Is Cubase Popularity Dropping?

In my case, I started music production in 2006. Back then, Cubase and Nuendo were the two best known and most widely tools. There was Pro Tools and Logic but the latter was Mac-only (back when Mac wasn’t as ubiquitous as they are today). Pro Tools had this image of being a “serious” tool which kept amateur musicians like me away.

There was also FL Studio (then called Fruity Loops) which was seen as something kids would use.

So I stuck to Cubase.

Nothing much came of my music production experiments back then. I entered college and got too busy with schoolwork to focus on music. Whatever I did learn about Cubase was lost.

I got back into music about two years ago. And I was surprised to find that the most popular DAW, and certainly the one with the most tutorials, was Ableton.

So I picked up Ableton this time around. But I kept a copy of Cubase too because I still had some familiarity with it

Now my production process involves creation mostly in Ableton, but for finishing, mixing, mastering and vocals, I turn to Cubase.

I reckon I’m not the only one with this story