8.5 mediabay still re-scanning my user content at startup!

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 8, Cubase Artist 8 and Cubase Elements 8 here.
ckon

8.5 mediabay still re-scanning my user content at startup!

Post by ckon » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:47 pm

I was hoping that in 8.5 I might have seen the back of this but no. I am not the only user to experience this either.

Mediabay re-scans every folder under user content at every start up of Cubase, it fails to recall the scan and has to do it again every time. And with the inclusion of the new scanning notice in mediabay in V8.5 it is even more annoying because I just have to sit there and wait for it to complete the scan before you can even use mediabay.

I have tried everything to try and solve this without any luck and Cubase 6 does not do this!!.

Sigh, sending another support ticket

Cheers
ckon:

C Pro 8.5.2 (and all previous)
Win7 - x64
Main host system:
i7 3770k - 4.5GHZ, 32GB RAM, OS on SSD
Museum DAW: Apple Mac LCII Opcode Studio Vision

Martin.Jirsak
Grand Master

Re: 8.5 mediabay still re-scanning my user content at startu

Post by Martin.Jirsak » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:44 pm

Hi,

Because I could imagine, you already answered many common questions, I have (another) one. :-) Do you have write permissions for those folders? If I'm right, MediaBay writes its own (hidden) file to the scanned folder, as a result of scanning. So, the question is, if the file is available, if Cubase is allowed to write to the folder.
Martin Jirsak
http://www.cubase-training.com/EN/

Cubase Pro (last officially supported version all the time)

ckon

Post by ckon » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:09 pm

Hi Martin

Running as admin and all folder have correct security permissions and can be written to fine, honestly, this has me stumped. Tried earlier making a temporary new admin user account to see if it would do it there.....same behaviour there too unfortunately.
ckon:

Win7 - x64
Main host system:

ckon

Post by ckon » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:46 am

this is nuts, just tried again with Cubase 6.07(I already know it works but wanted to remind myself) and mediabay behaves as it should do. It does not need to re-scan and all the default user folders and contents are there every start up.Why the heck is Cubase 7 and 8 not able to retain its scanned user folders in Mediabay?, I am out of patience with this.

I would not be that bothered but as track presets are there as part of the mediabay database I have to wait for the mediabay to repopulate them before I can get access to the track presets!

Now totally convinced this has been an unresolved bug in mediabay since version 7, no other explanation I can see anymore.

Shame really, also, the multi track toggle timebase (over 4 years waiting) and many other little improvements are pretty good.But.....why so long Steinberg with certain features and fixes?
ckon:

Win7 - x64
Main host system:

ckon

Post by ckon » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:07 am

Could someone who is running windows please check the following to see if this behaviour is present on your system. Preferably you will have a lot of track presets and presets in the user VST3 folder in documents.

Make the following settings for media bay and then re-start Cubase 8/8.5. Upon re-starting go straight to the mediabay and see if the User folders are being re-scanned at each start (red blue change etc).

Follow settings in the attachment image

Tested on Windows 7 x64 on my main system and a windows 10 x64 slave system, same issue every single time.

So what is Cubase 6 mediabay doing differently to work correctly Steinberg? Could be some time before I get official personal support response.

Many Thanks if you can help out with looking into this.
Attachments
mediabay settings.jpg
try these settings and check for re-scanning at each re-launch
(163.81 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by ckon on Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ckon:

Win7 - x64
Main host system:

ckon

Post by ckon » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:20 am

oh, and who made the ridiculous idea of implementing a splash screen over the results window while media bay is scanning? This makes the problem even worse than in V7 and 8!

At least my large templates seem to be re-enabling disabled tracks correctly now with their settings. (many users know what I am talking about here)----update, nope still not fixed!!!

Massive sigh!
Attachments
scanning splash screen.png
Why?
(16.23 KiB) Not downloaded yet
ckon:

Win7 - x64
Main host system:

ckon

Post by ckon » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:59 pm

First of many BUMPS until this gets sorted.(amongst other issues)

Notably Cubase 7 introduced the 'mediaservice.dll' in components which Cubase 6 did not have. Disabling 'mediaservice.dll' will not allow Mediabay to run. Maybe 'mediaservice.dll' could be part of the problem.

It is irrelevant if you do not actually desire to use mediabay. This is because Track presets/VST presets etc rely on successful database building using the mediabay. This makes the issue a very big deal!

If you do not have this issue please do not add to this post. Thanks
Last edited by ckon on Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
ckon:

Win7 - x64
Main host system:

Konektor

Post by Konektor » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:57 am

+1

ckon

Post by ckon » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:56 am

Konektor wrote:+1
Appreciated.
ckon:

Win7 - x64
Main host system:

Telogic

Post by Telogic » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:53 pm

+1 Im having trouble with rescans on mac OS X 10.10.5 it's driving me mad!
Cubase 8.0.10 mac pro 6 core 3.3ghz 16gb ram,MR816x ,cc121, Novation impulse, access virus, krk vxt speakers, UAD2 cards, Wavelab 8.05 many many plugin's and some old outboard and synths.
Telogic aka Logicaldream

Winter Rat

Post by Winter Rat » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:35 pm

+1
Cubase 9.5
Win 8.1, Intel Core i7-4770, Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H, 16 GB, GeForce GTX 1050.

peachy

Post by peachy » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:33 pm

I had that problem, but was simply resolved by deleting the database that the upgrade had migrated from the previous version, probably a permissions thing, and letting Cubase reindex it.
Intel i7 5820K, Intel X-99, 32 gig corsair RAM, Nvidia 1080, 4k monitor, Windows 10 64 bit, Steinberg UR824, Cubase 9 Pro, HALion 6, Groove Agent 4. SoundToys, U-He, NI, Moog. and 30 years of other kit....

ckon

Post by ckon » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:41 am

peachy wrote:I had that problem, but was simply resolved by deleting the database that the upgrade had migrated from the previous version, probably a permissions thing, and letting Cubase reindex it.
Thanks, but been down this road, happens on virgin preferances, completely rebuilt (with new mediabay.db) with no migration from earlier builds. It's screwed up on all systems I have. All admin, and permissions O.K.

I have already mentioned here that on exact same systems Cubase 6 does not do this and works correctly, It is a V7-8 issue.
ckon:

Win7 - x64
Main host system:

MFX

Post by MFX » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:19 am

Same problem. Mediabay appears to be broken or I've not found the solution, what has changed?

Getting the same as ckon
ckon wrote:oh, and who made the ridiculous idea of implementing a splash screen over the results window while media bay is scanning? This makes the problem even worse than in V7 and 8!

At least my large templates seem to be re-enabling disabled tracks correctly now with their settings. (many users know what I am talking about here)----update, nope still not fixed!!!

Massive sigh!

Not working, tried refresh disk, quick rescan (which was fine in 8.0.3).

Any tips, solutions, fix...this is a key work feature for me.
Win8.1 Cubase7.5. Wavelab 7. 64bit
Quneo.Maschine.
NI Komplete.Waves Mercury.Slate Digital.Soundtoys.XilsLab.Korg.
Fireface 800.Virus Ti.Fireworx.Adams.Korg.Roland JD800.JV1080

ckon

Post by ckon » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:42 pm

MFX wrote:Not working, tried refresh disk, quick rescan (which was fine in 8.0.3).

As far as I can see there are zero workarounds apart from completely removing the USER contents /VST3/Track presets etc (which obviously is not a workaround or a solution!). Even if the contents are removed those locations are still re-scanned but the scan will happen almost instantly as there will be nothing to scan.
scans every launch.png
(6.85 KiB) Not downloaded yet
ckon:

Win7 - x64
Main host system:

MFX

Post by MFX » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:45 pm

ckon wrote:
MFX wrote:Not working, tried refresh disk, quick rescan (which was fine in 8.0.3).

As far as I can see there are zero workarounds apart from completely removing the USER contents /VST3/Track presets etc (which obviously is not a workaround or a solution!). Even if the contents are removed those locations are still re-scanned but the scan will happen almost instantly as there will be nothing to scan.
scans every launch.png
I've managed to get a solution to my issue. All working as it should be.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/steinbe ... lease.html
Quneo.Maschine.

ckon

Post by ckon » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:25 pm

MFX wrote:
ckon wrote:

scans every launch.png
I've managed to get a solution to my issue. All working as it should be.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/steinbe ... lease.html
Hi

Not the same issue as what I have outlined here, this is not the same thing.

All the best
ckon:

Win7 - x64
Main host system:

MFX

Post by MFX » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:39 pm

ckon wrote:
Hi

Not the same issue as what I have outlined here, this is not the same thing.

All the best
Apologies, used your jpeg for illustration with mine. Hope you resolve your workflow.

M
Quneo.Maschine.

bigsoundsgood

Post by bigsoundsgood » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:30 pm

Same here. Rebuilding the index and also with a complete fresh set of prefs didn't change anything. Hopefully they will fix it.
iMac, Cubase Pro 9.0.20.209, 10.12.4, UR28M, iConnectMIDI4+, etc.

ckon

Post by ckon » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:10 pm

bigsoundsgood wrote:Same here. Rebuilding the index and also with a complete fresh set of prefs didn't change anything. Hopefully they will fix it.
Still not fixed in 8.0.35

I honestly have lost hope for the team fixing this, it is such an old issue and has been part of the 'solved issues' list for so long now, it is difficult to trust that it will be addressed.

Some confirmation would be really helpful, especially as the tailback for private support requests is obviously extremely long.
ckon:

Win7 - x64
Main host system:

peakae

Post by peakae » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:31 pm

From what I gather there are only very few that got that problem, and it might be impossible to fix without a clear reproducible way of triggering the rescan.
However that got me thinking, "what is different from my setup, where I don't have the problem"
There was a post a few days ago regarding Cubase misbehaving when using ) and ( in the file name.
Is there any chance that any file that is being scanned into the media bay have such characters ?
Just a thought.
Cubase Pro 9.5, Wavelab Elements 9, I7 3770K , win10x64, 16Gb Ram, RME Raydat, Steinberg MR816x, Motu 828mkII, Behringer ADA8200, Yamaha moXF6, Steinberg UR242, Yamaha THR 10, Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus, CMC TP, CMC CH.

ckon

Post by ckon » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:12 pm

peakae wrote:From what I gather there are only very few that got that problem, and it might be impossible to fix without a clear reproducible way of triggering the rescan.
However that got me thinking, "what is different from my setup, where I don't have the problem"
There was a post a few days ago regarding Cubase misbehaving when using ) and ( in the file name.
Is there any chance that any file that is being scanned into the media bay have such characters ?
Just a thought.
Hey Peakae, yeah I remember from sometime ago that you were one of those who apparently never had this issue which makes it even more frustrating my end. I repeat, there are no strange or un-accepted file characters in any of the preset names and as I mentioned earlier Cubase 6 will happily work normally with every single one of the same presets and does not automatically repeat scan on launch (same system, same everything!).

Why Steinberg confirmed this Issue and quoted it as fixed last year is totally beyond me.
viewtopic.php?f=232&t=69731

Yeah if there is anything that is different in your system that stops this issue from manifesting itself I sure would like to know what it is, because as far as I can see there is no good reason why my setup would cause this.

All the best
ckon:

Win7 - x64
Main host system:

bigsoundsgood

Post by bigsoundsgood » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:14 pm

What makes me wondering is that this issue appears on Windows systems and on OSX. Will check this now on another Mac with fresh installed Cubase Pro 8.5.

Update: So its the same, which leads me to the conclusion it has nothing to do with my setup a.s.o.. But it looks like, same with the nasty video bug, some bugs will never be sorted out by Steinberg.

Update2: Cubase 8.0.35.565 no scanning on startup. So 8.5 introduced this annoying "feature".

Update3: Just tried to deselect scan place in mediabay. But the set checkmark cannot be edited. Clicking on it causing nothing. Same clicking on the remove button. So there seems to be really something wrong with the new medially.

Update4: The more I am digging into it, the more it starts to f..setup me. Was meanwhile able to deselect. But after restart of Cubase, the checkmark are back again. Looks like the new mediabay is a nightmare :-(
iMac, Cubase Pro 9.0.20.209, 10.12.4, UR28M, iConnectMIDI4+, etc.

ckon

Post by ckon » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:36 pm

Update: So its the same, which leads me to the conclusion it has nothing to do with my setup
Agreed:

right now I really don't care anymore what anyone else says about this if they don't have this problem, it is a bug and it needs addressing. Cubase 6 working correctly makes me 100% convinced this needs sorting and unfortunately those of us who see this issue are again in the hands of the programmers, it's gone on long enough.

Yes the design for the way mediabay scans was changed from V6 to V7and8
ckon:

Win7 - x64
Main host system:

Home Studio 87

Post by Home Studio 87 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:58 pm

For me & some other student I have, the problem beguin with Cubase 7 and still there in Cubase 8.5. fresh instal or not the problem still there.
Gigabyte GA-X99P-SLI / Intel Corei7 6800k / 32 Go DDR4 / 3x SSD / Win 10 Pro x64 / UAD Apollo Twin USB / UAD2 Satellite Octo USB / UAD2 Octo PCIe / Cubase Pro 9 x64 / VEP6 / D-Touch Cubase / Console 1 / CMC Controllers / Faderport / iPad 3 Lemur... /

Return to “General”