Can Cubase 8 Open Cubase SX/SE Projects?

Greetings all. I have about 2 albums worth of songs I recorded with Cubase SE. Cubase SE was working great with both Windows XP and Windows 7.
I recently upgraded my DAW and I’m now running Windows 10, and SE won’t install or run correctly. Can Cubase 8 open my old projects? Will it be able to work with 32 bit plugins? I tried the Cubase 9 Elements trial with the Jbridge trial version and was having trouble with it seeing my 32 bit virtual instruments. I didn’t spend much time with it, but was wondering if Cubase 8 Elements might be better for my uses.

Hi,

Here is the official compatibility chart, but Cubase SX is no mentioned here.

In theory, the file format is still the same, so there is no reason, it shouldn’t work.

And Cubase 8 was still 32-bit too (you could install it as 64-bit or 32-bit), so the problem with 32-bit is not here too. Might happen the old plug-ins are not Windows 10 compatible.

Thanks for the reply. Using Google I was able to find an older comparability chart from Steinberg, It seems Cubase versions through 7 will be able to open my projects. I was going to get either version 8 or 9, but I may be better off with 7 or earlier.

If you upgrade to Cubase Elements 9, you’ll be able to run Elements 8 which has a 32 bit version and is able to open these projects.