Small Windows 10 tweak for better performance

Find topics on computers, studios and music-related hardware.
ral1020

Small Windows 10 tweak for better performance

Post by ral1020 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:27 pm

Thought I would share this with you guys & gals as it made a noticeable difference in my CPU performance with Cubase.

My system is dedicated to DAW use and was already "tweaked" to the max. But this improved things even more.

Simply uncheck "Turn On Fast Startup" (Note: Even though it says: "Recommended", it will not
cause any instability or issues. Will only add a few seconds to system start up)

To do this: Go to Control Panel, Power Options. Click "Choose What The Power Buttons Do" in upper left. Then click (in blue)
"Change Settings That Are Currently Available". Now: Click the check-mark next to "Turn on fast Startup" to uncheck it.
Also uncheck "Hibernate" if its checked. Click "Save changes" at the bottom. Restart your system.

I didn't expect much, but was pleasantly surprised when I opened Cubase to find my CPU usage improved by almost 10%

I have to give credit to a user: olavsflaa, over at the Studio One forum for this one.

Also: Some Windows updates may turn this feature back on. So check after updates etc.
Windows 10 Pro. i7-8700k. 32gb RAM. All SSD Drives. Focusrite 8i6 3rd Gen. Cubase 10.5 Pro. Studio One v4 Pro
Lots of VST Instruments

aeonblack6

Re: Small Windows 10 tweak for better performance

Post by aeonblack6 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:36 pm

Interesting! What could the reason for this be?

raino
Grand Senior Member

Post by raino » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:25 am

Any idea why this would improve Cubase performance, especially since the setting impacts stuff at startup?
rodger

Cubase Pro 10.5, Win10 Home, Halion6, BFD3, GPO, Komplete Ultimate 9, Waves Gold, Misc. other

i7 4771 Haswell Processor 3.5GHz, ADK LGA1150, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX970, RME Fireface 400, 2x UAD-2

ral1020

Post by ral1020 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:59 am

When engaged, it appears to keep some settings & other information in the background. Here's a quote from howtogeek.com:

"By saving the operating system state to a hibernation file, it can make your computer boot up faster."

Even with hibernation off (if Turn on fast startup is ON) it still stores system state information to that temporary file. So, it seems
to be doing quite a bit in the background.

Studio One CPU performance (on my system) is also better with it off
Windows 10 Pro. i7-8700k. 32gb RAM. All SSD Drives. Focusrite 8i6 3rd Gen. Cubase 10.5 Pro. Studio One v4 Pro
Lots of VST Instruments

aeonblack6

Post by aeonblack6 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:32 am

That's a fantastic tip, thanks for posting. It makes sense, it's just strange that windows would keep caching that stuff during all processes.

vinark

Post by vinark » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:01 am

I think (yes not know) this is related to windows not really shutting down when turned of, so you never have a fresh OS start, cause it suspends to disk. Unless you choose restart. So you could be working on a machine that has been on (in a way) for days or weeks, until you restart.

ca-booter

Post by ca-booter » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:37 am

Very interesting, but I don't have that option "turn on fast startup".
I am on the latest W10 PRO -1909.
Maybe MS deleted this option?

EDIT:
found it! you have to turn on the Hibernate.
PC ASUS i7-2600 3,4Ghz |W10-Pro 1909 SSD | 16Gb DDR3 | ASUS R5230 graphics | Cubase Pro 10.5.12 | Wavelab 10 EL | Absolute 3 |SuperiorDrummer 3 | Yamaha-Steinberg N12 FW | Steinberg UR816C + Behringer ADA8200 | Behringer X-Touch One | Fishman TriplePlay | Lexicon MX200, Strymon Volante, Art Pro VLA II, Art Pro Channel II, Klark Teknik: KT-2A, 1176-KT, 2*EQP-KT

jaslan
Grand Senior Member

Post by jaslan » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:43 pm

This is one thing I was annoyed with about Windows 10. This “hibernate/sleep shutdown” instead of a true shutdown. I used to have to start my PC and then RESTART my PC to get all the peripherals working (particularly the audio interface) until I figured out that the PC wasn’t actually shutting down but just “sleeping”. Drivers, docks, and USB adapters, etc., sometimes don’t reload correctly after sleep mode. I have always recommended people turn it off and as someone else said, a true cold boot doesn’t take but a few seconds longer (especially with an SSD) and it clears all the residual processes and apps and a fresh start for audio drivers etc.
My main annoyance is that Windows turns it on by default and it is somewhat obscure to find out about it and turn it off.
Cubase Pro 10. Core-i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, Windows 10. UR44. M-Audio Axiom Pro 61. Fishman TriplePlay. Komplete 11 Ultimate. Jamstix 4. Absolute VST3. 418 Carrier Landings.
SoundCloud

ral1020

Post by ral1020 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:27 pm

Yes jaslan, I agree.

So: Last night I had a chance to do some testing with Cubase and Studio One to see if there was actually any improvement
during tracking, VSTi use etc. Ultimately, Cubase did show a slight improvement. Maybe 2% - 4%. (not the "almost 10%" which
I initially asserted) When I loaded my template after the change, my CPU performance meter (when idling without any input)
definitely showed around a 5% - 10% drop. Once I started tracking with various VSTis etc. Performance improvement seemed minimal.
But a slight improvement non-the-less.

Now: With Studio One (identical template) the improvement was more pronounced during tracking etc. I would say definitely around 5% - 8%

So, ultimately with this tweak, your "mileage may vary" But certainly worth implementing
Lots of VST Instruments

valvehead

Post by valvehead » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:55 pm

I have hibernation disabled, and the "Turn On Fast Startup" option isn't even there.

Note: I turned off hibernation by entering "powercfg -h off" in an elevated command prompt. This completely removes the hidden hiberfil.sys file.
Cubase 10.5 Pro, Wavelab 10 Pro
Windows 10 Pro 1909, Intel i7 5820k, Gigabyte X99 Gaming G1, Corsair DDR4 32GB, Samsung 960 Pro 512GB
RME Fireface UFX+, Dynaudio BM6a

raino
Grand Senior Member

Post by raino » Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:09 am

valvehead wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:55 pm
I have hibernation disabled, and the "Turn On Fast Startup" option isn't even there.

Note: I turned off hibernation by entering "powercfg -h off" in an elevated command prompt. This completely removes the hidden hiberfil.sys file.
Q1
Likewise I don't see the "Turn on Fast Startup" option. Am I right to think that implies hibernation is disabled on my system too? However I never disabled it via a command line. The PC was built as a dedicated DAW so I suppose it could have been disabled from the beginning. But that would mean the disabled state survived the upgrade from Win7 to W10...? Possible, but I'm a bit skeptical.

Q2
If I'm doing a Shutdown and not Sleep, does that give me a clean boot or does some stuff just get written to disk and reloaded?
rodger

Cubase Pro 10.5, Win10 Home, Halion6, BFD3, GPO, Komplete Ultimate 9, Waves Gold, Misc. other

i7 4771 Haswell Processor 3.5GHz, ADK LGA1150, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX970, RME Fireface 400, 2x UAD-2

Nickeldome

Post by Nickeldome » Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:21 pm

This is actually kind of 'Fake News'. :-) Because this tip will advise you to disable part of a scheme that's best disabled all together! "Fast startup" is part of the hibernation scheme. It caches system files so your computer will start faster when coming out of hibernation. If you don't see this option you probably already have hibernation disabled? But a good way to check is to see if you have the file Hiberfil.sys in the root of your C: drive. ( You need to have 'view hidden/system files enabled' for this!) For our purposes it's best to disable the hibernation option all together. So if you see this file and clearly haven't done so already just open a system prompt (cmd) with 'admin' rights and type the following command: powercfg.exe /hibernate off

Now restart your computer and you'll see you got rid of the gigabit consuming file Hiberfil.sys. And you got rid of this horrible resource consuming hibernation scheme all together. :-)
Cubase Pro - Wavelab Pro (always latest version) Windows 10 Pro 64bit / Asus TUF Mark 1 X299 / i9-7900X (at 4.3 GHZ) / 64GB RAM / Geforce GTX 1060 6G / System drive Samsung M.2 1TB 960Pro / Kontakt drives 3 x 1TB Samsung Evo / Project/Audio/Archive drive 10TB Seagate Ironwolf - Audio interface: Roland UA-1610 / External gear: Kawai MP11 / Kurzweil PC88 / Sequential Circuits Prophet 5 / Roland JV1080 / Roland D50 / Korg 01/W / Elka EK22 – Midi controllers: Roli Seabord Rise 49, SoundQuest 8port-SE / Nektar Panorama P1 / Roland Octopad II / Akai MPD18 - Main VST's: Kontakt 6 / Padshop Pro / Spectrasonics Omnisphere 2.6, Trillian & Keyscape / Arturia V-collection / FXpansion BFD 3 / Toontrack Superior Drummer 3
All time user of Cubase since Atari V2 (around 1990)

valvehead

Post by valvehead » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:22 pm

raino wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:09 am
valvehead wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:55 pm

Q1
Likewise I don't see the "Turn on Fast Startup" option. Am I right to think that implies hibernation is disabled on my system too? However I never disabled it via a command line. The PC was built as a dedicated DAW so I suppose it could have been disabled from the beginning. But that would mean the disabled state survived the upgrade from Win7 to W10...? Possible, but I'm a bit skeptical.

Q2
If I'm doing a Shutdown and not Sleep, does that give me a clean boot or does some stuff just get written to disk and reloaded?
I suppose it's possible that the setting carried over from Win7. It does try to retain as much as possible when performing the upgrade. All of my Win10 machines were clean installs though. I had some issues with a couple of upgrades back when Win10 came out, so I started from scratch.

Clean Boot is actually a specific procedure to locate and isolate startup issues. It's a separate thing from normal boot (with fast boot disabled). No need to perform a clean boot unless there are specific problems you are trying to fix. Just stick with normal boot.

I agree with everything that Nickeldome said. In fact disabling hibernation is one of the first things I do after installing Windows. I have never used it, the file takes up space, and it can cause issues for some programs.
Cubase 10.5 Pro, Wavelab 10 Pro
Windows 10 Pro 1909, Intel i7 5820k, Gigabyte X99 Gaming G1, Corsair DDR4 32GB, Samsung 960 Pro 512GB
RME Fireface UFX+, Dynaudio BM6a

Return to “Computer/Studio Hardware & Setup”