SEVERE CPU OVERLOAD ALL OF A SUDDEN

Discuss all Sequel related topics.
Duke Townsend

SEVERE CPU OVERLOAD ALL OF A SUDDEN

Post by Duke Townsend » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:29 am

Hi,
I've been using Sequel 3 for 6 months successfully. In the last few days, the simplest project with anything over 3 tracks causes severe CPU overload on playback......up to 100 percent CPU usage and of course stuttering, crackling.......no good playback at all now.... though I've been able to complete complex tunes before.
Any ideas? I've tried all the obvious like clearing up to 28G on hard drive, disabling more devices. All used to help if I had a small playback problem before but this one has stopped me dead in my tracks so to speak......and nothing seems to change or improve it.....except raising ASIO buffer size does improve it somewhat.
And dare I mention I am using unsupported Windows Vista 7 personal edition though it was working before. I think something got installed or changed that is inhibiting playback. Playback thru itunes works.

System was not extensive but used to work :
Inspiron 1720 laptop with DUO CPU T5450 @1.66 gig
M-audio Fasttrack USB
NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT
ASIO4ALL V2
IDE hard drive

Is it worth installing Sequel 3 again or getting a new audio interface (any suggestions on one)?

Or should I get a new PC with Windows 7......(any suggestions on one)

Any ideas I would appreciate if you have ideas or have had this problem in general?

Thank you for your assistance as this has stopped the show,
Duke Townsend of The Cardboard Palace
http://thecardboardpalace.bandcamp.com/ ... he-wilde-2

leo tolstoy

Re: SEVERE CPU OVERLOAD ALL OF A SUDDEN

Post by leo tolstoy » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:59 am

Hi Duke

Im surprsied you are able to run anymore than 3 tracks using S3 with that spec.

How much Ram are you you using?

Im running it on a 'old' Vista laptop with 2Gb of ram which can mange about 5 tracks

I also run it on another machine with windows7 and 6Gb ram and it runs much better.

I use a presonus audiobox which really helps.

Paul

Duke Townsend

Post by Duke Townsend » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:18 pm

Hi Paul,

Thx for the response and suggestions.

Yeah, 2GB, I'm surprised also but I'm fairly technical but have done many complex
tunes all the way to itunes...etc...

But this one has me stumped as CPU spikes to 100 and nothing I do helps.
May try your audio interface and re-installing sequel 3.

Also shopping for a windows 7 8GB I7 new PC..
...any suggestions for a new PC & specs and audio interface
so I can run Sequel 3 again?

And have to find how to re-download Sequel 3 from Steinberg as my links have expired.

Thx for any additional info,
Duke

leo tolstoy

Post by leo tolstoy » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:56 pm

I always opt for Toshiba laptops - i know off the shelf cheap laptops are frowned upon by some DAW users but I got a cheap Toshiba i3 with for £300 and upped the RAM to 6GB for £30 it can run anything no problem. My other Laptop which i run S2 on is a Toshiba with 2GB with its been running fine for 3 years.

I will have a lsiten to your music later.

All the best

Paul

Duke Townsend

Post by Duke Townsend » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:16 am

Thx for the replies, Paul. Which model of presonus audiobox do you use? I didn't have any probs til I updated to sequel 3 btw, but it does offer some new features. Thx, Duke

JHP

Post by JHP » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:27 am

Duke Townsend wrote:Hi,
I've been using Sequel 3 for 6 months successfully. In the last few days, the simplest project with anything over 3 tracks causes severe CPU overload on playback......up to 100 percent CPU usage and of course stuttering, crackling.......no good playback at all now.... though I've been able to complete complex tunes before.
Any ideas? I've tried all the obvious like clearing up to 28G on hard drive, disabling more devices. All used to help if I had a small playback problem before but this one has stopped me dead in my tracks so to speak......and nothing seems to change or improve it.....except raising ASIO buffer size does improve it somewhat.
And dare I mention I am using unsupported Windows Vista 7 personal edition though it was working before. I think something got installed or changed that is inhibiting playback. Playback thru itunes works.

System was not extensive but used to work :
Inspiron 1720 laptop with DUO CPU T5450 @1.66 gig
M-audio Fasttrack USB
NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT
ASIO4ALL V2
IDE hard drive

Is it worth installing Sequel 3 again or getting a new audio interface (any suggestions on one)?

Or should I get a new PC with Windows 7......(any suggestions on one)

Any ideas I would appreciate if you have ideas or have had this problem in general?

Thank you for your assistance as this has stopped the show,
Duke Townsend of The Cardboard Palace
Hi,
You should go through the Knowledge Base Article:

https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/kn ... -for-daws/

Here it is:

Optimizing Windows for DAWs

1. Please examine your system and make sure that all device drivers of the system are up to date. This involves the drivers of the audio hardware as well as the chipset drivers and the display card drivers. Also Windows XP/Vista/7 should be up to date (Service Packs and updates/hot fixes). You should avoid using dedicated mouse and keyboard drivers, instead use the drivers provided by Windows!

2. Systems with shared memory display setups are not advisable. They often can be found on mobile systems (laptops).

3. In the Control Panel -> System -> Advanced system settings -> Performance Settings, you can find the option "Adjust for best performance". This option should be checked.

4. Audio interface related settings:

Onboard sound cards: If your mainboards provides an onboard sound card it should be configured to be the standard playback device in the Windows Sound and Audio Settings. Thus, the Windows system sound will be played back by the onboard device without affecting the audio signal of your audio interface or soundcard. However, if playback issues occur it can also be advisable to deactivate the onboard device in the BIOS of your system. Onboard soundcards cannot be recommended for the usage with our products since they do not allow working with low latencies due to missing ASIO drivers. Furthermore, some onboard sound chips are equipped with substandard AD/DA converters and only offer low signal quality (high noise level, non-linear frequency response, bad electrostatic shield).
Latency/Buffer Setting: If you experience audio drop-outs or crackles take a look at the "ASIO" part of the VST Performance Window (Devices menu). It indicates how much resources are left to calculate the audio data and forward it to the audio driver in time. If the latency is very low (which is corresponding to a very small buffer size) time might be too short for proper signal processing. Depending on the system, the audio interface and the running project, it might make sense to increase the latency/buffer setting. Please refer to the manual of the corresponding audio interface for details. Updating the audio driver might also improve the overall system performance and allow using latencies which weren't usable before. Generally, internal audio cards using the PCI or PCIe bus are able to provide lower latencies than external USB or Firewire based audio interfaces.

5. Any energy saving option should be deactivated or set to "none". The system should be configured for continued operations. If this is not done, hard disks will throttle in speed or toggle off after a while and some processors will down clock and slow down. Because of this, our products could stop functioning correctly. For current Cubase and Nuendo releases, please see #10 which covers this part.

6. Programs that are running in background can cause issues while working with our products or even already during installation. These programs are mostly configured to automatically start when Windows boots up, e.g. virus scanners, security software, firewalls, printer and media software. It is advisable to deactivate these programs and slim out your auto start. You can mostly configure this through the settings of the program itself or you must manually deactivate them through typing "msconfig" (without the "") via Start -> Run. A freeware tool that could help you organizing your autostart would be the CCleaner which offers the settings in Tools -> Startup

7. Disable Hyper-Threading if your CPU supports it (e.g. Intel i7). Further information on how to disable it can be found in the mainboard or computer documentation.

8. Disable advanced power-saving and dynamic performance options for your CPU. This usually needs to be done in the BIOS of your computer and includes Enhanced Intel SpeedStep (EIST), AMD Cool 'n' Quiet, Intel Turbo Boost, and AMD Turbo CORE.

9. Disable C-States in the BIOS, if your computer's BIOS gives you this option. C-States allow your CPU to sleep when idle, which may interfere with real-time applications such as audio. This option is often called "Disable CPU Idle State for Power Saving" in the BIOS.

10. "Disable CPU Energy Saving". In Cubase 5.5 and Nuendo 5 (or later) you can find this option in the main menu under Devices -> Device Setup... -> VST Audio System. This option is disabled by default. By enabling it, the currently active power scheme settings of Windows will be duplicated, settings which are relevant to improve the system performance will be modified in this copied power scheme and will be used as long as the application is running. Quitting the application reverts back to the last used power scheme in Windows.

11. Using the DPC latency checker: This free tool of the company Thesycon analyses your DAW and checks for issues that interrupt audio streaming. Please refer to the manufacturer's website for further information on how to use it.

12. Processor scheduling (Windows XP only): It might make sense to set the processor scheduling to "Background services":

Go to Windows Start menu, select "Control Panels"
Start "System"
Select the tab "Advanced"
Click on "Settings" in the section "Performance"
In the window "Performance Options" select the tab "Advanced"
There you find the "Processor scheduling" options, set it to "Background services"

Greetings,
JHP
Jan Peters, QA
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany
Check out Steinberg on YouTube, Twitter and Facebook!

Duke Townsend

Post by Duke Townsend » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:23 am

Thx much for that info, JHP. I solved all my problems for now with a new I7 8GB PC but those tips may be useful if I run into probs.
Do you or anyone know which folder the content libraries are such as the bonus loops, content sets, vst sound instrument sets are? Can I just copy that lib to the new PC as I don't have the download links or downloads saved?

Thx for any info, Duke of The Cardboard Palace

http://thecardboardpalace.bandcamp.com/track/shun-sign

JHP

Post by JHP » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:01 am

Duke Townsend wrote:Thx much for that info, JHP. I solved all my problems for now with a new I7 8GB PC but those tips may be useful if I run into probs.
Do you or anyone know which folder the content libraries are such as the bonus loops, content sets, vst sound instrument sets are? Can I just copy that lib to the new PC as I don't have the download links or downloads saved?

Thx for any info, Duke of The Cardboard Palace

http://thecardboardpalace.bandcamp.com/track/shun-sign
You can contact asknet so they extend your download links. You must search for your order confirmation that will provide you with your login data to your asknet account. Your download limit has been extended to the 08.08.2012.

Greetings,
JHP
Jan Peters, QA
Hamburg, Germany

leo tolstoy

Post by leo tolstoy » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:08 pm

duke i pm'd you about the audiobox

cheers

paul

Duke Townsend

Post by Duke Townsend » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:02 pm

Thanks Paul and JHP for the assistance.
Sequel 3 runs great on a fast I7 8GB machine I'm finding and I'm all ported over now.
Thx again for the help!
-Duke

Duke Townsend

Post by Duke Townsend » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:47 am

Hi again,

This intel superspeed tip actually helped as I turned that off.

Now I have this bizarre thing where some project audio sounds or loops aren't found after I've ported everything to a new machine. Anyone familiar with this.........the sound or audio file does not play in some cases though it shows up in the project like it should. But the same sound will play in the media bay but if I move it to the existing track, it won't play. It will play on a new track.

And when I load the project I get:
Some Audio Files used in this project cannot be located. Please check the library path.

Some audio files I've recorded are missing on the new machine?

So I am wondering if I've copied the right project folders from the old machine to the new one?
Or is there an order that things have to be ported over to a new machine.
Or if this is some other issue someone has run across in porting from an old machine to a new one.

Other than that, the new machine works well with Sequel 3 and made all the difference.

Thx for any info, I'm almost there but like the Maroon 5 song, "It Makes Me Wonder"
-Duke T

JHP

Post by JHP » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:29 pm

Duke Townsend wrote:Hi again,

This intel superspeed tip actually helped as I turned that off.

Now I have this bizarre thing where some project audio sounds or loops aren't found after I've ported everything to a new machine. Anyone familiar with this.........the sound or audio file does not play in some cases though it shows up in the project like it should. But the same sound will play in the media bay but if I move it to the existing track, it won't play. It will play on a new track.

And when I load the project I get:
Some Audio Files used in this project cannot be located. Please check the library path.

Some audio files I've recorded are missing on the new machine?

So I am wondering if I've copied the right project folders from the old machine to the new one?
Or is there an order that things have to be ported over to a new machine.
Or if this is some other issue someone has run across in porting from an old machine to a new one.

Other than that, the new machine works well with Sequel 3 and made all the difference.

Thx for any info, I'm almost there but like the Maroon 5 song, "It Makes Me Wonder"
-Duke T
Hi, :)
In Sequel 3 there is the pack and unpack command to transfere projects from one system to another:

On System A:
1. Project
2. Manage Projects
3. Select the project
4. Pack

On System B:

1. Project
2. Manage Projects
3. Select the pack
4. Unpack

Greetings, :)
JHP
Jan Peters, QA
Hamburg, Germany

Duke Townsend

Post by Duke Townsend » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:32 pm

Thanks JHP. That worked!
Now I've run into another issue that I wonder if you've seen before:

My M-Audio Keystation 61ES plays in Sequel 3, but after I record it, there's no playback of the recorded piece.

I've installed the latest Windows 7 64-bit driver.

Thanks for all your assistance!

-Duke

JHP

Post by JHP » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:48 am

Duke Townsend wrote:Thanks JHP. That worked!
Now I've run into another issue that I wonder if you've seen before:

My M-Audio Keystation 61ES plays in Sequel 3, but after I record it, there's no playback of the recorded piece.

I've installed the latest Windows 7 64-bit driver.

Thanks for all your assistance!

-Duke
Hi,
The recorded data needs to be recorded on an Instrument Track that has a sound loaded.

Greetings,
JHP
Jan Peters, QA
Hamburg, Germany

Duke Townsend

Post by Duke Townsend » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:17 am

Thanks JHP.

This is bizarre but any instrument I select will show musical instrument input activity and the levels show it's being sent and I hear it as I play and record on the track.........but when I record, nothing is actually recorded.

Using an M-Audio Keystation 61ES with Sequel 3 as I've always done but on a new windows 7 64-bit I7 PC?

Is this an M-Audio issue or Sequel issue?

Thanks for you continued assistance.

-Duke

JHP

Post by JHP » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:03 am

Duke Townsend wrote:Thanks JHP.

This is bizarre but any instrument I select will show musical instrument input activity and the levels show it's being sent and I hear it as I play and record on the track.........but when I record, nothing is actually recorded.

Using an M-Audio Keystation 61ES with Sequel 3 as I've always done but on a new windows 7 64-bit I7 PC?

Is this an M-Audio issue or Sequel issue?

Thanks for you continued assistance.

-Duke
Hi Duke Townsend :),
Try the following procedure one more time:
Solving problems with Sequel
This magic bullet is to address several issues with Sequel.
It cannot do any harm and it is always the first thing to do if you experience a problem in Sequel.

You should reset your Sequel by generating a new preferences folder. All preferences will be set back as if Sequel has been freshly installed. The Media Bay Presets will be rescanned.
In order to do so you must rename the following folder:

Mac OS X
/Users/Your Username/Library/Preferences/Sequel 3
You must rename to
/Users/Your Username/Library/Preferences/Sequel 3 inactive

PC Windows 7/(Vista)
OS Disk \User\Your Username\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Sequel 3
You must rename to
OS Disk \User\Your Username\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Sequel 3 inactive

If you cannot follow the path stated above you might have to "show hidden files and folders" in Windows.
!Make sure to setup your ASIO driver in the Sequel setup correctly again after generating the new preferences folder.

You can find the "Program Settings Page" in which you must setup your ASIO driver if you click on the symbol on the menu bar below. The "Program Settings Page" symbol looks like this:

You should avoid using the "Direct X Full Duplex" driver. If you have a dedicated ASIO Device you should choose the respective device driver in the "Program Settings Page". If you are using the internal Soundcard of your System you should choose the "Generic Low Latency" driver. In many cases the ASIO4All driver works even better. You can download the ASIO4ALL driver from http://www.ASIO4ALL.com. Download the driver and install it. After this you will be able to choose it as ASIO device driver in the "Program Settings Page".
---------------------------------
If the problem remains even try to rename the entire Steinberg folder so...

PC Windows 7/(Vista)
OS Disk \User\Your Username\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\
You must rename to
OS Disk \User\Your Username\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg 3 inactive\
---------------------------------
If the problem still remains reinstall Sequel 3.

Greetings,
JHP
Jan Peters, QA
Hamburg, Germany

Duke Townsend

Post by Duke Townsend » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:29 am

Thanks for you help, JHP! These worked:

PC Windows 7/(Vista)
OS Disk \User\Your Username\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Sequel 3
You must rename to
OS Disk \User\Your Username\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Sequel 3 inactive

And using ASIO4ALL driver.

I can now record an instrument using midi controller.

Thx again!
-Duke of The Cardboard Palace
http://thecardboardpalace.bandcamp.com/ ... egurgitate

Return to “Sequel”