Control surface for Cubase (buying question)

Find topics on computers, studios and music-related hardware.
skijumptoes

Re: Control surface for Cubase (buying question)

Post by skijumptoes »

If you’re using them as Mackie controllers, then ensure they’re disabled as ‘all’ MIDI inputs in Cubase settings as that will cause problems as you’ve explained.

If left enabled they will record MIDI data into each record enabled track.

Rhino

Post by Rhino »

beatpete wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:44 pm
Also the discontinued Alphatrack (it still works great).
My favorite now is the Avid Artist Mix. I picked an older Euphonix (silver) version for reasonable price and it is the best hardware controller for Cubase at the moment (IMO). It can also scroll to selected track.
oh, so the Alphatrack is still ok ?
that was a good one ...
I have its brother, the Tranzport - can be useful at times, and yes, it still works fine too - amazing for such a vintage gizmo ! 8-) .

good to hear the Euphonix can scroll as well, I have no experience with these.
not a big friend of Avid, but that's not the controllers' fault.
do they use Eucon, and is the Cubase integration mature by now ?
the hardware sure looks nice !
Rhino
When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say.
(George R.R. Martin)

beatpete

Post by beatpete »

Rhino wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:22 pm
beatpete wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:44 pm
Also the discontinued Alphatrack (it still works great).
My favorite now is the Avid Artist Mix. I picked an older Euphonix (silver) version for reasonable price and it is the best hardware controller for Cubase at the moment (IMO). It can also scroll to selected track.
oh, so the Alphatrack is still ok ?
that was a good one ...
I have its brother, the Tranzport - can be useful at times, and yes, it still works fine too - amazing for such a vintage gizmo ! 8-) .

good to hear the Euphonix can scroll as well, I have no experience with these.
not a big friend of Avid, but that's not the controllers' fault.
do they use Eucon, and is the Cubase integration mature by now ?
the hardware sure looks nice !
Rhino
Although Steinberg haven't updated their Eucon protocol for ages, my Artist Mix is still by far the most intuitive and powerful controller I've found for Cubase (i.e. easy access to quick controls). The encoders are touch sensitive which is great for automation (although flip is cool too).
I have a Tranzport too! I use it all the time and it just works.I actually have 2 Alphatracks (one is a spare) but I don't use them since I got the Artist Mix.
Comp1: Windows 10 64 bit, Asus X99-A USB 3.1, I7 5930K (running at 4500 MHz), 32 gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 ram, Radeon HD5450 graphics, RME Digiface, Steinberg UR824 and MR816x (X2)
(connected to Digiface), Cubase 10.5 64bit
Comp 2: Windows 10 64bit, I5 3450,32 gb ram, VEPro 7.

Rhino

Post by Rhino »

beatpete wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:12 pm
Although Steinberg haven't updated their Eucon protocol for ages, my Artist Mix is still by far the most intuitive and powerful controller I've found for Cubase (i.e. easy access to quick controls). The encoders are touch sensitive which is great for automation (although flip is cool too).
I have a Tranzport too! I use it all the time and it just works.I actually have 2 Alphatracks (one is a spare) but I don't use them since I got the Artist Mix.
thanks, appreciate the info ! :D
Rhino
When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say.
(George R.R. Martin)

Tomess

Post by Tomess »

You might also take a look into TouchOSC if you own an ipad.

https://youtu.be/W6gAz2YOBdU
PC: Intel Core 2 Quad Q 9400 2,6 GHz, 8 GB DDR 2 Ram, Asus P5Q, NVIDIA GeForce 750 GTX
Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit
Software: Cubase Pro 8.5.2 32 Bit, Cubase Pro 9.0.3 64 Bit, Maschine 2.6.8, FL Studio 12.5, Fabfilter, TDR, NI Komplete 11
Hardware: 2x Motu 24 I/O, 2x Euphonix MC Mix, M-Audio Axiom 61, Akai MPK Mini, NI Maschine MK 2, SPL Iron, SPL PQ, dbx 166 XL, ART Pro Channel, elysia Xpressor,Urei 1176 Clone, Neve 1073 Clone, Sontec MEP-250 Clone, SSL G4000 Clone, Neumann V475 24:2 Summing Amp,
Monitoring: Presonus Monitor Station v2, Eve Audio SC208, Genelec 1030a

beatpete

Post by beatpete »

Tomess wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:41 pm
You might also take a look into TouchOSC if you own an ipad.

https://youtu.be/W6gAz2YOBdU
Yes, I've been using Lemur for years and love it but I'm finding my touch isn't as predictable as it was...
Comp1: Windows 10 64 bit, Asus X99-A USB 3.1, I7 5930K (running at 4500 MHz), 32 gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 ram, Radeon HD5450 graphics, RME Digiface, Steinberg UR824 and MR816x (X2)
(connected to Digiface), Cubase 10.5 64bit
Comp 2: Windows 10 64bit, I5 3450,32 gb ram, VEPro 7.

Rhino

Post by Rhino »

I was very interested in one of those pad controllers.
but then I noticed they would slow me down big time, instead of speeding up my workflow.
I can operate all (well, most) of my physical controls blind, more or less immediate.
flipping through pages, reading "buttons", searching for commands, before finally firing off "mute" doesn't make much sense for me, sorry.
a 27" touch screen with every command in plain sight at all times could be worth a closer look though, dunno.
still, I don't see a real advantage over hardware ...
ymmv,
Rhino
(George R.R. Martin)

MIDIBoss

Post by MIDIBoss »

I have an MCU Pro with 3 extra faderbanks for a total of 32 motorized faders that I run in Mackie Control mode with Cubase 9.5 It ROCKS and it feels like a I have an analog console in my home studio. It's very sensitive and stable, never comes disconnected. Takes a second to figure out how to set them up when you have multiple units in the menus; Even though it's not explained anywhere, they load up backwards, so the 1st unit i on the bottom and as you at more Mackie Controls to the studio setup section, the subsequent units go on top in the menu. Anyway, it does more than I even use it for, I really just use it for volume track faders, panning, transport control, and the occasional aux send leveling. It rules. Makes the mixing process a lot more fun, and also I can usually see my whole mix in front of me which means you don't have to menu dive to bank scroll unless you've got more than 32 tracks. I find that I'm able to dial in levels a lot better by floating them in with the faders than I ever was able to do with just the mouse and keyboard, especially since you can operate more than one fader at a time just like a real board.

Cheers,
MidiBoss

greggybud

Post by greggybud »

Rhino wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:35 am
I was very interested in one of those pad controllers.
but then I noticed they would slow me down big time, instead of speeding up my workflow.
I can operate all (well, most) of my physical controls blind, more or less immediate.
flipping through pages, reading "buttons", searching for commands, before finally firing off "mute" doesn't make much sense for me, sorry.
a 27" touch screen with every command in plain sight at all times could be worth a closer look though, dunno.
still, I don't see a real advantage over hardware ...
ymmv,
Rhino
For some it works...others not. However I get much more speed and efficiency out of my iPad than I do my DAW controller and that is sort of what I was trying to convey to the OP. If you are just going to mix plus the associated functions as a mix engineer, by all means the ticket is a DAW controller. But what naturally happens is most everyone with a DAW wants more than what MCU protocol provides.

With a controller, if I have to search for any button more than 1 second, IMO that is counter-intuitive. Buttons should be configured and organized the way you think and use the DAW.

On my controller I have it configured down to 6 pages. Each page has a customized number of buttons, usually somewhere between 64 and 72 buttons per page. It could be a lot more, but with a smaller iPad, I feel 72 is about the max for myself. I know where every button is located except page 6 that has over a hundred less common PLE and LE commands.

Page 1 is for common functions that pertain with the Cubase Project Page..sort of like the home page.
Page 2 is most all functions pertaining to the drum/key edit windows.
Page 3 is for automation panel & Workspaces window. (I think 9 workspaces can be assigned a KC so that takes up 9 buttons right there.)
Page 4 is for commonly used functions in the 3 mix consoles. Creating channels, activating/deactivating tools etc.
Page 5 is for import export, DOP, and all audio processing.
Page 6 is for deeper midi functions that is connected to page 2 but contains a lot more PLE and Logical editor commands.

With each button, you program it whether or not it should stay on that page, or go to another page once executed. For example, pressing the drum edit button on page 1 the project page, opens the Cubase drum edit window, and takes me to Page 2 where I see all the controller buttons pertaining to functions for the drum edit page.

Or if I'm done working in the Automation & Workspaces page, I press the button Close Workspaces, my workspace configuration closes, and it takes me back to page 1on my controller. Everything is configurable to how you want to work and process stuff. And it's a evolving improving type of thing where I'm always trying to maximize workflow. Basically you configure it to how your brain thinks about Cubase workflow.

When you create any button, in addition to the basic Cubase key command, you need to make several decisions. Some of these decisions include with a button press, whether or not it should stay on that page, or go do another page. Also you can program it to put in a timed delay if necessary, whether or not it should repeat its function when continually holding down the button (good for zoom in/out). And naturally the decision to turn a button into multiple key commands that make up a macro. Some macros need a pause between key commands. Maybe the macro button that just automatically turned on cycle and started playing on page 1 should then always take you back to page 2 for key editing.

So what is still missing here? The ignored windows focus issues...knowing what window is in focus therefore either using the mouse, or ctr+tab and hoping you can cycle through all the Cubase windows until the right one comes in focus.

I still use the QWERTY, but not nearly as much. That Ctr+Alt+% that I memorized years ago is long forgotten and replaced with a nice clear color coded descriptive button.
The latest Cubase version, Wavelab 10, Intel Core i9 7920X @ 2.90GHz Windows 10 64bit, 64 gig all SSD drives (Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050ti, 2 34" LG ultra wides and 1 28" all @2560x1080) iCon QconPro, Metagrid, 4 MidiTimePiece's = 32in/outs, UAD-2, SoundToys, NI, Waves, Arturia, and lots of hardware synthesizers most of them controlled by MidiQuest 11.

skijumptoes

Post by skijumptoes »

Greggybud - that post is related to MetaGrid, right? As good as it may be for key commands etc. As i understand It fails to offer fader support - In my mind that's more of a shortcut tool rather than a real control surface in the traditional sense.

Many just need a control surface in it's purist form with a format ready to go that you're not customising for months and months. Fixed hardware controls, for me, is most important as i use my Mackie without even looking at it a lot of the time, it's just muscle memory. Plus using the jog wheel to spin between sections for listening and muting/soloing on the fly is it's real advantage. Particularly when anyone can sit by it and show you a part of the song easily and their ideas.

greggybud

Post by greggybud »

skijumptoes wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:47 am
that post is related to MetaGrid, right? As good as it may be for key commands etc. As i understand It fails to offer fader support - In my mind that's more of a shortcut tool rather than a real control surface in the traditional sense.
Yes, Metagrid as I was replying to Rhino. I think he was referring to something like Metagrid, but maybe just a controller. And I too would consider it more of a shortcut tool as it certainly does not replace a DAW controller. However a separate but similar app is soon being released with faders with the regular DAW control stuff from the developer.
The latest Cubase version, Wavelab 10, Intel Core i9 7920X @ 2.90GHz Windows 10 64bit, 64 gig all SSD drives (Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050ti, 2 34" LG ultra wides and 1 28" all @2560x1080) iCon QconPro, Metagrid, 4 MidiTimePiece's = 32in/outs, UAD-2, SoundToys, NI, Waves, Arturia, and lots of hardware synthesizers most of them controlled by MidiQuest 11.

AlakaLazlo

Post by AlakaLazlo »

I used to have an MCU and 2 extenders. I had constant fader issues - jittering, buzzing, totally failing. (I swapped out and/or repaired several but then just gave up.) And it never really felt right to me anyway. Too limited and the resolution wasn't always sufficient.

About 2.5 years ago, I dove into the Slate Raven. It is NOT 100% optimal for Cubase, because it isn't set up to control inputs channel and the control room as part of the standard mixer overlay (it can control them in different windows!) but the Batch Commander software that it runs is amazing. Saves me a ton of time by allowing me to build up extremely complex multi-track presets with all the necessary routing (far more than you can do with track presets) and then run with the touch of a button. You can design different templates for different production elements (I have one for tracking audio instruments, another for tracking midi, and several different ones for mixing. It's great being able to edit automation by drawing with your fingertip instead of a mouse.

The learning curve is a bit steep (took me way longer than I thought it would to get comfortable with it) but once you have the "AH HA! moment, its really hard to imagine working without one.
Moog IIP, One, and MiniMoog, Dot.Com 110, Cubase 10.0.5, Ableton Live 9.6/64, W10 Pro/64, i75820/GAX99SLI/16Gigs HyperX 2133, 3xSSD, 2xMR816, MidiExpress128, Novation SL61MKII, and SL41MkII, Slate Raven MTI2, HR824s, NS10Ms, Komplet10, Omnisphere 2.5, RMX, Trilian, MMV, Z3ta+, Axon AX50, Variax (heavily customized) JTV69S (the Hexstainocaster) and 700... Hi, I'm Al, and I'm a gear addict...

skijumptoes

Post by skijumptoes »

I love the look of the Slate Raven screens/consoles - but what are they like for setting precise faders? The issue i always have with touch screens is when you release your finger it jumps the control slightly - do they suffer from that?

Rhino

Post by Rhino »

greggybud wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:35 am
For some it works...others not. However I get much more speed and efficiency out of my iPad than I do my DAW controller and that is sort of what I was trying to convey to the OP. If you are just going to mix plus the associated functions as a mix engineer, by all means the ticket is a DAW controller. But what naturally happens is most everyone with a DAW wants more than what MCU protocol provides.

With a controller, if I have to search for any button more than 1 second, IMO that is counter-intuitive. Buttons should be configured and organized the way you think and use the DAW.

On my controller I have it configured down to 6 pages. Each page has a customized number of buttons, usually somewhere between 64 and 72 buttons per page. It could be a lot more, but with a smaller iPad, I feel 72 is about the max for myself. I know where every button is located except page 6 that has over a hundred less common PLE and LE commands.

Page 1 is for common functions that pertain with the Cubase Project Page..sort of like the home page.
Page 3 is for automation panel & Workspaces window. (I think 9 workspaces can be assigned a KC so that takes up 9 buttons right there.)
Page 4 is for commonly used functions in the 3 mix consoles. Creating channels, activating/deactivating tools etc.
Page 6 is for deeper midi functions that is connected to page 2 but contains a lot more PLE and Logical editor commands.

With each button, you program it whether or not it should stay on that page, or go to another page once executed. For example, pressing the drum edit button on page 1 the project page, opens the Cubase drum edit window, and takes me to Page 2 where I see all the controller buttons pertaining to functions for the drum edit page.

Or if I'm done working in the Automation & Workspaces page, I press the button Close Workspaces, my workspace configuration closes, and it takes me back to page 1on my controller. Everything is configurable to how you want to work and process stuff. And it's a evolving improving type of thing where I'm always trying to maximize workflow. Basically you configure it to how your brain thinks about Cubase workflow.

When you create any button, in addition to the basic Cubase key command, you need to make several decisions. Some of these decisions include with a button press, whether or not it should stay on that page, or go do another page. Also you can program it to put in a timed delay if necessary, whether or not it should repeat its function when continually holding down the button (good for zoom in/out). And naturally the decision to turn a button into multiple key commands that make up a macro. Some macros need a pause between key commands. Maybe the macro button that just automatically turned on cycle and started playing on page 1 should then always take you back to page 2 for key editing.

So what is still missing here? The ignored windows focus issues...knowing what window is in focus therefore either using the mouse, or ctr+tab and hoping you can cycle through all the Cubase windows until the right one comes in focus.

I still use the QWERTY, but not nearly as much. That Ctr+Alt+% that I memorized years ago is long forgotten and replaced with a nice clear color coded descriptive button.
thanks for the clear explanation - makes total sense !
my line of thought is amazingly similar in fact, except I rather rely on physical keys & AHK.
color coded as well, I use visual patterns instead of button text to memorize.
brute force muscle memory ! :lol:
(old pic, meanwhile there's a Console One above the Cherry)
I got rid of most modifiers as well, except on the main keyboard.

yes, that window focus curse - so damn stupid !
cost me countless hours to repair most of the damage with AHK - and as additional benefit I now also have dedicated window focus keys at least (ctr+tab never was acceptable for me) - only a workaround, but way better than stock..
my question still remains - if even we, as lowly users, can come up with all these fixes using 3rd party tools - then why can't Steinberg natively :?:
oh well, :roll:
cheers,
Rhino
(George R.R. Martin)

JohnS

Post by JohnS »

Jorge Ruiz wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:09 pm
chileanbyone wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:44 pm
what do you recommend instead? I am looking for something around $200. Something easy to move the faders. But it could also mean I am ignorant to the fact.
Then a second hand CC121 could be your best option. It's very old but tailor-made for Cubase, reliable and built like a tank. I bought mine a year ago and it has really paid off. In the past I also had a Nektar P4 controller, and my experience was very much similar to that reviewer you quote: a complete nightmare, with lots of crashes and error messages for whatever reason until I got rid of it.

CC121 is the way to go.
I e-mailed Steinburg and they told me that the CC121 will be supported for at least four more years if not more.
As long as the drivers are updated when necessary, i cannot see anything going wrong.
I am getting a new one this week hopefully.
He said also there is nothing else in the pipeline.
Make of it what you will as that came from the horses mouth.
Second hand CC121's are going for about £250
A new one in UK can be purchased for £319.
So ask for a price match.For the extra £50 it is worth getting a new one with a guarantee.
YOu always get what you pay for. Remember that!! :shock:

With the CC121 you can hover a mouse over any synth virtual control knob and it then is controlled by your CC121.
Loads of other stuff as well. This unit looks like a fast workflow assistant to me.
Keep it simple and let the music flow.

all the best
John

JohnS

Post by JohnS »

Rhino wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:10 pm
greggybud wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:35 am

thanks for the clear explanation - makes total sense !
my line of thought is amazingly similar in fact, except I rather rely on physical keys & AHK.
color coded as well, I use visual patterns instead of button text to memorize.
brute force muscle memory ! :lol:
(old pic, meanwhile there's a Console One above the Cherry)
I got rid of most modifiers as well, except on the main keyboard.

yes, that window focus curse - so damn stupid !
cost me countless hours to repair most of the damage with AHK - and as additional benefit I now also have dedicated window focus keys at least (ctr+tab never was acceptable for me) - only a workaround, but way better than stock..
my question still remains - if even we, as lowly users, can come up with all these fixes using 3rd party tools - then why can't Steinberg natively :?:
oh well, :roll:
cheers,
Rhino

Too many cooks in the kitchen, looks like Clapham Junction to me!! :D
looking at that photograph, i think NASA might get interested or SpaceX :P
Making music should not look that difficult

All the best
John

profdraper

Post by profdraper »

Have been using all sorts over the years, now have settled on a Presonus FaderPort 16. Works well in a smaller facility.
MacPro 7,1 16 core, Catalina 10.15.6, 2TB /192GB, Vega II Duo
8TB OWC Thunderbay 6 RAID 4, 2TB Sonnet M.2 4x4 RAID 0
MiniMon 4k, Dell U3419W, BenQ SW2700PT
Apollo x8, UAD-2 quad PCIe, FaderPort 16, KK S61, Push
Nuendo, Wavelab, ProTools, Logic, Live, FCPX, Resolve Studio 16

Rhino

Post by Rhino »

JohnS wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:41 pm
Too many cooks in the kitchen, looks like Clapham Junction to me!! :D
looking at that photograph, i think NASA might get interested or SpaceX :P
Making music should not look that difficult
... if you can't stand the heat ... :lol:
in fact, a well planned controller setup is key to working fast and effortless.
mice were invented to amuse and feed cats, they are no good for much else, and certainly not for a studio !
granted, I occasionally use one for selection and curve drawing, but that's about it.
ymmv,
Rhino
(George R.R. Martin)

skijumptoes

Post by skijumptoes »

Rhino wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:26 pm
You know, i thought that for many years too. And i had a swap around earlier this year after selling a large workstation synth and invested the money into more guitar stuff (As that's what i prefer to play really), and bought some much needed shelving, cable management etc.

And i gotta say a clean environment, for me, is so much better for my workflow. I had 4-5 controllers on my desk that i had built up and adapted over the years, and now i just have an MCU sat there. Don't underestimate a clean/clear environment can do for your headspace. Looking back, I was a slave to my desk only facing forwards and continuously setting up controllers and not really producing much music as a by-product of that.

Now i move about more as it's a nicer environment to do music in.

JHTorch

Post by JHTorch »

chileanbyone wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:54 pm
Hello
Do you have a good recommendation for a control surface?. I am really new to recording but I was shopping around for a control surface/mixer so I can automate some of the sounds and record the automation.

Thank you in advance!
Since the early 2000's, I have been in search of the best control solution and it has been frustrating in terms of quality, features and/or price. Right now, I use the Tascam DM-3200 digital mixer & Console 1 which together do a decent job reasonably well. Ideally, if you have the budget, the SSL Matrix 2 is probably one of the best solutions if you use hardware processors. My partner and I are putting together our $$ to buy one, hopefully within the next 6 months.

In the $1,000-$1,500 range, the Avid Artist Mix or the Mackie MCU are probably the best options. The ICON control surfaces look promising but I've read a LOT of complaints from many users.
Johnny Human Torch: Guitarist/bassist/producer/composer; engineer BlackMagic Studios
bloodragethefilm.com

Partial Gear List:
Cubase Pro 9.5/Pro Tools 12.4/Macbook Pro (mid 2014) El Capitan OSX ver.10.11.3, 16 GB RAM 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7/UAD-2 Octo Card/Sonnet Expansion Chassis/Tascam DM-3200 with Firewire 32 channel and ADAT cards/Antelope Orion 32 Plus/Crane Song Avocet Monitor Controller/Focal Twin Be Monitors/Softube Console 1 Mk 2/Plugs by UAD, Waves, Slate, Sound Toys, Nomad Factory, etc./Hardware Processors by Manley, SSL, Empirical Labs, Kush, Shadow Hills, Avalon, Warm Audio, etc.

GlennO

Post by GlennO »

Are there any control surfaces besides the Artist Mix that have level meters when used with Cubase?
Cubase 10, MacOS 10.13, Avid Artist Mix

skijumptoes

Post by skijumptoes »

You can get a level meter from the generic remote setup, I’ve had it running on my BCR2000 before.
Also the Nektar Panorama P series can display meters for the track you’ve selected on their display.

Rhino

Post by Rhino »

skijumptoes wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:45 pm
Rhino wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:26 pm
You know, i thought that for many years too. And i had a swap around earlier this year after selling a large workstation synth and invested the money into more guitar stuff (As that's what i prefer to play really), and bought some much needed shelving, cable management etc.

And i gotta say a clean environment, for me, is so much better for my workflow. I had 4-5 controllers on my desk that i had built up and adapted over the years, and now i just have an MCU sat there. Don't underestimate a clean/clear environment can do for your headspace. Looking back, I was a slave to my desk only facing forwards and continuously setting up controllers and not really producing much music as a by-product of that.

Now i move about more as it's a nicer environment to do music in.
in fact, most of the controllers serve my habit of holding a guitar while working, you simply gotta have all KCs @ 1st level (no modifiers) if one hand is mostly tied up.
and the mix of different key controllers is totally by choice, as the division into small "key areas" by shape and colour supports muscle memory, I can use about 2/3 of them without even thinking, blind or a quick glance from the corner of the eye at best (for the colour coded Cherry). I'm pretty happy with that quota, and its getting better every day. 8-)
as for the rotary controllers, they are "hardwired" to specific functions like "lo mid Q", regardless of what plugin they control - muscle memory again.
multi-layer functionality is a total workflow killer for me, I grew up on large analog consoles and outboard with big fat knobs, and that's still my usability benchmark, no contest.
I happily embraced digital recording quality and workflow though, and the single "selected" channel controller paradigm makes more sense to me than a moving subset of 8 or 16, unfortunately I neither have room nor funds for a true 48 ch controller. :(

besides, I can move around when actually recording a guitar track, the rest of the time I'm tied to the sweet spot in the stereo triangle anyway, so I might just make the best use of my arm's reach, it's all super comfortable in fact.

ymmv of course, but don't judge something you have not used yourself in battle, and don't even know the specific setup of.
there's way more to my workflow than meets the eye - nothing a clean, empty desk could ever give me ...
peace,
Rhino
(George R.R. Martin)

plectrumboy

Post by plectrumboy »

GlennO wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:26 am
Are there any control surfaces besides the Artist Mix that have level meters when used with Cubase?
ICON QCon ProX have level meters; I personally don't tend to focus on them and look to my onscreen mixer.

Steve.
Scan 3XS desktop i7 5820 @ 4.0 Ghz on Asus x99 Pro 32Gb running Windows 10 pro with Thunderbolt card; MacBook Pro 2018 32gb, 2x UR824, UAD Apollo Twin Mk II Quad; Icon Qcon Pro X + 1x Pro XS, Cubase 10.5 (most recent), Jamstix 4, The Grand 3, HSO, Wavelab 9.5, Halion 6, BFD3, NI Studio Drummer, Session Horns Pro, Mark 1, Groove Agent 4, Stylus RMX, Trillian, Kontakt, VST Connect Pro.

skijumptoes

Post by skijumptoes »

Yeah it's all very subjective of course, but in my case i've found that by reducing control surfaces (I had a setup incredibly similar to yours) and creating a bit of space i'm just producing more music. I wasn't even seeing projects through to completion before - Maybe 3-4 songs a year. I've completed 6-7 since May, but they're of so much better quality - less looping and copying of regions, for example, because i'm just that little more clearer and physically active in how i record (i think?!). I dunno haha!!

I didn't do it on purpose either, i just had a clean up and thought i'd put stuff back 'as i needed' through pure laziness initially - cause they were bundled in a corner with cables spaghetti'd all over. ...And i look over now, and they're still sat there in a pile.

I think for me, it's just removing the temptation to tinker, i just love hardware and setting up controllers, but it's to the detriment of producing music which is what i SHOULD be focusing on - When i review it now, most of the 'quick' actions i was performing were standard low cuts, bit of compression etc. So i have a few track templates setup with those ready to go and quick controls for parameters i know i need. i.e. Let Cubase do the work for me - previous to that i was on a mission on how to break the 8 control limit. But now i just embrace it.

I put a bit of ambient lighting in the corner, put my guitar amps there, a stool for playing.. And where i used to remain seated at my desk and bring the guitar over, i go and sit in that corner and play/record - it's bringing so much more out of me musically as i don't have that almost-magnetic pull to the desk as a focal point anymore. Just creating that space and less desk clutter seems to do me wonders.

That's only my personal experience, but after years and years of tinkering with control surfaces it may be a valuable lesson for anyone who finds themselves caught in that loop as it's easy to forget about the artistry of music and get overly focused/obsessed on technicalities, workflows etc. Not saying you are of course as this is about me, but i definitely had 70-80% of my focus as a technician more than an artist/musician.

Return to “Computer/Studio Hardware & Setup”