Should I wait for new iMac processors before buying?

but cubase beats it for effect count and vi count when asio guard is on…

Also, Logic will only use HALF the available threads for live “armed” tracks at the low buffer… So if you have 4 cores 8 threads, and arm 32 tracks with FX, logic will only use 4 of those 8 threads to live stuff. Cubase will use the lot…

This is also WITH using logic’s new “multithreading for live tracks” option.

Before the update, it stacked all live tracks onto one core… for years… drove people batty.

I’m in 2 minds about it all… I think in a way, leaving half the processing power of the machine always free for playback tracks is probably smart, but if you have some huge 256 input system you’d want the DAW to use all threads when tracks are record armed.

Anyway, because of this “limitation” in Logic, you get almost double the tracks in Cubase when they are record armed, as long as you are not below 128 buffer, and you get around 25% more at 64 buffer (cause cubase is using all cores, but technically at 64 buffer it’s performance would be worse than Logic if it also only used half the cores).

At 32 samples, nothing seems to be able to get close to Logic… I can literally arm 32 tracks at 32 buffer, have 2 heavy aux verbs, and a slate VMR on every monitored track, full rack in each instance of VMR… and Logic handles it without a click or pop. This is impossible on Cubase, Reaper, S1, Pro Tools etc… as far as mac os is concerned anyway.

Cubase really IS much better software… you are right… the audio editor is better, the midi editor is better, vst expression is better, metering is better, interface is better… there is so much that is better… and the chord editor where there is just nothing like it built into a DAW. I love how I can compose my chords and then have a vocal sample follow them… This just can’t be done with such ease on any other DAW… I am always changing pitch of vocal bits manually, and it’s time consuming. Not to mention the ridiculous thing that in 2018 you STILL can’t choose per track midi inputs in Logic…Just silly… And Cubase has none of the awkward bugs with phantom notes and “reverb tails” (the logic buffer problem, you still can’t start songs on bar one and have them bounce down correctly without phantom FX tails).

Logic beats cubase in two regards only… the performance, and the tempo match features… Oh, and the automatic loop slicing which sounds 100x better than stretching drums with elastique.

They all have their pros and cons, but unfortunately, Logic’s cons to me are absolute workflow killers… I just kept thinking they’d fix the issues, for 20 YEARS! and they just never do… which is why i moved after using it since 1997.

:slight_smile: