How to Control Cubase Transport (start/stop) via Foot Switch

I want to use Cubase Pro for playing back Audio Tracks in my LIVE setup; using the Arranger Mode it seems like this won’t be a problem.

Is there a way to control the Cubase Pro 8 transport (start/stop) via a Foot Switch (connected to my controller keyboard)?

This is the only function I can’t figure out how to get setup, thanks in advance for any help. My apologies if this has been previously asked and answered.

~Ciao

Hi there

One way to this, which I use although not with Cubase, is Bomes midi translator, I think there’s a free version, and set up the footswitch up to either trigger a KC or actually control the mouse with it to press start on the transport. I think there might also be a way using the generic remote although I haven’t tried it.

Best Regards

Dave

Hi,

Yes, there is a way. Use Devices > Device Setup, and add a Generic Remote Device. Set the MIDI Input port. On the upper part, set the controller 64 as a source. In the lower part, set Command > Transport > Start/Stop (don’t use Transport > Device, because there is not Start/Stop, but there is dedicated Start and dedicated Stop only).

2 Likes

This can be really cheap and simple - I purchased a generic USB foot-switch a few years back. Just search eBay and you’ll find loads of them - some with just one switch, and some with 2,3 or more - I can see loads there now for about £15.

These devices come with piece of driver software and a control panel that allows you to assign the key-stroke of your choice to each switch. For live ‘stop/start’ function, just assign ‘space bar’ and off you go. Clearly this method connects to your computer rather than to the MIDI port on your keyboard.

In the studio it’s a great way to get the benefit of needing to use the mouse and keyboard less - especially if you are musician that’s recording yourself, and you need two or more pairs of hands. Your feet start to become part of your controls…keyboard players and pedal steel players, and guitarists with effects pedals will know all about this.

Thanks @Martin.Jirsak,

Took me a short while to figure out how to add the Generic Device and get it configured, but it works. Exactly what I needed!

~Ciao

I am still looking for a USB foot switch for start, stop and record. Since I use a MacBook I can’t use the suggested switches. It has to work when plugged into my USB hub (d-link). I tried to use the fcb1010. I see its signal in Cubase, but in the device remote set up, although its port is recognized as ‘usb2midi’ port. I cannot change the values. The same is happening with a mpk49.
Any suggestions?

Hi,

In the Devices Setup, it had to be named the same way as it is in the track.

Why you cannot change the value? So you mean you cannot learn? To do so you have to select the MIDI Port, them click to Apply, then enable learn. Now it works.

Thank you so much, Martin.

None of the videos I watched used the ‘apply’ button, unless I really spaced that one out…

When I set it up this way this morning it worked. Both mpk49 and fcb1010 ports showed up and I was able to control Cubase’s transport controls, even record. After a while though, record would light up but would not start recording, but the other commands still worked …

Now, after reboot the ports are not recognized, no signal, no control. Both devices were plugged into the USB hub (d-link).

I just tested it with mpk’s USB cable directly plugged into the MacBook, same thing: no signal although, starngly enough, the devise port (mpk) showed up in the device set up.

I was wondering if this is somehow related to the necessity to ‘force quit’ Cubase, or a faulty hub?
Regards,
D

Hi,

Please, make sure Cubase didn’t crash while quit. Then it’s not saved. If you Forced Quit, it’s the same issue. Why do you have to force the quit?

I sent an email to Support about this 2 weeks ago, still no answer …
Cubase just doesn’t exit any other way, i have no clue why. There’s no other program which does that.

Hi,

Generate a DMP file and share it via Dropbox or similar service, please.

Once Cubase becomes frozen, open the Task Manager, right-click to Cubase and click to Generate DMP file.

If this doesn’t work, use Microsoft ProcDump utility to generate a DMP file, please.

1. Please download ProcDump64 from Microsoft (~650kB) and extract the archive to a local folder on your harddisk.

2. Run Command Prompt (cmd) as administrator (right click and select “run as administrator”)

3. Navigate (in the Command Prompt) to the folder with the extracted procdump file.
    For example:
    cd C:\ Users \ \ Downloads \ Procdump
    Note: the dmp file will be written into that folder.

4. Launch Cubase/Nuendo. You can work as usual. At any time, change to the command prompt and start procdump, to monitor Cubase/Nuendo for unexpected behavior (see next step).

5. Launch procdump64 via Command Prompt:
    Cubase 11:
    procdump64 -e -h -t Cubase11

Nuendo 11:
procdump64 -e -h -t Nuendo10

The -h option will write a dmp file in case of an application hang. This might kick in too early sometimes, in case some action takes a little longer. Feel free to skip the “-h” option, if you are only up for fetching crashes.
The option -e will catch exeptions and the option -t terminations of the application.

1. Prodump is now monitoring the Cubase/Nuendo process and will write a crash log, in case Cubase/Nuendo crashes or hangs. Perform the action that causes Cubase/Nuendo to crash and send us the generated crash dmp.

ZIP and share the DMP file via Dropbox or similar service, please.