A must-watch for users with real-time issues!

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 8, Cubase Artist 8 and Cubase Elements 8 here.
Gius

Re: A must-watch for users with real-time issues!

Post by Gius » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:58 pm

daveblue222 wrote:I didn't realize a better graphics card would make much of a difference in Cubase. I currently have a Sapphire 5450 1gb card in use, should I upgrade to a 2gb card? Also I am hesitant to buy a card that utilizes fan cooling as this would implement more noise to my recording environment.

Any thoughts?
I got a mac pro 2 months ago I had a Nvidia Cuadro 4000 2gb (or 4?) installed just because it was cheap and possible. I sensed issues and got it replaced with a standard ATI 1gb (the one that would come with that macpro). It worked faster and better for audio. What i think i learned is: some graphic card are POWERFUL (rendering, calculating), other are FAST (gaming, real-time work) and fast is better when you deal with AUDIO.

ALSO the nvidia cuadro 4000 was very noisy. mentioned online by some and confirmed by me! ;)

my 2¢
Yosemite, Mac Pro Mid 2010, 2x3,46 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon, 64 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC, SSD + SATA HD, Cubase 8.5, PT11, Logic Pro X, Ableton Live 9 - - - - - WISH LIST: VST Quick Control pages remote access, Preferences Panel search box, Sequential I/O shortcut

Gius

Post by Gius » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:02 am

aptmusic9 wrote:How about if Steinberg supported it's user community with benchmark test for computer models (both Mac and PC) specifically designed to test the performance of Cubase and Nuendo?
+1
Svenne wrote:We need this. I want to know what motherboards have the lowest DPC latency. There are so many different CPU choices, it seems like Steinberg could fairly easily come out with recommendations. Perhaps that an i7 with high clock speed is performing better than a 10 core xeon at lower clock speed etc (just as an example)
what I think I learned is FAST is more important than POWERFUL.

so fast cpu speed instead of, for example, higher number of cores, or power of them. I mean.. find the fastest between the most powerful with more cores. something like that ;)

my 2¢
Yosemite, Mac Pro Mid 2010, 2x3,46 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon, 64 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC, SSD + SATA HD, Cubase 8.5, PT11, Logic Pro X, Ableton Live 9 - - - - - WISH LIST: VST Quick Control pages remote access, Preferences Panel search box, Sequential I/O shortcut

Henry1970

Post by Henry1970 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:58 pm

Mic2002 wrote:In my dreams I see a Steinberg DAW black box with Cubase hardcoded into it that should have very little chance of glitching or anything else.
Until the dreaded day when they drop support..... :roll:
Mac Pro 5.1 (2010) 2x 3,0 Quad Core, 12 Gig RAM, Cubase 9.5 Pro, WaveLab Elements 7, RME Fireface 800 Audio Interface, Icon Qcon Pro X + XS, Emagic Unitor 8 Mk II, Alesis D4, Kemper Profiling Amp.

Svenne

Post by Svenne » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:20 pm

Henry1970 wrote:
Mic2002 wrote:In my dreams I see a Steinberg DAW black box with Cubase hardcoded into it that should have very little chance of glitching or anything else.
Until the dreaded day when they drop support..... :roll:
... and would never be updated. That's not a dream, that's a nightmare!
Cubase Pro 8.5.20 + IC Pro, WaveLab Elements 9.0.30, Mac Pro 2.8GHz 8-core 8GB, 10.11.6 (El Capitan), MR 816X, Avid Control/Mix, iPad Air (128GB), Cubasis 2.0, iTrack Dock.

wave100

Post by wave100 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:44 am

Norbury Brook wrote:Main thing with Laptops is the bloatware that's installed. Margins are so low companies make more money from having the bloat ware than the actual hardware sale.

MC
I don't agree with this - I think a lot of problems are caused by manufacturers prioritising battery life over realtime audio performance; fine if all you are doing is wondering around surfing the net but not so good for us musicians. Sometimes they can be tweaked to run well, but sometimes not, depending on which power saving options can be turned off in the BIOS.

I do agree that bloatware doesn't help though.
13" MacbookPro late 2012, OS X 10.11.6, Cubase Pro 8.0.40, SPL Crimson, Komplete 10, Arturia V collection 4

jbarkleyprod

Post by jbarkleyprod » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:20 pm

On my opinion manufacturers especially Apple are targeting a complete other clientele than musicians these days. If you compare the new Mac Pro with old ones you will see that you hardly can exchange parts and you are having a hard time installing pcie cards, internal hard drives etc. Nowadays for a PT HDX system you will need Thunderbolt expansion chassis to get things running. On the old Mac Pro's you simply can built them in without the need of that.

Swurveman

Post by Swurveman » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:42 am

jbarkleyprod wrote:On my opinion manufacturers especially Apple are targeting a complete other clientele than musicians these days. If you compare the new Mac Pro with old ones you will see that you hardly can exchange parts and you are having a hard time installing pcie cards, internal hard drives etc. Nowadays for a PT HDX system you will need Thunderbolt expansion chassis to get things running. On the old Mac Pro's you simply can built them in without the need of that.
Unfortunately, some manufacturers are following Apple's lead. Look at Apoggee who has gone all in with the Mac/Thunderbolt platform.
Cubase 10 Pro, Windows 10 , Intel Core i7 CPU, 950 @ 3.07 GHz, 16 GB RAM, , ATI RADEON 5450 Video Card 1GB - Dual DVI, 750GB SATA II 3.0Gb/s 64mb cache Hard Drive (OS), 2 x 1TB SATA II 3.0Gb/s 64mb cache Hard Drive (Media), Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R LGA1366 socket motherboard for Intel® Core™ i7 processor family. (2) Lynx Aurora 16, (2) RME AES 32

violab

Post by violab » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:11 pm

I don't have any issues right now (knocking on wood) but the information in this video was very timely for me as I am a hankerin for a new PC in the near future.

Thanks

Return to “General”