Music for a little horror film project

Howdy,

I tried my best to compose the score to a little horror production called „Sarah”, a short film (18-19 min) produced by film students from all departments about a series of murderous events around a remote cabin the woods. It was executed for educational purpose only; nobody involved got any money. The film is to be released online after an initial promotion phase for short film contests, festivals etc.
However, I am eager to get some early feedback on the music, especially some hints concerning the mix and the overall sound. Is it realistic enough? If not, what sucks the most? Of course, there were no real accoustic instruments involved. Fell free to tel me what you think about it. :slight_smile: Maybe you’ll recognize the major motif (a falling fourth/tritone shift) here or there. :wink:

Best regrads

Dustin

Anyone? :wink:

fact: I don’t like horror movies so maybe not my place to say something about your music… just some thoughts:

Negative: very cliche’ in the sense that the melodies aren’t inspiring “fear” but they kind of inspire something very much related to it called “discord” or “shock”.

Positive: they sound very well mixed. like the few big budget horror movies that I’ve seen, which aren’t many

but I’ve always been one to love melodic pieces… so I prefer the soundtracks for horror movies like the one Disasterpeace made for the movie called “It Follows”… I encourage you to listen to this one track if you haven’t

https://soundcloud.com/milanrecords/disasterpeace-detroit-from-it-follows-ost

Good luck !! :wink:

Well, how did I miss this? It’s not the kind of music I attempt, and so others should have more pertinent comments, but, it did what you wanted it to for me! I think the instruments are relatively realistic and well mixed, and I think the mood is highly appropriate. Good luck with the film!

Nice work, great composition skills, good thriller effect. Note: Felt something little strange with the reverbs or maybe lack of them in some voices.

Thanks for your insights, really appreciate any kind of feedback! :slight_smile: And yes, you’re absolutely about the reverb problem in some passages. Some instruments definitely didn’t get enough (e.g. the piano and synth piano in the final track: “Resolution and End Credits”). Must have missed that in the mastering.
Anyway, the film itself has finally been uploaded on youtube:
SARAH - Thriller Short Film [German/English Subtitles] - YouTube :slight_smile: