Cubase and 4K monitors?

Find topics on computers, studios and music-related hardware.
GeoMax

Re: Cubase and 4K monitors?

Post by GeoMax » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:51 pm

Well...I decided to try the larger screen again. Just ordered the DELL P4317q 43" 4k. My current Dell UP3216Q is working fine, but it could be just a tad larger. That said, I hope I do not run into the same problem of headaches I had when I tried the 48" Samsung TV as a monitor.
The primary driver for adding another 4k, is that I like to have a mirror of my DAW control room, in my tracking room, when I am recording myself. Currently, I use RDP on my Macbook to remote control my DAW, but this is annoying. Being that using RDP with Cubase 9 breaks all my midi devices, i figured it was time to just remove that from the equation and add a 4k so I can miror. While I was at it, I thought why not try an actual large 4k computer monitor...instead of a TV?

My eye is about 33" away from my current 32" 4k. With the increase in size, I think if I put the 43" about 44-48" away, it should be about right. The DPI difference is about 34%. I am also not going to use the stand it comes with. I will put it on a monitor arm so i can set it lower. Some people complained that the stand makes the start of the bottom of the screen about 4.5 inches from the table. That height made for some unnecessary up and down head movements.

It will be here in a few days, so i will report back after I get it all setup.
Cubase Pro 9.0.1, Wavelab Pro 9
Platforms: OSX - 2014 Mac Book Pro -Yosemite 10.10.3
MASTER DAW PC - Windows 10 Pro, i7-6950x (10core), ASUS X99-DELUXE II, 128GB Ram, all SSD Harddrives, GeForce GTX 970, DELL P4317q 43" 4K Monitor
Interfaces: PCIe RayDAT, X32 Rack via ADAT, UA 4-710d via ADAT
Preamps: UA 4-710d, Avalon 737sp, ISAONE connected via ADAT on UA 4-710d
VSTi: Vienna Symphonic Library - Strings Complete,Woodwinds, Imperial Piano, VE Pro 6, HALion 5 - Spectrasonics Omnisphere 2 & Trilian Bass - The Grand 3 - Addictive Drums 2
Plugins: WAVES (64bit) Mercury + Studio Classics Native, MeldaProduction mTotalBundle, Eventide Anthology X
Midi Interfaces: Roland A-88, Alesis QS8
Recording Mics: Neumann U87ai, TLM103, Matched Pair KM-184, Shure SM81, SM7b
Other Toys: Kemper Profiling AMP, BIAS FX Desktop

GeoMax

Post by GeoMax » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:16 pm

Sooo...the new DELL P4317q 43" 4k monitor arrived and it looks beautiful. No dead pixels, and sofar, no headaches like I got from the 48" UHD TV I tried in the past. I found that i like it about 3' away...only a few inches further than my 32" 4k. Then again, I thought the 32" was just a bit small for Cubase. Maybe after Cubase gets better tuned for high resolution I would think differently. My conclusion, I think a 40"/43" 4K computer monitor is the perfect setup for my working distance. YMMV, but I think this is a sweet monitor.
Cubase Pro 9.0.1, Wavelab Pro 9
Platforms: OSX - 2014 Mac Book Pro -Yosemite 10.10.3
MASTER DAW PC - Windows 10 Pro, i7-6950x (10core), ASUS X99-DELUXE II, 128GB Ram, all SSD Harddrives, GeForce GTX 970, DELL P4317q 43" 4K Monitor
Interfaces: PCIe RayDAT, X32 Rack via ADAT, UA 4-710d via ADAT
Preamps: UA 4-710d, Avalon 737sp, ISAONE connected via ADAT on UA 4-710d
VSTi: Vienna Symphonic Library - Strings Complete,Woodwinds, Imperial Piano, VE Pro 6, HALion 5 - Spectrasonics Omnisphere 2 & Trilian Bass - The Grand 3 - Addictive Drums 2
Plugins: WAVES (64bit) Mercury + Studio Classics Native, MeldaProduction mTotalBundle, Eventide Anthology X
Midi Interfaces: Roland A-88, Alesis QS8
Recording Mics: Neumann U87ai, TLM103, Matched Pair KM-184, Shure SM81, SM7b
Other Toys: Kemper Profiling AMP, BIAS FX Desktop

Patanjali

Post by Patanjali » Fri May 04, 2018 2:24 am

How is Cubase supposed to get better tuned to high resolution? It really depends upon the OS font-scaling capability.

When 8K TVs come out, running Windows at 200% scaling should give good interpolation to give good smoothing. To see what that would look like, blow up a web page to 200%, then sit double the distance from your monitor, or scale Windows to 200%

In general, for good smoothing, at other than native resolution, where the rendered dots map 1:1 into the display pixels, the scaling needs to be at least double so that there are plenty of pixels into which the characters map, making edges look smoother and fonts rendering different weights more accurately.

This is what happens with modern phones with their 500+dpi resolutions. Even small text looks smooth on them. The same with 600dpi printing producing diagonal lines that are far less jagged than 300dpi (which is 'retina' at reading distances).

The issue is the cost and yield of very high-res displays compared to smaller mid-res ones.
Patanjali
Half of the folk music duo, DevaKnighT. All recorded and processed on Cubase 7.x at 192k.
Comp: i7-4930K : Asus P9X79-E WS : 32GB : GV-N750OC-2GI : SSDx7 : UAD2Q : TCL 49C2US x2.
HW: YRG : uKEY2 : UR44.
SW: Dual boot Win10P : Cubase 8.0.30 Pro 64 : RX4Adv : Ozone6Adv : Goliath/SO/Pianos/Gypsy/SV : Sup.Drum 2

Return to “Computer/Studio Hardware & Setup”