how to copy license to two USB elicense dongles

General discussions on songwriting, mixing, music business and other music related topics.
roel

Re: how to copy license to two USB elicense dongles

Post by roel » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:46 pm

yeah. Sad isn't it.
That is what becomes of you when you trust humans.
You become fat and tasty, and learn to live in a small cage.
Probably, in the next step of their evolution, they will not have wings anymore. :-)
Cubase 9.x, vienna ensemble pro 5,
Master:laptop Clevo, P771zm, i7 4790S, 16 gig, 2xSSD samsung 840pro/evo, 2x Samsung SSD850 +touch screen
Slave: none, will probably never be replaced because latest processors are powerfull enough
Sound: Motu Ultralite MKIII (usb), Focusrite 18i20, behringer 16 ch mixer
control: Synergy, novation zero SL
vsti: Steinberg, East West, Vienna, Native Instruments, Spectrasonics and a lot of others
hardware: S760, CD3000xl, SY77, studiologic 990, alesis Q88,

roel

Post by roel » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:00 pm

and for those who do not believe the story on the first page:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh-N5rnF-Ww
Master:laptop Clevo, P771zm, i7 4790S, 16 gig, 2xSSD samsung 840pro/evo, 2x Samsung SSD850 +touch screen
Slave: none, will probably never be replaced because latest processors are powerfull enough
vsti: Steinberg, East West, Vienna, Native Instruments, Spectrasonics and a lot of others

swamptone

Post by swamptone » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:20 pm

formerly known as prism

ChrisDuncan

Post by ChrisDuncan » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:20 pm

Flying is easy. Just throw yourself at the ground, and miss.
Control Room: Cubase 10.0.30 | Windows 7 64 bit | 24 gigs memory | Yamaha TF5 | Mackie MCU
Edit Station: Cubase 9.5.41 | Windows 7 64 bit | 24 gigs memory | UR 22 | CMC TP-QC-AI-CH
Keyboard Station: Cubase 10.0.30 | Windows 10 64 bit | 16 gigs memory | UR 22| CMC TP-AI
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth

jaslan
Grand Senior Member

Post by jaslan » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:19 pm

roel wrote: So the same thing with the licenses. Steinberg should trust us, and allow us to copy that license for ourselfs. We are not going to distribute it. :)

So i agree with the OP. It is bad bussiness to put the responsability of preserving the unique license to its customers.
Let us live happy and free and let us copy without restrictions.
Let us gather together and come up for our rights.
And let us not become as the chickens at my parents home in time... extinct.
It will inevitably result in the failure of the company. Sorry, that is just the way of the world today. It is easy to say, "please trust us", when it is not ones own company's future on the line.
Sure, you may not distribute the license but what is to stop someone from buying the first license legitimately (so now they are one of "us loyal goodhearted customers") and then making copies for sale illegally?
In the digital age, copy protection is just a fact, plain and simple. Especially when the product is one of the top in the market. Sure, some DAWs may have simpler or no copy protection but that is simply because the demand for that product is not as great.
My own opinion....
:D
Cubase Pro 10. Core-i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, Windows 10. UR44. M-Audio Axiom Pro 61. Fishman TriplePlay. Komplete 11 Ultimate. Jamstix 4. Absolute VST3. 418 Carrier Landings.
SoundCloud

Mauri

Post by Mauri » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:22 pm

ChrisDuncan wrote:And it's been far too long since I've seen a good, wild chick.
That's because those 'wild chicks' are now 'old chooks' who don't stray too far from the roost... ;) .
Cubase Pro 10 x64 with jBridge | WaveLab Elements 9.5 | i7 5930K @ 4.7GHz (stable) | ASUS X99 Pro | 32GB RAM | | W10 x64 Dual Boot on 2 SSDs plus 3 SSDs for samples and project/audio files | Fractal Design Define R5 case | Noctua NH-D15 | ASUS GeForce GT 730 2GB silent | Vox ToneLab SE | Mackie HR624 MKII | 2 x UAD2 Solo PCIe | RME HDSPe AIO | 2 x 24" LED monitors...

ChrisDuncan

Post by ChrisDuncan » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:28 pm

jaslan wrote: Sure, you may not distribute the license but what is to stop someone from buying the first license legitimately (so now they are one of "us loyal goodhearted customers") and then making copies for sale illegally?
They wouldn't even try to sell the license illegally. They'd simply post it on a torrent site, and then untold thousand of people on the Internet would be saying, "Why should I pay for this when I can get it for free?"

And it only takes one person. Just one. And then it's out there and you can't get it back. Would this really happen? Just ask the record labels.

I'd love to live in a world where I could just trust people. And when Humanity 2.0 rolls around, maybe I'll give that a try.
Last edited by ChrisDuncan on Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Control Room: Cubase 10.0.30 | Windows 7 64 bit | 24 gigs memory | Yamaha TF5 | Mackie MCU
Edit Station: Cubase 9.5.41 | Windows 7 64 bit | 24 gigs memory | UR 22 | CMC TP-QC-AI-CH
Keyboard Station: Cubase 10.0.30 | Windows 10 64 bit | 16 gigs memory | UR 22| CMC TP-AI
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth

ChrisDuncan

Post by ChrisDuncan » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:30 pm

Mauri wrote:
ChrisDuncan wrote:And it's been far too long since I've seen a good, wild chick.
That's because those 'wild chicks' are now 'old chooks' who don't stray too far from the roost... ;) .
Or they work at the Clermont Lounge in Atlanta. :shock:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth

ChrisDuncan

Post by ChrisDuncan » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:42 pm

Here's a true story.

I meet a guy at a gathering who works for a friend of mine. My friend had told this guy about my books. When we meet, the guy says, "Yeah, I just downloaded a copy of Career Programmer from a torrent site, I'm really enjoying it. I guess I owe you some money, huh?" Then he laughs like it doesn't mean a thing.

It's not like I make that much money per book, but to walk up to someone who creates intellectual property - you know, like a song - and say to their face, "Hey, I just stole a copy of your work, really enjoying it" just astounds me. Not so much because of the scope of the crime (it's not like I'm a NY Times bestselling author) but the fact that he didn't think there was anything wrong with what he did, or he wouldn't have looked me straight in the eye and told me about it.

People simply feel entitled to take what they want without paying, and will jump through all sorts of logical hoops to justify their actions. Mainly so they don't have to confront any internal moral dilemmas.

Sadly, this guy is why software has copy protection.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth

roel

Post by roel » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:50 pm

i understand the arguments.
And as such i can live with a dongle, more even since the policy has changed in to a one time replacement if lost.
But the dongle + unique license is still not practicle.

i can say that i am considering what you said in the first post. Get AI. That is in fact a very nice idea. 48 audio tracks is more then enough for a complete gig. (backtracks) 16 supporting instruments tracks is a bit of a bummer though. But maybe with VEP instances i can occupy the 48 midi-tracks, and that sould be sufficient. But i'm still in the "how to" fase, because this means a complete rework of the templates. And with VEP i'm also on the dongle again. :lol:

kind regards,
R.

roel

Post by roel » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:54 pm

Maybe a good idea should be a "player" version of cubase. One that does not allow to record or edit anything, but that can play back everything that has been made in cubase without any need to modify things, and without the need of a dongle.

kind regards,
R

ChrisDuncan

Post by ChrisDuncan » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:56 pm

Of course, one workaround to a limitation of plugins (if I follow what you're saying correctly) is to get a bunch where you want them, render each track, and then you can reuse the plugins for another batch of instruments.

In fact, I render all tracks and use the audio files for the live performance projects to minimize the load.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth

ChrisDuncan

Post by ChrisDuncan » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:59 pm

roel wrote:Maybe a good idea should be a "player" version of cubase. One that does not allow to record or edit anything, but that can play back everything that has been made in cubase without any need to modify things, and without the need of a dongle.

kind regards,
R
I don't know if you can get any of the Elements / AI / etc. versions of Cubase without purchasing them and / or the hardware, but essentially that's what I use them for. The fact that you can also record, etc. is just a bonus.

I'm a big fan of the art of the possible. While it's always good to suggest enhancement requests to developers, it's best to assume they'll never be implemented and figure out how to make it all happen with what you have to work with.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth

Woodcrest Studio

Post by Woodcrest Studio » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:02 pm

Cuplayyah

swamptone

Post by swamptone » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:08 pm

ChrisDuncan wrote:Here's a true story.

I meet a guy at a gathering who works for a friend of mine. My friend had told this guy about my books. When we meet, the guy says, "Yeah, I just downloaded a copy of Career Programmer from a torrent site, I'm really enjoying it. I guess I owe you some money, huh?" Then he laughs like it doesn't mean a thing.

It's not like I make that much money per book, but to walk up to someone who creates intellectual property - you know, like a song - and say to their face, "Hey, I just stole a copy of your work, really enjoying it" just astounds me. Not so much because of the scope of the crime (it's not like I'm a NY Times bestselling author) but the fact that he didn't think there was anything wrong with what he did, or he wouldn't have looked me straight in the eye and told me about it.

People simply feel entitled to take what they want without paying, and will jump through all sorts of logical hoops to justify their actions. Mainly so they don't have to confront any internal moral dilemmas.

Sadly, this guy is why software has copy protection.

People like that make me sick. :x
formerly known as prism

SYNC

Post by SYNC » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:35 pm

I'm not an author, nor a pro musician, I don't even gig anymore... But as a trades person we also get taken advantage of by being enticed for 'possible' work, make us come out to your home, costing us gas, wear & tear on the vehicle, time, money...when they 'really' just want to pick your brain for what possibly needs to be done, so they can get FREE advice to either do it themselves, or have their brother/friend/father do it from your years of knowledge ...knowing very well they're wasting your precious time, money & resources. Some EVEN want you to provide an 'exact' material list for them! :roll:

It's because of THOSE types that I now generally do not bother to give 'Estimates'...hell, if someone calls and leave a message that they want me to give an 'estimate', often I won't even call them back. There are people with money IN HAND waiting to get something fixed. I've directly lost a LOT of money from these situations that a one man operation can't sustain too many losses. 've even passed on a PAYING jobs because I promised a time waster (basically a thief) that I would be there to give an estimate.

Now IMO, in my own above situation I think it's even WORSE than a situation of intellectual property (not that it's good either), because it's 'directly' costing me, not just what it could 'potentially' take away from me. I'm more than willing to give someone my time with FREE phone advice, and even walk them through fixing something themselves, thus, cutting myself or another trades person a job! I don't even care about potential prospective work that doesn't pan out,I have PLENTY of losses in my business. If someone wanted to but when I spend $50 in gas, 2 hours travel back & forth, and hour or so looking at a job, that's a direct hit, especially factoring a paying job I've passed on.

Now, if download one of my songs that I wrote to listen to for their own enjoyment, as long as they're not trying to make a 'profit' from my works, I wouldn't feel put out at all, but more flattered..just me. I've even heard big music stars say this. Now, Prince? Formally known as a JACKA$$, well he prolly needs the money :lol:

ChrisDuncan

Post by ChrisDuncan » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:31 pm

If you were charging for your songs I wouldn't download them unless I paid. It's a matter of honor. On the other hand, if you share them for free, hell yeah, why not?

As for trade work, I'm astounded that people behave in this manner. Don't they know that's what You Tube is for? :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth

SYNC

Post by SYNC » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:57 am

ChrisDuncan wrote:If you were charging for your songs I wouldn't download them unless I paid. It's a matter of honor. On the other hand, if you share them for free, hell yeah, why not?

As for trade work, I'm astounded that people behave in this manner. Don't they know that's what You Tube is for? :)
"A matter of honor" ... simple but brilliant :idea:

It seems that the world has gone completely mad, and you'd think we'd have world peace in this day and age, and not ISIS beheading children & news reporters! This makes the notion of people taking advantage of others in such a petty way seem unimportant. I just saw a brotha' on the news, whole stole $100 from a young man with down syndrome :roll:

phabert

Post by phabert » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:21 am

You all seem to know a lot about this topic. I bought a new computer and want to stop using Cubase on Computer #1, but can't seem to generate a new soft elicenser???

Grim
Grand Senior Member

Post by Grim » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:35 pm

phabert wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:21 am
You all seem to know a lot about this topic. I bought a new computer and want to stop using Cubase on Computer #1, but can't seem to generate a new soft elicenser???
Have you followed the instructions to re-activate?

https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/so ... ation.html

Other than that you need to give some more info. "I can't do it" tells us nothing useful!
i7 5820k @3.7Ghz, 16Gb, W10Pro, Cubase 9.0x, Cubase 8.5.x, Audient iD22, Zoom UAC-2, Wavelab Elements 9.x, Nektar Impact GX61

bobsabin

Post by bobsabin » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:54 pm

[warez promotion and trolling removed]

blueprintstudios

Post by blueprintstudios » Tue May 14, 2019 10:54 am

Hello all, I'm new to this forum anyway, hope the forum is still alive since this thread is pretty old. I am going to purchase Cubase 10 Pro since there's a sale right now. A friend passed me his old "2nd generation" (I believe it's 4th generation) USB e-licenser dongle , it's got the serial number sticker inside it.
https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... ongle-key-

but reading a little more shows that using the earlier dongles GUI may become "laggy" so I think it's best I buy the 4th generation because it's not worth the risk/experimentation. but what I was wondering similar to this thread, is that, should the 4th gen have any hardware issues or I lose it, would I be able to immediately transfer the license to the 2nd generation old steinberg key for literally ZERO downtime (I was trying to try out cubase elements trial and the license servers were down for a few hours!), then get my immediate work done (at least something to answer to the client) , then after that apply for replacement yada yada yada. then when I receive the 4th gen again, I transfer the license from 2nd gen to the new. Does it work that way?

please tell me if the replacement is free? or is it only for first time too.

Also I'd like to know is it safe for me to purchase cubase 10 pro and start using on 2nd gen dongle first , if it does lag, then I go ahead and purchase the 4th gen??

thank you all for reading!

awesome tip on the mini USB extension cable by the way!

Prock
Grand Senior Member

Post by Prock » Fri May 17, 2019 1:45 pm

1st post... WELCOME! ;)

Yes...
You can use the old dongle for the license, then if you happen to have issues move the license to a new dongle (or vice-versa). For Zero Downtime to work you need to already have that 2nd spare dongle. It could be the old one or the new.

Regards 8-)
PRock Studio

DAW: Cubase Pro 10.0.40, OS: Win 10 Pro x64, CPU: Intel Core i7 4700K @ 4.0GHz, RAM: 32GB/DDR4/2800MHz, Graphics: 4GB GeForce GTX 960, Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon, AI: PreSonus Studio 192 Mobile, Mic Preamp: PreSonus TubePre, Headphone Amp: PreSonus HP4, Studio Monitors: Mackie MR5, 3rd Party VSTs: GSi VB3-II, SampleTank 3, Amplitube 4, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, EZDrummer 2

https://soundcloud.com/prockstudio

blueprintstudios

Post by blueprintstudios » Sat May 18, 2019 8:13 pm

Prock : thank you so much for the assurance! I'll be getting it soon!

matjones

Post by matjones » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:21 pm

Out of interest.... is there any benefit in changing a 2nd gen e-licenser to a 4th, other than it being a bit stronger?
Cubase 10.0.20 Asus P9X79 LE, i7 4820K@ 3.7GHz, 32GB Corsair 1600 RAM, Asus R5 230, RME Multiface II PCIe, SSL Alpha Channel, UAD2 Solo/Quad, UA6176, Pod X3 Pro, Slate VCC/VTM/Trigger etc, SoundToys 5, Waves 10, HALion 6, The Grand 3, BFD3 (+ Expansions), WL9.5, Melodyne Studio 4, Arturia VC7, Relab LX480, iZotope MPS, Eventide XI, Various toys, Telefunken, Neumann, AKG,Sontronics, Shure Mics, Adam A7X and Avantone monitors, AKG K702, ATH-M70x, Nektar P6, Warwick, Spector Basses, Gibson Les Paul Studio & loads of other junk.

Minds are like parachutes, they work best when they're open.

Return to “Steinberg Lounge”