VST connect to rehearse/write?

All topics on the VST Connect products and Studio Pass
Mike_Fenrir

VST connect to rehearse/write?

Post by Mike_Fenrir » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:48 am

Hello,

new to the forum and looking into upgrading to cubase pro soon from elements. I'm in a band which is fairly spread out across different towns which makes it difficult for us to write or rehearse regularly, so have been looking at ways around it. Came across VST connect pro which looks brilliant at getting around part of the issue so that we can demo tracks but i can't seem to find all the answers easily (maybe someone has answered my question here before but i don't know).

So basically i want to know whether both the producer and performer can play an instrument simultaneously and be heard on both ends. for example, the performer would play guitar or sing whilst I, the producer, play along on guitar for the purpose of writing harmonies or alternate parts in real time and can essentially rehearse together. so the idea would be not to record but to monitor i guess.
is this at all possible?

misohoza

Re: VST connect to rehearse/write?

Post by misohoza » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:22 am

So basically i want to know whether both the producer and performer can play an instrument simultaneously and be heard on both ends
Hi Mike.

I'm afraid you can't. VST Connect isn't really meant as a jamming tool.
Because it's streamed over the internet, there is a fair amount of latency added on top of your sound card buffer setting which would make it unusable for realtime monitoring if you intend to play simultaneously.

The closest you can get to rehearsing is to do it in turns. Record or play your part, then let the performer record his...
Win 10 Home, 64 bit, 8 gb ram,
Cubase Pro 9, Wavelab Pro 9, Halion 6, Dorico,
NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Ozone 7,
UR 44

musicullum

Re: VST connect to rehearse/write?

Post by musicullum » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:06 am

Correct, this is not a jamming tool.
At least, the Studio can listen and perform and record in perfect sync to the Performers' playing, only the Performer can not hear the Studios' input then.
musi

Return to “VST Connect”