ASIO Direct Monitoring Grayed Out on Interface that Supports it

Find topics on computers, studios and music-related hardware.
Tones2

ASIO Direct Monitoring Grayed Out on Interface that Supports it

Post by Tones2 » Wed May 16, 2018 11:40 am

I just bought a new audio interface, specifically the Behringer UMC404HD which supposed to support ASIO direct monitoring, but when I choose the ASIO driver for it in Cubase, the direct monitoring button is grayed out. I do have the latest Windows 10 drivers installed directly from the Behringer site. Does anyone have ideas as to why?

Here is a link to the product page of the interface.

http://www.musictri.be/Categories/Behri ... HD/p/P0BK1
Tony

I still want to move frozen VSTi parts, even in the new forum!

-steve-
External Moderator

Re: ASIO Direct Monitoring Grayed Out on Interface that Supports it

Post by -steve- » Wed May 16, 2018 1:06 pm

That device has its own direct monitoring, but it doesn't seem to support ASIO direct monitoring, since the word ASIO is not in its manual. (There is a Monitor button on the front of the device, which comes to the same thing, but the daw will not display a Hardware section in the mixer. )
Attachments
UMC404HD_P0BK1_Front_XL.png
(792.89 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Cubase Pro and Nuendo, and Dorico Pro; latest versions available.
Windows Pro 10 | i7-3770k | GA-77x-UD5h | 32 Gb | UR-RT2 | MOTU Ultralite mk3 hybrid
Macbook Pro 2011 | Mac OS 10.11

Tones2

Post by Tones2 » Thu May 17, 2018 2:06 am

Oh now I get it, I think. I assume what you lose in Direct vs ASIO direct is that you don;t hear effects assigned to the INPUT channel but you can still hear them in a output channel track and when monitoring is turned on for that channel - correct?

In looking around at other interfaces that support ASIO Direct Monitoring, I can't even seem to find one at almost any prices, let alone under $300.
Tony

I still want to move frozen VSTi parts, even in the new forum!

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- » Thu May 17, 2018 2:17 am

Check out the Steinberg UR44, it has built in fx and compression/eq and supports ASIO D.M., which means you get its channel strip integrated into the mix console in the Hardware rack. It's exactly $300 here: https://www.steinberg.net/en/shop/buy_p ... rface.html, you might even find it for less if you shop around. ;)
Cubase Pro and Nuendo, and Dorico Pro; latest versions available.
Windows Pro 10 | i7-3770k | GA-77x-UD5h | 32 Gb | UR-RT2 | MOTU Ultralite mk3 hybrid
Macbook Pro 2011 | Mac OS 10.11

svennilenni

Post by svennilenni » Thu May 17, 2018 10:09 pm

Tones2 wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 2:06 am
Oh now I get it, I think. I assume what you lose in Direct vs ASIO direct is that you don;t hear effects assigned to the INPUT channel but you can still hear them in a output channel track and when monitoring is turned on for that channel - correct?

In looking around at other interfaces that support ASIO Direct Monitoring, I can't even seem to find one at almost any prices, let alone under $300.
What you lose in "direct" vs. "ASIO direct" monitoring is, that the monitoring functions of your hardware are being controlled from within Cubase in ASIO direct monitoring. It´s got nothing to do with hearing (VST) effects from inside Cubase during recording.

Return to “Computer/Studio Hardware & Setup”