VAX-VMS had a GUI around 1980.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenVMS
Last edited by mroekalea on Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Menoj

Win10, 3930K@3.2Ghz, 32GB, 2 x DELL u2713hm monitors (5120 x 1440), monitoring: ADAM P22A with SUB8, Audient ID14 & Behringer XR18 & Focusrite safire pro 26IO, Cubase 9.5 pro & artist 8.5, wavelab 9.5 elements, HSO, RND Portico 5033, CC121, Cubase IC pro, Halion 6, GA4, VG2, Arturia Analog Lab, TRacks CS grand + all custom elements, BFD3, Amplitube 3&4 (fender, orange, SVX collections, slash), Z3TA+2, HSO library, many Waves plugs, Plugin Alliance plugins (BX, SPL, Maag & Elysia), NI Komplete 11 Ultimate, AIR instrument expansion pack v3, Melodyne Studio v4, Soundtoys 5, Lexicon native PCM reverb bundle, UJAM Virtual Guitarist complete bundle, SoniVox Premium collection, Ezkeys upright & Vintage Fender Jazz basses, Fender Bassman 100, Markbass TTE500 , FMC Neo 2128 cab

mroekalea

Post by mroekalea » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:51 pm

Once again, a sweeping statement for which there is absolutely no supporting evidence. Since the spread of iOS, almost every audio device brought to market is class-compliant, meaning it will work out-of-the-box in Linux as well.
Not looking for a endless discussion here, but my thoughts where with the whole 32/64 bit and vst debacle, how long did it took for the great audio companies to get this broad available? I wouldn't say it is impossible to get broad support for UNIX OS. But think again how much variants of Lunix there are and how are all the companies going to support this and make some money meanwhile?

Maybe some of us have good faith, but down to earth with me I say: won't happen! :mrgreen:
Menoj

MrSoundman

Post by MrSoundman » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:56 pm

Mid-way through Windows 7, if someone had said the next version of Windows was going to be so bad, they'd fire the boss of Microsoft and give the next version away for free as compensation, many would have considered that crazy talk.

Patanjali

Post by Patanjali » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:28 am

MrSoundman wrote:... at zero additional cost.
A new OS is NOT a zero cost, at least for those whose time means something to them!
Patanjali
Comp: i7-4930K : Asus P9X79-E WS : 32GB : GTX 1050 : SSDx7 : UAD2Q : TCL 49C2US x2.
HW: YRG : uKEY2 : UR44.
SW: Dual boot Win10P : Cubase 8.0.30 Pro 64 : RX4Adv : Ozone6Adv : Goliath/SO/Pianos/Gypsy/SV : Sup.Drum 2

Patanjali

Post by Patanjali » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:33 am

MrSoundman wrote:Regarding the "market share" argument, Microsoft are about to give away their next OS free, so technically it's hard to argue that it will have any market share (market = $$$) .... by that rationale Steinberg should stop development of Cubase for Windows 10 as it will have effectively zero "market share".
I think you are losing touch with the ground here, as your 'facts' are dubious or plain wrong, and your arguments are getting as specious as what you are accusing others of.
Patanjali
Comp: i7-4930K : Asus P9X79-E WS : 32GB : GTX 1050 : SSDx7 : UAD2Q : TCL 49C2US x2.
SW: Dual boot Win10P : Cubase 8.0.30 Pro 64 : RX4Adv : Ozone6Adv : Goliath/SO/Pianos/Gypsy/SV : Sup.Drum 2

Patanjali

Post by Patanjali » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:41 am

Benutzername wrote:The markt share argument is just a statistical thing. If you look at it at a bigger scale then Linux is actually market leader by far on PCs. PC as in Personal Computer = multi purpose computers for personal use. This includes Android devices, Chromebooks and so on compared against Windows , iOS and OSX devices.
Raw numbers of disparate devices is NOT the same as a unified target OS to develop to, especially if requiring near real-time low-latency multi-streaming. Relevant stats required, which is what SB would be wanting well up front.
Patanjali

Return to “Steinberg Lounge”