[Solved] Safely uninstall a trail version app without affecting others.

Hello, My HALion Sonic 2 Trial just expired and I’m now seeing the “purchase or uninstall” popup window.
There seems to be a bug or something with the trial’s timer since I’ve almost never used it and click the cancel option when prompted to use the trial time.

I’ve installed many versions of Cubase on my Windows 7 64-bit PC including: Cubase 5 64-bit, 6 32-bit & 64-bit, 7.5 64-bit & 8.5 64-bit.
It was a real pain to set these all up so I don’t want to just launch the uninstaller and have that erase my Custom Presets and/or other vital data.
What worries me is that my HALion One, HALion Sonic SE, etcetera, might be affected by uninstalling HALion Sonic 2’s Trial as I installed Every VST that came with the versions of Cubase that I listed.

The popup window says the following:

"Some content could not be loaded. Either, licenses are missing, or trial licenses have expired.
HALion Sonic Factory Program Presets 01
HALion Sonic Factory Program Presets 02
HALion Sonic Factory Program Presets 03
HALion Sonic Factory Synth Bass Presets
HALion Sonic Factory Dance Synth Presets
HALion Sonic Factory Granular Synth Presets
HALion Sonic Factory Organ Presets
HALion Sonic Factory HALiotron Presets
HALion Sonic Factory Beat Box Presets
HALion Sonic Factory Ethno Presets
HALion Sonic Factory Layer Presets 01
HALion Sonic Contemporary Drums 01
HALion Sonic HALiotron
HALion Sonic Factory Ethno
HALion Sonic Granular synth
HALion Sonic Factory Layer Presets 02

Find out more on how to activate your trial licenses permanently, or remove expired licenses."

I currently only have a Cubase 8.5 Full License and a Full License for a Groove Agent SE Jazz Add-on.

Will uninstalling the HALion Sonic 2 Trial like the prompt directed me to cause any issues with my multiple Cubase installations and all my VST’s ?

“How to deal with license error messages”

Is there a manual way to uninstall the Trial that is safer?

Thank You for all of your help.

Take Care. :slight_smile:

Hi,

Manual way to remove the libraries is to delete the related files (i.e. all *.vstsounds files, with the prefix HS_, not HSSE_). But you have to uninstall the plug-in or delete the *.dll or *.vst3 file (HS 2). Uninstallation of the HALion Sonic 2 Trial will not break your system. Just the HS 2 plug-in will be removed.

Hello, Thanks for the reply.
I uninstalled the plugin using the control panel and am now receiving this notice:

“VST Sound Library “HALion Sonic SE GM Factory Presets” not found:
C:\Users[My Name]\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Content\VST Sound\FCP_SMT_078_HSSE_GM_Presets_01.vstsound”

I also see this when launching Groove Agent SE:

"Some Content could not be loaded. Either, licenses are missing, or trial licenses have expired.
HALion Sonic Contemporary Drums 01
HALion Sonic HALiotron
HALion Sonic Factory Ethno
HALion Sonic Granular Synth

Find out more on how to activate your trial licenses permanently, or remove expired licenses."

I sill haven’t deleted the “Steinberg HALion Sonic 2 Content” program in the control panel, Would that fix theses issues?

I’m also seeing this inside some HALion Sonic SE2 Presets windows:

“No layer Edit page found
Please make sure that the required VST Sound Instrument Set is correctly installed!”

Did installing the HALion Sonic 2 Trail overwrite the HALion Sonic SE2 files?
Do I need to reinstall HALion Sonic SE2, Would that delete my custom presets?

Thanks.

Hi,

Uninstall the HALion Sonic 2 content. Then probably install back HALion Sonic SE 2 (with content) from the Cubase Full Installer, to make sure, all HSSE content is installed.

Hi, Thanks for the information.
I uninstalled the HALion Sonic 2 Trail Content and ran the Cubase 8.5 Full Installer. It updated my Cubase 8.5 and installed or fixed the HALion Sonic SE errors, Including repairing the missing VST sound file “FCP_SMT_078_HSSE_GM_Presets_01.vstsound”.

One last thing, I foolishly didn’t see how many custom presets I had before uninstalling the HALion Sonic 2 Trial and I’m doubting whether or not these are all of them.

Does uninstalling a VST affect the ratings (As in 1 to 5 stars) or the custom presets files?

Thanks again.