Best controller for Cubase to replace mouse and keyboard

Find topics on computers, studios and music-related hardware.
Vital Few

Re: Best controller for Cubase to replace mouse and keyboard

Post by Vital Few » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:31 am

If you are looking for total control on a shoestring, then you might look in direction of Raven Slate.
Cubase Pro 10, Dual Xeon E5-2670, 128 gigs of ram, Samsung EVO 860 1 TB primary, Samsung EVO 960 2 TB secondary, Komplete, Waves, Softube, a bunch of VSTi's, Prism Sound Titan.

MattiasNYC
Grand Senior Member

Re: Best controller for Cubase to replace mouse and keyboard

Post by MattiasNYC » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:51 pm

Everyone looking to get a controller should probably ask themselves a few questions (and then share the answers):

1. Do I want to use this for composing/arranging etc., or for mixing?
2. Do I want to control plugins with this or 'just' the mixer (pan, fader, solo/mute etc.)?
3. Do I want actual tactile feedback or not?
(and maybe more questions like these)

I know many are happy with the Raven, but I'll just point out that there are a few things about it that I find questionable, and the most 'obvious' one in this context is the lack of tactile feedback. I sometimes see users ask about a control surface and give out their own examples which will include controllers from Mackie and Avid, and then the feedback and also maybe what they end up choosing will be something completely different. That's a bit counter-productive I think.

Anyway, I really think the above questions need to be answered by anyone looking for "a controller".
Nuendo 7.1.4 / Lynx TWO-B / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Ryzen 1700 3.7GHz (oc) / 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200MHz / Nvidia GTX 660 / ASUS x370-A mobo/ 500GB WD Blue system drive / Crucial BX100 250GB SSD media / spinners for library/backup ::::: iZotope RX / Phoenixverb Surround / DaVinci Resolve / Faderport / Applied Acoustics UltraAnalog / my pet pony Frank

Return to “Computer/Studio Hardware & Setup”