Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan status update on compatibility

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 8, Cubase Artist 8 and Cubase Elements 8 here.
Patanjali

Re: Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan status update on compatibility

Post by Patanjali »

So the catch phrase needs to be altered to 'It just works, ..... eventually!'
Patanjali
Comp: i7-4930K : Asus P9X79-E WS : 32GB : GTX 1050 : SSDx7 : UAD2Q : TCL 49C2US x2.
HW: YRG : uKEY2 : UR44.
SW: Dual boot Win10P : Cubase 8.0.30 Pro 64 : RX4Adv : Ozone6Adv : Goliath/SO/Pianos/Gypsy/SV : Sup.Drum 2

SuStudio

Post by SuStudio »

Patanjali wrote:So the catch phrase needs to be altered to 'It just works, ..... eventually!'
Of course for some people facts are a nuisance that can't compete with the frustrations of youth and entitlement.
Cubase 10 - Wavelab 7.2.1 - Cubasis 2.5 & ICPro
Mac Pro Quad 3.7 Ghz 32GB, OSX 10.14
Macbook Pro 2.77 Ghz 8GB, OXS 10.12.6
UA Apollo Twin Quad MKII, G-Tech Raid, True P-Solo, innumerable VSTi & plug-ins.

gkillmaster

Post by gkillmaster »

Is there still going to be a pre 8.5 update?
Cubase Pro, latest OSX Sierra, 2015 iMac i7, 24 GB memory, Scarlett 2i2 Audio interface, iConnectMIDI2+ MIDI interface.

Lerxst

Post by Lerxst »

Can't answer that. I just realised that the latest Cubase 8.0 works perfectly fine on my system.

gkillmaster

Post by gkillmaster »

Lerxst wrote:Can't answer that. I just realised that the latest Cubase 8.0 works perfectly fine on my system.
Was hoping Ed might respond about this
Cubase Pro, latest OSX Sierra, 2015 iMac i7, 24 GB memory, Scarlett 2i2 Audio interface, iConnectMIDI2+ MIDI interface.

Lerxst

Post by Lerxst »

Reasonable.

However, some has now spent over 12 pages criticizing Steinberg for being late with a fix for El Capitan. Some went so far they even forgot what the first post was about. You know who you are.

Programmers, IT Administrators, all musicians - you throw them in the mix as you like. Every single person seemingly knowing much more than the developers at Steinberg, on how easy it is to make Cubase 8.0 OS X 10.11 ready, and how they should do their job. As if they had first hand access to Cubase's source code.
So the next 8.0 El Capitan fix is due to around 22.12, and at least on my system 8.0 works flawlessly after the OS X update, so maybe someone should consider if critiizing Steinberg was perhaps aiming at the wrong target after all.

Patanjali

Post by Patanjali »

Lerxst wrote:However, ... criticizing Steinberg for being late ..., so maybe someone should consider if critiizing Steinberg was perhaps aiming at the wrong target after all.
What you say is much of what I was trying to suggest all along, BUT Steinberg DID eventually admit the they had to fix up their programs, AND that they had not communicated properly during the whole process, the latter being the main complaint on this thread.
Now, while the fact that 8.0.xx may now work on the latest build of El Capitan meant that Apple had to do something their end to get things working, that does not mitigate against SB's failings in this instance.
Patanjali
Comp: i7-4930K : Asus P9X79-E WS : 32GB : GTX 1050 : SSDx7 : UAD2Q : TCL 49C2US x2.
HW: YRG : uKEY2 : UR44.
SW: Dual boot Win10P : Cubase 8.0.30 Pro 64 : RX4Adv : Ozone6Adv : Goliath/SO/Pianos/Gypsy/SV : Sup.Drum 2

lebouch

Post by lebouch »

Lerxst wrote:Reasonable.

However, some has now spent over 12 pages criticizing Steinberg for being late with a fix for El Capitan. Some went so far they even forgot what the first post was about. You know who you are.

Programmers, IT Administrators, all musicians - you throw them in the mix as you like. Every single person seemingly knowing much more than the developers at Steinberg, on how easy it is to make Cubase 8.0 OS X 10.11 ready, and how they should do their job. As if they had first hand access to Cubase's source code.
So the next 8.0 El Capitan fix is due to around 22.12, and at least on my system 8.0 works flawlessly after the OS X update, so maybe someone should consider if critiizing Steinberg was perhaps aiming at the wrong target after all.
Wow. Arrogant much? Arrive at the end of a 12 page (yikes!) thread and dismiss everyone's views, purely because Cubase works 'flawlessly' on your system?

FYI, Cubase doesn't work 'flawlessly' on anyone's system. It's riddled with bugs - check out some other threads for details. But that's another story.

And yes, damn right Steinberg should do their job. Their software is expensive and relies totally on an OS to work. It should be their absolute priority to keep up to date with both OSX and Windows, whether they like it or not. Maybe OSX wasn't broken - maybe it just changed. And if so, Cubase has to change with it. Nobody said it was easy for Steinberg but hey, them's the breaks.

As Patanjali covered, Steinberg admitted there was a problem at their end, that they only started seriously looking at it after the public release of OSX, and then (as usual) were slightly opaque in their communication.

Leave aside the dubious ploy of 'it can't be fixed until 22/12. Unless you pay now'..
C8, Halion 4.5, Komplete 9u, Arturia V4, Omnisphere, Oddity 2, PPG Wave 3.V, Scarlett 18i6, iMac.

haraldsson

Post by haraldsson »

Happy customer here... there have been some issues and there have been some delays - and I try to keep myself updated on info about possible problems regarding updates, and in that way, avoid - mostly - problems.

The most important thing for me is that I have an optimized system - and if that includes a little waiting - or paying for upgrades - that fine with me.

This whole thing about who is responsible for possible issues is of no meaning to me. Keeping a system optimized includes many players.
Best regards,
Hjörtur Haraldsson Blöndal

Hardware:
Apple - iMac 27" 4.2 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16GB Ram - macOS 10.15.7 Catalina
Steinberg UR22C Audio Interface

Host:
Steinberg - Cubase Pro 11

lebouch

Post by lebouch »

haraldsson wrote:Happy customer here... there have been some issues and there have been some delays - and I try to keep myself updated on info about possible problems regarding updates....
Very sensible. Heck, there are still people who refuse to move from Leopard because their system works well - and more power to them. With respect though, you miss the point in that not everyone can keep their system optimised for just Cubase. And paying for updates to fix things is just wrong, IMHO.
C8, Halion 4.5, Komplete 9u, Arturia V4, Omnisphere, Oddity 2, PPG Wave 3.V, Scarlett 18i6, iMac.

paulpaul

Post by paulpaul »

[quote="lebouch" And paying for updates to fix things is just wrong, IMHO.[/quote]

Hm, this is a lot of work and effort for a software company. Why should that be for free?
They have to pay their bills as you and i have to do. And my observation is, that Steinberg has been very good in providing reliable software in the last years. There is no perfection and will never be, but hey, It's close....

Regards,
Paul
Cubase 10.5.20 - Macbook Pro 16" late 2019, 16GB Ram, 2TB SSD, 50" 4k TV-Display - MAC OS 10.15.5 SPL Crimson - Steinberg CC121 - Softube Console 1 - Lots of Plug Ins

Lerxst

Post by Lerxst »

lebouch wrote:
FYI, Cubase doesn't work 'flawlessly' on anyone's system. It's riddled with bugs - check out some other threads for details. But that's another story.
Then maybe it's time to realize Cubase is not the correct DAW for you, and start looking for an alternative.

I'm sure you'll be quite satisfied with the rest of the lot.

Ed Doll
Site Admin

Post by Ed Doll »

Maybe it's about time to close this topic. Cubase 8.5 is El Capitan compatible and Cubase 8.0.x will receive an update on Dec 22nd. I'll add the link to the knowledge base article on the first page so that no one misses that important information.
Ed Doll, Support Manager
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany

Connect with Steinberg on Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram and SoundCloud!

Return to “General”