Backwards Compatibility

Discuss all Sequel related topics.
Atros

Backwards Compatibility

Post by Atros » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:20 am

I've used Sequel and Sequel 2 for several years, and I've got a lot of old projects I've worked on archived. Recently, I've both built a new computer, and purchased both Cubase and Sequel 3, the latter of which was mostly for backwards compatibility because of issues with Halion SE, as well as the simpler format.

Recently though, I had a windows corruption that forced a reinstall from scratch, with my data still safe. From here, I just installed Sequel 3, put on the 3.0.1 patch, and went to open up some of my old archived projects in an attempt to find something to work on.

From here, the audio wav tracks were all right, but the vast majority of the MIDI tracks were silent, like they were trying to play an instrument that isn't there. When I go to search my instrument library for some of these instuments, they aren't there. Do I have to do something install the original Sequel first, then Sequel 3 in order to make sure these instruments are there
Attachments
Capture.PNG
An Example
(77.29 KiB) Not downloaded yet

JHP

Re: Backwards Compatibility

Post by JHP » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:25 pm

Atros wrote:I've used Sequel and Sequel 2 for several years, and I've got a lot of old projects I've worked on archived. Recently, I've both built a new computer, and purchased both Cubase and Sequel 3, the latter of which was mostly for backwards compatibility because of issues with Halion SE, as well as the simpler format.

Recently though, I had a windows corruption that forced a reinstall from scratch, with my data still safe. From here, I just installed Sequel 3, put on the 3.0.1 patch, and went to open up some of my old archived projects in an attempt to find something to work on.

From here, the audio wav tracks were all right, but the vast majority of the MIDI tracks were silent, like they were trying to play an instrument that isn't there. When I go to search my instrument library for some of these instuments, they aren't there. Do I have to do something install the original Sequel first, then Sequel 3 in order to make sure these instruments are there
Hi, :)
I'm not a 100% sure but it could be that the problem is solved when you reinstall Sequel 2 as well. By the way it is not recommended to switch versions during the productions. So if you start a project in one version you should also finish it there.
:)
Greetings,
JHP
Jan Peters, QA
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany
Check out Steinberg on YouTube, Twitter and Facebook!

Atros

Re: Backwards Compatibility

Post by Atros » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:17 pm

That worked... but that shouldn't be a hoop I have to jump through. The problem for me is I that at times, I tend to use Sequel sort of as an aural sketchpad. I have dozens of projects that aren't more then a couple measures long, that may or may not be fleshed out further later. When I built my new system some months back, I also got the Cubase 6 upgrade to go with it, with the understanding that my old projects would work with it, as well as being able to use features like scoring, as opposed to using the piano roll. When I installed, it turned out that my Sequel 2 License was gone (though not wholely unexpected).

At that point, I COULD open my projects up in Cubase... but I was having the same problem with silent music tracks, getting license notifications regarding Sequel... Which went away when I purchased Sequel 3. At that point, the error messages in Cubase went away, and the projects could be opened up in Sequel.

Return to “Sequel”