UAD / AMD compatibility problems

Find topics on computers, studios and music-related hardware.
mtibes

UAD / AMD compatibility problems

Post by mtibes » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:41 pm

Just wanted to share this, I wasn't aware of it when I bought my new AMD 3900X System: UADs quad and smaller cards have serious compatibility issues with recent AMD systems. My UAD quad did not work with my new computer, I would have had to try several motherboards and experiment with that or buy a new UAD octo card - those work fine. This unexpected, forced upgrade did cost more than the whole new computer...

Michael
Cubase 10.5, win 10 with latest updates, Ryzen 3900X with 32 GB Ram, RME Raydat & PCIe Digiface, UAD Octo

MattiasNYC
Grand Senior Member

Re: UAD / AMD compatibility problems

Post by MattiasNYC » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:32 pm

This actually goes back to the first gen Ryzen chips (and Threadripper) as well as some Intel motherboards.

My UAD-2 QUAD didn't work on my ASUS x370 motherboard when I got it but eventually a bios updated made it work again. If you still have the quad and a problem you could always try a BIOS update. Be aware of course that you need to take precautions before doing so.
Nuendo 7.1.4 / Lynx TWO-B / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Ryzen 1700 3.7GHz (oc) / 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200MHz / Radeon VII / ASUS x370-A mobo/ 500GB WD Blue system drive / Crucial BX100 250GB SSD media / spinners for library/backup ::::: iZotope RX 7/ Phoenixverb Surround / DaVinci Resolve / Faderport / Applied Acoustics UltraAnalog / my pet pony Frank

Return to “Computer/Studio Hardware & Setup”