Mouse causing ASIO performance spikes

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 8, Cubase Artist 8 and Cubase Elements 8 here.
WillB

Re: Mouse causing ASIO performance spikes

Post by WillB » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:47 pm

The past few days I have had an intermittent, irritatingly jerky and sluggish mouse (MS wireless mouse 5000 with fresh batteries) so I just removed the NVidia Experience software and the NVidia Audio Driver (It was disabled at all times) via Programs and Features and after an hour of use my mouse has been back to it's normal self again. Win 8.1
Nuendo 1, 2, 3 / Cubase 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. HP I7-6700k, RME UFX, Lenovo Thinkpad Workstation W540, RME UCX, Win 10 64b, Halion 5, RND 5033 5043, WaveLab 4-8, DMG EQ & Compression, Limitless RME ADI-8 2x, TAB 76m x2, Calrec PQ1061 x2, Ampex ATR-100 w/ LNP-2, Houston.

meta-redundant

Post by meta-redundant » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:56 am

After being driven crazy by this for a loooong time, I was just able to fix it by going into Preferences and disabling:

Editing --> Tools --> Select Tool: Show Extra info

To be clear, the box is now unchecked.

The problem I was having is that in addition to performance spikes, the entire GUI would also slow down when I would move the mouse across the project window (playback cursor would get jerky, meters would have severely reduced frame rate, etc). This would happen only in large projects.

I was originally able to fix it by reverting to a much older ATI driver, but then it reappeared again at some point during the Cubase life cycle. Now it is fixed again - I can verify it by enabling/disabling the Preference above. The problem reappears with it enabled, disappears with it disabled.

Might be worth trying if you are experiencing similar issues.
Cubase Pro 10 | Wavelab 9.5 | Intel i9 7940x | Win10 | RME Fireface UCX (via USB) | 64Gb Memory | CC121 | UAD Quad | Intel RAID SSD array | Raven MTi2

Codsworth

Post by Codsworth » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:28 am

meta-redundant wrote:After being driven crazy by this for a loooong time, I was just able to fix it by going into Preferences and disabling:

Editing --> Tools --> Select Tool: Show Extra info

To be clear, the box is now unchecked.

The problem I was having is that in addition to performance spikes, the entire GUI would also slow down when I would move the mouse across the project window (playback cursor would get jerky, meters would have severely reduced frame rate, etc). This would happen only in large projects.

I was originally able to fix it by reverting to a much older ATI driver, but then it reappeared again at some point during the Cubase life cycle. Now it is fixed again - I can verify it by enabling/disabling the Preference above. The problem reappears with it enabled, disappears with it disabled.

Might be worth trying if you are experiencing similar issues.
Thank you, will try :-)

Codsworth

Post by Codsworth » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:35 am

Unfortunately already had it unticked but cheers anyway :-)
Cubase Pro 10 latest build
Windows 10 64bit
Asus Z97 Pro wifi
Intel i7 4790K
16 gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz
Asus Nvidia Geforce GTX 960

monkeymanx

Post by monkeymanx » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:20 pm

I have this issue too. I thought I had it tackled by using an older Nvidia driver but that did not solve it. It took me awhile to realize it was due to the mouse. Then further investigation made me realize it also may be USB events that trigger it. For me I started noticing it when I moved to Windows 10. That may be due to having different USB drivers loaded for my motherboard in Windows 7. Also it seems tied to Cubase as I just tried it out and REAPER seemed to not spike.

Yutaka

Post by Yutaka » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:35 pm

While the mouse movements don't cause any problems, clicking on empty spaces in the project window definitely causes spikes. Spikes aren't high enough to cause any dropouts, but I see them in the meter. I don't remember seeing this in C6.

I have a Radeon HD7770 and Catalyst 15.7, BTW.

monkeymanx

Post by monkeymanx » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:12 pm

It does seem to be linked to an area on the canvas that is empty. Really odd. Is this also present when working in windows 7? Maybe I just didn't notice it before. It isn't present with OS X.

Yutaka

Post by Yutaka » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:33 pm

Yeah, I am on W7 Pro SP1 x64 here.

monkeymanx

Post by monkeymanx » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:40 pm

It's actually more than on a blank area. Open up a midi file and drag to select a bunch of notes and it spazzes out too. I'm surprised this hasn't gotten more attention. Maybe it is isolated to a certain chipset or driver set for USB based devices.

monkeymanx

Post by monkeymanx » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:32 am

Just for information. I have reinstalled Windows 7 and loaded the mother board drivers provided by Asus and have no problems now. So for me the problem is linked to Windows 10 somehow. The solution for me, don't use Windows 10.

Yutaka

Post by Yutaka » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:34 am

monkeymanx wrote:It's actually more than on a blank area. Open up a midi file and drag to select a bunch of notes and it spazzes out too. I'm surprised this hasn't gotten more attention. Maybe it is isolated to a certain chipset or driver set for USB based devices.
Yeah, the area selection rectangle in the midi editor would give me bigger spikes here, too.

On my machine, this is more noticeable if I have the ASIO guard turned off, though. With AG turned on, the spikes are small enough it is hard to notice. Now that I know what to look for, I can see it, but otherwise I would not have noticed it.

I think it might be the area selection rectangle that's causing the spikes rather than USB. USB related problem should happen no matter where you are clicking on, but when I click on empty area in inspector or the top area of mixer, I don't get any spikes. The "clicking in empty area" thing should actually trigger the selection rectangle, and I think that's what's causing the momentary spikes.

Patanjali

Post by Patanjali » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:43 am

Codsworth wrote:Asus z97 pro wifi
Are you actually using the WiFi capability of the motherboard?

The WiFi software stack can interfere with DAW operations.

I would suggest using only a wired Ethernet connection, as they tend to require a lot less overhead.

If you must use WiFi with your DAW:
1. Buy a WiFi bridge, which is essentially an external WiFi client, with Ethernet wired connection(s).
2. Totally remove the WiFi card and drivers.
___ If you can't remove the WiFi hardware, ensure it is disabled in Device Manager, and then remove the drivers.
3. Connect your DAW to the WiFi bridge with an Ethernet cable.
4. Setup the WiFi bridge for your WiFi network.
Patanjali
Comp: i7-4930K : Asus P9X79-E WS : 32GB : GTX 1050 : SSDx7 : UAD2Q : TCL 49C2US x2.
HW: YRG : uKEY2 : UR44.
SW: Dual boot Win10P : Cubase 8.0.30 Pro 64 : RX4Adv : Ozone6Adv : Goliath/SO/Pianos/Gypsy/SV : Sup.Drum 2

Codsworth

Post by Codsworth » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:12 am

Patanjali wrote:
Codsworth wrote:Asus z97 pro wifi
Are you actually using the WiFi capability of the motherboard?

The WiFi software stack can interfere with DAW operations.

I would suggest using only a wired Ethernet connection, as they tend to require a lot less overhead.

If you must use WiFi with your DAW:
1. Buy a WiFi bridge, which is essentially an external WiFi client, with Ethernet wired connection(s).
2. Totally remove the WiFi card and drivers.
___ If you can't remove the WiFi hardware, ensure it is disabled in Device Manager, and then remove the drivers.
3. Connect your DAW to the WiFi bridge with an Ethernet cable.
4. Setup the WiFi bridge for your WiFi network.
Thank you Patanjali, i'll give it a go, cheers :D
Windows 10 64bit
Asus Z97 Pro wifi
Intel i7 4790K

audiophobic

Post by audiophobic » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:21 am

Hi, had exactly the same problem using EWQL Spaces (based on the Play engine) and the built-in intel HD4600 graphics on both my i5 and brand new haswell i7 machines - solved it in one stroke by going to control panel - mouse - pointers and choosing Windows Inverted (system scheme).

It does change your mouse cursor to a black silhouette - but took away all of my CPU spikes/glitches whenever the mouse moved. Give it a go!

Andy

Patanjali

Post by Patanjali » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:36 am

Codsworth wrote:Thank you Patanjali, i'll give it a go, cheers :D
You're welcome.

It may or may not help in your current situation, but it may save you from hiccups and frustration later.
Patanjali
Comp: i7-4930K : Asus P9X79-E WS : 32GB : GTX 1050 : SSDx7 : UAD2Q : TCL 49C2US x2.
SW: Dual boot Win10P : Cubase 8.0.30 Pro 64 : RX4Adv : Ozone6Adv : Goliath/SO/Pianos/Gypsy/SV : Sup.Drum 2

Codsworth

Post by Codsworth » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:29 am

audiophobic wrote:Hi, had exactly the same problem using EWQL Spaces (based on the Play engine) and the built-in intel HD4600 graphics on both my i5 and brand new haswell i7 machines - solved it in one stroke by going to control panel - mouse - pointers and choosing Windows Inverted (system scheme).

It does change your mouse cursor to a black silhouette - but took away all of my CPU spikes/glitches whenever the mouse moved. Give it a go!

Andy
Cheers audiophobic i'll take a look :D

monkeymanx

Post by monkeymanx » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:39 pm

I have read that this issue is going to be taken care of with the .30 upcoming release.

Codsworth

Post by Codsworth » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:52 pm

monkeymanx wrote:I have read that this issue is going to be taken care of with the .30 upcoming release.
Great news monkeymanx & thank you :)
Windows 10 64bit
Asus Z97 Pro wifi
Intel i7 4790K

Xtigma

Post by Xtigma » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:52 pm

monkeymanx wrote:I have read that this issue is going to be taken care of with the .30 upcoming release.
that's great news, where did you read that?

monkeymanx

Post by monkeymanx » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:28 pm

Xtigma wrote:
that's great news, where did you read that?
Over at the Gearslutz forum.

Patanjali

Post by Patanjali » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:25 am

monkeymanx wrote:Over at the Gearslutz forum.
Link please!
Patanjali

monkeymanx

Post by monkeymanx » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:05 am

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/11299882-post13.html

It was in response after I talked about the problem.

Patanjali

Post by Patanjali » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:40 am

norbury brook on Gearslutz forum wrote:there's a fix coming for Cubase 8 and windows 10 any day now I would suspect.
The bold is my emphasis, as, no matter how well reasoned, it is an opinion, rather than a fact. Of course, he may be privy to inside information that may give him cause to make that statement. Time will tell.
Patanjali

Sle

Post by Sle » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:35 pm

Not surprised to see this still bubbling along. Moving parts and midi notes, using the scissors tool, causes CPU spikes, end of.

Three systems with win10, 8.1 and 7 I've seen it with. Does make me wonder whether the "Working fine here!" people are actually doing an awful lot of editing to be honest..

Xtigma

Post by Xtigma » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:44 pm

Sle wrote:Not surprised to see this still bubbling along. Moving parts and midi notes, using the scissors tool, causes CPU spikes, end of.

Three systems with win10, 8.1 and 7 I've seen it with. Does make me wonder whether the "Working fine here!" people are actually doing an awful lot of editing to be honest..
Frustrating indeed, I think I have almost programmed my brain to ignore clicks and jumps now...

Return to “General”