8.5 mediabay still re-scanning my user content at startup!

This is the problem. USER CONTENT. Apologies if I sound presumptuous, but I’m not sure if everyone understands this.

In USER CONTENT when you UN-CHECK a box, it will be RE-CHECKED upon Cubase re-starting. If the user unchecks a box and Cubase checks it upon opening, that is not good! As a matter of fact, that completely ruins my method of categorizing VST presets.

What did it fix?

Did you go to your user content, uncheck some boxes, then restart Cubase and those boxes remain unchecked?

Still waiting for someone to explain why this horrible behavior is “per design.”

Re-scanning of Media Bay is fine I think every time you start Cubase. But the automatic checking of boxes when the user has purposely left some boxes unchecked in the user folder is not fine!

Would anyone else please confirm this? Is there an option I need to change?

(apologies, please click on “untitled” first, then greg2 and then greg 4.)

Hi greggybud

Re-scanning of Media Bay is fine I think every time you start Cubase

Have to disagree with this, it is not fine. In my case I want to have every user preset folder enabled (ticked)so it is available for me straight away. The fact that Cubase re-checks unchecked locations is another side effect of current Mediabays appaling behaviour.

As it is, when I start cubase and go to a track preset…the dam ‘scanning’ image appears over the preset window until all the user VST3 presets and Track presets have been scanned again. Steinberg honestly wants to waste my time with me waiting for presests to appear every launch?
BY DESIGN! …ridiculous.

Of course Media bay needs to be able to ‘update’ scan to see if any locations and contents have changed but this ‘rescanning and the rechecking issue is a joke’

If I’m not misunderstanding you, then everything works as you like it? What you don’t like is the re-scan and the time it takes? The re-scan I believe simply check marks everything which is what you say you want.

In my case there are some boxes I want left unchecked, but the rescan checks them…not good.

not sure we are quite on the same page yet:-) let me try and be clearer.

If I’m not misunderstanding you, then everything works as you like it?

Absolutely not, everything does not work as I or I believe anyone else would like it. (except maybe Steinberg, which is astounding)

What you don’t like is the re-scan and the time it takes?

absolutely correct, this is completely stupid behaviour and needs changing back to how it worked in C6.

The re-scan I believe simply check marks everything which is what you say you want.

Regarding this issue and the discussed locations the-rescan that occurs in Mediabay ALSO check marks everything that was unchecked ASWELL AS making the re-scan. No I do not want this.
This again is undesirable behaviour and needs addressing by Steinberg.

In my case there are some boxes I want left unchecked, but the rescan checks them…not good.

I agree with you, the user should be able to leave boxes unchecked without them being automaticallty re-checked.

I hope we can agree there are two different issues going on stemming from the same issue. Neither of which are at all good.

This to me is another worrying indication that Steinberg cannot currently get the basic functionality of its product right!

Hope this has cleared things up.

All the best

Attached here again is the official Steinberg statement on the matter, an unbeleivable failure on their part:

Hello,

the reported behaviour identified as BON-7138 has been closed because it is not a bug, but per Design. The implementation works as intended and it was introduced with Cubase 7.x

The Media bay should only re-scan ‘VST Sound user content’ and ‘VST3 preset folders’ Track presets each time. All other locations stay blue and will not be re-scanned.

Same here. Never been addressed by Steinberg.
Reported it in the Bug section of the forum and it got bumped since it’s not a Bug according to the moderator.
Yeah okay. Not a bug then I guess. :imp:

Can someone please explain what function it does serve?

Seems its like that millisecond delay when selecting the stock EQ db slope… :wink:

Its just there to bug you… Obviously…lol :stuck_out_tongue:

I have made multiple posts at Gearslutz without any success.

My conclusion is that most users don’t care much about it. I gave a practical example of how I organize presets and how the re-scan automatically checks boxes I want deliberately left unchecked which makes preset organization worthless, or at the very best, much more difficult. But apparently, preset organization isn’t high on anyone’s priorities, or users don’t understand how they can take advantage of Media Bays preset organization for much faster workflow.

With that said, the problem I see with this topic is that people posting here are complaining about not liking the auto-scan, but so far other than my preset example, I haven’t read any practical examples of how this lousy auto-scan negatively effects other users. If anyone can give examples other than mine, bring them on! I think this is the way to get Steinberg to change their minds or at least make it an option.

ckon mentioned the amount of time the re-scan takes. For myself it doesn’t take very long. Are there any other examples users can explain as to how the auto-scan is negatively effecting them?

FWIW, one moderator here understands the issue and said it should at least be an option to turn off auto-scan and he would pass it on…whatever that means.

Yeah, that makes total sense. Why can I browse for non-VST preset files (Audio files from my drive etc) when it doesn’t work. It’s called media bay for a reason, right?
IT IS A BUG!

can anyone confirm if this bug is fixed in Cubase 9 ?

Hi,
can not confirm it.

cubase 9…same problem

And all the while they sat with their fingers in their ears refusing to listen and do anything about it.

Still using 8.5.3 not updating to 9.

By design, they make me sit and wait to use any presets after startup until all the user presets are re-scanned.

Cubase 6, last version without this issue. Very poor, and it goes on and on and on. ( not only this)

I’m not sure I know what you are talking about when you say “music organizer” and “music envelope.”

Do you mean by default the C>Users folder, the folder that automatically gets scanned upon Cubase opening every time?

I would love to move certain folders out of the “monitored” or C>users folder, but how am I going to be able to save any VST or VSTI presets? By default when you save any preset it’s going to save that in the C>users folder the folder that gets automatically scanned every time when opening Cubase.

And secondly, while you read my personal issue about Media Bay automatically checking folders that the user wants left unchecked, the larger issue here is that the scan should be controlled by the user. The scan takes too much time for some users. For myself, when I open Cubase I open it using the Steinberg Hub to select my templates. But I have to wait a while because Media Bay is doing a scan and won’t show all template options until the scan is complete.

Yes. And the point is: in all versions before 8.5 it didn’t happen.

Anyone help me with pointers to how to get rid of the Mediabay scanning icon and show files that are in the selected folder please?

Click on a simple folder with maybe only 5 wav files, audio is selected and the scanning countdown seems to be showing several hundred and just the logo showing.

Very frustrating and making mediabay totally redundant.

im sure there’s a simpe fix or setting Im missing, any help please?

Thanks

Has there been any resolution to this issue, it’s started happening to me on 9.5 too?

I am in the same boat as you jonwright:

Mediabay always keeps scanning VST3 presets, in my user folder.
The very weird thing is that all the VST3 presets once were scanned fully complete, cause all the VST3 preset folders from all my plugins were colored WHITE then in Mediabay, meaning those folders were ready scanned 100%.
But next time i open Cubase and i open Mediabay (be it as seperate window or in Right Zone), i can’t select any media cause the scan process kicks in again and takes forever (err, well let’s say about 5 minutes), to have scanned all the VST3 plugin presets folders again.
I disabled the VST3 presets folder many times in Mediabay, but next time i start Cubase, it’s again selected and so it isnt anymore excluded from scan.

So i just can’t use Mediabay at this point, so frustrating…unworkable …