Audio drop out error message

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 8, Cubase Artist 8 and Cubase Elements 8 here.
spyder

Re: Audio drop out error message

Post by spyder » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:11 pm

Interesting - though of course it may not be related to the issues I have.

Presumably you are sure that nothing has changed in your setup or vst's or size of projects, etc?
Win 10 64 bit, Cubase 10.0.15 Wavelab Elements 9.5.50, CC121, RME FF800, Kontakt 5, Omnisphere 2, EWSO, SupDr2, CH, Pianoteq, 8dio, Ozone, Ethera

dasidaz

Post by dasidaz » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:17 pm

I'm having same issue here.
Nothing has been changed but the new version of cubase, and I'm getting "recording error: audio dropout detected" when I record an audio track.

It never happend in C7 or 7.5, so I'm also pretty sure it's C8 issue.

There's nothing new that cubase always has new bugs and errors for every updates, but it's still a shame. :(

Early21

Post by Early21 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:17 pm

Am noticing same issue here on 8.010. I turned off ASIO guard altogether and that seems to have solved it so far. There seem to be problems with ASIO guard in this version. I was getting a few pops as well before I turned it off.
Cubase 8.0 Pro, Wavelab 6 Essential, Lenovo Legion Y520 Laptop/Win10, Steinberg UR212, Izotope Ozone, Izotope RX6, NI Komplete
My album Incontinental Breakfast at http://lborden.bandcamp.com. Works in process: https://soundcloud.com/incontinentals.

erickdevore

Post by erickdevore » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:06 pm

mroekalea wrote:Hi there,

Maybee these things below are a starting point to find your problem

:idea: How much hard drives do you use and how is the load spread out (1 disk = OS + softw, disk2 = audio + projects, disk3 = sample libraries?), are your disks on dedicated controllers? Are you measuring the load of these disks?

:idea: What motherboard do you use and is it with the lastest firmware. Is there any tweaking done on your motherboard. How stable is your RAM? etc. etc.

Why all these questions you might ask?

Simple said your cubase should work! Drop outs merely indicates that something is wrong and you need to find out what. If all users suddenly are saying they get dropouts then I would look first at Cubase, but since this is not the case, I would look into hardware and driver problems.
I too am having this problem unfortunately. And it seems it's nearly the same situation as the OP, except I don't get the error message on my system when switching windows (I'm Mac OS 10.8.5, 32 GB RAM, C 8.0.10, all 64bit). I'm just trying to record an audio snipet from Midi (Kontakt in VST, going out to PT, and then coming back into Cubase) and it simply WILL NOT record. I've tried different buffer sizes, ASIO guard ON/OFF, etc. I originally posted something about this error message a few days ago and am glad I'm not the only one. I never had this problem in C7 or 6.5 either...
Mac pro 12 core (mid 2012), 10.10.3, 32 GB RAM.
Music for Film & TV

Swurveman

Post by Swurveman » Wed May 13, 2015 1:12 am

I have this problem as well. Just updated to 8 Pro. New project: Superior Drummer as VST. Tried to record audio on first track. Audio dropout message. Never happened with 6.5 running 30+ tracks, 8 hardware inserts, tons of VST's, all at 284 buffer size. Same computer. Doesn't happen with Pro Tools 11 either.

Something's wrong.
Cubase 10 Pro, Windows 10 , Intel Core i7 CPU, 950 @ 3.07 GHz, 16 GB RAM, , ATI RADEON 5450 Video Card 1GB - Dual DVI, 750GB SATA II 3.0Gb/s 64mb cache Hard Drive (OS), 2 x 1TB SATA II 3.0Gb/s 64mb cache Hard Drive (Media), Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R LGA1366 socket motherboard for Intel® Core™ i7 processor family. Lynx Aurora 16, RME HDSPe

islandmusicpro

Post by islandmusicpro » Thu May 14, 2015 1:48 pm

Hi,
Have you tried having C8 rebuild it's preferences? Fixed all sorts of things for me. And you could clone the system drive onto an SSD to smooth out overall performance.

Good luck,
Benji
Cubase Pro 10, Windows 10
Synthogy Ivory 2, UAD2 Duo PCIe 9.1,
Superior Drummer 2, PLAY 5,
Kontakt 5, Ozone 7 Advanced
Sibelius 7.5.1, Dorico Pro 3
i7 3770K Gigabyte Z77-UD5H 32GB
http://www.yourmusic.pro

Eberly

Post by Eberly » Wed May 20, 2015 3:15 pm

Not sure if it helps for you, but on one of my laptops, my network and sound cards cause this issue. I disable ALL on-board network devices, including wireless & bluetooth, and ALL unused playback/record sound devices (through control panel) & the drop outs completely go away. Not sure why, but it works, and I never use these while recording anyway...I just re-enable them later if I need them.

spyder

Post by spyder » Fri May 22, 2015 8:12 pm

Since I put in the original post I have been doing a lot of checking. To cut a long story short I think the audio dropouts were due to Pianoteq. I had installed it earlier but had not used it. I never considered it may be the problem as obviously it uses no RAM, however I have since learned that it can be processor-hungry. There has been a more recent update that lessens the processor utilisation, and I think that may be working better.

In any event, it seems that the problem - in my case anyway - may be due to processor limitations. However, I'm not yet totally sure and I hope I am not doing Pianoteq (which I love) a disservice!
Win 10 64 bit, Cubase 10.0.15 Wavelab Elements 9.5.50, CC121, RME FF800, Kontakt 5, Omnisphere 2, EWSO, SupDr2, CH, Pianoteq, 8dio, Ozone, Ethera

Swurveman

Post by Swurveman » Sat May 23, 2015 2:34 am

I contacted Steinberg about the audio dropouts and they advised me to go to devices-> device setup and turn "asio guard" off and check "use Steinberg power scheme".

That stopped my dropouts.
Cubase 10 Pro, Windows 10 , Intel Core i7 CPU, 950 @ 3.07 GHz, 16 GB RAM, , ATI RADEON 5450 Video Card 1GB - Dual DVI, 750GB SATA II 3.0Gb/s 64mb cache Hard Drive (OS), 2 x 1TB SATA II 3.0Gb/s 64mb cache Hard Drive (Media), Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R LGA1366 socket motherboard for Intel® Core™ i7 processor family. Lynx Aurora 16, RME HDSPe

pumafred

Post by pumafred » Sun May 24, 2015 12:39 am

There are so many posts about this, that I do not know where to comment. In my case, faced with the same problems, I decided to uninstall all of Cubase and start with a clean C8. When I decided to used CC Cleaner FREE to uninstall, I noticed there was also a "repair" option.
With nothing to lose (since I was planning to uninstall) I chose it. It took a couple of minutes doing "something", and suddenly mi Cubase 8.0.10 started working with no glitches at all!
When some problem reappeared a few days later, I did this "repair" again and since then (fingers crossed!!) all is working well again.
There is obviously something complicated going on, but I think it is not so much a Cubase failing, but, rather, a problem of interaction between so many different OS settings, plugins, etc.
Cubase Pro 10 | Windows 10 Pro 16gb i7-3770 64-bit | RME Fireface UCX | Nektar Panorama P1 | Akai Pro Advance 49 | Other Steinberg products: Halion 6

Rob B

Post by Rob B » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:11 pm

I also had the same issue with Cubase 8. I've been using Cubase for many years, often recording lengthy band sets, and though I've had occasional sonic glitches, Cubase would continue recording. But with the new Cubase 8, it would just stop and miss the rest of the set -- most annoying,
OK, so I should resolve the cause of the glitches, but that's a different issue. I had suspected the new ASIO Guard features, and I expect that disabling ASIO Guard will solve my problem.
However, though I recognize it's purpose and value, I'm reluctant to use the "Steinberg power scheme" on my laptop because it makes the fan run at (noisy) full speed.
BTW -- the glitches seem to be mostly due to network operations. Disconnecting or disabling (using Device Manager) the network seems to solve the problem on my studio (i5 mid-tower) system, on my VAIO laptop I also have to disable Wi-Fi and the "Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method battery". (Why the battery? Your guess is as good as mine.)
Unfortunately, to verify that ASIO Guard is the culprit, I'll have to bring back the glitches and test the system yet again. Later ...

JMO

Post by JMO » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:23 pm

I've started to record with Cubase LE, suffering the same issue. In my case, the problem's disappeared after deactivating the check "Activate Multi Processing".

I hope it helps

zak48

Post by zak48 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:41 pm

Same with me, the dropouts have only just started after several weeks of no dropout use. very annoying only happens while recording audio. (Cubase artist 8)

zak48

Post by zak48 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:43 pm

I have the same problem, first with the message "audio drop out detected" I was told to unclick the asio guard, which solved the recording stopping but it still jumps and skips beats. I am at my wits end. All I want to do is record mucic but all I seem to be doing is trying to solve problems for Steinberg. What to do????????????

Groove agent fix

Post by Groove agent fix » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:57 pm

Hi every body

i don't know if this helps or i'm just repeating what other people say but i had this problem

I thought of the recording levels and changed the buffer size with the sound card from 192 Hz 258 samples to 96hz 128 samples and don't know if this helps but it worked for me.

devices > devices at bottom>

SOUND CARD CONTROL PANEL

lower buffer size down to lower below 96hz.

i found a lot of producers even work at 48hz so may not be problem.

regards

kyleknapp

Post by kyleknapp » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:11 am

I typically run with a sample rate of 44100. I don't want to go any lower.

This problem is maddening, and seems to get steadily worse. I NEVER had this problem with versions 6 or 7 (or with Nuendo 1 thru 5 before that). I am absolutely crippled now...

Sometimes I get the "recording error: audio dropout detected" message, other times its "recording error: too many tracks recording" (even though I'm only recording one track...)

Everything I try (turning off all plugins, updating drivers, cleaning registry, disabling startup programs, reinstalling Cubase) seems to make it worse. I can't record more than a minute or two without crashing, and I have client sessions scheduled. Help!
~kyle

kyle knapp, Omaha NE USA
www.drycreekstudio.com | Cubase 9.5.21 | Windows 7 | Core i5 2400 | 16GB RAM | M-Audio Delta 1010

kyleknapp

Post by kyleknapp » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:26 am

I just tried recording with 8.0 and the same thing happens.

Tried again with 7.5 - NO PROBLEM, WORKS FINE!

Appears to be an 8/8.5 problem. I'll try rebuilding prefs and see if that helps. (I hate doing that, it's such a pain to get prefs set up again the way I like them. When is Steinberg going to include the ability to backup/rebuild prefs with a real user interface?
~kyle

kyle knapp, Omaha NE USA
www.drycreekstudio.com | Cubase 9.5.21 | Windows 7 | Core i5 2400 | 16GB RAM | M-Audio Delta 1010

kyleknapp

Post by kyleknapp » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:00 am

Well, I trashed & rebuilt prefs for 8.5, it SEEMS to have fixed the problem...
I'll post again after I've done more with it.
~kyle

kyle knapp, Omaha NE USA

Swurveman

Post by Swurveman » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:07 pm

kyleknapp wrote:Well, I trashed & rebuilt prefs for 8.5, it SEEMS to have fixed the problem...
I'll post again after I've done more with it.
Check out your Graphics Card. My Graphics card (ATI Ratdeon HD 5450) was the source of many of my Cubase problems. In my particular case, I had an older driver and was using the VGA chord to connect my PC to my monitor instead of the HDMI. When I updated the driver and used the HDMI connection lots of my issues in Cubase 8 cleared up. I know it's strange associating a simple monitor connection as the source of audio software problems, but that was the case for me.

krevvy

Post by krevvy » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:20 pm

ive had this from time to time for no random reason on 3 different systems
dell i5 laptop 8gb & 256gb ssd (RME UFX)
surface pro 4 i5 8gb 256gb ssd (RME UFX)
asus z170-a with i7 16gb 2356ggb (os) and 2TB 7200rpm sata drive (RME HDSP9652)

had multiple issues with asio guard on/off, at multiple buffers, while not exactly stressing the system, 20 tracks of 44.1/24bit, no fx or vsti running.

luckily i hadnt lost anything as running durec as a backup recording on the rme ufx.
but now i dont use cubase for live recording or anything critical, I use Reaper which is so much more stable and reliable.

Cubase i use more for mixing or creative stuff synths/midi, it just cannot be relied on in a live situation.

metrosuperstar

Post by metrosuperstar » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:40 pm

I just experienced this for the first time ever. On Cubase 8.5.15.
I was tracking vocals on separate lanes with one simple insert effect loaded.
My buffer size was set to 128 in Saffire MixControl.

I'm shocked and disappointed because I don't see how this could be taxing such a powerful desktop computer. :(
High-Performance and Ultra Quiet PC Which I Built Myself.... Fractal Design Define R3 | Seasonic X-650 Gold | Noctua NH-D14 Cooler | 64GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz | Intel Coffee Lake i7-9700K OC'd to 4.9 GHz | Asus Prime Z390-A | Crucial MX300 1TB (OS + Programs) | Crucial M4 128GB | WD Caviar Black 4TB x2 | WD Caviar Black 5TB | Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP | Windows 10 | Cubase Pro 10

pacorro

Post by pacorro » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:55 pm

Same problem here, working with Cubase 8.0.35 elements in windows 7

kyleknapp

Post by kyleknapp » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:23 pm

Trashing my preferences seemed to have helped for a couple weeks, But today the problem came back with a vengeance. I can't play 2 minutes of audio without a dropout, not to mention lots of crackly noises. Every time I try to record (only ONE track), I get the dreaded "Too Many Tracks Recording" message.

So I trashed my prefs AGAIN. This time it seems to have made no difference.
Grrr!
~kyle

kyle knapp, Omaha NE USA

kyleknapp

Post by kyleknapp » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:32 am

well, I haven't seen the "audio drop out" or "too many tracks" error messages for a few days, but the actual audible drop-outs have gotten much worse. I start playback on a project, it plays for 10 seconds or so, then starts cutting out every second or two. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling my ASIO driver. No change. Virus scan, nothing. I tried opening the same project in Cubase 6 (I never had this problem prior to 8.5). Nope, same thing happens.

I tried deleting all tracks I'm not using (an instance of Addictive Drums I decided not to use, and some muted tracks containing unused takes), and saving to a new filename. No joy.

I used DriverBlaster a few weeks ago to update all my drivers. That seemed to speed my computer up a little overall, and seemed to help this problem a little, but then it came back. Maybe one of the "old" drivers should have been left alone?

I also disabled every startup program I thought I could do without (though some I KNOW I don't want keep reinstalling themselves, such as AdobeReaderUpdater). I wonder if I disabled something important?

LatencyMon shows the driver with the highest ISR times is my ASIO driver (M-Audio Delta 1010), but it still shows it well within safe parameters. Moreover, last time this happened LatencyMon gave me the "Your system seems to have difficulty handling real-time audio..." warning within a minute or two of running, now it continues to say "Your system appears to be suitable...", even while I'm hearing the continuous dropouts.

LatencyMon DOES indicate a lot of "hard pagefaults" with high resolution times, almost entirely attributed to msmpeng (Microsoft Security Essentials). Turning off MSE's "realtime protection" has no effect. I've long suspected this to be a source of occasional problems (it tends to hog system resources from time to time, especially on boot-up), but never like this. Maybe it's time to switch to a different antivirus.

(... took a coffee break, came back a half-hour later...)

Suddenly now the dropouts only happen every 3 or 4 minutes or so. It's almost functional like this. But not quite.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
~kyle

kyle knapp, Omaha NE USA

pumafred

Post by pumafred » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:29 pm

Have you tried going to Programs and Features, and instead of uninstalling Cubase, choosing to Repair it?
That has made a difference for me in the past, and I do it occasionally.
No harm in trying...
Cubase Pro 10 | Windows 10 Pro 16gb i7-3770 64-bit | RME Fireface UCX | Nektar Panorama P1 | Akai Pro Advance 49 | Other Steinberg products: Halion 6

Return to “General”