Behringer X-Touch Review/ Problems

I know this is an old post but I wanted to give an update after almost 2 1/2 years of use. So far nothing has broken. I’ve been using it in compatibility mode in nuendo 7 for all that time. I’ve got to say that I still don’t know what some of the buttons do but everything seems to function correctly. It has definitely been worth it.

Hi @Chriscc123,

Since you brought this thread back to life, has there been any progress in firmware or otherwise to be able to switch the X-Touch from both MCU to Generic Midi control? Like others, I would both like to use it for mixing and VST control via MCU, and also as a continuous controller during recording (either in real time while playing the keyboard or afterwards when layering in the CC automation data).

Thanks!

1 Like

Thought I might chime in here:

It will be interesting to hear Chris’s response, but I’m not sure there is any way to switch the functionality from MCU mode to definable MIDI commands on the X-Touch. There wasn’t last time I set one up.
If there is, then perhaps you could disable/enable the MIDI IO within Cubase to use it as a Generic Controller or an MCU unit . . . . one at a time.

However, much better suited for Generic Remote use (CCs, Editing Commands, etc) is the X-Touch Compact.
It has a little utility that comes with it that allows you to very precisely define what is output via MIDI for each and every fader, Push/Turn knob, and button on the entire unit - both layers, also, which are completely independent - as well as display feedback from Cubase (Knob LED behavior, Momentary or on/off button lights, etc).

I use 24 channels of MCU (actual Mackie) as well as a separate X-Touch Compact.
Really great hands on control of tons of stuff. And I haven’t even assigned every button/Knob/fader yet.

More money (the Compact is 299US) and space, but well worth it, IMHO.

Hugh

Edit: Just realized I wrote a long review earlier in this post on the Compact as I use it.
Oh, well.
Guess this is another plug. Read the “Review” for details.

Hi Hugh, thanks for the extra plug :slight_smile:. I thought I’d share for the benefit of others the feedback from some emails I exchanged with Behringer Support. I’ll start by saying that they were incredibly responsive – answers back within 24 hours, including a follow-up from the same technician. Of course, please draw your own conclusions from what I learned. I asked if I could set the X-Touch into a mode (or in MCU or HUI) where I could send continuous controller messages that would be used to record automation in Cubase 9.0 Pro… for more than just volume… also for Expression, Modulation, etc.

Here’s what they said: The X-Touch can be set as HUI or MC. So, the functionality actually depends on the HUI/MC implementation protocol of your chosen DAW. Generally, these parameters are not part of HUI or MC protocol. (emphasis added)

They also referred me to this thread: https://forum.musictri.be/showthread.php?13600-Please-help-me-with-X-touch-at-cubase

It sounds like the X-Touch Compact can do what I desire, but I don’t think it can also control Cubase Pro’s mixing and related items (mute, solo, etc.) In addition, I liked the idea of having the jog wheel that is on the main X-Touch.

I’m a fan of Junkie XL’s Youtube channel and he uses a J.L. Cooper FaderMaster Pro. It is much pricer than both X-Touch models… any ideas on relative strengths and weaknesses?

The X-Touch compact can control a lot of Cubase parameters via the Generic Remote. If you want to use it for mixing, it’s best used in “selected channel” mode however because as soon as you add more tracks (without "selected channel) it gets all out of wack.

The X-Touch compact can control those options when you use it in Mackie Control (MC) mode. I have one X-Touch compact right now and noticed that I in fact need another. One in MC mode for transport and mixing and the other that I can program the MCC commands for tweaking instruments.

Hey Hugh, hopefully you’re still monitoring this thread as I just picked up an X Touch compact this week and had a few questions for you regarding the way you’re controlling CC’s for VSTi’s. It sounds like you’re using the device in the exact way I had planned to regarding some VSTi controller information and some cubase control information. I get the assignments in the X Touch editor for the most part, but you said you were filtering via the preferences in cubase for other commands you were sending on channel 16. My questions would be the following.

1. If I’m using the faders to control CC’s for VSTi’s, such as modulation, expression, volume, etc…, and that’s all assigned to MIDI channel 1, what do I set the FADER-TOUCH values to? Do they need to match the fader values in the FADER section of the editor, or do they need to be set to off, or just set to channel 16? Wasn’t sure how to define those and if they would interfere with the normal fader settings. A better question would probably be, what do you use that functionality for, if anything, and how do you have those set?

2. I would suspect the answer is no, but can you run the x touch editor while cubase is open, or do you need to do all assignments in the editor before you launch cubase? It seems if you try to run the editor after cubase is launched, the dump functions and such are grayed out. So I’m assuming you need to make any and all assignments to the compact in the editor first, save them, THEN open cubase?

It’s a pretty damn versatile controller, and adds a ton of functionality. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide, and if I wasn’t clear enough regarding the questions just let me know.

Hi,
I use the opportunity of the existence of X-Touch Compact thread to ask a question I nowhere could find an answer: I have X-TC connected to Cubase 10 in Mackie Control mode and in no way I could succeed to control input channels level with it. In other words seems like X-TC in Mackie control mode does not even see input busses. Did anyone here find a way to do it in Mackie mode? I know that in generic mode X-TC, being fully programmable, can control whatever I please, but MC is generally simpler and more handy in basic configurations with this one exception of not simply allowing for fader control of Cubase audio inputs.
Any help here will be most appreciated.
Witold

Did you set it up correctly in Cubase/Nuendo?
Adding an MCU and setting the MIDI input and output?

input channel (red fader caps) cannot be seen by Mackie control…

Thanks for both answers. And yes, X-TC (MCU) works fine with everything else but inputs.
As for the second answer, would you know why inputs cannot be seen by Mackie? Is it protocol-related ar Cubase-specific?
Witold

Protocol related I think

Thank you.

I bought a Overlay for Cubase and i am able to control the Input channels by pressing “Shift + 7”

Read this thread and you will see

https://community.musictribe.com/t5/Recording/X-Touch-Overlay-for-Cubase/td-p/251495/page/3

Hi all,

Quick qs for you all,
I have the X Touch one, and it work well with Cubase Pro 10.5.
I al in cubase mode, and in Cubase settings, i am using the ‘Mackie Control’ set up in Remote Device.
I struggle to set-up the User Commands on the 4 Functions button of the X Touch one.
I set up sthg for F1 Button, in Category and in Command column, Apply, but then nothing happen when In try to press F1 on the X Touch One.
Any idea?

Just found it.
Mackie control are working perfectly, i was just not entering the right things in the Category and Column!

Hi @gorguts6,

may I ask you what you mean by “Cubase Mode”? I’ve read that several times now, but can’t see where I could set such a mode. I would be very happy if you could give me a hint. Thanks in advance!

The Function keys on the X touch one, do work but you need to restart Cubase for them to load properly.
Maybe unplugging and reconnecting would work, I have not tried that.

The 2 choices are “Cubase” & “Compatibility”

1 Like

@raino
I didn’t realize that I had to search in Cubase. Thank you very much for the explanation!