How to recognize if a Project is 32 or 64 bit?

Hi there!

As the threattitle hypothesize, i want to know if there is a way to recognize if a project is 32 or 64 bit. Since it is possible to open up a 32 bit project in a 64 bit cubase enviroment and vice versa, i’m sometimes confused when open up an older project. My only method is to look at the cpu load, since bridged plugins consume more cpu power.

I also want to know how vst3 plugins behave, since there is no x64 enhancement on the plugin name ore something similar like it is with vst2 plugins. Does cubase open up the ‘right’ vst3 in therms of the host enviroment (32 or 64 bit)?

Last but not least, i encounter some problems after i opend up a project in the ‘wrong’ enviroment and save it there. After this mistake, ist is only possible to render the project in realtime because it would crash otherwise. Does someone encounter similar problems when doing this mistake?

I use Cubase 8 32bit and Cubase 8.5 64 bit (latest versions)

Cheers, Tomess!

I am not certain, but I don’t believe projects have a 32 bit or 64 bit property.
It only comes into play when the project is loaded. The Cubase installation and installed plugins determine 32bit or 64 bit.

Think of a simple Word document. The document itself probably doesn’t know or care about 32 bit vs. 64 bit. The document opens up in a 32 bit Word installation or a 64 bit Word installation.

Depending on the size of the project and the plugins present, 32 bit Cubase may handle the project differently than 64 bit Cubase would.

When you talk about older projects, I assume those older, bridged plugins don’t have a 64 bit version installed. But, if there was a 64 but version available, 64 bit Cubase would load them.

I have old projects which were created on all 32 bit using Halion Sonic SE, Roomworks, VST Dynamics, etc., (i.e. All 32 bit Cubase, plugins and even the OS), but since everything is available in 64 bit now (and that is how I have installed), when I load the project, there is no trace of 32 bit anywhere.

Hey man, thanks for your reply!

So, i’ve done some testing, and it seems, that cubase CAN recognize VST2 Plugins, which are 32 or 64 bit, even if their name is different (eg. ValhallaFreqEcho.dll and ValhallaFreqEcho_x64.dll). However, there are some plugins, which do not come with a x64 extension, so they will be loaded up in bridged mode i guess. It would be nice to be able to identify a bridged plugin.

You can. It will have bars across the top and bottom of the // ( VST2) or /// ( VST3) symbol.

Regards :sunglasses:

Thanks Prock!