Locking audio track w/no hitpoints, to midi sequenced tracks

This is probably easy and I’m just having a senior moment here but if some one could point me in the right direction I’d appreciate it.

I have a song that is all midi except for a single vocal track. The timing of the vocal track is intentionally loose so it doesn’t lend itself to creating any hit points in it.

What I need is to be able to change the tempo of the entire song and have the vocal track squashed, or expanded (timewise) to match.

The song just uses fixed tempo so there’s no tempo track or anything. Been working a lot of hours lately so I’m suffering a high level of “toasticity” right now. My brain feels like pudding :unamused: …I’m sure there’s a simple way to do this and I’m just missing it.

Any help appreciated.

Karl

Well I don’t use these features much, I came across this post that seems to be a good solution for you:

Form this post:

See if this works, If your MIDI track timing is how you want it:

Go to the pool, check “musical mode” for the vocal audio track. Then close the pool window, and go back to the project window. You can now change the project tempo from the Transport bar (i.e., from 120 to 100 BPM) and have the audio speed match the new MIDI tempo you changed it to.

If the MIDI track isn’t exactly how you’d like it, it gets more complicated, like Johngar said, post back if that’s the case. Lots of folks here that can help you if that’s the case.

There is not feature that does this well (Cubase isn’t really designed for easy remixing).

But, one way to look into is the Tempo Detection function, but you can only use it on one track per project. You can then should be able to flatten the audio using the audio definition features.

Using the tap-tempo is rubbish IMHO, I expect to get accuracy down to the sample (and zero crossings), just like hitpoints can give you.

Ya so try tempo detection on the edit menu on your primary import track and see if that works well. After that the track should be in-sync on a per-bar basis so you might be able to work with that alone.

Also, the hitpoint features are powerful in Cubase, you can use then to chop’n’paste as necessary, I’ve never had that good of results with it personally.