Split band recording?

All topics on the VST Connect products and Studio Pass
Keyplayer

Split band recording?

Post by Keyplayer » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:03 pm

I am pretty sure this won't work. But I want to understand why. Here's the scenario.
Studio A is a Nuendo 7 facility with VST Connect Pro. Studio B is a Cubase 8.5 room, also with VST Connect Pro.

Studio A is the primary recording facility. The session is to record a bassist & drummer in Studio B along with a guitarist & saxophonist in Studio A. I was told that the monitoring setup would be unworkable for the 4 musicians to be able to play together. I am not clear as to what the exact limitation of the system is that prohibits this. Can anyone explain why?
Nuendo 1.0 - 8.3 |VST Studio Connect Pro | Windows 10 Pro | Intel i7 - 5820K CPU @ 3.30 | 64-bit OS | 32GB of RAM |RME HDSPe RayDAT | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti Video Card | Euphonix MC Control, 2 Mix & Transport | Xkeys | iConnectivity mi10 MIDI Interface | UAD-2 Octo Core with UAD-1 Legacy Ultra Pak | Isotope RX4 | Melodyne 3.2 | Voxengo Plugins | Real Guitar | B4 II | EZ Drummer | Drumagog 4 | Virtual Guitarist 2 | Korg, Roland, Kurzweil Synths | Apogee Big Ben | 32 Channel Panasonic DA-7 desk | Equator D5 (5.1) & Mackie 824 (St.) monitors | VS-1680 & 880 HDR's |

musicullum

Re: Split band recording?

Post by musicullum » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:25 am

Keyplayer wrote:I am pretty sure this won't work. But I want to understand why. Here's the scenario.
Studio A is a Nuendo 7 facility with VST Connect Pro. Studio B is a Cubase 8.5 room, also with VST Connect Pro.

Studio A is the primary recording facility. The session is to record a bassist & drummer in Studio B along with a guitarist & saxophonist in Studio A. I was told that the monitoring setup would be unworkable for the 4 musicians to be able to play together. I am not clear as to what the exact limitation of the system is that prohibits this. Can anyone explain why?
VST Connect is not designed for sessions of any kind. The only way it works is to connect one Performer to one recording facility.
In a local setup you'd have to have real wires to provide all parties with simultaneously occuring signals. VST Connect requires delays and buffering in order to connect people remotely and isn't designed for this scenario, sorry.
In any case, additional buffering is required when connecting over networks. P.A. systems (digital snakes) can provide very low latency, but unless tailored to this particular task, audio interconnections over network will introduce further latencies that will get in the way.
musi

Return to “VST Connect”